Snippets 1899

Liverpool Mercury, Jan 7th 1899

Fund for comedian

A fund which is meant to make happy, the closing years of Frederic MACCABE, is growing and growing, already £150 is in the hands of the treasurer, it is hoped the, matinee at the Empire Theatre on Friday, 21st inst, will result in a substantial filling of the coffers, of those working to make the closing days of the noted comedian, easier.

On Tuesday an interesting meeting was held at the London and North Western cocoa rooms, Dock Rd, Garston, when a handsome gold watch and guard and a tea and coffee service, were presented to Mr W. BAILEY, late Station master at Allerton, where he was engaged for 8yrs, upon his promotion to the management of Ditton Junction Station, as a mark of public esteem.

The very Rev Watkin H. WILLIAMS, Dean of St Asaph, was on Tuesday elected, Bishop of Bangor, by the Dean and chapter of that diocese.

Rev T. Eynon DAVIES gives an interesting account on his visit to Trefecca, in which he states that:-

“Attached to the old college farmhouse, where the famous Countess of HUNTINGDON once resided, is the chapel in which the Countess’s famous friends, the two WESLEYS and George WHITFIELD, used to preach. It is used as a chapel no longer but divided up for the usual rooms and loft necessary to a large farmhouse. I was, pained to see, in a sort of harness-room, the pulpit and reading desk – exceedingly quaint things. They are of no earthly use where they are. John WESLEY’S pulpit, I thought made a very poor saddle-stand. Would these relics not be worth preserving in some Welsh museum? They should have a semi-sacred value to Wesleyan and Calvinistic Methodism.”

Gwynfyndd or Mount Morgan, Goldmine, Ganllwyd, formerly owned by Mr W. Pritchard MORGAN. M.P, is now almost entirely abandoned. Pumps raised to the surface and parts of the mine are flooded.

Mr Edgar W. JONES. M.A, has just been appointed head master of the Barry County School, he is the eldest son of Mr Bellis JONES of Llanrhaiadr-yn, Mochant.

Mr Charles ASHTON of Dinas Mawddwy, has completed a list of the biographies of Mr Henry M. STANLEY, numbering 17, 6 published in London, 5 in Brussels, 3 in America, and one each in, Paris, Berlin and Denbigh.

Their testimony on Stanley’s birthplace is interesting and overwhelmingly in favour of his Welsh decent. 14 state he was born at Denbigh in 1840 or 1841, one American publication states he was born in Missouri, where he spent his boyhood and youth. In the biography by Thomas GEORGE, who was an old playmate, he is said to be born at Ysar, Bettws, Newcastle, Emley, Camarthenshire and his original name was Howell JONES.


Liverpool Mercury, Snippets 21st Jan 1899

Isaac PIMBLETT, aged 17 of South Chester St, Toxteth, whilst attempting to jump on some railway wagons passing along the docks , slipped and fell, the wheels of the waggon passed over him. The ambulance of the Southern Hospital conveyed him to that institution, where, it was found necessary to amputate both his legs.

The other day there died in Walton Workhouse a woman named Sarah GOLDING who had been an inmate for 31 yrs, her maintenance had cost the ratepayers £402. This is an object lesson as far as old age pensions are concerned.

A plain clothes policeman named John PORTER of C. Division was on Saturday evening knocked down in Park Rd by a passing electric tramcar and sustained a fractured ankle and a head injury. He was detained in the Southern Hospital.

A joiner, Andrew CARSON, aged 36, whilst working on new buildings in Hood St, fell 30ft from the upper floor, he was removed to the Northern Hospital, where, it was found he had a fractured skull.

On Monday at Wrexham, Owen JONES, a railway porter, was charged with attempting to commit suicide, a policeman was called to his home and found JONES being held down by three men. He had cut his throat 2/3 inches long. Dr Enoch MOSS when he examined the prisoner found him to be very excitable, he had been depressed, for about three months following a terrible fright he had received. He was mentally deranged and still depressed, needing peace and quiet. Witness did not think the prisoner would benefit from being in prison, the workhouse would be the best place - committed to the Workhouse.

At St Helens on Monday Peter FORSHAW of Frederick St was charged with attempting to commit suicide on New Years Day by cutting his throat. Chief Con WOOD explained that the prisoner was living apart from his wife, he was found in a pool of blood on his bedroom floor with his throat cut and a razor by his side. He was taken to the Providence Hospital where he is now confined. Prisoner had no recollection of the matter and was in drink at the time, he is sorry for what he has done and promises not to repeat it and will give up drink. His friends have promised to take care of him - discharged.


Liverpool Mercury, Oct 17th 1899




Frequently accidents happen in Liverpool through the running of the electric trams and pedestrians are injured, the most serious mishap that has yet occurred took place last evening in Upper Parliament St. This thoroughfare is one of the widest in the city, and it is surprising that two public vehicles could approach each other so close as to bring about a serious collision. It appears from the conflicting reports that have been made concerning the affair, that at 9.15 one of the "cross" city omnibuses running from Prince's Park gates to Netherfield Rd, was proceeding down Upper Parliament St, and, when about to turn into Grove St, was struck with tremendous force by a Smithdown Rd, electric car that was being driven at somewhat high speed from the direction of the city. It is stated that the driver of the "bus" which vehicle must of course, have been on the tram line, endeavoured to avoid the impact, and almost succeeded in doing so, a matter of being a few more inches in advance placing his conveyance beyond danger. This he failed to do, with the result that the whole of one side of the "bus" was torn away, window frames, glass, a front wheel etc, being ripped clean off.

There were a large number of passengers in the vehicle at the time, and as it heeled over these were thrown into a heap and cut and bruised severely. The driver was knocked from his seat and flung into the street, while the electric car was forced off the line and turned half round. The screams of the unfortunate ladies in the "bus" and the shouts of the men, added to the noise of falling glass and the tearing of woodwork, soon attracted a large number of the residents of the neighbourhood, who rushed out of their houses to render all assistance. The sight was a shocking one. Men and women lay together unable to help themselves and bleeding from hands and faces, while not a single pane of glass was left whole in the conveyance. Ready help soon extricated the passengers, and 9 of them were speedily assisted to the surgery of Dr BRADY, where Dr POND, rendered them every attention, quickly binding up wounds and administering restoratives. In this work he was assisted by Dr Gordon SMITH, of Upper Parliament St.

The following are the names and addresses of the injured :-

Mathew JACKSON, 85 Granby St, scalp wound.

Walter PHILLIPS, 99 Royston St, sprained thumb.

Miss ROPER one of the maids at Shaw St, Hospital, scalp wound, and very much shaken, showing grave symptoms.

Mrs Dorothy LEWIS, 1A Romilly St, Kensington, contused arm.

William AIREY, 51 Empress Rd, cut face, contusion on temple and concussion of the brain.

Henry FAIRBURN, 38 Kepler St, cut hand, contusions of the hip.

Mrs WOAN, 62 Houghton St, Aughton St ?, suffering from shock [this lady had a baby in her arms]

Patrick BRIEN, the driver of the bus, 4 Ethiopia St, Kirkdale, contusions of ribs and hip.

KEPLER, the guard, 30 Anderson St, Great Homer St, many contusions about the face and body and shock.

William AIREY was so badly injured that he had to be removed to the Royal Infirmary in the ambulance, and Miss ROPER was taken to Shaw St, Hospital.

Both of the bus horses were badly cut, and had to be taken to a veterinary surgeon's establishment, and at an early hour this morning the broken vehicle was removed from the street. As a result of the affair the cars were stopped throughout Upper Parliament St, Park Lane and Paradise St. AIREY after being attended to at the Infirmary decided to go home.


Copyright 2002 / To date