Deaths and inquests 1914

Jan 6th 1914

Mr H. L. BOWER of the firm of H. L. BOWER and Co cotton merchants, a prominent member of the Liverpool Cotton Association and a well known figure on the Cotton Exchange died yesterday.

Mr J. WALLS, who recently retired from the American lines, died at Southampton, he was a native of Liverpool

Jan 14th 1914

The death is announced of Mr Henry JEVONS, a Liverpool magistrate, formerly chairman of the Liverpool Chamber of Commerce and the Liverpool Reform Club

Liverpool Echo, 20 January 1914



The Liverpool Coroner has been apprised of a mournful tragedy which occurred last night or this morning in Sefton Park, the body of a young woman having been recovered from the large lake.

It appears that Margaret Downey, 19 years of age, of 57 Cecil St, Wavertree, left her home about 5.30pm yesterday and did not return. Anxious inquiries were made about her in all likely directions, without result.

A park-keeper while doing his rounds this morning, observed a woman's hat floating on the surface of the lake, his curiosity being aroused he took a boast in order to examine the object. He thereupon discovered the body of a female partly submerged. He at once brought it to the bank, and the police were called.

The remains were conveyed to Lark Lane mortuary, and subsequently identified as those of the missing girl Downey. It transpires she had been in delicate health and was despondent. Which probably accounts for the tragedy.

Jan 20th 1914

The death is announced of Mr George Curzon DOBELL, aged 83, a Liverpool merchant, formerly well known as the owner of famous racehorses

Feb 4th 1914

Mr Baron Louis BENAS one of the founders of the Liverpool Jewish Board of Guardians and a Liverpool City magistrate died yesterday at the age of 70.

Feb 7th 1914

Yesterday morning the body of Mr T. DANIELS, of Church St, Southport was discovered on the shoreward side of the municipal golf links a mile and a half from his home. Mr DANIELS was in ill-health and subject to fits of dizziness, he left home between 6 and 7pm the night before last and did not return. He was head of the firm of T. DANIEL and Son estate agents and valuers Liverpool, and resigned from the Southport Town Council last November.

Feb 10th 1914

The death has taken place at his residence in Liverpool of Mr Emil PURGOLD, Consul in Liverpool for the Republic of Hayti and Vice Consul for St Domingo

Feb 17th 1914

Pit cage disaster at Platt Bridge

A pit cage disaster resulting in the death of three people occurred yesterday afternoon at the Low Hill Collieries, Platt Bridge, Wigan, belonging to the Moss Hall Coal Company Ltd [which is amalgamated with the Messers PEARSON and KNOWLES Coal and Iron Co] At 3.05pm a cage containing 10 men and boys was ascending the No 5 shaft when by some means, not yet explained an empty coal tub fell from the surface down the shaft and struck violently the bonnet of the cage. An alarm was at once raised and the cage was stopped. The iron bonnet of the cage had been forced inwards and three occupants of the top deck had been killed instantly, their companions having had a remarkable escape from injury. Mr H. STEPHENSON the manager, was quickly notified and he went to one of the "mouthings" in the shaft, where the 7 occupants who had escaped were taken out of the shaft, taken to the surface and later able to walk home. The cage containing the dead was later drawn to the top after the shaft had been examined. The bodies were conveyed to Hindley mortuary to await the coroner's inquiry. The victims, who it is reported were terribly battered about the head, were, Daniel BEASLEY, aged 16, haulage hand of Liverpool Rd, Platt Bridge, Robert JONES, aged 25, drawer, Caroline St, Higher Ince, and Frank HAGUE, aged 27, drawer, Hardybutts, Wigan.

Mar 3rd 1914

The death is announced of Mr Edward COMBER, an ex-president of the Liverpool Cotton Association, and until a short time ago a member of the firm of Messes SHAND, HIGSON and Co, cotton brokers. He had been a member of the Liverpool Cotton Association for 20 years and spent many years in India with the firm of Messers LYON, COMBER and Co, Indian Merchants.

Mar 8th 1914

At an inquest yesterday concerning the death of Dr Jerome Eugene O'SULLIVAN, Liverpool practitioner, it was found that he died through taking opium in mistake for sal volatile. Deceased suffered from a weak heart and tool sal volatile, at 11pm on Thursday he entered his surgery and directly afterwards went to his room, his wife noticed a smell of opium and asked him what he had taken, he replied sal volatile. She said, "I think I can smell opium" and he answered, "Oh have I taken opium by mistake?" Sir James BARR and Dr BAILEY were called for and sat with Dr O'SULLIVAN until the next day when he died. The jury returned a verdict of misadventure.

Mar 30th 1914

The death occurred on Saturday at his residence at Waterloo, Liverpool, of Mr Edmund BUCKLEY, a well known arbitrator on the cotton market, he was the head of the firm of Messers E. BUCKLEY and Son cotton brokers, and for nearly 25 years was a member of the Liverpool Cotton Association.

June 16th 1914

The death is announced of Miss Carlotta ADDISON, which occurred on Sunday at her house in Avonmore Rd, London. Up to Wednesday last she appeared as usual in Pygmalion at His Majesty's. She was born in Liverpool in July 1849, she and her sister Fanny were educated for the stage by their father Edmund Philip ADDISON and Carlotta made her London debut in 1866 at the St Jame's Theatre.

June 20th 1914

The death has occurred of Sir John Edward Gray HILL, one of the leading solicitors of Liverpool, head of the firm HILL, DICKINSON and Co, which numbers amongst it clients many of the leading shipping companies and merchants of Liverpool. He was born in London in 1839, being a nephew of Sir Rowland HILL, the postal reformer, and also a nephew of the late Mr HILL, Q. C, Recorder of Birmingham. He served one year as chairman of the Incorporated Law Society of Liverpool and another year as chairman of the society which includes the whole of England. He travelled extensively especially in Palestine and had a house near Jerusalem which he regularly visited. He became unwell in Paris while returning from his last visit to this house with Lady HILL and died only a few days after reaching his home in Birkenhead. In politics he was a Unionist Free Trader.

Aug 25th, 1914

Worried by new drill books, suicide of an officer

A verdict of suicide during temporary insanity was returned at an inquest at Westminster yesterday in the case of Captain Henry WALKER, aged 47, who was found dead in his chambers Ryder St, St James. He was formerly in the Liverpool Militia regiment from which he retired 12 years ago. Last week he was given another commission and was most anxious to go to the front. He had purchased his uniform, but was worried because he could not master the details of the new drill-books. It was stated that he was an underwriter at Lloyds. On Saturday he was found to have shot himself with the new revolver he had bought on obtaining his commission.

Aug 31st, Death At Coningsby, Blundellsands, Daniel HIGSON, aged 85, interment at Anfield Cemetery

Sept 24th, 1914

A widow's curious delusion

The Liverpool coroner held an inquest yesterday attending the circumstances of the death of Florence Nicol BLOORE, aged 52, widow of a boot factor's manager. The woman was stated to have suffered from delusions and to have been under the impression that everyone was persecuting her. She had complained to the magistrates that a gentleman had flown over her house in an aeroplane and threatened her down the chimney. So obsessed was she with this idea that she would cry out at night that a man in an aeroplane was persecuting her, she ended her life by taking poison adding after she had taken a quantity of salts of lemon, "I am better dead than alive." A verdict of suicide whilst of unsound mind was returned.

Oct 7th, 1914,

Death at his residence Barrow Fold, Poynton, Stephen Joseph TENNANT, aged 71, after 4 months illness, eldest son of the late Stephen Cattley TENNANT, of Liverpool and Havana. Funeral at Brooklands Cemetery, October 10th.

Oct 11th 1914

At an inquest at New Maldon, Surrey yesterday on Private William BAILEY of the 5th King's Liverpool Regt [T] who was knocked down by a train, it was stated that the deceased body was found by a young woman whom he was on his way to meet when he was killed. A verdict of accidental death was returned.

Liverpool Daily Post, October 21st 1914

Killed by a Birkenhead Taxi

Mary Constance BEER, aged 60 of Woodchurch Rd, Birkenhead was crossing Borough Rd on Monday and was knocked down by a taxi cab travelling in the direction of Central Station. She was taken in the cab to hospital, where she died shortly after admission having sustained a fracture to the base of the skull.


Vital witnesses why a Liverpool inquest was adjourned.

The Deputy Coroner of Liverpool Mr A. G. INGLIS, had to adjourn an inquest yesterday, under circumstances without precedent.

He would not proceed with an investigation into the circumstances attended the death of Laura ANGELBECK, aged 46, wife of Edward ANGELBECK, master baker, 111 Copperas Hill.

On October 7th, about 6.30pm deceased was knocked down and severely injured by a taxi cab. The driver promptly stopped his vehicle and assisted by a police officer the woman was lifted into the cab and taken to the Royal Infirmary.

While the officer was inside the institution the cab driver drove off, his number has been taken, and has not yet been identified. The accident was witnessed by a cyclist, but he is unknown and his evidence should be obtained if possible.

The injured woman having been attended to at the infirmary was removed home at her own request, but subsequently she had to be taken to the Stanley Hospital where she died on the 17th. The inquest is adjourned until November 5th, and it is hoped the taxi driver and cyclist will come forward.

Nov 3rd 1914

Death of a Liverpool shipowner

Mr Alfred BOOTH, of the well known Booth line of steamers, father of Mr A. A. BOOTH, Chairman of the Cunard Steamship Company died yesterday aged 80. He was an active supporter of educational institutions, being a member of the Council of Liverpool University and the Liverpool Council of Education. He was prominent in charitable and philanthropic work. He was appointed Liverpool magistrate in 1891.

Nov 6th 1914

The death took place suddenly at Abergele of Mr James Alderson SMITH, a well known Liverpool Churchman, he was secretary to the Liverpool Diocesan Finance Association, general secretary to the Liverpool Cathedral Committee, and a member of the Wallasey Town Council. He was a Conservative in politics and a past master of the Wilms Lathom Lodge of Freemasons.

Nov 10th 1914

At the Liverpool Coroner's court, John George CLARKE, a caretaker of the Liverpool Savings Bank and Royal Marine reservist, died through taking a hot bath after a heavy meal. CLARKE who had been called up for service and was attached to the Royal Flying Corps at Hendon, wrote home to his wife at Liverpool stating that he had been in accidents while flying, in one the machine came down on a tree in Epping Forest and that he didn't remember anything for four days. Returning to Liverpool on Sunday he partook of a hearty meal and half an hour later took a hot bath. Subsequently he was found lying dead in bed. The medical evidence showed death was due to natural causes, accelerated by heart shock due to the bath following on the dinner.

Nov 28th, 1914,

The death occurred yesterday of Mr Philip Henry HOLT, aged 83, at his residence Liverpool. For many years he was a partner in the extensive shipping business of the Ocean Steam-ship Company. He was a philanthropist as were his four brothers, of whom he was the last survivor. They were the sons of George HOLT, Liverpool cotton broker. He was a Liberal and a member of the Liverpool City Council for many years. The Liverpool Institute received valuable help from his purse, he assisted the corporation at his own expense in the purchase and demolition of insanitary property, he made donations over 50,000 to the Mechanics Institute, and presented to the city about 18 years ago a recreation ground embracing many acres known as the Wavertree Mystery, from the fact that the name of the generous donor was so long kept secret.

Dec 24th 1914,

Death at the Royal Southern Hospital Edward beloved husband of Euphemia BRAMAH [2nd son of the late John BRAMAH of Patricroft] Interment at St Luke's Great Crosby, Dec 28th.

Dec 26th 1914

Liverpool "Pal" killed

Private Patrick HOBAN, a Liverpool tobacconist, who enlisted in the 2nd Pal's Battalion of the King's Liverpool Regiment, and who had been training at Knowsley, was thrown off a motor waggon when on duty and died before reaching hospital. At an inquest held on Christmas Eve a verdict of accidental death was returned.

Deaths and inquests 1915

Deaths and inquests 1915

Jan 26th, 1915

Mr Alexander ELDER, a well known shipowner and philanthropist, died at his residence Albert Rd, Southport on Monday, aged 81. He was the son of the late David ELDER, who was one of the founders of marine engineering in Scotland. The celebrity of the Clyde as the cradle of steam navigation owed much to his efforts.

Mr A. ELDER was educated at Glasgow University. He served his apprenticeship under his distinguished father and in due course became the manager of the firm John ELDER and Co at Govan. This firm was the originators of the compound engine that ever crossed the Atlantic, the S.S, Brandon in 1854. Nearly 50 years ago Mr ELDER went to Liverpool, where he became a steamship owner. He first established the British and African Steam Navigation Company, and then the famous firm of ELDER, DEMPSTER and Co. For many years he was a director of the Pacific Steam Navigation Company, and he was also chairman of the Steamship Owners Association and a member of the Local Marine Board at Liverpool. In 1909 he founded the Alexander Elder class of naval architecture at the Liverpool University, at a cost of 12,500. In 1863 he was awarded the bronze medal of the Royal Humane Society for bravery in saving life at the risk of his own. On a foggy night in January a boilermaker fell into the Sandon Dock, Mr ELDER jumped into the water and rescued the man. He was noted in Southport for his many charitable donations and public spirit.

May 15th, 1915

St Helens territorials lose four officers

According to reports which have reached St Helens, the 5th South Lancashire Regiment [T.F] has suffered severely in an attack by the Germans on their trenches, and four officers have been killed or have died of wounds and one has been wounded, while no fewer than 17 non-commissioned officers have been killed or wounded. The officers who have been killed are Captain W. L. STANNARD, Captain W. A. TAYLOR, Lieutenant Reginald ACTON, and Lieutenant F. W. BROWN, while Captain A. J. McPHAIL, Captain W. HEATON, Lieutenant McPHAIL and Lieutenant CRIPPEN have been wounded.

Captain STANNARD was a member of the firm of Messers STANNARD and ELLIS, chartered accountants, St Helens, and was formerly private secretary to Colonel E. PILKINGTON, who was at one time member for the Newton Division. Captain TAYLOR was the proprietor of the Rainford Engineering Works and was also a director of the Bickerstaffe Colliery. He leaves a widow and one child. Lieutenant ACTON was the son of Mr J. D. ACTON of Liverpool. Lieutenant BROWN was the son of Mr Fred BROWN, builder St Helens.

That the members of the 5th South Lancashire Regiment have done particularly good work at the front is indicated by the fact that seven of them have already been awarded Distinguished Conduct Medals for conspicuous bravery on the field, while it is said that one of them is to be recommended for the Victoria Cross. The news of the doings of the 5th has given a great fillip to recruiting in St Helens, which has already sent some 14,000 men to join the colours.

A gallant Rhyl man's death

News has reached Rhyl of the death of Corporal Fred ROBERTS [5th Kings Liverpools] of Mulgrave Rhyl. A captain of his regiment writing to his relatives, says that ROBERTS went out early in the morning to catch a German sniper in an extended sap who had been doing a good deal of damage. With his usual bravery and utter disregard for his own safety ROBERTS went forward, but was shot by the sniper. ROBERTS was about to return to Wales and take up a commission in the Welsh Army Corps at Llandudno. Before enlisting he was on the sea and held a master mariner's certificate. In January 1914, while on the Booth liner GREGORY he went with a crew of five in a small boat to the assistance of the oil steamer OKLAHOMA which had broken in two off Atlantic City. Diving into the water he swam with life-lines to the distressed vessel and was the means of saving the crew. For his gallant act he was entertained at a banquet in New York and was presented with a gold medal and $500.

Two Old Boys of the Abergele County School killed

The news of the deaths in action have been received of two Old Boys of the Abergele County School. Harry AMOS, who at the outbreak of war was trading in Western Australia, was killed in the fighting in the Dardenelles, where he was serving with the Australian forces. He was the 4th son of the late Mr Sam AMOS a former proprietor of the "Rhyl Advertiser" two of his brothers are serving with the colours.

Frank LINEKAR who was attached to the 6th Liverpools, was killed in France. He only left school a couple of years ago and was the son of Mr T. J. LINEKAR of the Colwyn Bay Council staff. Until he joined the forces he was on the Liverpool Dock Board staff.

Three Anglesey engineers killed

News has reached Holyhead that three Anglesey Engineers have been killed in action, two are Holyhead men, William BROWN and Owen John OWENS, the third being Thomas LEWIS, Brynderwen, Pencarnisiog. BROWN was for many years a prominent player of the Holyhead Swifts, F.C, and was well known in football quarters throughout Wales. OWENS was the eldest son of Mr and Mrs John OWENS, Gareglwyd Cottage, and was aged 17. The total number of Holyhead men who have fallen is 16 out of 1,100 who went on active service. LEWIS was killed at Ypres on the 30th April being buried on the field of battle the following day. He died humming the words of a Welsh hymn "O Dduw rho im Dy Hedd" he was aged 22.

Chester men killed

Several Chester men have been killed at the front, Sergeant Lewis FOULKES, 2nd East Yorkshires, was the son of Mrs FOULKES of Louise St, he was wounded in September at the Aiane but returned to the front about six weeks ago. Private J. H. PARRY, 1st Cheshires of 10 Peel St, was a National Reservist who volunteered for active service. He along with five other men was killed by a shell, the burial service was attended by all the officers of the regiment. Private J. JENKINSON of 13 Milton St was also killed by a shell at the commencement of a big attack while serving with the 2nd Battalion, Royal Welsh Fusiliers. Private Michael PATTERSON of 27 Sybil St, who also met with an instantaneous death, had been 16 years service with the Cheshires and as a reservist was attached to the 3rd Battalion. Corporal T. E. WILSON, eldest son of Mrs WILSON, Bicley Moss, has been killed with the 8th Battalion Canadians and leaves a widow and three children.

Mr John PHILLIPS, of Aughton, Ormskirk, formerly secretary of the Liverpool Stock Exchange has received word that his 3rd son Rifleman H. O. PHILLIPS, Liverpool Rifles, has died from wounds. Whilst out of a trench attempting to locate the place whence hand grenades were being thrown by the enemy he was shot by a sniper.

Preston men killed

A Preston man Private Alfred PILKINGTON, who enlisted while in Canada, and fought with the 48th Highlanders, 15th, Canadian Battalion, has died from the effects of poisonous German gas. He used to work as a joiner in Preston and was only married on Boxing-day.

News of the death in action of Driver Alfred GREER, of the R.F.A, has been received, he leaves a widow and two children who live at 75 Byron St, Preston. GREER was in the 29th Division, engaged in landing operations at the Dardanelles, he formerly worked at Preston Docks.


Liverpool Echo, September 17th 1915

A. E. W. BALL of the Liverpool Fire Brigade, is serving on one of his Majesty's ships at the Dardanelles. Birkenhead soldier missing

Official information has been received that Private P. T. ROBERTS [8070] 1st Loyal North Lancashire Regt who has been at the front since the commencement of the war, was reported missing after an action on May 9th last, Every inquiry has been made but no trace of him can be found. Any information from his comrades will be thankfully received by his parents at 146 Craven St, Birkenhead.

Wigan licensee killed on the railway

Ralph STARKIE, licensee of the Bricklayer's Arms, Wallgate, Wigan, was found dead on the London and North Western Railway, near Rylance's sidings. His head was completely severed from his body.

Orphan School old boy

Lance-corporal Frank KIRKWOOD, 1st Border Regt, an old boy of the Liverpool Orphan Asylum, Myrtle St, was killed in action at the Dardanelles. He arrived in England with his regiment from India in January of this year and went to the Dardanelles in April. He was wounded and went into hospital at Malta. On his recovery he returned to the firing line, but was killed two days afterwards. A colleague said of him that he was always an example for good to his comrades. The school has a long list of old boys serving in the forces.

Cheshire man killed

News was received today of the death in action at the Dardanelles of Private Frederick DICKENS, 8th Cheshire Regt of Great Budworth near Northwich. He is the first soldier from there to fall. He was 24 and formerly an under-gardener, and son of a Marston salt worker.

Liverpool tramway driver

Lance-corporal, W. J. KAYLE [2421] of the 1st Bat King's Royal Rifles was killed in action at Givenchy on March 10th, 1915. He served 8 years in India and was called up at the outbreak of war. In a letter to his wife a wounded comrade says, "I had a deep respect and great admiration for his bravery. We were together in many a risky venture and always came out on top until this last lot, and you may well be proud of his memory." He was a driver for the Liverpool Corporation Tramways and was greatly respected by his fellow workmen. He resided at 72 Spotforth Rd, Edge Hill and leaves a widow and four children.

2012 all rights reserved