January 20th, 1849

Sat last James KELLY was executed at Kirkdale for the murder of his sweetheart Eliza FAULKNER of Stockport

The Coroner at Wigan has been occupied several days in an investigation into the death of Rebecca KAYE, who died from strangulation on New Years day. It was believed she had committed suicide by hanging, but new evidence was produced at the second adjourned inquiry. Several persons who were in the vicinity at the time of her death spoke of hearing cries for, "help" and, "God save me" proceeding from the kitchen where she was found. In consequence, her husband Bernard KAYE was taken into custody. A man who was in the same cell, James MOUSDALE, on being sworn said KAYE had told him he threw his wife down the stairs then hanged her. A verdict of wilful murder was returned on Bernard KAYE. KAYE had married the deceased 8 mths ago and she had maintained herself in a respectable manner. KAYE was always considered a dissipated man. On the day of their wedding he left her during the ceremony and after 3 hrs returned intoxicated, but the ceremony was proceeded with.



22nd May 1851

South Lancashire assizes Patrick LYONS and his wife committed for the murder of Margaret FAHEY at Warrington Mary KENNEDY Committed for child murder.


Manchester Guardian January 18th 1858

Man charged with murder of fiancée

From hospital to court

An hour and half after being discharged from the hospital at St Helens yesterday, Albert HOUGHTON, aged 20 an airman on leave from Cyprus was charged with the murder of his fiancée, Dorothy Valerie LILLEY, aged 20, a schoolteacher of Doulton Street, St Helens

Chief Superintendent J. BALL, prosecuting, said that on December 28th Miss LILLEY was found dead in the living-room of her home, she had been strangled. HOUGHTON was admitted to hospital later that morning suffering from an illness. He had made a statement to the police.

Manchester Guardian December 4th 1858

Life Sentence for woman

Murder of aunt

Yvonne JENNION, aged 23, of Oxford Street, St Helens was sentenced to life imprisonment at Manchester Crown Court yesterday after being found guilty of the murder of her aunt, Mrs Ivy Jane VYE, aged 54, of Bryn Street, St Helens.

JENNION was alleged to attack her aunt at home, to have hit her on the head with an ashtray and to have strangled her. The defence had asked for a manslaughter verdict on the ground of impaired responsibility due to mental abnormality.



Mon Apr 4th 1859

Jane ANDERSON 26 charged with murder of an infant. The prisoner an inmate of the workhouse gave birth to a healthy child on 11th Feb who prospered well. On the 18th a scream was heard from the child and Anderson could give no explanation for it. The childs care was then taken by a nurse at the workhouse as the child showed bruisings, and died on the 26th. Found guilty awaiting crown trial.


Held by Mr P. F. CURRY Coroner

Body of a new born male child found in a box near St Anthony's Chapel, Gt Homer St, Found by Agnes HOWARTH wife of Robert HOWARTH, Seaman, 72 Tarleton St. Who saw a woman leave something in the graveyard and run away.- child had lived, murdered by persons unknown

Sarah EVANS aged 31 wife of William EVANS, Whitesmith, 5 Court Blenheim St. Husband was aquainted with a woman names Alice McALLISTER who lived opposite and was a drunkard. He and his wife and other women where sat round the fire talking and drinking tea when McALLISTER entered in a drunken state and using bad language, he threw her out, she returned and began throwing ornaments from the fire place at them. One china dog hit his wife on the head and she fell, McALLISTER jumped on his wife on the floor and set about thumping her. Alice LINDON present at the time gave corroborative evidence a charge of manslaughter be made against the woman Mc ALLISTER.


Evening Express

5 November 1875


The Liverpool Borough Coroner held an inquest last week on the body of an elderly woman named Elizabeth Phillips, who died on the 25th Oct., from injuries inflicted by her husband, a labourer named Edward Phillips. It appeared that on the 15th Oct. both went to bed in a drunken state, and the prisoner stabbed his wife in sixteen places without any provocation. A policeman was called in by the prisoner's son, when the woman was found covered with blood. The prisoner, on being brought up at the police-court, said the occurrence must have been an accident. A verdict of wilful murder was now returned against him



13th, Jan 1877


On Thursday at the Police Courts, Liverpool, James YOUNG, a labourer was brought up on remand, having wilfully murdered William GRIMES, a seaman in Vauxhall Rd, on 30th Dec last, by stabbing him, committed for trial on the capital charge at the next assizes.

Central Criminal court, Thursday, Michael MC CANNON, a private in the Grenadier Guards was found guilty of the murder of Noah JOHNSON, a comrade, and sentenced to death.


Liverpool Journal

8th Jan 1881

City Police court Monday

John KELLY, iron moulder, aged 69, brought up on remand for the wilful murder of his wife Elizabeth, aged 68, in Beatrice St on Tues morning last, committed for trial.

Liverpool Journal, 8th January 1881

An inquest was held at Rhyl on Monday evening before, Mr DAVIES Coroner of Flintshire, on the body of a female child, found under suspicious circumstances. Insp MCLAREN stated that from information he received, he went to the house kept by Mrs THOMAS of Vaughan Terrace, Rhyl. A young woman named Ann HUGHES was in bed with Mrs THOMAS, he asked HUGHES, how many boxes she had when she left her last situation at the Mona Hotel on the previous Wednesday.

She replied three and they were downstairs. He brought one to the bedroom and opened it with a key provided by HUGHES, in it he found the body of a female child, wrapped in paper and calico.

He charged her with murder and she answered, "I will tell you everything, I had the child on Wednesday morning, no one was with me, the child was born alive, but it died in a few minutes. I put it in the box and was going to take it home to Holyhead to bury it" -

Mrs Louisa JONES, Landlady of the Mona Hotel, said HUGHES had been in her service during the summer, on Wednesday she complained of rheumatism in the head and left the same evening. - The jury found the child had died from suffocation, there was no evidence to show how it was produced.


Evening Express

23 November 1883



The trial of Lewis Parry for the murder of Susannah Hutton was concluded at the Liverpool Assizes on Wednesday night. The jury returned a verdict of guilty against the accused, who was sentenced to death

1 December 1883



On Wednesday morning Mary Ann Parry, wife of the condemned man Lewis Parry, attended at. the office of Mr Neale, solicitor to the culprit, and made the following declaration

I have been married nine years, and have three children, the eldest eight years of age and the youngest six weeks. I know the deceased Susannah Hutton very well. We formerly resided next door to each other in Back Portland-street. She sometimes assisted me in cleaning, and often visited me. I never saw or heard of any familiarity between my husband and her. He was very kind to her and her family, as we were neighbours for about two years and a half. I never heard him speak of her on any occasion in her absence. It is not true what witness Trayuor said at this trial, that I said in her presence my husband cared more for Susannah Hutton than he cared for me. I never said anything of the sort; and there never was any jealousy respecting de- ceased between my husband and myself. He never gave me any cause for jealousy.

He never was, out of his house, as a rule, after half-past ten o'clock, except when be had been at night-work or had gone to his mother's house. He has stopped at his mother's house on several previous occasions when in drink. The witness Trayuor was never in our house until after my husband was arrested, and he then called with the mother of the deceased girl and used very abusive language to me, calling my husband "murderer," and saving if they could do so they would hang him themselves. The deceased. Susannah Hutton, called Trayuor her bloke, and appeared much afraid of him, as she told me on several occasions he had beaten her. On the 13th October my husband came from the works about two o'clock, and remained at home till about five o'clock. Shortly before nine o'clock he returned again, and brought home some toys for the children. He was then dressed in his working clothes, the clothes in which he was afterwards arrested, and which he wore on his trial. He was under the influence of drink, and I told him of it. He sent out for some drink, and then put on a felt hat and went out. He said he was going to his father's. Before going out he asked me for some money, and I gave him 2d. He was badly in drink, and I would not give him more. I did not see him again until the following evening, when he returned home. He then wore exactly the same clothes in which he went out, together with the felt hat. His working cap was hanging on a nail in our house. During the whole time of his absence I thought nothing of his stopping away from home, as when in drink he becomes very stupid and sleepy, and has often stopped at the house of his parents. Therefore I was not at all anxious concerning him. He very seldom took drink. He left home on the night in question about a quarter-past five o'clock. He went to work as usual on Monday morning, and worked all that night until Tuesday evening. He returned to work on Wednesday, and worked up to the time of his arrest. He wore the same clothing at his work as he did on the night of the 13th October. He had no other" except the suit I pawned on the 7th August, which are still in pledge, and there was nothing unusual in his demeanour. He said when he heard of the body being identified as that of the deceased that it was a very strange place for a girl like her to go to, and appeared very sorry for her. When the police arrested him he said, "Never mind crying they cannot keep me; I shall be back just now." He has always been a kind husband and affectionate father. This statement , together with others, will be submitted to the Home Secretary by Mr Neale.


Evening Express

7 December 1883


An inquest has been held at Liverpool or. the body of Elizabeth Marsden, which was found in the canal. The body was terribly mutilated. There was a gash on the chest, the throat was cut, bones of the head and face were smashed, all the ribs on one side and three on the other side were broken, and there were other shocking injuries. There were no symptoms of drowning, and the inquest was adjourned for the police to make inquiries.



Jan 1st 1889,

Alexander INGHAM 68 charged with the murder of Elizabeth BARTLEY Stepdaughter 15 Tillard St. Deceased had visited her mother with her sister Mrs DODD. Drink was taken and an argument broke out, INGHAM came at his stepdaughter with a bayonet and stabbed her twice in the chest. Accused said he was driven to it, remanded on a charge of murder.


17 May 1890


On Saturday afternoon an inquest was opened before Mr Brighouse, County Coroner, at the Bourne Arms Hotel, Smithdown-road, Toxteth-park, Liverpool, concerning the death of William Robert Charlton, aged four years, and his sisters, Dorothy Bennett, aged two years, and Barbara Bennett, aged 10 months, the children of Charles Arthur Charlton, whose wife Leah stands accused of murdering them on the evening of Thursday last by cutting their throats, at 16, Garmoyle street. The father of the children was called, and stated that he was a clerk in her Majesty's Customs. He last saw his children alive about half-past eight o'clock on Thursday morning. He had seen the dead bodies just now at the house, and he recognised the faces as those of his children. After this formal evidence the inquest was adjourned until June 9, the Coroner stating that the mother, who had cut her own throat and was now in the hospital of the Smithdown-road Workhouse, was in a precarious state, and there were doubts as to her recovery. If she died in the meantime the inquiry would be resumed earlier.


27 November 1891


Lavinia Mason, about 30, chief stewardess on board the Allan liner Mongolian, was charged, at the Liverpool Police Court on Saturday, with having, on the 14th inst., attempted to murder George Stewart, purser on board the same vessel. The accused seemed to be deeply affected by her position, and continued sobbing all the while she was in the dock, hiding her face with her hands. It seemed that when the steamer was off Moville on the homeward voyage, the stewardess came on deck from below, and singling out the purser from among a crowd of persons, rushed in his direction and discharged a revolver at him. The bullet missed its aim, but the young woman fired a second shot, which took effect in the purser's left shoulder. Stewart then sprang at his assailant, and wrenched the pistol from her grasp, though not until she had succeeded in tiring a third shot. The stewardess then went quickly below and locked herself in her cabin, where she remained until her vessel arrived at Liverpool. Stewart was taken to the Royal Infirmary, where he now remains as a private patient. Chief Detective Inspector Irvine stated that on Friday night, accompanied by Detective Superintendent Caminada, of the Manchester Police, he arrested the accused in Manchester, and charged her with having attempted to murder George Stewart while on board the steamer Mongolian. She replied, Do I look like a murderess ? I would not injure the man for the world be has frequently promised me marriage, and has threatened to leave me. I got into a state of frenzy, and I am sorry for what I have done." In reply to the magistrate, an officer stated that the injured man was making satisfactory progress. The case was run for a week, and the accused, who was allowed out on bail, was taken away by her friends, still sobbing violently as she left the Court.


4 August 1892


Supposed Terrible Crime.

Wednesday, says : The Liverpool police are to-day investigating a revolting case of murder. Late last night the body of a child was discovered in a closet in the rear of a house occupied by a man named Eaton, in Hopwood street, Scotland-road, When taken out the body was conveyed to the nearest surgery, and life pronounced extinct, death being due to suffocation through the child's head being forced down the pan of the closet. The body was that of an extremely pretty girl with fair, curly hair, and nearly four years old. The body was deposited in the mortuary, where it was today identified as that of Ann Concannon, aged three years and eight months, the daughter of a labourer who had evidently occupied a better position in life. The child had been missing since yesterday afternoon, and when found her boots (which were nearly new) were missing, and also a pair of gold ear-rings which the child was wearing when last seen. The discovery caused intense excitement in he locality, and a rumour got abroad that the child had been outraged, but a medical examination showed this to be incorrect. It is suspected that the child got into the clutches of some child strippers, who had been disturbed while in the act of robbing her and thrust her into the closet to stifle her cries.


7 April 1894


Woman Hung for Murdering Her Husband.

Margaret Walber, aged 53, was executed at Walton Gaol, Liverpool, on Monday, for the murder of her husband, John Walber, aged 55, under circumstances so cruel and atrocious as to call forth the remark from the judge that it was surprising that what she did was possible in the heart of Liverpool. Walber was her second husband; she was jealous of him finding him on one occasion with a woman, she confined him in a garret, in which she chained and padlocked him, and where she used to abuse him. He was found dead on November 16, the room being like, a, shambles. He had evidently been beaten over the head with a chain or earthenware utensil and a lamp, both of which were smashed, the place being smeared all over with blood. The woman admitted striking him over the head with a chair. No effort had been made to obtain a commutation of the sentence, and the wretched woman only bad one visitor, her son, to whom she admitted the justice of the sentence. The last sacraments of the Church were administered to her on Sunday. Reporters were not admitted to the gaol. A crowd began to assemble at an early hour outside the gaol, where a thick fog prevailed, rendering it impossible, to see the black flag a few yards away. The bell began to toll a few minutes before eight, and at eight precisely the black flag was hoisted, and the crowd began to disperse. Soon after the hoisting of the black flag the reporters were informed that the governor of the gaol was too busy to see them, but that the execution had been performed and the woman was dead. The doctor said the executioner could not have done his work more expeditiously. No information was forthcoming as to the last hours of the condemned. Billington, the executioner, was accompanied by his assistant, Thompson. The inquest on the body was held by the city coroner in the afternoon. The governor and surgeon of the goal deposed that the sentence was carried out by Billington in a skilful and expeditious manner in the presence of, among other officials, the matron and two female warders. The drop given was 6ft. 2in, and death was instantaneous. The jury found that the woman died from fracture of the neck and strangulation, consequent upon being hanged."


25 February 1895

The Liverpool Horror.


Alleged he had Induced two women to elope with him and was penniless when arrested. The police believe that the arrest which they made on Saturday in collection with the Liverpool murder will prove of signal importance. From inquiries made it has been discovered that the prisoner's career has been a most extraordinary one. The prisoner at the time of his arrest was living with his wife and three children at 61 Edgware street. That tenement is a fairly well furnished one, and had evidently been conducted with respectability. Miller was formerly employed as a deck hand on one of the Woodside ferry boats, and it is supposed that going to and from the landing-stage he made the acquaintance of the murdered man, as he would pass Moyes's stall at the pierhead, and so casually became acquainted with him and his habits. The prisoner had been employed on the ferry until the end of last year, when it stated he formed the acquaintance of a young unmarried woman in Liverpool, who was possessed of a considerable sum of money, and with whom it is alleged he eloped to America, leaving his wife and family behind him in circumstances bordering on destitution. When they arrived in America they lived together in Philadelphia, and the allegation is that Miller robbed her of whatever portion of her money remained, and that he returned to Liverpool and again resided with his wife. It is said he then obtained employment upon Irish and other coasting steamers. It has been ascertained that he left home a few weeks ago and went to Dublin, from that place to Glasgow, and thence to Edinburgh. While in Scotland it is alleged he became intimately acquainted with a young woman in Glasgow, but parted from her rather suddenly at Dundee. From the last occasion on which he left home until Wednesday last (the day after the murder was committed: nothing was seen of him by his wife. He returned home in a penniless state, and it is stated he kept within doors from that time until his arrest by the police. Throughout the period from the time the officers entered the house, during his detention, and while he was being charged, the accused acted with the utmost coolness and self-possession. The prisoner and his wife's relatives are well known in the neighbourhood of Edgehill, and his arrest there has naturally caused a great sensation. It has been ascertained that at about seven o'clock on the morning of the discovery of the murder, which is believed to have linen committed about five o'clock. Miller was seen in a cocoa room. Robbery is supposed to haw been the motive for the crime, but there are evidences which the authorities are not at liberty to give which dispose them to think that the murder, whoever committed it, was deliberately planned. The deceased man Moyse was known to be of a very careful disposition, indeed, he was believed to be ,somewhat of a miser and had the reputation of concealing his money, articles of jewellery, which he dealt, and rare books, in out-of-the-way places in his house. One theory is that the murderer had a knowledge of the old man's peculiarities, that after the old man had left the stranger to sleep on the sofa, and retired to rest, the latter got- up when all was still to rummage the place for money, and that in doing this he awakened the old man. who partially raised himself in bed to see what he was doing, and that then the murderer being alarmed attacked him. This search for plunder is also borne out by a small but very remarkable piece of evidence. There was found by the detectives a chair standing near a cupboard. This chair had evidently been stood upon. In the upper shelf of the cupboard was a small earthenware jar. The murderer evidently thought that Moyse might have kept some money in this vessel. He seems to have grasped it with his hand to examine it for the jar was found to be marked with blood- stained fingers. The jar, however, did not contain any money, the deceased having used it for the purpose of keeping preserved fruit in. The question was also asked what the man was doing when discovered by the boy standing on the bags looking into the cockloft. Here again comes in the suggestion of robbery. In the loft the old man was reputed to have kept certain articles of value. This the murderer, it is supposed must have known, and when discovered by the boy was in the act of entering the loft to search it The police are confronted on the theory of robbery with the difficulty of the bag containing £8 being found under the pillow of the deceased This explained upon the supposition that, hearing the intruder in his room. the old man partly raised himself in bed and that the bag and the money under the pillow escaped the notice of the man who attacked him. These and other circumstances that have been ascertained strengthen the opinion of experienced officers that plunder was the primary motive which led to the terrible tragedy.


William Miller was placed before the stipendiary on Monday charged with the murder of the old man Edward Moyse, and attempted murder of the boy Needham, in Red Cross street, on Tuesday morning last. When placed in the dock prisoner presented a very filthy and unconcerned appearance. The court was packed, and there was so much commotion on the prisoner's appearance that the stipendiary threatened to have it cleared if the noise continued. Detective Strettle deposed to the arrest of prisoner, and to his identification at the hospital of the boy Needham. When witness taxed prisoner with having blood-stains on his clothes he said he got them while assisting some butchers at the abattoir on Saturday morning. Witness took prisoner to the abattoir, but he could not point out the men he said he assisted, and the butchers stated that no bullocks were killed on Saturday as stated by prisoner. (Proceeding.)


9 July 1898



An inquest has been held at Liverpool on the bodies of Ann and Alec Murphy, aged three and six years respectively, who, it is alleged, died from injuries inflicted by the father, Francis Rowland Murphy, on the 10th inst. Gertrude Heath, who had lived with Murphy as his wife, and who had her throat bandaged. said the man was temperate, but he had suffered from influenza, and was in low spirits. On the morning in question, continued witness, Murphy came downstairs, and, after saying they had better die together, he attempted to choke the baby. Witness struggled with him, and he attacked her with a razor, and cut her throat. He then ran upstairs. Witness picked up the infant, and rushed into a neighbour's house, where she found a cord tied tightly round the child's neck. The cord was cut, and the baby recovered. Other witnesses deposed to finding the two children with their throats cut, and the prisoner bleeding from the wound in the throat. A remarkable scene took place in court. The police have discovered that Murphy has twice committed bigamy. Catherine Heath, mother of the murdered children, was present, together with the first wife, and another woman with whom Murphy went through the ceremony of marriage. He married Heath seven years ago. All three women gave evidence. Murphy collapsed. He was removed below in a fainting condition A verdict of wilful murder was returned by the jury, and he was committed for trial


Liverpool Mercury, 14th Jan 1899

The sentence in Lieut WARK

Decision of the Home Secretary

On Monday news reached Liverpool that the Home Secretary had given his decision in the case of Lieut Robert John WARK, who was condemned to death at the last Liverpool assizes for the murder of Miss Jane YATES, a lady well known in certain local, social circles.

The Secretary of State after careful consideration of the circumstances of the case, has not felt justified in giving effect to the request that the convict should be granted a free pardon on the ground that the verdict was not justified by evidence.

Sir William White RIDLEY has directed that the commuted capital sentence shall be treated as one of 3yrs penal servitude.

Robert John WARK, a Lieut in the Royal Artillery, from which he has been expelled, thereby losing his pension, was tried at Liverpool assizes on the 8th and 9th of last month for the murder of Jane YATES, of Liverpool, who died through the performance of an illegal operation.

The Jury after nearly 2hrs brought a verdict of guilty with a strong recommendation to mercy, and Mr Justice PHILLMORE passed the death sentence, Since then a reprieve was granted by the Home Secretary.

On Thursday WARK was removed from Walton Jail to Stafford, where he will undergo his term of penal servitude.

28 February 1899



The Press Association Liverpool correspondent telegraphs: On Monday afternoon Mrs Canning, who lives in a house off Kensington, Liverpool, left her daughter, aged eight, and her son, James, who is somewhat older, in the house together. During the mother's absence the son was teen to leave the house with a bundle, and Mrs Canning, on her return hall an hour later, was horrified to find her daughter lying en the landing on the top of the stairs unconscious, and bleeding from a dreadful wound on the top of the head, the crown of the skull being battered in. The injured girl was at once removed to the infirmary, where she died at six o'clock on Tuesday morning. The police were not made acquainted with the circumstances until ten o'clock on Monday night, and an hour later Detective-inspector Bryson apprehended James Canning, and he will be brought before the magistrates to-day. Before the magistrates. James Canning was subsequently brought before the stipendiary and charged with the murder of his sister Ada. Evidence was given that when arrested the prisoner admitted striking his sister with a poker, adding that it was through drink, and that he did not mean to kill her. He thanked God he had not used a knife. The prisoner was formally remanded until after the inquest, which was fixed for Friday


Nottingham Post Sept 4th 1901

A Liverpool Mystery

The Liverpool Police are endeavouring to fathom a mystery that attaches to finding the skeleton of a man in a house in Pellow Street, that has been unoccupied for about five years. A man named Henry O’NEILL slept in an upper room in the house on Sunday night, and in the morning saw the foot of a man protruding from a bundle of rags on the floor. He immediately informed the police and investigation disclosed the skeleton of a man clad only in trousers, and with a coat and vest thrown over the upper part of his body. There is as yet no clue to the mystery.


September 30th 1904

An inquest was resumed at Liverpool , yesterday on the body of Isabella MCKENZIE, aged 30, a stewardess, living apart from her husband, who was found dead in a Liverpool temperance hotel, three weeks ago, with a man named Allan MUIR , in an unconscious condition in the same room. The latter has since recovered and is in custody on a charge of wilful murder.

From the evidence it appeared the couple put up as man and wife at the hotel. The man is stated to have taken the deceased to his home at Bootle, introducing her as the woman he loved, then deceased kissed his children. Mrs MUIR then interposed and struck her husband with a poker. Returning to the hotel MUIR and the deceased agreed to die together and having purchased some opium under the pretext of neuralgia, they drank equal quantities.

The jury returned a verdict of Wilful Murder against MUIR, who was committed for trial at the assizes.


16 March 1906


The Liverpool police are investigating what appears to be a tragedy of a terrible character. On Saturday afternoon a workman employed at Anfield Cemetery found the body of a lad named William Armitage aged twelve, in a lavatory. There was a handkerchief tied round his mouth and a deep wound in the neck, from which death had evidently resulted. The body was still warm when discovered. The boy left home early in the morning on some business for his father, who keeps a small shop, and made several calls. He was seen in the town about noon, after which there was no trace of him or his opposed assailant.


Liverpool Mercury, January 5th, 1907

Reprieves have been granted to Mary HUTCHLEY, Nottingham and James DAGNALL, Conisborough, their death sentences reduced to life imprisonment.

John DAVIS, a married man was executed at Warwick gaol on Thursday for having murdered Jane HARRISON at Aston, Birmingham. DAVIS obtained employment at Garston but returned to Birmingham to commit the crime.

Liverpool Mercury, Feb 9th, 1907

At the Liverpool Police courts before stipendiary magistrate Mr W. J. STWART, Michael Henry MC DONOUGH, aged 28, a labourer, was charged with the wilful murder of his 5mth old daughter Elizabeth. A quarrel arose between the prisoner and his wife, after angry words they commenced to throw crockery at each other. The woman was carrying the child and one of the missiles, a jockey bar, struck the baby on the head. The infant was taken to the East Dispensary, where Dr CRAMPTON pronounced life extinct.



Courier Jan 19th 1909

Liverpool Murder mystery

From the medical evidence of the body of Mary SMITH, who was found on Saturday morning lying dead under a sofa in her kitchen, the police are satisfied that she was brutally murdered. The chest had been crushed and nearly all the ribs were broken, in addition there were wounds on her face and neck. At present the affair is a complete mystery.

The woman is spoken of as being hard working and respectable, while her husband is foreman stable keeper to a large provision firm. Their residence adjoins the stables in Roscommon Street, a somewhat rough neighbourhood.

The husband and wife had tea together on Friday, after which the husband returned to his duties. In the evening the wife was missing, and it was thought she had gone to see some friends. As she did not return during the night the husband informed the police, and a constable went back with him to their home. In the kitchen they found the body as described.

A Strange feature in the awful tragedy is that while the husband was looking for his wife in the street, her dead and damaged body was under the sofa, but unknown to her husband. She was in a very unnatural position for a person who had fallen. The supposed murder presumable took place late on Friday.

It is recalled that a similar tragedy took place in Vale St not far from the neighbourhood, when an old lady was murdered in a similar way. The culprit was never found. It was supposed in this case that a man entered the premises at a quiet moment in the afternoon finding the door on the latch. He brutally assaulted the unoffending old woman, who was in deep poverty, but struggling on for a living somewhat, never able to change her clothes at night but reposing on some sacking and straw. A charge was preferred, but nothing was proved and the sensation gradually died down, the public mind getting engrossed later on in the Madge KIRBY affair.

Roscommon St and Vale St tragedies present features so strangely common that it is suggested that possibly the villain who perpetrated the first was responsible for the second. The woman in Vale St was dragged to her bed, thrown unceremoniously down, and after she lay huddled up in a lump, her mangled form was covered up with sacking, as if she had been asleep.

No cries were heard, but this was probably due to the fact that the vocal organs were stifled by a handkerchief or piece of rope, which was also used by the Vale St murderer.

23 January 1909


From the medical examination of the body of Mary Smith, who was found on Saturday morning lying dead under a sofa in her kitchen at Liverpool, the police are satisfied that the woman was brutally murdered. The chest has been much crushed, and nearly all the ribs are broken, while in addition there are wounds on the face and neck. At present the affair is a complete mystery. The woman is spoken of as being hard-working and respectable, while her husband is a foreman stable keeper to a large provision firm. Their residence adjoins the stables in Roscommon-street, a somewhat rough neighbourhood. The husband and wife had tea together on Friday, after which the husband returned to his duties. In the evening the wife was missing, and it was thought she had gone to see some friends. As she did not return during the night the husband informed the police, and a constable went back with him to the house. In the kitchen they found the body as described. No arrest has been made, though the police have one or two persons under observation.

25 June 1909




At an early hour on Saturday morning the Liverpool police detained a man on suspicion of being concerned in the recent stabbing outrages upon women in Liverpool. On Friday evening a woman informed the police that she had a quarrel with a stranger in a house in Kirby street, and that after a few words had passed he took a lance from his pocket and made an attack upon her. She evaded the blow, and the stranger dashed into the street. The woman, raising the alarm, the police immediately commenced a hunt, and alter some time made an arrest at Bootle. The man in custody is stated to be middle- aged and of the labouring class. A later Liverpool message states that the detained man is said to be a German, about thirty years of age. It now transpires that the young woman, who accompanied the detectives in the search for the accused, stated that on Thursday night she was accosted by a man who appeared to be a teenager. She accompanied him to an entry and then noticed that he possessed an ugly weapon, with a blade two or three inches thick. She screamed and managed to escape.


9 October 1909


Gruesome Police Find. Herbert Scholey (22). groom, was remanded at Liverpool on Tuesday, charged on his own confession with the wilful murder of Minnie Gascoyne, 35, a married woman, at West Derby. The evidence showed that on Monday night Scholey was arrested in the town for drunkenness and while in Bridewell stated that he had strangled the woman whom he had met in the afternoon. Inquiries were at once made and during the night the prisoner was driven out to West Derby, where he pointed to a ditch in a hay field m which the police found the body of the deceased with prisoner's belt lying beneath it. It appeared as though the body had been dragged through a gap in the hedge from the road, the spot being a lonely one near a wood. It is stated that no marks of strangulation were found. A post-mortem examination is to be held


Western Times Aug 19th 1912

A Liverpool Mystery

Dead body found under bed

When a man named BIERMAN returned to his home at Liverpool  from the Territorial Camp he was horrified to find the dead body of his father under the bed concealed from view. The daughter-in-law who was in the house thought that the elder BRIERMAN who had been missing since the end of July, had gone to sea. She noticed a smell in the room and opened the windows.

At an inquest on Saturday it was determined that the deceased died on July 29th, and they were unable to state the cause of death.


Feb. 3, 1926, Nottingham Evening Post

Triple murder trial on Friday

The trial of Lock ah TAM, aged 52, shipping agent of Birkenhead indicted at the Chester Assizes for the murder of his wife and two daughters by shooting them on December 2nd, after a birthday party will take place on Friday.

Judge MACKINNION addressing the Grand Jury at the Assizes today said that there could not be the least doubt that the man did kill his wife and daughters. The possible defence of insanity did not, however, concern the Grand Jury.

June 11, 1926 Western Times

Mother accused of drowning her two children

Annie LAVIN, married woman aged 28, was half carried from the dock sobbing violently, at Liverpool yesterday when remanded charged with the murder of her two children, a boy, aged 3 and a girl aged 2, whom she is alleged to have thrown into the canal yesterday, afterwards giving herself up to the police


Manchester Guardian July 12th 1927

Manchester Assizes

Crown Court, before Mr Justice FINLAY

Shots fired at St Helens

Joshua WILLIAMS, aged 62, a collier from St Helens, who pleaded not guilty of attempted murder, was found guilty of shooting with intent to do grievous bodily harm and was sentenced to 3 years penal servitude.

According to the case submitted by Mr DARBYSHIRE for the prosecution and supported with evidence, the prisoner was a married man living apart from his wife. He lodged with a Mr AUSTIN, a boilermaker and his wife at Water Lane, St Helens. There had been some trouble counsel suggested between the prisoner and the AUSTINS and on June 8th, Mr AUSTIN told the prisoner that he would have to get lodgings elsewhere, WILLIAMS replied he, “Would make it black for both of them.” And told them the following day, he “would have them yet.”

On the night of June 8th the prisoner came downstairs with a revolver in his hand and said, “I have got you both.” He then fired at them both, the first bullet grazed Mrs AUSTIN’S head cutting it open and the second grazed Mr AUSTIN’S cap and embedded itself in the wall. After a struggle Mr AUSTIN secured the revolver and when the police came, the prisoner said, “I don’t care if you put a rope around my neck tonight.”

For the defence it was suggested Mr AUSTIN taunted the prisoner about his wife and the revolver went off during the struggle with Mr AUSTIN.

Dr SHANNON the medical officer of Strangeways, Prison, said the prisoner was of low mental type.

22 October 1927 - Westminster Gazette 

Alleged murder of sick child

Man left with five children

At Birkenhead Police Court yesterday Albert Edward DAVIES, aged 28, a shipyard worker living in Proctor Rd, Birkenhead, was charged with the wilful murder of his daughter Elsie May aged 3yrs.

Inspector EVERARD stated that the accused called at the police station and in consequence of his statement the witness went to his home, where he found the body of the child lying in 9 inches of water in the bath. When charged with murder the prisoner replied, “I admit that Sir.”

On the application of the Chief Constable, the prisoner was remanded for a week.

Inquiries showed that 9 weeks ago DAVIES lost his wife in childbirth and he was left with 5 children the eldest only 6 years old. The child Elsie contracted an illness which developed into septic pneumonia. She was expected to die almost any hour when the man went to the police.

23 October 1927 - Weekly Dispatch

The daughter he loved

There were amazing scenes here last night when a thousand people waited in the rain to welcome home Albert Edward DAVIES, aged 28, a shipyard labourer, acquitted at Chester Assizes to-day of the murder of his 4-years-old daughter


July 9, 1928 Gloucester Citizen

Liverpool Tragedy

The Court of Criminal Appeal today dismissed the application of Albert George ABSALOM for leave to appeal against sentence of death passed on him at Liverpool Assizes for the murder of Mary Alice REED at Liverpool


Sept. 7, 1929, Nottingham Evening Post

Murder of mother of ten

Inquiry into the Liverpool Tragedy

The Liverpool coroner today adjourned an inquest on Ellen MAGUIRE aged 42, who was found dead, lying on a bed in her home in Newsham Street, Scotland Rd, Liverpool, with her head nearly severed. Mrs MAGUIRE was the mother of 10 children, and her husband, who was remanded yesterday charged with the murder of his wife did not attend the inquest.

Mary MAGUIRE, aged 21, the eldest daughter, said she was called home on Thursday afternoon and found her mother lying dead.

Det Sergt PRITCHARD said he charged John Francis MAGUIRE, aged 45, fruit hawker, with murdering his wife by cutting her throat and stabbing her in the neck with a knife.


Jan. 23, 1931 Western Gazette

Double Tragedy

Flaming human bundle thrown from window

A double tragedy occurred in Liverpool on Wednesday morning when a father killed his 2 year old child and then committed suicide. The man was Dennis O’MARA, aged 38, an unemployed labourer.

It appears he wrapped the 2 year old boy Danny in paper set fire to it and threw the bundle through a bedroom window to the pavement. The child was picked up dead. O’MARA when later confronted by the police, jumped through the window and was also killed.


 Guardian January 6th 1966

Man accused of murdering girl aged 9

George FURAY aged 36, a lorry driver of Ashurst Drive, St Helens was remanded in custody for a week when he appeared at St Helens yesterday charged with the murder of Linda HOUGHTON, aged 9 of Ashurst Drive, St Helens.

The deputy chief constable Mr J. J. BALL said extensive inquiries still had to be made Detective Chief-inspector W. K. COLLETT, head of St Helens CID, said that when charge FURAY replied, “Not guilty.”

The girl’s body was found in a field near her home on Tuesday morning after she had failed to return home on Monday night.

Copyright 2002 / To date