Lancashire Daily Post, July 16th 1921

Fell down 90ft well

While working at a yard at a Liverpool warehouse yesterday, John BEAN, aged 50, fell down a well 90ft deep. A man was lowered by a rope but could only reach 60ft, and had to return. A rescue party was summoned from the Liverpool Fire Brigade and succeeded in bringing BEAN to the surface, but he died before reaching hospital.


Territorial drowned

Bathing accident at Morecambe

A drowning fatality occurred on the Morecambe West End sands last night, when Bombardier W. H. EDWARDS of Liverpool who was in camp at Heysham with the 4th West Lancashire Brigade, Royal Garrison Artillery, Territorials, was drowned near the old stone jetty in sight of a large crowd of people on the promenade and pier.

EDWARDS went out to bathe with Reginald Ashworth CLARK of Liverpool who was teaching him to swim. There was about 4ft of water and the deceased was floating on his back. Meanwhile CLARK swam about. When deceased turned over to regain his feet he apparently got out of his depth and cried for help. CLARK struck out towards him and the watch boat had hastened to the struggling man, but the deceased sank when the boat was only 10 yds away. The body was recovered late last night by fishermen. Many bathing fatalities have occurred at this point over the years.


Dec 12th 1921

A Liverpool Irish "Wake" coffin set on fire

An Irish "wake" which had been in progress since Wednesday of last week resulted in a serious fire in a house in Atkinson St today. Martin SINNOTT, a marine fireman, died last Wednesday and his many friends "waked" him nightly, the proceedings being carried on into the early hours of each morning. Last night fresh candles were placed around the coffin, and it is surmised that the slamming of the street door this morning upset one of the candles. The kitchen, in which the body lay in a lidless coffin, was found to be on fire, and when access was obtained to the room the coffin itself was ablaze. A neighbour succeeded in extinguishing the flames, but not before much damage was done to the room and its contents. A neighbouring shopkeeper is defraying the cost of a new coffin and Martin SINNOTT will be buried tomorrow

Deaths and inquests 1926

Evening Telegraph 21st, January 1926

At a Liverpool inquest on John ROGERS, aged 38, marine engineer who at dinner swallowed his false teeth, it was stated that three unsuccessful operations were performed to recover the teeth, and ROGERS died from pneumonia.

Evening Telegraph 29th, March 1926

At a Liverpool inquest on Joseph Beresford ENSHAW, labourer, who died after an operation for tonsils and adenoids, it was stated the doctors considered him fit for operation, but he collapsed before he had recovered from the anaesthetic

Western Morning News 15th, May 1926

Death sequel to a dream

At a Liverpool inquest on James HUMPHREYS aged 2, it was stated that the boy was taken to hospital suffering from convulsions and a burn. The mother stated a few days later she had a dream in which her father in law, who had recently died, urged her to take the child out of hospital. She did so against the wishes of the staff and the boy died. The father a railwayman, said he considered the dream was a sufficient reason for the child to be removed from hospital.

A verdict in accordance with the medical evidence, that the boy died from pneumonia and convulsions was recorded.

Deaths and inquests 1927

Jan 24th, 1927

Family's plight in new council house, child's death

Conditions in a new Liverpool Corporation house were described at an inquest at Liverpool on Saturday on Ronald SMITH, aged 9 months, the son, one of twins, of John Joseph SMITH, a sergeant in the army of Trouville St, Anfield.

The mother Amy SMITH said they moved into their new house on Wednesday last, the gas pipes were found to be leaking and the gas company would not supply gas until they were repaired. There was no electric light in the house, and only the kitchen fireplace could be used as there was no grates in the bedrooms. Acting on advice they slept the first night in the kitchen and kept the fire going all night for the children's sake, but because damp got into the mattress they slept the next night in one of the bedrooms. They did all they could to protect the sick child from the cold, but death took place on Friday. Medical evidence showed that death was brought about by pneumonia and a verdict of death from natural causes was returned.

March 5th 1927

Liverpool Underwriters death, the death occurred at the age of 87 of Mr Henry T. WALLACE, a familiar figure in the commercial life of Liverpool. A native of Glasgow Mr WALLACE came to Liverpool in 1857 and acted as underwriter for Messers JONES, PALMER and Co, and when the firm became the Sea Insurance Company he was appointed director, a position he held for 70 years, until his death. In 1896 he was appointed a member of the Board of Trade Commission for the Manning of Ships, and for a year was a member of the Liverpool Underwriter's Association. He was the founder of the Wallace Fund for the Scottish Poor in Liverpool and subscribed liberally.

March 16th 1927

Blind man's death after football match, a too-exiting game

While attending the Everton and Leeds United football match a totally blind man, Joseph DAVIS, aged 31, of Brook St, Birkenhead collapsed, and on removal to hospital died. Miss Ellen LEA, informed the Liverpool Coroner at the inquest on Tuesday that 10 minutes before the end of a very exciting game he became ill and she had to assist him out of the ground. Medical evidence showed that death followed excitement on a weak heart. A verdict of natural causes was returned.

Jul 15th 1927

Death of Captain R. C. WARR, Cunard Commodore

Captain R. C. WARR, former Cunard Commodore of the fleet and captain of the famous CAMPANIA when she held the "blue riband" of the Atlantic, died yesterday at Freshfield, near, Liverpool, aged 78, Captain WARR was with the Cunard Company for 33 years, and there was never a more popular commander of an Atlantic liner, he was in command of such ships as the ETRURIA, UMBRIA, CAMPANIA, CARONIA, CARMANIA. He joined a sailing ship at the age of 14, and often told the story of how very seasick he was when he transferred from sail to stream, he had suffered worse from seasickness than thousands of the passengers he had carried.

Jul 19th 1927

Death on train, Liverpool solicitor collapsed

Mr John Dean HYDE, a Liverpool solicitor of the firm of WATSON ATKINSON and HYDE, collapsed and died in a Mersey railway train between Park Station and Hamilton Square Station yesterday. He was travelling from home and had transferred from the Hoylake train to the Mersey Railway, a porter found him lying on the floor of the compartment, he was removed onto the platform where he was found dead.

Aug. 2, 1927,  Nottingham Evening Post

Rowing boat tragedy

Two Liverpool boys drowned

George HEDGES and Leonard BAILEY desk boy and mess boy respectively of the Canadian Pacific liner, Minnedosa, were drowned yesterday, says a Montreal message. Their rowing boat capsized. Both were natives of Liverpool

Sept 12th 1927

Liverpool surgeon's sudden death from Heart Failure after performing an operation

Dr William Thelfall THOMAS the famous Liverpool specialist died from heart failure on Saturday after performing an operation, he was 62, a native of Liverpool, educated at the Liverpool Institute, Glasgow Royal Infirmary and University College Liverpool. He was consulting surgeon at the Liverpool Royal Infirmary, and Emeritus Professor of Regional Surgery and chemical lecturer in surgery at Liverpool University.

Oct 31st, 1927

Mr H. D. BATESON, a familiar figure in the legal life of Liverpool was found dead in bed on Saturday morning. Mr BATESON was one of the principals of Messers BATESON and Co, Solicitors, he was the brother of Mr Justice BATESON, of the Admiralty Division.

Nov 28th 1927

Liverpool City Engineer's death

Mr Harold DICKINSON, the Liverpool City Engineer died at his home in Wallasey yesterday he was aged 60, he was appointed in 1914, having held a similar position in Leeds. He was a member of the Faculty of Engineering at Liverpool University.

Dec 3rd 1927

Workmen's death in ship's tank, rescuers foiled by fumes, smoke helmets used to recover bodies

On Friday the coasting steamer COLIN, belonging to Messers MUNROE Bros, which is undergoing repairs in the Clarence graving dock, was the scene of an accident in which two lives were lost. Two riveters, Harry DAVIES of Kendrick St, Seaforth and Richard LEIGH of Wordsworth St, Bootle who were engaged with acetylene plant in the tank of the vessel were suffocated and their bodies badly burned. It appeared the men entered the tank in the course of their duties, another man heard an explosion and saw smoke coming from the manhole of the tank. At the same time he heard a wailing cry, "Oh Harry" Several gallant attempts were made by fellow-workmen to rescue the men but each was foiled by the overpowering fumes. At length a man named ERLAM of Walton managed to grope his way into the tank and tie a rope round the body of DAVIES, he too was forced to make his way out again owing to the dense smoke. Meanwhile the police and fire brigade were summoned and donning smoke helmets eventually managed to get out the charred bodies of both men, who had apparently been dead for some time.

Dec 7th 1927

Young girl's death, Wallasey man committed for trial

On a charge of murdering Kathleen Lamina COWBURN, aged 15, who died from coal gas poisoning after being found unconscious in his workshop at Wallasey, George GRAHAM, aged 54, cabinet maker, was yesterday committed for trial to Liverpool Assizes.

Dec 19th, 1927

City coroner's death

The death has occurred at his home in Sefton Dr, Liverpool of Mr Andrew Glover INGLIS, aged 62, who acted as city coroner for the past 10 years and from 1904 as deputy coroner, previous to which he was a solicitor. Up to last Wednesday he carried out his duties as coroner, but was advised by his doctor to rest, he died of heart failure and leaves a widow and one son.

December 20th 1927

Tragedy in the Mersey

Big salvage feat ends in death

An heroic rescue attempt

Liverpool Tuesday

Tragedy marred the closing stage of the second big feat of salvage in the Mersey within a week. When the stranded oil tanker Seminole was being taken into dock early this morning Charles F MEIKLE, 41 fitter, employed by the Mersey Docks and Harbour Board fell from a floating camel [a kind of barge] and was drowned.

John FENTON, a labourer 27, of Randle Street, Birkenhead, who immediately plunged into the water, fully dressed in an attempt to save MEIKLE, was seized with cramp and had to be rescued. He now lies at the Sothern Hospital suffering from shock and immersion.

The Seminole an oil tanker owned by the Anglo-American Oil Company Ltd, ran aground on the Pluckington Bank in the Mersey a week ago and late last night the final attempt was made to re-float her and tow her into the Brunswick Dock. A gang of men were working on the camel when the accident happened.

Day and night work

The work of salvaging the Seminole has been continuing night and day and after the tragedy the work proceeded. Wire hawsers from the vessel to the West Brunswick Dock wall were taken advantage of at high tide to re-float the Seminole partly and bring her alongside the quay wall in the Mersey. Shortly after 7am today the final move was made and the Seminole was successfully manoeuvred into the Brunswick Dock. She is berthed in the West Lock. The other oil tanker Tarmarac, to which her salvaged cargo of petrol was being transferred lies on the West side of the Brunswick Dock bow to bow with the Seminole and the work of removing the remainder of the petrol is being continued under more favourable conditions.

Dec 23rd 1927

Looked up chimney to see Santa Claus, child burned to death An inquest was held at Liverpool yesterday on Margaret ASHTON, aged 7, the child of a widow, of Hornby St, Liverpool. An elder sister told the Coroner that the child went to the fire and leaning forward looked up the chimney as a friend had told her if she did she would see Father Christmas. The child's pinafore caught fire and before aid arrived she was badly burned all over the body. A verdict of accidental death was returned.

Deaths and inquests 1928

Jan 2nd 1928

An old woman Sarah Ann HUGHES, aged 73, who lived alone in a flat in Sylvester St, was burned to death today [Sunday]. Shortly after 9am Mrs Mary JONES who occupies a flat on the floor above was returning from mass when she saw flames shooting through the letter-box of Miss HUGHE'S door, she summoned her husband, who with the help of a neighbour burst the door open., he found Miss HUGHES lying behind the door enveloped in flames. She was then dead her night clothes having been burnt off her body The fire was extinguished and only part of the contents of the room were destroyed, Miss HUGHES was in the habit of using a paraffin oil lamp and it is thought she upset the lamp which set fore to her nightdress, in a frantic attempt to call for help she rushed to the door which was bolted but collapsed on reaching it and perished in the flames.

Old woman’s death

A pathetic New Year’s Day tragedy occurred at Liverpool an old woman who lived alone in a tenement being burned to death. The victim was Sarah Anne HUGHES, aged 73.

A neighbour was returning from mass when she saw flames shooting through the letter-box of Miss HUGHE’S door. The door was burst open and Miss HUGHES was found dead enveloped in flames.

Jan 9th, 1928

The death has occurred after a short illness of Captain J. Gordon MUTTER at his residence Taycroft, Broad Green, Liverpool, he was a prominent and popular figure in shipping circles and for many years had been an active member of the Imperial Merchant Service Guild. He went to sea at the age of 9 in a ship commanded by his father who was part owner. His father had a marked aversion to steamers, when father and son were on deck the father would say as a steamer passed, "My boy, never set your foot on one of those wheel-barrows because if you do you will never be a sailor." Captain MUTTER was in command at 21, and served on Liverpool ships and in China.

Feb 10th, 1928

The death took place yesterday at his home, Homefield, Prestatyn of Mr James THORNTON, chairman of Messers William THORTON and Sons Ltd, Liverpool, he was 78 and had been ill since December. He was associated with the erection of many great buildings including Liverpool Cathedral, the Royal Exchange, Manchester, Bangor University, the Adelphi Hotel, Liverpool and the Walker Art Gallery.

Feb 22nd 1928

Death of a Liverpool Solicitor, Mr Samuel Charles CHAMBERS, a well known Liverpool shipbroker, collapsed and died while alighting from a train at Central Station, Liverpool, on his way to business, he was 68.

Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette 25 February 1928

Funeral of Mr H. LEACH, Liverpool stockbroker who died in Bath

The death occurred last week in a Bath nursing home of Mr Harold LEACH, aged 65, a well known Liverpool stockbroker. The funeral took place at Allerton Cemetery in a new family grave. There was a large congregation, composed of some of the leading citizens of Liverpool. The Rev J. EYRE and Rev R. T. LEACH officiated

Feb 25th 1928

Workman crushed to death, pinned by safe weighing 18cwt

While assisting in the removal of a safe weighing 18cwt to an office in the Cunard Buildings, Liverpool, William COULTER, aged 50, a joiner of Premier St, Everton was pinned by the safe against the back of a lift into which it was being pushed on rollers. He was killed instantly.

Mar. 20, 1928, Evening Telegraph

Couple gassed in their sleep

Official’s failure to report leak

An inquest was held at Liverpool into a double tragedy, which the Coroner remarked had been caused by the failure of human element. The deceased was Elizabeth TYRRELL aged 72, widow and her grand-daughter Kathleen DAVIES aged 14, who were found dead in bed in their house in Dryden Street. They had been gassed in their sleep through a leak in a service pipe in the street opposite.

Thomas PRENTON a foreman in the electric cable service of the Corporation said that six weeks ago when a trench was made in Dryden Street, his men discovered a leakage in the gas main opposite Mrs TYRRELL’S house. The hole in the pipe had been covered with insulation tape and waxed over. It was intended reporting the leak to the gas company, but, as witness was called away to attend another job, the “matter went clean out of his mind.”

“I admit,” he said, “that I have been careless and I feel responsibility in this matter.”

The Coroner remarked if the leak had been reported the tragedy would never had occurred. He returned a verdict of accidental death.

A sad feature associated with the occurrence was the fact that Mrs TYRRELL’S son, who has been in Australia for 18 years is homeward bound and due in Liverpool this week in time for the funeral.

May 16th, 1928

Habit of chewing match stick caused death

A boot machinist's habit of breaking a match and chewing the end while at work was presumed at an inquest yesterday at Liverpool to be the cause of death. The inquest was on Evan Herbert JONES, aged 37, who died suddenly from acute peritonitis, a post mortem showed that a splinter of wood had perforated the intestines. An open verdict was returned.

May 24th, 1928

The death too place at his residence Innisfallen, Birkdale, yesterday at the age of 79, of Mr Alexander ALEXANDER, the well known gymnastic instructor and writer. Born a Liverpool he was educated at Liverpool College and Liverpool Institute, apprenticed to John HULLEY, and trained by James MACE, Andre DURBEC [Paris] and J. BECKTON. He was appointed public demonstrator of physical training at Liverpool Gymnasium in 1864, and took to the road in 1870, giving lectures throughout the country in public schools and military stations. He was later Professor of Gymnastics at Trinity College, Dublin and Director of the Liverpool Gymnasium. With Lord GLADSTONE he founded the National Physical Recreation Society.


The death is reported of Mr William Edward PLUMMER director of Liverpool Observatory, at Bidston, Birkenhead in his 80th year. Mr PLUMMER was astronomer to the Mersey Docks and Harbour Board and had been Hon Reader in Astronomy at the University of Liverpool since 1900. After taking his M. A, at Oxford he entered the Royal Observatory Greenwich, subsequently assisting Dr J. R. HIND at Twickenham, he was later senior assistant at Oxford University Observatory, in 1895 he was appointed examiner in astronomy to the University of Edinburgh. His eldest son Mr Henry Crozier PLUMMER is professor of Mathematics in the Artillery College Woolwich and was formerly Royal Astronomer of Ireland.

May 30th 1928

A verdict of death from misadventure was returned at an inquest yesterday at Ormskirk on William COX, aged 13, of Woodcroft Rd, Liverpool. COX was cycling to Southport with another boy on Bank Holiday, when their cycles collided and COX was thrown under an oncoming car and killed instantly. Harry BAKER, woollen merchant, Victoria Place, Leeds, the driver of the car was exonerated from blame.

June 13th, 1928

Accused man's death on eve of assizes

When the Liverpool Assizes opened yesterday it was announced that Lionel ALLEN, aged 50, estate agent, whose name appeared on the calendar on charges of false pretences and fraudulent conversion, had been found dead that morning. He retired the previous evening in good health, the medical opinion was that death was due to coal gas poisoning.

July 30th 1929

At a Liverpool inquest on Saturday concerning the death of Thomas SEEGER, Aged 50, a retired marine engineer, it was stated he had been identified by a broken thumb nail and handwriting contained in a note book. His body was recovered from one of the Liverpool docks, his features were unrecognisable, 15 stones and two pieces of iron weighing 30lbs were found in his pockets. A verdict of suicide while of unsound mind was returned.

July 31st, 1928

Carelessness in taking medicine, Doctor's death from poison

"Medical men are notoriously careless in the way they take medicine themselves" said Professor J. E. W. McFALL of the Liverpool University at an inquest at Liverpool concerning the death of Dr John Pollock NIXON, aged 59, a well known Liverpool physician. During the past 12 months Dr NIZON had been suffering from insomnia and melancholia, he was found under the influence of a narcotic but recovered, two days later he was found dead in bed from the effects of a liquid poison which he was taking for indigestion. A verdict of death from misadventure was returned.

Oct 3rd 1928

Lancashire farmer's death

The death occurred yesterday of Mr John HUYTON, of Firs Farm, Aughton near Ormskirk. A leading West Lancashire farmer, who farmed his holding for many years and was one of the pioneers of cabbage growing in West Lancashire. He was 82, and for 50 years had been a familiar figure of the Liverpool and Ormskirk produce markets.

Nov. 24, 1928, Nottingham Evening Post

Killed by a falling tree

Gale Tragedy

A verdict of “Accidental Death” was returned at an inquest at Liverpool today on Bridget McGRATH, aged 64, a cook employed by Dr NELSON, of Beech Rd, Allerton.

McGRATH who belonged to Fanningstown, Waterford, was walking along Allerton Rd, when a tree crashed in the gale and fell on her. Dr MORT, Coroner, said that the confidence of the public would be shaken the dangers of the streets would be added to by fallen trees. In certain gales even the strongest trees might be torn up.

The jury recommended other trees in the vicinity should be examined.

Dec 7th 1928

The death is announced of Councillor J. H. DOVENER of Newsham Park, Liverpool, at the age of 59. He was past president of the Cinematograph Exhibitors Association of Great Britain and controlled a number of cinemas

Dec 12th, 1928

Sir Archibald SALVIDGE, leader of the Liverpool City Council and of the Conservative Party died yesterday after an illness lasting a month, his last public appearance was at the election of Alderman H. M. MILLER as Lord Mayor on November 9th, on the same evening he fell ill with blood poisoning and has not left his bed since.

Dec 15th 1928

Liverpool man lost

Disappears from house on Scottish Island

The police on the Isle of Arran, Firth of Clyde are investigating the disappearance from the lonely adjoining Holy Island of Donald James McPHERSON, aged 33, of Trevor Rd, Orrel Park, Liverpool, who has been missing since last Saturday. He arrived on the island recently to recover from a serious illness, and was staying with relations, Mr and Mrs COOK, on a farm on the north side of the island. Mr and Mrs COOK, say they heard a noise in Mr McPHERSON'S room during the night on which he disappeared, but paid no attention. It is feared the missing man must have gone out for a walk and fallen into the sea after missing his way in the dark.

Deaths and inquests 1929

Evening Telegraph 18th, January 1929

Suicide whilst of unsound mind, was the verdict at a Liverpool inquest on John CAIN, aged 51, fruit salesman of Pownall Square, who cut his throat and drank poison the day after a summons for assault taken out against him by his wife had been adjourned by the city Magistrates.

Derby Daily Telegraph 7th, March 1929

Delay causes tragedy

Death of Tanner from Anthrax

It was stated at a Liverpool inquest yesterday on a man who died from Anthrax, that his life would have been saved if he was sent to hospital a day earlier and treated with an injection of serum.

A verdict of Death from Anthrax, contracted at work, was returned and the jury added the following rider, "We recommend that in tanneries and all places where anthrax is likely to be contracted that an arrangement should be made whereby all suspected cases should be examined and given a serum if necessary any hour of the day or night."

The inquest was on William Ronald WILLIAMSON, aged 26, a tannery labourer of Cartwright St, Runcorn.

It was stated that WILLIAMSON dealt with the hides from the Cape, East and West Africa and Madagascar.

Evening Telegraph 13th, June 1929

A verdict of Accidental death was returned at Liverpool at the inquest on Mrs Edith ROWLANDS, aged 41, of Liscard Rd, Wavertree, who was killed when riding pillion on a motor cycle which crashed into a wagon.

Evening Telegraph 25th, July 1929

Accidental death was the verdict recorded yesterday at a Liverpool inquest on Annie Jane WATKINS, aged 70, who owing to being short sighted walking into a Liverpool park lake and was drowned.

Aug. 9, 1929, Gloucester Citizen

Burned to death in packing case

Mother helpless witness of tragedy

A Liverpool boy was burned to death in sight of his mother and brother in a great wooden packing case at Norris Green, Liverpool, last night.

Percy MORSLAND, aged 6, of Broad Lane, Norris Green, was playing with his brother Harold, aged 8, in the garden at the back of their home, and in the garden was a large wooden packing case. Percy climbed with the help of his brother in the packing case, which they filled with straw. He presumably had a match with which he set a light to the straw.

Flames immediately shot up and Harold mad frantic efforts to rescue Percy, but the case was to high for him to scale. Harold called his mother who was unable to reach the boy. A man from the adjoining shop was called, and flinging himself at the case, turned it on its side, but could not get near enough to extricate him owing to the intense heat. The boy was dead when the fire brigade arrived


Yorkshire Post August 15th 1929

Ptomaine poisoning

Six children in hospital

Six children, whose ages range from eight months to thirteen years were admitted to Alder Hey Hospital, yesterday suffering from ptomaine poisoning, which may be due to the consumption of sausages. Two of the children are stated to be rather ill, and all are receiving treatment.

The children belong to a family named JONES of Aigburth View, Lark Lane, and the father is a blind newsagent. Mr JONES stated that his children all ate a meal of sausages on Tuesday evening and during the night each one was taken ill. A doctor was called and all were taken to the Southern Hospital and later to Alder Hey Hospital. Other members of the family who did not eat the sausages were not ill.

  Oct. 16, 1929, Evening Telegraph

Liverpool Infirmary Tragedy

Patient Found Dead in Courtyard

An early morning tragedy was discovered today at Liverpool Royal Infirmary, where a patient named Robert SOUTHERN was found lying dead on the flagged courtyard beneath a third storey window.

Southern a labourer whose home was near Liverpool, was admitted to hospital some weeks ago suffering from an internal complaint. His wife told the police that he was cheerful when she visited him on Sunday, but had been depressed previously following an operation.

Death of a Boxer, 1928


© 2012 all rights reserved