Manchester Courier and Lancashire General Advertiser 02 June 1900

Serious attack on a wife at St Helens

At the St Helens Police Court on Thursday, James HELSBY, painter of 78 Stanhope St, was charged with causing a breech of the peace

Manchester Courier and Lancashire General Advertiser 08 December 1900

Plucky arrest by police constable

At the St Helens Police Court on Tuesday a young fellow named William EVANS was charged with breaking into the shop of Eastmans Ltd, 45 Bridge St and stealing a cleaver and knife, valued at 5s. Police Constable GLEAVE stated that on passing the shop he heard a noise inside. He shone his lamp through an aperture in the shutter and saw prisoner standing in the shop. The back door was secure, he climbed onto the roof and found the glass had been removed from a skylight, by which the prisoner had obtained access to the premises. The constable entered the shop through a back window and found the prisoner lying underneath a window board concealed in some sawdust. He seized hold of him, and prisoner said, It is a good cop this time, but I wish I had put the knife across my throat. Prisoners was committed to the sessions.

Manchester Courier and Lancashire General Advertiser 22 December 1900

St Helens hotel keeper charged

At the St Helens Police Court on Monday before Mr Thomson, George Thomas RIPLEY of the White Hart Hotel, one of the best known hotel keepers in the town was summoned for being drunk and disorderly in Church St on December 7th. PC. BRADLEY, Inspector GOODALL and two other police witnesses gave evidence that defendant was drunk. Mr RILEY for the defence said the defendant had been a licensee in the town for over 28 years, he was a man of very excitable temperament and because a loafer had cast an imputation upon his house he gave way to his indignation. Defendant was called and said he was not drunk but very excited. Several other witnesses were called who said RIPLEY was sober. The Bench thought there was a doubt of the case and gave the defendant the benefit of it, dismissing the case.

Manchester Courier and Lancashire General Advertiser 02 January 1901

One of Roberts Horse in trouble

An interesting career

A corporal in Roberts Horse named John Benson WELLS of Liverpool, one of the prisoners in the dock at St Helens Police Court yesterday, but the charge of drunkenness was dismissed owing to the season. In conversation with the Bench, he said he went to Canada in 1890, and was on the Indian frontier in 1891 with the 9th Royal Horse Artillery. He volunteered for two years and was afterwards in Egypt and went through the battle of Omdurman with Lord Kitchener.

After that he went out to South Africa and was with Buller in his attempt to relieve Ladysmith. He was wounded in Colenso by a bullet which smashed his jawbone, going in at one cheek and leaving at the other. He was with Buller up to Spton Kop and afterwards came back through Fourteen Streams, Magersfontein and Bloemfontein and was at Pretoria when the Union Jack was hoisted. He came to England last Friday and today will be going to South Africa to rejoin his regiment. The Clerk observed he had, had a very interesting career.

Manchester Courier and Lancashire General Advertiser 27 April 1901

Dishonesty of a Tram Guard

At the St Helens Police Court on Thursday a young man named William Henry GUEST, who has been employed as a tram conductor on the St Helens electric cars, was charged with stealing 2d, belonging to his employers and was fined 40s and costs.

Manchester Courier and Lancashire General Advertiser 03 August 1901

At the St Helens Police Court on Tuesday a man named Daniel McDERMOT of Back Bolton St, was sent to gaol for 3 months for neglecting his wife and two children and leaving them chargeable to the common fund of the Prescot Union.

A powerful young fellow named Thomas GORRY of Bold St was charged with committing an aggravated assault upon a young woman named Mary RYAN. The prosecutor expressed a desire to withdraw the case but it was evident it was through fear of the prisoner. The prosecutor stated that on Saturday afternoon he came to the house wanting to fight with her brother. He was not in the prisoner then knocked her down and kicked her. Prisoner had been before the magistrates 13 times and had gone to gaol on 12 occasions. The magistrates sent the prisoner to gaol for four months without the option of a fine.

Manchester Courier and Lancashire General Advertiser 21 September 1901

Mischievous Boys

At St Helens yesterday four small boys, Peter and Edward MERCER, James RADLEY and Joseph HUME were charged with damaging railway wagons a fortnight ago. Defendants lifted the brakes from wagons standing on the incline at Alexandra Colliery and started them off. They ran 130 yards and one wagon overturned, several pounds damage was caused. HULME, the youngest boy was dismissed, the others were bound over, the Mayor said the offence was very serious.

Manchester Courier and Lancashire General Advertiser 26 October 1901

At the St Helens Police Court on Monday James FEIGH, a well known loafer, who had been convicted 78 times was charged with aggravated assault on his sister, with whom he lived in Barbers Court. She stated that on Saturday morning he came downstairs and without any provocation, gave her a savage kick in the mouth, knocking her senseless and causing her to lose a great quantity of blood. Prisoner was committed to gaol for 4 months with hard labour.

Nottingham Evening Post 14 January 1902

A costly kiss

Yesterday at St Helens Police Court Arthur SUTCLIFFE of 5 Lord St, Stockport, was charged with assaulting a young lady, named Florence Hilda PIMBLETT, who stated she was an art student at the Gamble Institute. On Monday night she was coming from the institute when SUTCLIFFE took hold of her arm and forced her into Claughton St, where he kissed her. Defendant who did not appear was fined 5 pounds and costs or 2 months imprisonment.

Preston Herald, April 15th 1903

Explosion at St Helens

Six persons injured

On Monday a remarkable accident occurred at the house 34 Arthur Street, St Helens, occupied by a widow Mrs COLLINS and her three children. They along with two neighbours Mrs MORT and Mrs CUNLIFFE, were at 2pm seated in a semi-circle round the fire, on which fresh fuel had been placed.

Mrs COLLINS youngest child lay naked on its mother’s lap, its mother about to wash it, when a terrific explosion occurred, the entire party being hurled to the floor.

It seems that the explosive was what others call a “cap” which somehow had been embedded in the coal. The child was badly injured about the face and abdomen, and the other children were wounded about the legs, but their injuries were of a minor character.

It is thought probable all will recover.


Western Times 01 March 1905

St Helens mystery

Two policemen seriously injured by gun fire

Assailants escape

A mysterious shooting affair took place in the neighbourhood of Newtown, St Helens on Monday in the early hours, Constable ADAMS a well known member of the St Helens police force while proceeding down the street was suddenly struck by some pellets from a rifle. He fell but managed to regain his feet and summon the assistance of a passer by. After being attended by a doctor he was removed to hospital where he was discovered to have several pellets embedded in his shoulder. The assailant is unknown.

Another murderous assault occurred upon a County Constable at Eccleston Village three miles from St Helens A shot was heard and subsequently Constable HOWELLS who had been patrolling the district was discovered bleeding profusely from wounds about the neck and shoulders. He was carried into the police station where he was medically attended.

Twenty pellets were found in HOWELLS left arm, after the shot was fired HOWELL discovered a man crouching behind a hedge and closed with him. During a struggle which continued for twenty minutes , it is stated the assailant drew a knife and inflicted terrible gashes to the back of HOWELLS neck, one three inches long and two inches deep. HOWELL relinquished his hold through lack of blood and his assailant who he recognised said, Now I have done for you. Then escaped in the direction of Prescot and is still at large HOWELL lies in a precarious condition.

Manchester Courier and Lancashire General Advertiser 03 June 1905

Explosives on a tramline

Sequel to St Helens strike

At the St Helens Police Court on Thursday Thomas BAILEY, a tram guard on strike, was fined 20s and cost for resisting the police.

A police officer stated that at 12 midnight on Wednesday he saw BAILEY and other men standing on the tram lines in Church St. A tram came up and as it reached the place where the men had been standing there was a loud report, caused by the explosion which was afterwards found to be chlorate of potash. The men ran away and witness followed them. He caught one man whereupon the prisoner came up, seized him by the collar and in the struggle both men got away.

The Chief Constable said there was sufficient explosive material to destroy the motor car if it struck at the point evidently expected.

Manchester Courier and Lancashire General Advertiser 24 June 1905

St Helens tragedy

At St Helens on Monday a jury returned a verdict of manslaughter against Edward RYAN, a collier, who is alleged to have caused the death of his sister Maria PILKINGTON by striking her on the head with a clog, on the 9th inst, inflicting a wound from which she died on Wednesday last.

Manchester Courier and Lancashire General Advertiser 04 July 1905 Yesterday at St Helens Police Court, John GOULDING, labourer, of Parr St, was charged with attempting to murder his wife on the 18th June by cutting her throat with a razor. Subsequently he jumped into a canal and on being rescued and arrested he said he wished he had cut her head off. He was committed for trial at the Assizes. Manchester Courier and Lancashire General Advertiser 21 April 1906

Singular abduction case

Futile claim of grandmother

A pathetic scene was witnessed at the St Helens Police Court yesterday when Mrs SHAWCROSS of Edge Hill, Liverpool, was summoned along with her husband for taking the child of their dead daughter away from the custody of Mr J. C. PROCTOR of Bickerstaffe St, St Helens, into whose custody the child was given by the father previous to his departure for America.

The grandmother alleged she was unable to get access to the child and it was neglected.

The Chairman said that if this was true Mrs SHAWCROSS must make an application to the County Court, but they were obliged to order the return of the child.

Lancashire Evening Post 07 February 1907

Where thieves are heroes

At the St Helens Police Court yesterday John and Patrick WEEDS and their mother Mary Ann WOODS, with Joseph SKELLY and Joseph LEDWITH stood in the dock charged with stealing a large quantity of clothing from a van which had been left in the yard of the Star Hotel. The Chief Constable said a certain locality in the town was nothing less than a den of thieves, who were leagued together.

Detective CURRAN said that in this quarter of the town thieves were looked upon as heroes.

Manchester Courier and Lancashire General Advertiser 27 August 1907

An assurance Assignment

Unsuccessful claim by mother

At the St Helens Police Court yesterday Mrs Alice RILEY made an insurance claim for fifteen pounds against the United Provident Assurance Company. It appeared she had effected a life policy on her son and paid the premiums until twelve months ago, when a neighbour Mrs LEONARD assisted her to to continue them. The son being in bad health, Mrs LEONARD thought it advisable to obtain an assignment of the policy. The insurance agent accepted sixpence in premiums but afterwards said they would not recognise the assignment. They contended that the company had never been informed that the son suffered from chronic phthisis. He eventually died from the disease. The Bench gave judgement for the company, but said the agent should not have accepted the life and hoped the company would be generous with the plaintiff.

Manchester Courier and Lancashire General Advertiser 28 August 1907

Yesterday at St Helens Police Court, Ernest WILLS, a soldier was charged with being drunk and disorderly, and also breaking seven windows the property of William WILLS, of St Thomas St. He was found hiding in the next yard and when he saw the constable, commenced to use foul language and threatened to commit murder. WILLS told the Bench he was drunk and did not know what he was doing. He was ordered to pay 24 s or 14 days imprisonment.

17 September 1907

Children as steeplejacks

Yesterday at St Helens Police Court, John Thomas AKIENS a steeplejack of Leicester was charged with causing his children Baden aged 5, Gertrude aged 7, and Lydia aged 15, to give public exhibitions by climbing a chimney 110ft high, thereby endangering their lives.

The defendants children had climbed a chimney in St Helens and the Home Secretary instituted these proceedings. The defendant stated it had always been the custom for his family to be trained as steeplejacks from infancy. The defendant was bound over not to allow such practises until the children were of proper age.

Manchester Courier and Lancashire General Advertiser 18 April 1908

St Helens police yesterday reported to the Coroner the death of William James SMITH, aged 9 of 375 Fleet Lane. He had been in the habit of going to the lamp room at the Ashtons Green Colliery in the evenings, and while lighting a lamp he set his clothes on fire. Shockingly burned , he was removed to hospital, where he succumbed.

Manchester Courier and Lancashire General Advertiser 01 August 1908

Professional jealousy

David TRAYNOR, the famous Lancashire three quarter back, was yesterday bound over to keep the peace for twelve months at the St Helens Police Court.

It was alleged he went to a public house kept by the father of James CREEVY, who is captain of the St Helens team. He created a disturbance inviting CREEVY to come outside, and threatened to murder him. TRAYNOR was armed with a hammer.

The father of CREEVY said the only explanation he could give for the threats was that the reputation of TRAYNOR as a player had gone down and the reputation of his son had gone up.

Manchester Courier and Lancashire General Advertiser 23 September 1908

Apron full of bricks husband fettled with a brush

An extraordinary story of assault was unfolded yesterday at St Helens Police Court, the defendant David BATES who was alleged to have maltreated Amos and Elizabeth BULL. BATES is the brother of Elizabeth and it was alleged he bit the cheek of his brother in law and hurled bricks which his wife carried in her apron at the windows of the house, one missile striking Mrs BULL. The daughter of BATES said she and her mother would not have any beer with them as they had made it up to be

teetotal till Christmas and then they would have a good do. She heard her Aunt Ly she had fettled her husband with the brush. She alleged she was hit with a plate which came from her Aunt Lizzie, there were also cabbages, tomato cans and buckets of water thrown.

Defendant told the bench that he had bought five quarts of beer and his wench had bought seven or eight. As soon as his sister had the first cupful she started dancing. The bench fined prisoner five pounds and costs or two months imprisonment.

Manchester Courier and Lancashire General Advertiser 23 March 1909

Yesterday at St Helens Police Court, John OWEN, a daywageman, was committed for trial on a charge of bigamy. The evidence showed last summer while at Ramsey with the Manchester Regiment of Territorials he met a Miss Emily KISSACK and walked out with her. In December he went through the form of a marriage with her, telling her he was a single man. His wife who was living at St Helens intercepted certain letters, which led to the police ascertaining that he had committed bigamy.

Preston Herald 03 July 1909

Pitiful story child neglect at St Helens

A sentence of 3 months imprisonment was passed upon Eliza GALLAGHER, Lyon St, St Helens at the St Helens Police Court, on Tuesday for neglecting her 18 month old child.

Mr LUFF told the Bench a pitiful story about the habits of the woman, her husband gave her plenty of money but it went on drink. PC ADAMS said that whenever he went to the house he had found the woman drunk. Once he saw her with the child in her arms with its head hanging down in a suffocating position, he had to shake her violently to rouse her. She had sold bread and coal to get drink.

Liverpool Echo 16 January 1914

Complications at St Helens

A comical scene was witnessed at St Helens Police Court today, when Peter PAINTER of Campbell St, summoned Samuel WALKER, a collier for alleged assault.

In the witness box PAINTER was quite unable to relate the story of the assault. The clerk thereupon asked the defendant how it happened.

Defendant, He has come between me and my landlady, he has got more money than me [laughter]

The landlady lady was called to solve the problem and said she had three children by the defendant.

Defendant, No four.

The Clerk, I do not care if you have a Noahs Ark full, what about the assault ?

Landlady, Defendant lodged with me but since PAINTER came he was vexed. He left a month ago and came back last Saturday and assaulted PAINTER.

Defendant was bound over.

Liverpool Echo 25 February 1918

At St Helens today Mary Ann POTTER, 31 Liverpool St, was fined 2 pounds for assaulting a soldier she met in a chip shop.

George WHITE aged 18, was sent to prison for 6 months on three charges of theft, he got work at a garage and stole a pair of boots.

Arthur WILLIAMS, OF 19 Peckers Hill Rd, was fined 5 pounds for overcharging for potatoes.

J. GOODBAN, 89 Junction Lane, was fined 20s on a similar charge.

Marie BURROWS, College St was fined 10s for failing to comply with the Horse rationing Order.


© 2016 All Rights Reserved