Northern Times Feb 19th 1855

The wounded soldiers in the workhouse

Three of the soldiers lately returned from the Crimea, have expired they will be interred at St James Cemetery with full Military Honours

20th Feb

Soldiers funeral yesterday

Names of the deceased - GOODALL, SPINKS and EVANS, the two former died of wounds sustained at Crimea, the latter of diarrhoea.

The firing party consisted of a detachment of the Royal Lancashire Artillery and the staff establishment under the command of Capt FRYER. There was a large attendance to witness the last of the noble fellows.

A sister of GOODALL’S came from the South of England to witness the ceremony. The Rev J. HOLME performed the funeral rites.

The Campbells

The Campbells

Northern Times, March 16th 1855

The Derby Family

A Scottish writer discussing some of the events of the CAMPBELL family says :- Perhaps the following account of the marriage of Lady Betty Hamilton CAMPBELL of Islay, aunt and grandmother of the present Earl of Derby maybe a little more amusing -

“Scots magazine - 1774, 23rd June, Married at London, Lord Stanley to Lady Betty, only daughter of the late Duke of Hamilton, whose mother is now Duchess of Argyle.

In prospect of this marriage a most splendid entertainment under the title of fete champetre, was given by Lord Stanley at his seat in Oaks, in Surrey on Thursday, June 9th, conducted by General BURGOYNE [of American Memory] which began at six in the evening and lasted till past three in the morning.

The day closed with dancing and the night opened with a display of a suite of grand rooms erected for the occasion. The music the illuminations, the ornaments, and the profusion displayed on the tables and sideboards, cannot be easily described. Nearly 300 nobility were present. Lord Stanley and Lady Hamilton opened the second ball.”

[Alas, for all this grandeur, Lady Betty turned out a naughty girl, whom Lord Stanley divorced, and then married the celebrated Miss FARREN with whom he lived happily]

Northern Times, March 21st 1855

Sir Colin CAMPBELL’S History - Mr P. S. MACLIVER of Newcastle-on-Tyne a relative of Sir Colin CAMPBELL writes to correct some errors which have got abroad regarding the origins of his illustrious relative. He says :-

Sir Colin’s mother married a native of Islay named John MACLIVER a Cabinet Maker. The issue of the marriage were 2 sons and a daughter. The eldest son Sir Colin, the youngest John who held a commission in her Majesty’s service, but died many years since. Sir Colin’s mother died first, and when Sir Colin was but a boy, but his father, to my knowledge, was a few years ago living on the island of Mull, a recipient of his noble son’s bounty and kindly offices. The name CAMPBELL was adopted by Sir Colin to gratify an uncle by the mother’s side, who bore that name, and had some influence in the army.

The influence, procured a commission for Sir Colin and his brother. That the real name is MACLIVER may be easily ascertained by reference to the records of Tron Parish, in which John MACLIVER lived for many years and Sir Colin was born. There must, moreover be several of John MACLIVER’S fellow workmen still in Glasgow, who remember him when employed by the firm Jack PATERSON and Co, cabinet Makers.


Liverpool Mercury, Aug 28th 1855

On Saturday 500 workpeople from the Sutton Plate Glass Works went on their annual excursion at the expense of their employers, by water to Bangor and the Menai Bridge, animated by a band, they spent the day there in recreation, returning in the evening pleased with their days pleasure

The Sutton Parish Church Schools on Friday had their day of festivity, , they walked in procession preceded by Moorflat School Fife Band to the Rev H. E. F. VALLENCEY’S, Mr William PILKINGTON Jnr’s at Sherdley Hall, were they were liberally regaled with refreshments.



Liverpool Mercury, Aug 27th 1856


On Monday last a boy named John DEANE, of 15 Court, Stewart St was severely injured on board the ship WEST POINT lying in the Victoria Dock, by a log of timer falling on him. On the same day, a sailor boy names James STEWART fell into the hold of the ship EAST INDIAN, in the Wellington Dock and fractured his arm. Yesterday a serious accident occurred to a young man named Patrick CORKHILL, a baker, of, 1 Court, Shaws Brow, in the employment of Messers J. BROWN and Co shipbread bakers, Coopers Row. Whilst feeding one of the machines with dough his right arm was drawn in with the roller and completely mashed as far up as the elbow. The arm was immediately amputated at the Northern Hospital. John CRUMP a carter residing in Eaton St had several ribs fractured by a bale of cotton falling on him from his cart in Dutton St.



Liverpool Mercury Jan 5th 1857


Fire in White St

On Saturday morning at about 4am a fire broke out in the rice mill in White St, belonging to R. M. STORER and Co. The premises are extensive and contain a considerable amount of stock, the fire brigade from Temple Court attended and the West of England brigade. There being a plentiful supply of water, the firemen got their apparatus immediately into operation to subdue the flames, the fire burnt rapidly for a short time, but, within an hour it was got under and all further danger was at an end. The upper portion of the building is gutted, it will be necessary to take down the building and rebuild. A large quantity of rice was destroyed, the damage considerable, it is understood the loss is covered by insurance.

Fire in Birkenhead Town Hall

This diminutive public building which is notorious for its ill construction, as well as its damp and filthy condition, had on Friday a narrow escape from being burnt down. During the sitting of the county court, the judge J. W. HARDEN Esq, who was seated on the bench, suddenly perceived that the stove, which was close to him, had become heated, and that the fire had ignited the woodwork at the back of his honour’s seat. The assistant bailiff was communicated with and endeavoured to extinguish what was first a few sparks, a volume of smoke issued forth and filled the old building, much to the annoyance of the legal gentlemen and the suitors in attendance.. Mr BRETHERTON proposed the fire brigade be sent for, whilst Mr RYMER expressed the opinion that it would be better the Town Hall be destroyed at once, then the commissioners would be under the necessity of erecting a commodious building that would do credit to the town. His Honour deemed it doubtless, inexpedient, that public business should be indefinitely suspended by the destruction of the building and sent for the police, adjourning the court for 20mins. Supt BERNIE and the fire brigade soon made their appearance and with buckets of water, and removing some of the burning woodwork, the fire was quickly extinguished. The circumstance produced considerable amusement and many people were of the opinion that the hall ought to have been demolished as it reflected no credit on the commissioners of the township or the magistracy of the Hundred of Wirral.


Mr T. PELLOWE has been promoted from 1st class clerk for general business to be a principal clerk at Liverpool. Mr J. BURR has been promoted from 2nd to 1st class clerk for general business at Liverpool.

Lieut Col TOWNELEY of Townley has been appointed High Sheriff of Lancashire for the ensuing year, Mr EASTWOOD of Burnley will be under-sheriff. The legal duties of shrievalty will be discharged by Messers WILSON Son and DEACON of Preston. Colonel TOWNELEY’S father, the late Mr P. E. TOWNELEY was the first Roman Catholic sheriff of Lancaster after the Reformation. He served the office in 1830, the first year after the passing of the Emancipation Act.

Australian emigration

There has been a considerable increase in the past year in the number of ships as well as passengers despatched from this port to Australia. The number of passengers was nearly 23,000, who embarked chiefly to Melbourne, Sydney and Geelong. Of these 16,000 were conveyed by private ships, about 7,000 by the emigration commissioners. The number of vessels that left the port was 125 with an aggregate tonnage of 140,652 tons.

Annual festivity

The members of the Waterloo Glee Club celebrated their anniversary by dining together on Wednesday evening last , at the house of Mr Edward GREENE, Waterloo Inn, Grange Lane, Birkenhead. The dinner was served up in a manner highly creditable to the good taste and management of the worthy host. The chair was occupied by Mr J. HUGHES, and the vice-chair by Mr E. GREENE. After the removal of the cloth, the chairman gave the usual loyal and patriotic toasts, which were duly responded to and a most agreeable evening was spent, the company being highly gratified with the evenings entertainment.

Presentation to Superintendent of Police

On Friday afternoon at the police court Bury, Mr John SELLARS, Superintendent of police, was presented with a purse containing Ł108, which had been contributed by the magistrates of the division, some of the magistrates, clerks and a number of the gentlemen of the town and neighbourhood. The presentation was made on the retirement of Mr SELLERS from the Bury division, where he has filled the duties of Superintendent for the last 10yrs. He has been appointed to succeed Mr MILNE as superintendent in the Bootle division near Liverpool and Mr MILNE has been appointed superintendent of the Bury division.

The Liverpool Mercury Nov 4th, 1857


At Birkenhead yesterday afternoon Andrew WHELAN, a labourer, employed at the new docks, under Messers THOMSON contractors was accidentally run over by a number of waggons, sustaining a fractured a arm, and shocking bruising to his leg. He was removed to hospital in Hamilton St and lies in a dangerous state.

On Monday KENNEDY, a mason of 62 Stanhope St received a severe injury to his side from a plank falling on him while employed at the bottom of the Coburg Dock. Received at the Southern Hospital.

Emily WILSON, fell down the steps of a house in Chaloner St, where she resides and received a severe wound to the knee. Received at the Southern Hospital.

Yesterday James BELL, a seaman, residing in Bridgewater St while employed in lowering anvils on board a vessel in the Albert Dock, had his great toe so severely fractured as to render amputation necessary. Received at the Southern Hospital.

Frederick SHULTZ, a seaman belonging to the Anna and Bertha was helping to raise a piece of timber, when the "dogs" gave way, caught him in the groin and tore the flesh in two places. Received at the Southern Hospital.

On Monday Henry JONES, a sailor of Denison St went on board the ship Universe in the Nelson Dock, for the purpose of obtaining payment of a bill, when a quarrel took place between himself and another man, the latter drew a knife and stabbed him in the back. He is in a dangerous state. Received at the Northern Hospital.

William NEWMAN a boy of about 8, was running behind a car in Burlington St, he fell down and another car passed over him, fracturing his right arm and causing various contusions. Received at the Northern Hospital.

Robert PARKINSON, a plasterer in the employ of the East Lancashire Railway, jumped off some waggons while going at a rate of 20 mph, he fell and received concussion to the brain. Received at the Northern Hospital.

Copyright 2002 / To date