Deaths and Inquests 1916-1919



Liverpool Echo 17 February 1916

Twice wounded

News has been received that Private T. SKILBECK, of the 4th Battalion, Liverpool Pals has been wounded again in France. He was first wounded by a bullet in the thigh in December and made a good recovery. He was back in the trenches in a few weeks. Now unfortunately he loses his left eye.


Liverpool Echo 23 February 1916

Captain E. B. BEAZLEY

The announcement that he has been wounded occasioned sympathetic interest in Liverpool commercial circles for he is well known and popular on Change. Captain BEAZLEY is the son of Mr J. H. BEAZLEY, of Oak Dene, Noctorum, and was before joining the 18th Liverpool Pals, in business as a stock and share broker. We understand he is progressing favourably towards recovery.


Liverpool Echo, May 4th, 1916

Woman's tragic end in Liverpool

A fire this morning at 27 Mona St, off Myrtle St resulted in the death of a married woman, Hemay INGHAM, aged 60, and the destruction of some house furniture. Mr Eastwood INGHAM and his wife were little known in the neighbourhood having only resided in the house for a few weeks. Mrs INGHAM is described as being of a somewhat nervous disposition. Last night her husband was away all night, but went home early this morning when he found the door open and the place in flames. He roused the neighbours and together they got buckets of water which they threw on the blazing material.

Firemen from the station in Clive St attended followed by the brigade from Hatton Garden. After the flames had been subdued firemen entered the building and found Mrs INGHAM lying on the kitchen floor dead, her body being considerably charred. How the house got on fire is a mystery, which is being investigated by the authorities.

The fire was confined to the rooms where it originated. The contents of the back-kitchen were destroyed, and the floor partially burned. The theory is that Mrs INGHAM had fallen asleep and had first been overcome by the fumes and was unable to escape.


Private Thomas BAKER of the Imperial Australian Force has been killed in action. He has been in Australia for 6 years and was previously employed by Alfred HOLT'S Steamship Co. He was 27, his parents reside at 25 Madryd St, Liverpool.


The funeral took place yesterday of Mr Frederick John UNDERWOOD, of 178 Seaview Rd, Liscard, he was for a number of years manager of the Pioneer Furniture Shop, Bold St, and owing to ill-health he retired from that position in October last. Prior to the opening of the "Pioneer" Mr UNDERWOOD was manager at Bunney's.


Liverpool Echo 12 July 1916

Official news has been received of the death in action of Private Percy BRAHAM of the Liverpool Pals, he was the second son of Mr and Mrs S. BRAHAM of 31 Madelaine St and 12 Park Rd, Liverpool.


Liverpool Echo, Monday 17 July 1916,

Bootle mother's double loss, " Mrs. Kirkwood, of 15, Bedford-road, Bootle, has sustained a double loss by the death in France of her son, Sergeant A. Kirkwood, of the " Pals," and of another son, Co.-sergeant-major J. Kirkwood, King's Liverpool Regiment, who was killed in action on July 9th.

Waterworks employee

Private Michael MALONEY of the South Lancashire Regt, has been killed, he was 33, and resided with his mother at 47 Kilshaw St. He was with the Liverpool Corporation [Water Dept] for 17 years.

An old Bluecoat boy,

Corporal Henry GREEN of the "Pals" who lived at 70 Bebington Rd, New Ferry died of wounds. He was employed by Lever Brothers and was educated at the Liverpool Bluecoat School, and served his apprenticeship with Messers BRIGGS, WOLSTENHOLME, and THORNLEY, architects.

Mr and Mrs DONAGGHIE of 27 Ivanhoe St, Bootle, have received news that their son Private James DONAGHIE of the King's Liverpool Regt, has been killed in action at the age of 17 years 6 months.

Always cheerful, Private Ernest SHONE of the "Pals" has been killed, he resided with his mother at 41 Vran Hill, Liverpool. Previous to the war he was employed at the Imperial Tobacco Company. His officer in a letter wrote, "He was loved by all who knew him out here. It was his ready wit that kept up the spirits of the men when they were in the most dangerous places."


Major HIGGINS of the Liverpool Regt [TF] was killed in action on the 11th inst. George Frederick HIGGINS, secretary of the Liverpool Cotton Association, son of F. C. HIGGINS, cotton broker, born Jan 29th 1880, educated at Warwick School, member of the School Cadet Corps, served in the ranks of the old 2nd V.B, K.L.R, was with the Sea Insurance Company for 8 years until 1904, when he was appointed assistant secretary to the Liverpool Cotton Association and in 1909 succeeded Mr Peter BROWN as secretary. On the formation of the "Pals" he obtained permission from the directors to join. On Sept 1. 1914 he was gazetted captain.

The following was posted in the Cotton Exchange today :- The directors of the Liverpool Cotton Association wish to place on record their great sorrow at the loss which the association has sustained by the death of Major George F. HIGGINS, During the years he held the position as secretary of the association his work on behalf of the members was untiring, his kindly manner and cheerful disposition endearing him to all with whom he came in contact. Major HIGGINS joined his Majesty's forces in August 1914 and since that time devoted his energies to the service of his King and country. He fell in action on July 11th, leading an attack at the head of his men. The flag is flying half mast over the Cotton Exchange as a mark of respect to the late secretary.

Killed in Action

WILD, June 26th, Private Harry WILD, "Pals", youngest son of James WILD 154 Bedford Rd, Bootle.

WILSON, July, aged 36, Private John WILSON, "Pals" dearly loved husband of Sarah WILSON, 48 Tagus St, sadly missed by his sorrowing wife and children. He loved honour more than he feared death. Dearly beloved youngest son of John and the late Mary WILSON, 54 Carter St, deeply mourned by Father, sisters and brothers.

Died from wounds

BURT, July 9th, in hospital from wounds received in action, Cecil [South Lancs] dearly loved husband of Clarice BURT, and only son of Elizabeth BURT, of Liverpool and Accrington and grandson of Letitia SIMPSON.

CLARKE, Daniel Herbert, "Pals" fondly remembered by his fiance Marie, 14 Ashfield, Wavertree.

GREEN, July 3rd, Corporal Henry GREEN, King's Liverpool Regiment, eldest son of Mrs GREEN, 70 Bebington Rd, New Ferry [Canadian papers please copy]

JONES, In loving memory of our dear son, Private John Henry JONES, [Pals] youngest son of Captain and Mrs JONES, 15 Adelaide St, Poulton, Wallasey, who died of wounds, 13th July 1916, aged 23, a break in our life we are unable to mend.

STAUNTON, from wounds received in action in France, aged 21, Private Thomas STAUNTON, Lancashire Fusiliers, beloved nephew of Mr and Mrs WEBB, also cousin Frank, 11 Verona St, R,I.P one of the best.

TOOMBS, died of wounds received in action with the "Pals" Harry dearly beloved son of Mrs TOOMBS, "The Bungalow" C. Meath, County Louth, Ireland and only brother of Edward TOOMBS, 46 Netherby St, Dingle, Liverpool. Greater love hath no man than this, that he should sacrifice his life for another.


Liverpool Echo 21 December 1916

WESTON, Emma aged 62, of 45 Great Newton St, dearly beloved wife of the late George, interment at Allerton Cemetery, Saturday next.

WILLIAMS, Winifred, December 18th at 14 Wellington St, Garston, dearly beloved wife of Richard T. WILLIAMS, interment at Allerton Cemetery today

Liverpool Echo, December 27th, 1916

Footballer dies of wounds

Private James CRABTREE of the Cheshires, whose widow and two children live in Liverpool, and whose father resides at 2 Brougham Terrace, Seacombe has succumbed while on the way home from the front after severe wounds and amputation of the left leg. He was a clever footballer and played for the Poulton Rovers, and Liverpool and District League auspices.

Liverpool Echo, December 27th, 1916

11 inquests in one day

Mr BRIGHOUSE county coroner is having a busy day. He left Ormskirk by the 10am train and before the day is over he will have conducted no fewer than 11 inquests in various parts of South West Lancashire.

At Haydock a verdict of accidental death was returned in the case of Peter SMITH aged 53 and Thomas GORDON aged 37, who died from injuries received on December 9th, after a shot explosion in the old Boston pit. Two other men were injured.

A similar verdict was returned at St Helens in the case of Joseph HALSALL aged 44, of Sunbury St, Thatto Heath, who died after being injured at the Lea Green Colliery, his thigh was broken.

Lathom Colliery Fatality

A verdict of Accidental Death was returned at Skelmersdale today touching the death of William Henry ROTHERAM, aged 47, collier who was killed at the colliery of Lord LATHOM, Blaguegate, on Saturday morning last.

He had finished work after working all night, and stepped into the main brow, up which five boxes of coal were being hauled. One of the hooks of the boxes gave way and they were precipitated down the very steep decline. They caught ROTHERAM and knocked him down, and ran over his body, he was picked up dead.

Mr Henry HOUGHTON the manager of the colliery, expressed the regret of Lord LATHOM at the sad occurrence , saying that was the first fatality that had occurred at the Arley mine since it was first sunk 30 years ago, and it would now very soon be closed.

Mr ROTHERAM was formerly a well known referee in Liverpool and Ormskirk junior football circles.



Liverpool Echo, 26 March 1917



The tragic death of a young domestic servant named Margaret Griffiths, sixteen years of age, was investigated by the Liverpool Acting-Coroner, Mr A. G. Inglis, to-day. Margaret Griffiths was employed in service in Bentley Rd where she had a good and comfortable situation. On Thursday afternoon she went out, and should have returned about nine that evening. She failed to do so and next morning her dead body was found floating in the large lake at Sefton Park.

A girl companion, also a servant, said they went out together on Thursday for a walk. They met two soldiers and went with them to Seaforth, returning to Liverpool about 10pm. It was 20 minutes past that hour when they reached Princes Park gates and then Margaret Griffiths said it was too late for her to go home. Her companion, however thought she was merely joking.

A police sergeant deposed to finding the body of the girl in the lake near the caves, there was no sign of violence.

This was borne out in the medical evidence, the girl was not in trouble and death was due to drowning, a verdict to the effect was returned.



Liverpool Echo 17th, January 1918

Starved herself

The recluse who lived with three cats

Death of the old lady

Extraordinary story at Liverpool inquest.

Eccentric in habit and living with three cats as her sole companions, an old lady named Anne BUCHANAN was found dead in her house at 13 Salisbury Terrace, Wavertree. The Liverpool inquest which was held today, discovered an extraordinary story, it appeared the recluse who was 66, was both eccentric and suspicious, and would have nothing to do with anyone. She would not allow anyone to enter her home, and when a relative called she spoke to her through the letter box. She was not insane and thus could not be certified for removal to an asylum, and the sanitary authorities failed to enter the house when they visited it in consequence of the complaint of the neighbours.

Lads would sometimes break her windows, and she would curse them through the broken panes. She had an annuity of about 50 and owned both the house in which she lived and another one, and thus there was no reason why she should die from starvation. It was seldom she went out beyond her own gate.

No smoke having been observed from her chimney for about a week, an entry was at last made by a police officer and others through a broken, patched up window. The old lady was found dead on the floor in the back parlour. It seemed she had fallen from a temporary bed made of two chairs

The house was in a filthy condition. A dead cat was found downstairs, while upstairs were discovered two more dead cats, covered up, as if she had done it herself. In the letter box was an unopened letter, it contained a statement of accounts and a postal order for 17s-7d.

From a post mortem examination it was found that the body was extremely emaciated and decomposition was marked. No trace of violence was discovered, and the medical testimony was that death was due to double pneumonia, accelerated by chronic starvation. The jury returned a verdict in accordance with this medical evidence. ---

Liverpool Echo 26 October 1918

Captain J. C. CARR of the K.L.R, has been killed in action in France. He joined the Liverpool Pals and saw much action in France. It is only a few months since he was promoted on the field from the rank of Lieutenant to Captain. Liverpool Echo 26 October 1918

Brave Liverpool stewardess

Among the local victims of the ill-fated Burntu was Mrs DOIG, of 17 Lynedock St, Liverpool, and sister of Mrs VOAS, 25 Wallasey Village. Mrs DOIG, who was a stewardess on the boat was a widow, and had been in the service of Elder Dempster and Co for four years. On the collision taking place she went to the help of two ladies, helping them to dress and put on their lifebelts, and assisting them up on deck. When last seen she was seen doing her best to cheer up one of the ladies.




July 17th 1919

The lost airship

Message from the King

The King desires to express his deepest sympathy with the relatives of those officers and men who lost their lives in the airship N.S. 11, while employed in mine clearing operations.

Names and addresses of the crew :-

Captain W. K. WARNEFORD, [commander] Lansdowne House, Huyton, Liverpool

Captain H. E. ELLIOTT, recently staying with his wife at Harleston

Flight Sergeant O'CONNOR, Shepherd's Bush, London

Sergeant LEWREY, Leesland Rd, Gosport

Sergeant WAGHORN, Crayford, Kent

Air Craftsman C. J. JACQUES, Victoria Rd, Long Eaton

Air Craftsman J. CAMERON, 18 Peasley St, Gorton, Manchester

Air Craftsman CONELLY, Midfield Cottage, Inveresk, Midlothian

It has been definitely ascertained that the airship foundered four miles north-west of the village of Salthouse, between Wells and Sheringham


Burnley Express 26 July 1919

In Memoriam

HINDLE, In loving memory of Pte W. HINDLE 23034, Liverpool Pals, killed in action July 30th 1916, Peace perfect peace, his loving wife.

HINDLE, In loving memory of Pte W. HINDLE 23034, Liverpool Pals, killed in action July 30th 1916, from all at 169 Brunshaw Rd.

2013 to date all rights reserved