Liverpool Daily Post, May 23rd, 1941

Hoylake officer’s bravery

“Died trying to save life”

“He and some others of his crew met their death by going unhesitant into what was known to be a very great danger to life” States an official intimation to Mr and Mrs E. E. PEGG, of Sandringham Ave, Hoylake, of the death of their son Lieutenant Ernest Francis [Frank] PEGG. R.N.V.R, He was in command of one of H. M. Ships operating in a Harbour Patrol Flotilla.

Lieutenant PEGG who was a chartered accountant in practise in Liverpool was well known in Merseyside yachting circles, being a member of the Mersey Yacht Club, and of Hoylake Sailing Club, of which he was Hon assistant treasurer. His yacht “Caprice” was a regular participator in all the Merseyside regattas.

He was a former playing member of Hoylake Rugby Football Club, a member of the committee and a referee.

An officer serving in the same flotilla as Lieutenant PEGG, has written to Mr and Mrs PEGG that, “Frank died a brave death as a result of enemy action, whilst endeavouring to rescue the survivors of other ships.”


Doctor’s death in air raid

Ex- Liverpool student

Dr John Gerard ROGERS, who took his medical degree at Liverpool University in 1935, has died as a result of a recent air raid in London.

Dr ROGERS, who lived at 224 Southport Rd, Bootle was killed while discharging his duties in a London County Council Hospital, during a heavy raid. He was an old boy of St Edward’s College, Liverpool and had been for two years attached to Liverpool hospitals. He was house surgeon at the Northern and senior house surgeon at Mill Rd Infirmary, going thence to work under the L. C. C. in metropolitan hospitals to take his M.R.C.P. Dr ROGERS who was 38yrs old was unmarried, his brother Raymond was well known in Liverpool University sporting circles, as an Association Football player and track athlete.

The funeral took place last Sunday at Kilkeel, County Down, Ireland, where the family have close associations.


Playing at air raids

Child burned in an ashpit

How children were trapped in a disused ashpit whilst playing at “air raids” when one of them set fire to straw and shavings about the floor was described at a St Helens inquest yesterday.

On John Gerard SWEENEY, aged 5, of Vincent St Helens, who died of burned in hospital on Friday.

In returning a verdict of “Misadventure” Mr A. V. CUNLIFFE, Assistant Deputy Coroner, said no blame could be attached to anyone. He complimented Mrs Margaret QUINN, a young married woman of Charles St, St Helens, who dashed into the blazing ashpit and pulled all the children out.

Mrs QUINN said, the children had strewn the contents of an old buffet on the disused ashpit at her home. She heard the children shouting and dashing out saw flames coming out from the ashpit. The children were crowded into a corner she got them out through the flames and told them to run home.

Daniel QUINN, Mrs QUINN’S 8yr old son said, Vincent CARLTON, James SCOTT, Muriel PHILLIPS and John and Brian SWEENEY were playing air raids in the ashpit shelter. He found two matches and Muriel PHILLIPS said “Light a fire” The match went out and Muriel PHILLIPS struck the other and set fire to the straw.

The Coroner, “It is said you set fire to the straw?” - “No”

Mr CUNLIFFE said he must express his appreciation of the brave thing Mrs QUINN did in promptly getting the children out of the flames.

Mrs QUINN, “It’s only what anyone would have done I am sorry it has turned out, as it has on this little boy’s case,”



Evening Express April 24th, 1944

3 die in drowning accidents

Two Liverpool children lost their lives in drowning accidents over the weekend. On Saturday afternoon two and a half year old, Jean Patricia COLLIER and her sister Moira four, Leafield Rd, Hunts Cross fell into a pit of water in a field in Speke Hall Ave. Moira scrambled out but Jean lost her life despite the efforts of a man named Henry PHILLIPS to rescue her.

The second tragedy occurred yesterday when the body of four year old Mary CLUSKY, Commercial Rd, Kirkdale was recovered from the Leeds Liverpool Canal, near Sandhills Lane. The child was last seen when she left home to play in a nearby park.

Police Constable WADDINGTON

Police Constable WADDINGTON plunged into the canal at Sandhills fully clothed in a brave attempt to save the child. He managed to get her to the side and there tried artificial respiration and oxygen resuscitation, but when the child was removed to hospital she was found to be dead. Police Constable WADDINGTON, a former Northern Countries amateur boxing champion, was also taken to hospital, but after treatment was able to return home. Constable WADDINGTON has been in the force for 23 years, and lives in Sedgemoor Rd, Norris Green, Liverpool.

Pond Tragedy

Wallasey police today recovered the body of 16 year old William ARMSTRONG, Laird St, Birkenhead from a pond near the lighthouse on Leasowe Common. ARMSTRONG was drowned on Saturday in an attempt to rescue a boy. He was one of six boys playing with two rafts on the pond. One raft became waterlogged and overturned, four boys being thrown into the water. ARMSTRONG jumped off the other raft to rescue one of the smaller boys, but got into difficulties himself and sank. His companion on the second raft, Frank PART, aged 15, of Carrington St, Birkenhead, scrambled out of the water. Four other boys were rescued by Thomas ORCHARD a naval rating, and John AIREY, Bridge St, Liverpool. One boy Anthony John PITMAN, aged 8, of Joan Ave, Moreton, was treated for the effects of immersion.

© 2011 to 2016 all rights reserved to date