Lloyds March 19th 1843

Earthquake at Liverpool

Friday, at an early hour this morning the town was full of rumours that, in various districts the severe shock of an earthquake had been felt, which , as the hour of business approached, and the merchants and others assembled on ‘Change was found to be true. We are happy however to state that up until this hour we have not heard of any damage sustained.

Numerous accounts have been given during the day of this visitation, among which, is that of Mr WHITTY, our chief police officer, whose business duties calls him into active occupation during the night. Mr WHITTY states, that at five minutes to one, by the police time, he suddenly heard and felt a violent agitation of the windows of the whole house and of the floor in the room in which he was sitting.   Being accustomed to hearing loud explosions from the works in the Albert Dock, now being excavated, which is at no great distance, he was not much surprised at the noise, but at the same time he observed to Mrs WHITTY that he thought the excavators had purposely caused the explosion to take place underneath the windows. In less than a minute afterwards another shock followed, infinitely more violent than the first, the house shook from top to bottom and a violent rumbling noise was heard under the house, just as if a dozen railway trains had been running through a tunnel underneath. The shock and noise were so loud and violent as to awaken the family, and, as if by consent, they assembled on the stairs in a state of great alarm.

Having quieted them Mr WHITTY went into the street and the policeman on duty at Georges Dock bridge told him he was leaning on one of the pillars there, when suddenly he thought he heard a carriage run rapidly across the bridge, and the ground rumbling and shaking all around him. This officer perceived two shocks.

The policeman on duty at the north end of Canning Dock was next questioned by Mr WHITTY, and he stated he first observed some casks, which were lying upon the quay, move as if they were alive, they trembled and shook, he added, as if some men were concealed in them, a very professional idea for a police officer.

After this the house was examined, and it was found that the windows of the second floor [French] had been forced open by the shock, and some furniture had received a trifling displacement, but no damage was done and the alarm soon subsided. Mr WHITTY, added, that the shock appeared to him to proceed from east to west, and that nothing could be more distinctly perceptible. The first shock lasted from three to five seconds, and the second from seven to ten seconds, and at first it appeared as if the tower of a church, at some distance, had fallen down at one crash. Not the least remarkable circumstance was the agitation of the horses in the stables throughout the town, particularly in the south division.

By the accounts received from Warrington, Manchester, Bolton, Wigan, Preston, etc, the shocks were also felt in these places, and that at Preston most severely, the guards, also, with the night mail trains state to have been alarmed during the progress to Liverpool.

The shock was felt with considerable severity on the Cheshire shore, opposite to the north part of the town, and extended more particularly over the surface in the Wyrall Peninsular, on its east side, contained between Wallasey Pool and New Brighton. This includes Seacombe, Egremont, Liscard, the Magazines, and Wallasey etc. In Liscard and Egremont it was distinctly felt by many persons, nearly or precisely at the same time, namely ten minutes of quarter before one am.



JAN 13th 1849

The amiable and accomplished Miss KELLY eldest daughter of James KELLY. M.D, St James St after a public profession of vows took the veil of the order of Carmelite Nuns recently at the convent Sens France. The lady is granddaughter of Surgeon Douglas of FETHARD, Tipperary and cousin of Henry Grattan DOUGLAS. M.D. Late physician of the King of France. She converted from C of E to the Catholic faith and was received by the Venerable Archdeacon LAFFAN of the diocese of Cashel Ireland


27th Jan 1849


On tues last Mr Andrew KINLOCH, aged 89 died at the house of his son in Preston. In 1793 he set up the first power loom in Glasgow, with which the propelling power was his own hand, he managed after an outlay of 100 guineas to produce 90 yards of cloth. This sum, we may explain was jointly subscribed for the experiment by four members of Glasgow Chamber of Commerce. Shortly afterwards Andrew got the loom conveyed to Milton Print-field at Dumbuck where 40 looms on the same principle were erected under his special direction.. These machines can still be seen at POLLOCKSHAWS and PAISLEY. He left for England in 1800 setting up similar looms in different towns in Lancashire, the first at Stalybridge nr Manchester. Fifteen of these in a short time where moved to Westhoughton were they remained till 1812 when the hand loom weavers jealous of their interests being affected burned the factory to the ground along with 170 looms.


27th Jan 1849

We had on Friday the pleasure of inspecting a neat little apparatus for the purpose of sewing, used for some time in France [where it is patented] the invention of M. B. THIMMONNIER a native of a small town nr Lyons A patent has been obtained by M. MAGIN and machines have been constructed by Messers WREN and BENNETT. The machine takes no more room than a small work-table. The linen or work is passed across an aperture under which is an apparatus for fixing a bobbin of thread, above is a peculiar constructed needle-holder supplied with a needle like that used for crotchet work. Upon the pressure of a foot board the needle passes through the cloth down the aperture in the table and hooks up the thread, each succeeding stitch is brought up within the former thus forming a back stitch. The worked produced is of the most elegant description.

Liverpool Journal 3rd Feb 1849

An iron warehouse has been built by Messers Thomas VERNON and Co at their ship building works at Sefton St, its dimensions, 120 ft long, 35 ft wide and 15 ft high. The framing is angle and bar iron and the covering of galvanised sheets. It is built in sections and is immediately to be taken down and shipped to California,. Messers STARKEY and Co are the proprietors and the warehouse has been built under the superintendence of Mr GRANTHAM. It is to be erected at the quay at San Francisco where there is a great want of warehouses and dwelling houses, building materials being scarce and expensive. It is expected such buildings will produce a huge rental and was built in three weeks.



Liverpool Mercury Nov 19th 1850

Misc snippets

On Sunday week Mr W, EDMUNDSON, sacristan of Holy Cross, Catholic Church, accidentally fell down the church steps, and received some severe injuries, we are happy to say he is recovering

On Friday last James DONALD a labourer, fell into an excavation, during the progress of some alterations at Messers COOKES, Brewery, Birkenhead. His left thigh was fractured and he lies at the dispensary in a very dangerous state.

A number of Roman Catholic ladies have formed a Sisterhood of Mercy at Claughton, nr Birkenhead and have purchased Lingdale House, lately the property of Mr F. M. BROWNRIGG for their residence.

Mr W. DUCKWORTH of this town has obtained a patent for an improved mode of making chicory, and the machinery connected therein.

Harrington Discussion Class, on Thursday evening members of this society held their fortnightly meeting at the Harrington Rooms, St James Place, Mr John WILLIAMS occupied the chair. The subject for discussion was, “Ought the Government to provide a secular and moral education for the people?” Mr BENNETT opened the alternative side of the question and Mr J. B. ROBERTS the negative. The meeting was afterwards addressed by Mr LEWIS and Mr SMITH.

On Sunday morning last Mr William BELLION shot on Crosby sands and eagle which measured 7ft 5inch across the wings and 3ft from the tip of the beak to end of the tail. On Wednesday last he shot seven stormy petrels, or Mother Cary’s chickens on the shore at Crosby, these birds are seldom to be met with in these parts and dentoes that the weather must be stormy at sea.

Mr W. H. HAY architect, was entertained at a public dinner in Edinburgh on Monday week, on leaving that city to join professionally his brother, Mr T. HAY in Liverpool.

On Sunday at 3am a fire broke out at Rose Hill on premises occupied by Mr Samuel HULSE, furniture broker, little damage was done.

Sgt Robert BISSETT of the Liverpool District Recruiting Staff, who was recently tried by court martial as St Georges barracks for fraudulently obtaining money upon billets, has been sentenced to be deprived of his appointment as Staff Sergeant, and to revert to his former position.

Last week the Earl of Sefton invited the pupils of Mr DOLSON’S school at Maghull to the coursing match at Altcar, they were later treated to a splendid banquet at which the Earl and Countess resided.

On Friday morning Alexander BROWN was robbed of two £5 notes and three sovereigns on board one of the Woodside steamers. A dissolute female was taken into custody on the charge but as the person robbed refused to appear she was discharged.

On Thursday week Mr HOLT, plumber and glazier of Hanover St was proceeding home along Slater St when he was knocked down by someone from behind and rendered insensible for a short time, on recovering he found 4 sovereigns, some silver and keys had been taken from his pockets. Mr HOLT much hurt about the head was assisted home. His keys were later found in Wolstenholme Square.

On Friday morning a fire which resulted in the destruction of property to a large extent broke out in the property of Mr Philip FORSHAW, Leeds St, Mr BIBBY Supt and a large body of the fire brigade were soon on the scene. At the back of the premises is a large oil warehouse, the object of the fire brigade was to extinguish the fire on Mr FORSHAW’S premises and prevent the flames from igniting the building containing the oil, with this view two branches were left perpetually playing on it, this was accomplished the only damage being broken windows, within 3 hrs the flames were subdued. The brewery was but slightly damaged and the dwelling house escaped uninjured, but the other part of the building was entirely burnt down. A large quantity of malts and hops were destroyed, the damage to the building is estimated at £1000 and the stock of Mr FORSHAW’S of £2000, the insurance is covered by the Sun Office.



Liverpool Mercury, Feb 11th 1851

On Tuesday Kate WHITE living in Charity St was engaged in cleaning the mantel piece, her clothes caught fire and she was enveloped in flames, she was badly burnt on the face and arms and taken to hospital.

On Thursday Otto SMITH, Carpenter on the Queen of the West lying in the Waterloo Dock, was securing a main hatch on the lower deck when a passenger’s large chest fell on his leg from the main deck, causing a severe fracture he was conveyed to the Northern Hospital and is now doing well.

On Thursday, Bridget MITCHELL a girl employed in selling firewood, was crossing Great Howard St when she was knocked down by an omnibus, the wheels passing over her arm and knee producing severe contusions, she was taken to hospital and found to have no fractures.



Lately in Schuylkill Pennsylvania the death age 40 of Michael DRESS father of 21 children to wife Kate DRESS age 39. 1st child born 1829, last Feb 1848. Had twins 5 times and in Feb 1848 4 children at one birth all survived. (Did he die from exhaustion?)

Liverpool Mercury, Sept 16th, 1851

Yesterday evening a girl, named Ann MORLEY was knocked down by a cart in Byrom St and run over, one of her legs was fractured. The driver of the cart was severely injured endeavouring to stop the horse. It is said he was not to blame.

On Sunday last David LAVISON, a labourer was struck on the head with a candlestick during an affray and received a severe wound. On the same day John BRISBANE was also injured on the head, in consequence of being struck by a man with whom he quarrelled in the street. Both men were conveyed to the Infirmary and are progressing favourably.

Singular attempt at suicide

At 9.30. pm on Thursday last, when the Queen Wood steamer, had reached the slip from Liverpool, a passenger discovered a man hanging from the poop, suspended by a handkerchief. The prevalence of a dense fog at the time, prevented the would be suicide from being previously observed. He was quickly cut down in a state of insensibility, and given into the charge of the police. A surgeon was sent for and restored the man to sensibility. On Friday he was brought up before the magistrates, when he gave the name of GARDNER, and said he belonged to Wavertree. A quarrel with is wife, he said, had led him to attempt the destruction of his life. He was cautioned, and ordered to be in the charge of friends.


On Friday Alexander STEWARD, aged 31, residing in Frederick St, had his hand crushed by a baulk of timber at the Brunswick Dock. He was conveyed to the Southern Hospital where it was found necessary to amputate one of his fingers.

On Saturday, Nathaniel DICKINSON, aged 11, fell from a cart, playing in Raffles St, one of the wheels went over his arm and he sustained a compound comminuted fracture of the elbow joint and lacerations. He was conveyed to the Southern Hospital Edward DAVIS a carter, aged 46, of Whitfield St, received internal injuries to the chest from the upsetting of his cart while proceeding towards Garston. He was conveyed to the Southern Hospital in a very dangerous state.

Yesterday, whilst James MERRICROFT, a labourer, aged 42, was carrying a plank up a stage in the yard of Messers RIGBY and MERCER, Brunswick Dock, the stage broke and he was precipitated to the ground, the plank falling upon him, fracturing several ribs. He was conveyed to the Southern Hospital.

Thomas McKAVETT, a labourer, aged 36, of New Bird St, was admitted to the Southern Hospital suffering from a scalp wound and lacerations to the right eye, caused by a blow from a winch-handle in one of the southern docks.



Liverpool Mercury, April 2nd, 1852

Miraculous preservation

On Saturday last a little girl, the youngest child of Mr J. Wilson BROWNE of this town had a wonderful escape from injury,. Mr and Mrs BROWNE had arrived at the Hand Hotel, Llangollen, in the morning, and in the afternoon went out to engage lodgings. It appeared that during their absence the two children were [in the care of the nurse] amusing themselves near a French window on the second floor of the house. Unobserved by the nurse, the elder one unfastened the bolt that secured the window and soon afterwards the little girl, in her play, fell against the casement which immediately flew open, and in a moment she was precipitated to the bottom., falling on the flags of the courtyard a distance of 20ft. When the child was picked up blood flowed from one ear and from the nose, , but, upon the arrival of a medical man, it was found not a single bone was broken by the fall, the force of which had been borne by the left side of her face and forehead. For some time it was feared the brain had sustained injury, but as yet, no unfavourable symptoms have appeared, and there is every reason to hope that the child will be restored to perfect health.

Narrow escape

On Wednesday evening a young man, nephew of Mr George PHILIP, stationer, South Castle St, was standing beneath a ceiling light, on his uncle’s premises, when the glass was suddenly broken by the stamping of some boys above, a large portion fell on his head, laying bare the scalp, but fortunately not penetrating the brain. Prompt medical assistance was rendered and we understand the young man is doing well.

Liverpool Mercury, Oct 19th 1852

On Saturday last Mr William DUCKWORTH gave a dinner to upwards of 300 workmen and friends at the Duke of Brunswick, Brunswick Rd to celebrate the completion of a number of houses which he has been building there. The room was decorated with flags by Mr R. MARTIN and over the chimney piece was a full size portrait of the Duke of Brunswick, executed by Mr G. O. DAWSON. After the dinner Mr HOLFORD chairman, proposed a toast to the Queen and Prince Albert, a toast to the late Duke of Wellington was proposed by Mr Joseph DUCKWORTH, Vice chairman. A toast by the chairman was then made to Mr William DUCKWORTH, the vice chairman then toasted Mr William WALTHEW the late councillor for Everton ward. The dinner was served up in excellent style under the superintendence of Mr W. COOKE, and the festivities continued till a late hour.

Licensed Victuallers Association

The Mayor Thomas LITTLEDALE Esq has consented to become the trustee of this society in the place of James BRANCKER, deceased and Mr Henry DANSON has agreed to fill the place in the trusteeship vacant by the resignation of Mr James LAWRENCE. The foundation stone of the new institute will be laid on Thursday week on the site at West Derby Rd, where an acre of ground has been purchased from Mr PLUMPTON. In the evening a dinner will take place at the Adelphi.

Liverpool Mercury Nov 30th 1852


A seaman named Abraham WRIGHT was received at the Northern Hospital yesterday suffering from spinal injuries, caused by a fall from the yardarm of the ship Isaac, when the vessel was about three days from New York on her voyage to Liverpool. He is doing well. Yesterday Thomas OSCAR fell into the hold of the ship Favourite lying in the Brunswick Dock, he was taken to the Southern Hospital.


Commission of Lunacy

Liverpool Mercury Dec 21st, 1852

Commission of Lunacy

On Friday last a commission, de lunatico inquireado, took place before Francis BARLOW, Esq, one of the masters in lunacy at the Bulmer's Hotel, West Derby Village, for the purpose of ascertaining whether Jane GREGORY, and alleged lunatic now residing in the Tuebrook Asylum, is in such state of mind as renders her competent to take care of herself and her property. The subject of the inquiry is a comfortable looking woman, aged 58, she sat at the head of the table near to the commissioner, and remained exceedingly quiet throughout the whole proceedings, never speaking but in reply to questions, and in the answers given by her evidenced that she is in an utter state of mental imbecility. Mr BLAIR who appeared on behalf of the promoters of the inquiry, sated the facts to the jury - Miss GREGORY is the daughter of the late Richard GREGORY, formerly a pawnbroker in this town, who, when he died, left to her the interest in £800, and the rent of a house in Gerard St. For many years up to the present year, she resided with her mother, Ann GREGORY, and from an early age she was a person of weak intellect - not certainly in a state of mental aberration. Latterly her mind was in such a state of prostration as to render it necessary to place her in a lunatic asylum. She was subject to various delusions, one of which that she was covered in lice, which was altogether groundless, and she would strip herself 20 times a day. She would frequently dress herself in the servant's clothes, placing them above her own. She was in the habit of pocketing spoons and other articles of plate, which she would hide by secreting them, and would throw the keys of the house in the midden. - Dr O'DONNELL, Mr Edward PARKER, surgeon, Kirkdale Rd, and Mr Nicholas Smith GLAZEBROOK, surgeon of the Tuebrook Asylum, all deposed to the mental state of the lady. - After this evidence and that of Mrs Sarah BROWN, the jury found that Miss GREGORY had been incapable of conducting her affairs, etc, since January last.



Liverpool Mercury, March 1st, 1853

Received at the Northern Hospital

Attempted suicide

Yesterday morning a young woman named Sarah MC DONALD was taken to the Southern Hospital by two policemen who had ascertained she had been taking laudanum, in the attempt to destroy herself. The stomach pump was applied and she is in a fair way to recovery. She was discharged from a situation a few days ago at Wavertree, since which time she has been staying at a lodging house in Roscoe Lane. It was noticed she had been in low spirits previous to the time she took the poison.

On Saturday last a youth named Richard Edward SIMMONDS, belonging to the ship Prince Albert Edward, was struck by a sea whilst the vessel was off the bar, and knocked against the water cask, suffering a fractured thigh. He was taken to the Southern Hospital.

On Saturday Margaret COSGROVE, an intending emigrant was walking along Regent Rd, enveloped in a long cloak, when the wind got under it, and twisting her completely round, threw her with great violence on the pavement, causing concussion of the brain, she was unable to proceed to the ship.

On the same day Ellen WILLIAMS, No 1 court, Kew St was walking along Kirkdale Rd when the wind blew down the gate of a stable yard she was passing it hit her and fractured her arm.

A woman named Eliza BROWN was standing at the door of her house in Leeds St, when a slate, blew down, from an adjoining roof and hit her on the head, causing a compound fracture of the skull. All these cases are received at the Northern Hospital.


Copyright 2002 / To date