Death of a Sefton Harrier 1928

Jan 25th 1928

Harrier's collapse during run

Death from heart failure

A verdict that death resulted from excessive exertion was returned by the Coroner at the inquest at Huyton yesterday on Harold Gordon ABRAM, aged 19, of Weldon St, Liverpool, who collapsed during a cross-country run with the Sefton Harriers and was found dead in a field the next day.

The course was one of five miles, starting and finishing at the clubhouse and was to be covered twice.

Mr Joseph HORNE an official of the Sefton Harriers, said he saw ABRAM at the end of the first five miles. He was well behind although not last of the runners. Seeing that ABRAM had no chance in the race he called to him to finish and go into the clubhouse. ABRAM, however, went on running. Early on Sunday morning Mr HORNE was told that ABRAM was missing and that several members had been over the course but had failed to find him. He organised a search party and found ABRAM dead, lying face downwards in a ploughed field on the Gilmoss Farm, Croxteth, about 700 yards wide of the correct trail.

Mr HORNE said that when he called to ABRAM it was not because the youth showed any signs of distress, but because he realised he could not possibly catch up with the others. If he had been distressed he would have compelled him to drop out of the race immediately.

Dr G. E. GREEN who made a post mortem examination, said that ABRAM died from acute dilation of the heart caused by excessive strain from running. He agreed that some heart weakness, not-in evidence, must have been in existence. The Coroner said no blame was attached to Sefton Harriers, who had done all that was possible.

Death of a Boxer at the Liverpool Stadium 1928

Death of a Boxer at the Liverpool Stadium 1928

June 4th, 1928

Boxer's death in hospital

Unconscious after fifteen-round contest

The death occurred on Saturday evening at the Royal Infirmary Liverpool of "Tosh" POWELL, the Aberdare boxer, who had been admitted to the institution the previous evening following participation in a 15 round contest at the local Stadium. During the last round of the contest POWELL, who had been out-pointed throughout, went down for a long count and shortly afterwards after rising went down again, and the referee stopped the fight, awarding the verdict to his opponent. POWELL was promptly conveyed to the hospital suffering from concussion, and his father who had been summoned, sat at his bedside throughout the night waiting for his son to recover consciousness.

"Billy" HOUSEGO of London who was POWELL'S opponent in the bout, states the POWELL and he were great friends. They had met in three bouts. The contest is described as having been an extremely clean one. Statements of witnesses of the fight have been taken by the police.

In ordinary life POWELL was a collier.

June 6th, 1928

Boxer's death after contest

"Coerced into Fighting"

Jury censure Stadium management

Liverpool Tuesday, A Liverpool coroner's jury today in returning a verdict of accidental death in the case of "Tosh" POWELL, the Welsh bantam-weight champion boxer, who died after a knock-out blow in a 15 rounds contest with "Billy" HOUSEGO, at the Liverpool Stadium, added a rider that "the Stadium authorities are deserving of censure for using coercion in making the boy fight"

Richard POWELL, father of the youth who was aged 20, stated that owing to a strained wrist and to the fact that his son had been out of training and was 3lb heavier than the required weight, his manager, Ted LEWIS had been asked to cancel the contest. On Thursday the day before the date of the fight, a telegram was received from LEWIS stating that if POWELL did not carry out the contract he would be reported to the British Board of Boxing Control, which would mean that he would be suspended from appearing in any ring for some months. In the face of the telegram the lad decided to fulfil his engagement, against the advice of the witness.

Describing the fight his father stated that in the last round his son was knocked down but rose on the seventh count. He then fell backwards and his opponent delivered several blows on his body, and the referee stopped the contest and awarded the match to HOUSEGO on points.

Mr A. H. TAYLOR a director of the Stadium, said he received a telegram from POWELL'S manager saying that POWELL had received an injury and it was impossible for him to enter the contest. He replied saying that unless POWELL appeared he would be reported to the British Board of Boxing Control. He then received a letter from LEWIS saying the boy would appear. Witness testified to the fact that the match was cleanly fought, and HOUSEGO gave evidence stating that he was surprised when POWELL fell under his blows.

The medical evidence showed that death was caused by the rupture of a blood vessel at the base of the brain, the result of a fall.

2012 all rights reserved