Deaths and Inquests 1906

The Penny Illustrated Paper, July 14, 1906

Peter LAMB and William HAWKINS lost their lives in a boating accident in the Crosby Channel, Liverpool, they went out from the Landing-stage in a sailing punt, 17 feet long, with James RICHARDS the owner of the boat, and a man named POTTER. When near Taylor's Bank the movements of some of the party capsized the craft, POTTER and RICHARDS were picked up by another boat.

Deaths and Inquests 1907

Deaths and Inquests 1907

Liverpool Mercury, January 5th, 1907

Deaths and Inquests

Mr T. E. SIMPSON, Liverpool Coroner held inquest on :-

The death of Ambrose Joseph DIGNAN, aged 16, junior passenger porter of the London and North Western Railway Co, at Edge Lane station. Deceased who resided at Oak Leigh, Tuebrook, had been in the habit of walking to work along the line, he got on the line at West Derby Rd, then passing beneath the bridge at Lister Dr, to go through Stanley station and on to Edge Lane station. A couple of hrs after leaving his body was found mutilated on the line near Lister Dr, bridge. It is believed he was hit by an engine, accidental death.

On the death of Joseph PATRICKSON, 50, a stoker and engine tender at a local brewery, who resided in Horsley St. The deceased was travelling on an electric-car towards the Dingle on the evening of the 23rd Dec last. When the car was in Great George Place at a standstill, he jumped off, but the car had not actually stopped and he was dragged along as he hung on to the rail. He went into work unhurt. Next afternoon he was taken ill and death ensued. Dr ROBINSON performed a post mortem and found death was due to congestion of the lungs and a heart condition, in all probability accelerated by the accident, natural causes.

Mrs DONAGHY of Birkenhead, an elderly woman, was killed at James St, Station on Tuesday, she intended to leave James St for Rock Ferry. On attempting to board the train she fell between the train and platform. She was conveyed to the Northern Hospital with severe internal injuries, where it was found the unfortunate woman was dead.

William BARLOW, aged 51, of Moorfield, Widnes was found dead on a railway siding leading from Clockface Colliery to Bold Rd, on Monday evening. He was found by Walter HOUGH, Fitter and had a wound on his back and broken right arm. It is thought he was hit from behind by a wagon.

Mr BRIGHOUSE held an inquest at St Helens on the death of Martin TYRELLS, aged 62, of Back Clockface Rd. Deceased was a roadman for Whiston Rural Council. On Christmas eve his wife states she went to bed and sometime later heard him fall down the stairs. She got up and found him at the bottom of the stairs, he died from his injuries, accidental death.

An inquest was held at Bootle on the death of James FLYNN, aged 50, a coalheaver, who died with the effects of injuries on his head, sustained by falling down a flight of stairs. It was stated on Christmas Day, deceased drank a mixture of beer and whiskey, accidental death.

Mr BRIGHOUSE, held an inquest at Bootle on the death of, Robert ROBERTS, aged 43, 2nd mate on the steamer BENEDICK, and who lived at Bristol. Deceased was found lying at the bottom of the Langton Dock unconscious, and was taken to the Bootle Hospital, on coming round he informed Det GAUNT that he was about to go on the gangway but slipped and rolled to the bottom of the dock, a distance of 40ft, accidental death.

A verdict of suicide while temporary insane was returned at Liverpool by the Coroner's Jury on Saturday while investigating the death of Colonel Robert DE GEIMAN, Russian Consul at Liverpool, who died on Thursday last, from self-inflicted dagger wounds at his residence, Devonshire Rd, Princes Park.

Evidence showed that for 2yrs the deceased had suffered from Asthma and had been very despondent at times. His remains at noon on Monday were conveyed to the Greek Church, Princes Rd, where a funeral service was held.

On Thursday just before noon William HEATON, aged 72 of Alton Rd, Birkenhead met with a fatal accident in James St. He appeared to have fallen down some steps. The horse ambulance was telephoned and he was taken immediately to the Northern Hospital, where it was ascertained that life was extinct. Mr HEATON belonged to the Society of Friends and had a large circle of friends in Liverpool and Birkenhead.

The death of Mr Eugene GOOSSENS will be received with profound regret and deep loss. The melancholy event happened on Saturday last at the residence of Dr BLIGH, his intimate friend and admirer. For some months past Mr GOOSSENS, aged 64, had been in rather poor health, which is supposed to have originated from a chill contracted during a visit to Lourdes, wither the musician, a devoted catholic as he was, made a pilgrimage each year.

He was however able to pursue his tutorial work at Liverpool and only a fortnight ago organised a concert at St Helens for the struggling catholic missions in the town. He retired on Saturday night in reasonable heath, but on Sunday morning, was found by Dr BLIGH in a collapsed state in bed. It was evident there had been a seizure, with effusion of blood to the brain. Despite the strenuous efforts of Dr BLIGH, he never rallied.

His only son Mr Eugene CROOSSENS Jnr [musical directory of the Carl Rosa Opera Co] happened to be spending his Christmas vacation in Liverpool and was present during his father's last hours.

The death is announced of Mr Samuel SMITH ex M.P of Flintshire, social performer and philanthropist which occurred on Friday last week in Calcutta, where he had recently arrived to make another tour, his 3rd or 4th to India. The sad news was conveyed to a principal of his old firm, Messers SMITH, EDWARDS and Co, Chapel St. He was 70yrs old and death was said to be due to heart failure.

The telegram was delayed and the death and interment at the Scotch Cemetery had already taken place.

He left Liverpool a few weeks ago with Mr William JONES M.P, for India. In 1854 Mr SMITH married Melville, daughter of Rev D. CHRISTISON of Bigg?, Lanarkshire, cousin of Sir Robert CHRISTI?. At one time physician to the late Queen Victoria.

Mr SMITH was M.P for Liverpool from 1882 to 1885 when he returned to Flintshire.

The death is announced of Colonel Herbert John ROBINSON late Commander of the 6th Lancashire Volunteer Artillery. Colonel ROBINSON was formerly a director of the firm, Henry TATE and Sons Ltd, Sugar Refiners of Liverpool and son-in-law to the founder of that firm, whose daughter Agnes he married.

The death of Mr Joseph BROWN of the firm of Messers James BROWN and Co, Shipbrokers etc Liverpool, took place at his residence, Derwent Rd, Stoneycroft, on Wednesday. The deceased was well known in the shipping and commercial circles.

Lawrence WALLING, a constable attached to the Hackney carriage dept, died of pneumonia this week at the Northern Hospital. For some years he was on duty in the Islington and St Anne St area, he was a terror to evil-doers, but much respected by the shop-keepers in the area. He wore the good-service medal of the Watch Committee, presented for his bravery in arresting a prisoner with a revolver who had shot two men, one being another constable. He leaves a wife and 5 young children.

The death has occurred of Mr Robert BLEZARD, aged 93, at Pool Park, Ruthin. The deceased who was a brewer in Liverpool was a J.P for Denbighshire and one of the most highly respected personages in the locality. The needy poor have lost a dear friend.

The funeral of Mr Joseph CONNOR, who died at Liscard, took place at Wallasey cemetery. He was one of the oldest member of the Journalist profession in Liverpool. The first portion of the service took place at St Marys Ch, Liscard by Rev J. B. SAYER and then at the graveside.

> Liverpool Mercury Jan 12th 1907

Deaths and Inquests

A rope runner James MC NALLY, Blackstone St, employed by the Dock Board fell in front of a travelling crane at the docks, which cut off his right foot, badly injured his left foot and caused a scalp wound. He was taken to the Stanley Hospital where he later died. At an inquest it was heard he was employed at the new work on the No3 Canada Branch Dock. It was his duty to walk in front of a steam crane in order to see the track was kept clear, he was knocked down by the crane, accidental death

Alice RULE, aged 55, was conveyed to Stanley Hospital in a collapsed state where she died almost immediately from gas poisoning.

The death by suicide of Lydia LIVESLEY of Lochinvar St, Walton, aged 50, her husband a navvy, was subject of an inquiry at Liverpool Coroner,s court. Dr ROSS confirmed death was due to gas poisoning, suicide while temporary insane.

Inquest held at Warrington on the death of John REAY of Thewlis St, Warrington, Captain of the flat FAIRY, found dead in the hold of the steamer GEORGE moored alongside the quay of Messers CROSFIELD'S Wharf. The coroner remarked on the considerable number of deaths caused by inattention to detail through hatches being left uncovered and unprotected, Accidental death [with a rider that it was due to neglect on the owners of the steamer GEORGE]

Liverpool coroner held an inquest on the death of John RISE, aged 11, killed by being struck by a piece of rock being flung into the air by blasting operations on the site of the new Council Schools, Northumberland St, accidental death

At Padgate near Warrington on Wednesday afternoon, a little boy, Thomas TURNER, aged 7 of Fearnhead, was running across the road at playtime when a milk-float passed and knocked him down, striking him on the head, he died shortly afterwards.

Mr Walter BRAY, best known as the "old herbalist" aged 70, of Church St, Widnes, has passed away. Originally a chemical labourer who only received a meagre education in his schooldays, he became master of five languages, Latin, Greek, French, German and Hebrew. He also found time to devote to phrenology, theology, philosophy and botany. His personality and goodness of heart endeared him to many.

The interment of Miss Emily Margaret BRANCKER, 4th daughter of the late John BRANCKER, Greenbank, who died at the Shanty, Mossley Hill, aged 55, took place at Childwall churchyard after a service at Mossley Hill Church. The service, was, conducted by the Rev's G. HARFORD and J. BELL-COX. 20 girls and 20 boys from the Bluecoat Hospital attended in the company of Mr Arthur MERCER, Headmaster and Miss WISMELL, Matron.

We regret to announce the death of Mr Joseph BEAUSHIRE, aged 74, one of Liverpool's prominent merchants. He had been under surgical treatment at London and having made a good recovery went to Brighton to recuperate. There he caught a chill, which ended fatally and he died on Wednesday morning. He was the 2nd son of Mr Robert BEAUSHIRE a former cashier of the Royal Insurance Co, the deceased was Liverpool born and bred and resided at Noctorum. He leaves a widow and 9 grown up sons and daughters.

The interment of Mr Joseph MOLYNEUX, Clonlee, Blundellsands, took place at Longmoor Lane cemetery in the presence of a large number of friends. The deceased a native of Newborough, near Ormskirk, took part in the building of St George's Hall and many other public structures in Liverpool. He was the founder of the Kirkdale Conservative club.

A funeral which took place at Preston excited much interest, the body of tramway employee, George Herbert HARRIS of 25 Ottway St, being conveyed to the cemetery in an electric tramcar, another car being used to convey the mourners and fellow workers.

A man found dead in St Philip's churchyard Salford was identified as John William LOWE, aged 29, carter, Pottery Lane, Wigan. A 26, chamber revolver was by his side, and death was due to a bullet wound to the head. LOWE underwent an operation during the South African War, which he believed was unsuccessful. After drawing money from the bank he left home.

Liverpool Mercury 19th Jan 1907

Deaths and Inquests

The death of Frank G. NICHOLS a well, known Liverpool produce broker is announced.

We regret to announce the death of Mr George WOODS of the firm Messers George WOODS and Sons, contractors, Stanley Rd, Bootle.

By the demise of Miss Catherine Scott KNIGHT, Superintendent of the South Corporation Day Industrial School, the Liverpool Education Committee has lost an official of 30yrs service.

The death is announced at Southport of Jesse BANISTER, head of the firm of Banister Bros and Co, Cotton manufacturers, Blackburn, Ribchester and Darwen. Mr BANISTER was connected with the trade all his life having started in the mill aged 7yrs, he was also an ardent Liberal and Wesleyan.

At Trinity Church, Wavertree the interment took place of Mr James Lasbury SHARPNELL, who for many years resided at, 7 Edge Lane and was the last surviving partner of the Liverpool firm of oil merchants Messers J and H. SHARPNELL and Co.

On Wednesday at Smithdown Rd, cemetery the remains of Mrs Katherine LOVELL, widow of the late John LOVELL, for many years editor of the Liverpool Mercury, were laid to rest in the grave in which the body of her husband, has for 17yrs reposed. Mrs LOVELL was 74, her death took place on Sunday at her daughters residence, Mrs WILD, 64 Bedford St, where she had resided for the latter part of her life. The service, was conducted by Rev A. F. THORNHILL at St Michaels-in-the-Hamlet and the chief mourners were, Mr J. N. LOVELL, Mr Harry LOVELL sons, Mr John WILD son-in-law, Mr Lovell WILD grandson, Mr Albert E. LOVELL brother-in-law and Sir Edward RUSSELL who could not be present sent his carriage.

The late Mr William GAMBLE. J.P

Mr William GAMBLE. J.P, of Briars Hey, Rainhill, 2nd son of Sir David GAMBLE. Bart. K.C.B, died very suddenly on Tuesday morning at his residence. He was in his usual health on Monday and attended the meeting of the Lancashire County Council at Preston. He was found dead on the floor of his dressing room by his daughter. For a long time he was under the impression that his heart was affected and under the advise of Dr MASON of St Helens, he consulted several eminent physicians and it was hoped his treatment would result in some improvement. He continued to attend his honorary duties.

Mrs and Miss GAMBLE are terribly upset and one sad circumstance is the fact that arrangements had been made for Miss GAMBLE'S marriage at St George's, Hanover Square, London, on Wednesday next. Mr GAMBLE was 54 and a J.P for St Helens and he took part in the affairs of churches, the Y.M.C.A and was chairman of St Helens Hospital. In April 1877 he married Miss Eleanor Eliza KER of Birkenhead and leaves a widow and a daughter, Miss Dorothy Ethel GAMBLE.

For many years he resided at Haresfinch House, St Helens, his whole life was devoted to service of the poor, the church and public affairs and as chairman of St Helens Hospital for the last 10yrs he was practically responsible for the hospital recently more than doubling its size at a cost of 22,000

Liverpool Coroner Mr SIMPSON held inquests on:-

Death of Elizabeth DOBSON, aged 55, the wife of Robert DOBSON, Post Office, Telegraphist of Ramillies Rd. Husband said he left her asleep when he left the house, when he returned for dinner she was not in. He later had to identify his wife’s body at the mortuary at the Princes Dock. She was found dead on the sofa in a house in Bagot St, death due to natural causes, accelerated by drink.

Death of Ann WALSH, aged 50, the wife of a labourer of Whitley St, on the 6th inst she was knocked down by an electric tramcar in Great Howard St and died later in the David Lewis Hospital. Matthew DONNELLY, Tram driver did everything in his power to stop the tram, accidental death

Eliza Jane STAMPER, aged 45, while engaged in cleaning windows in Bloom St, fell into the thoroughfare and sustained such injuries that she died shortly afterwards.

William HAYES, aged 41, was found lying in the road by Clatterbridge Workhouse. He appeared in great pain and complained he had been knocked down by a wagon. He died before a doctor arrived. There was no obvious injuries on his body. He leaves a wife and 6 children.

It was stated by the coroner at an inquest in Garstang on Lancelot STIRZAKER, 12wk old son of James and Grace STIRZAKER, who was found overlaid, that 1,500 children are killed every year through sleeping with their parents.

A coroners inquest was held at Chorley on William IDDON, Collier, IDDON borrowed a muzzle-loading gun and went with Thomas HOLT on a farm at Heath Charnock, IDDON killed a hare and HOLT reloaded the gun. IDDON then advanced into another field and HOLT followed with the gun extended. He was caught by a bough and when releasing himself the gun discharged and IDDON was killed. HOLT first said IDDON had shot himself then changed his story., Death by misadventure, HOLT remanded for feloniously killing IDDON

Inquests held at Leigh on Ruth Alice SMITH, aged 18mths, colliers daughter who died through eating chocolate and cocoanut sweets

On Joseph BUCKLEY, aged 56 of Smithy St, who died in Leigh Infirmary, he was hooked on a waggon at Fletcher's Basin and was crushed between the waggons.

Liverpool Mercury Jan 26th, 1907

Deaths and Inquests

Inquest held by Mr SAMPSON, Liverpool Coroner on the body of D. SULLIVAN aged 48 to 50yrs, found dead in a lodging-house in Islington as a result of a revolver wound. Death was due to perforation of the heart, lungs and stomach due to a pistol shot. Coroner advised the jury to record an open verdict due to the circumstances, this was done.

Inquest held by Mr SAMPSON, Liverpool Coroner on the body of John RAWLINSON, Lathom St, a horse shunter at Great Howard St Goods Station. A horse the second in a team-chain launched and struck the deceased, knocking him down. His legs trapped in the metal and two wagons passed over them. He died in the Northern Hospital, accidental death.

An inquest was held at Bootle on the body of a 9mths old girl, the daughter of a cotton warehouseman, named EVANS, of Ursula St, Bootle. The child was left for a few minutes alone in the kitchen with her two year old brother. An enamel kettle was on the fender, the boy decided to give his sister a drink and placed the spout of the kettle in her mouth, the boiling water spilled over her body and scalded her, accidental death

Poisoned by gas at Widnes

Inquest held at Widnes Accident Hospital on the death of James HANKINSON, aged 61, of Pear St, who was found dead in the drying-room of Widnes Foundry. Mrs HANKINSON repeated her evidence that her husband had been gassed before, Joseph DILHOOLEY, George WEBB and James DICKSON gave evidence, Death by poisoned gas, working conditions unsatisfactory

William LAWRENSON of Prescot made a claim at St Helens County Court for compensation on the death of his son Joseph LAWRENSON, on Oct 6th 1906, at the Holt Lane Stone Companys Quarry, near Prescot. A large stone being lifted by a crane fell and hit the deceased on the head, killing him. Father claimed 120-16s, on the grounds he was partly dependent on his son, he was awarded 75-8s.

The death took place on Wednesday at St Annes-on-Sea of Rev Charles HEATH of heart failure, he was 85yrs old and had been married three times. He leaves a widow and a grown up family, one son is a clergyman in America, another in business in Manchester.

Dr William PREES who had been in the service of the West Derby Guardians as Medical Officer for nearly 30yrs, died suddenly on Tuesday morning from heart failure while attending to a patient in the Union Office, Brougham Terrace.

We regret to announce the death of Sir Francis EVANS Bart. K.C.M.G, at his London residence, 40 Grosvenor Place. SW. He was the son of William EVANS, a Manchester merchant and was born in 1840. After being educated in Manchester, Germany and Manchester New College, London, he studied engineering under Sir James BRUNTEES, afterwards he adopted the business of banker. He was created Baronet in 1902

Death of an athlete

Mr J. C. SAMUELS of the Crofters Arms, Wigan, died on Saturday. He was a prominent athlete 20yrs ago and one of the best sprinters of the day, including members of the Manhatten Club. He also was a well known footballer playing for Wigan and Aspull.

The funeral of Mr Edmund TAYLOR took place at Flaybrick Hill cemetery, Birkenhead, a memorial service was held at St Stephens Prenton.

The remains of the late Canon William FIELDEN, Rector of Rolleston, near Burton-on-Trent and for many years up to 1894, vicar of Knowsley, were laid to rest in the family vault at Rolleston churchyard, The oak coffin bore the inscription, "William Leyland FIELDEN, Died January 16th 1907, aged 81" Upon it was laid, the deceased hood, chaplain's scarf, and college cap, surmounted by a cross of violets.

Liverpool Mercury, Feb 2nd 1907

Deaths and inquests

Mr John G. TWENTYMAN who had been a member of the Liverpool Cotton Association for 30yrs, has died after a short illness.

The death of Mr Thomas Henry BABINGTON took place at his residence, Glenmoriston, Eastham. At the Birkenhead County Magistrates Court the chairman Mr T. Russell LEE referred to the death of Mr BABINGTON, by which he said he had lost a colleague and a friend.

The funeral of Mr Evelyn John HAZLEWOODE, for nearly 20yrs connected with the reading and telephone departments of the Liverpool Daily Post, Mercury and Echo, took place at West Derby cemetery. Many of his old comrades were present, wreaths were sent by staff of the Echo, Daily Post , Mercury and Echo companionships.

Mr John DICKENSON [Messer's HILL, DICKENSON and Co, solicitors] a leading authority in marine and international law, died suddenly as he was about to leave his office in Water St on Monday.

An inquest was held by the Liverpool coroner on Saturday.

On the death of Frederick PLINSTON, a young fellow, a plumber of Appleton, who was found mortally wounded on a Warrington to Liverpool train on its arrival to Edge Hill station. Two letters were read which were found on his person, one which showed he deliberately intended to take his life by procuring a rifle from the volunteer headquarters to which he was attached - verdict Felo de se.

There lately passed away at Seaforth a fine old soldier, Thomas WILKINS of the 9th Lancers. Joining the 17th Lancers in 1857, he served the early part of his life in Ireland. He went to South Africa with his regiment in 1879 and was at the charge at Ulundi. On his return to England he volunteered for service in Afghanistan. He left the army in 1888 on a pension. His funeral took place on Sunday with semi-military honours, the RFA under Corpl BOSTON acted as bearers and the Union Jack covered the veterans remains.

Alfred BIRCH of East Rd, Birkdale, while working in Bury Rd, had a seizure, fell down, and expired almost immediately.

Thomas ASPINALL, aged 17, a drawer of 375 Warrington Rd, Abram, has died at the Wigan infirmary as the result of being crushed severely between two tubs.

Deaths from exposure

John NELSON, aged 73, Whittle Hill, nr Preston, went missing from his home on Tuesday and was found insensible on a road leading to Broughton, he died without regaining consciousness.

Annie CHAMBERS, aged 48, of Banner Cross, Sheffield was found on Whitwell Common Derbyshire on Tuesday.

An Inquiry was held by Mr BRIGHOUSE at Higher Ince, nr Wigan on the death of Mary HOOTON, aged 56, a widow who was found lying at the bottom of the stairs unconscious and bleeding from a head wound. A bucket of coal was found at the top of the stairs and there was evidence she had lost her footing - accidental death.

One of the smallest adults died last week-end at the North Staffordshire Infirmary. John William HOLLINS, aged 26, stood only 3ft 4ins high. Some years ago BARNUM and BAILEY offered to pay his relatives £250 to allow him to be exhibited. This offer was refused. His parents and six brothers and sisters are of normal build. For some time he had been living with Tom WILKES of Stoke-on-Trent, the old Aston Villa and Stoke goalkeeper, HOLLIN'S head just reached WILKIE'S trouser pockets.

Liverpool Mercury, Feb 9th, 1907

Death of Sir Thomas THRELFALL

Thomas THRELFALL died on Sunday at his residence, Hyde Park, Terrace, London, after a short illness, the result of a chill caught in Liverpool, where he had gone to preside over a meeting of the Threlfall's Brewery Co, of the board, of which he was chairman. Mr THRELFALL was the eldest son of Mr John Mayor THRELFALL, of Salford and Liverpool, and was born in Liverpool on Dec 31st 1842. He was educated at a private school and then Trinity College, Cambridge, and was called to the Bar by the Inner Temple in 1868, when he joined the Northern Circuit. In the musical world and among musicians he was widely known. In 1886 he joined the Committee of Management for the Royal College of Music and became chairman 2yrs later. As a director of the Arts Club he was popular and will be sadly missed. He married in 1872, a daughter of the late James Tennant CAIRD, engineer and shipbuilder of Greenock.

Death of George ATKIN

Amid every manifestation of regret the body of George ATKIN. J.P, of Egerton Park, Rock Ferry, who died on Saturday in his 85th year, was laid to rest on Tuesday afternoon in Bebington Cemetery. The vast concourse of mourners was an eloquent tribute to the affection and esteem to which the deceased had been held, all classes joining the last sad ceremony at the graveside. Prior to the interment a service was held at Highfield Congregational Ch, conducted by Rev Luke BEAUMONT and the Rev J. KNOX [Tranmere Congregational Ch].

The chief mourners were, Mrs ATKIN [Widow], Messers Hope and P. W. ATKIN [Sons], Mr NICHOLS, Miss ATKIN, Mrs JACKSON, Mr W. JACKSON, Mrs H. T. ATKIN, Mrs P. W. ATKIN, Miss ATKIN, Emily, Sylvia, Helen, Grace, Keyser and Dawson ATKIN and Pamela JACKSON Grandaughters. Mr W. H. LEVER. M.P, Sir Charles PETRIE and a great company of local men.

The death took place on Saturday afternoon at his residence, Plas Coch, Anglesey of Col Sir Charles Hughes HUNTER Bart.

Mr Francis Alexander HAMILTON who had been a magistrate for Liverpool since 1853, died at his residence in London, aged 93.

On Tuesday night Mr William CAPE, a retired Liverpool Butcher, aged 75, was found dead in bed at his residence, Fern Bank, Pilch Lane, Roby. Dr WOOD was of the opinion that death was due to heart failure.

The funeral of Capt Alfred LANCASTER, late of the Harrison Line, GLADIATOR, took place at Anfield Cemetery. The deceased was 40yrs connected with the Harrison Line Steamers, he had been ailing for about 6mths and died on Saturday last at his residence in St Albans.

At Seacombe Margaret MC CANN, aged 50, died in Liscard Central Hospital as the result of shocking burns. The deceased slept on a couch at 136 Wheatland Lane, other occupants in the house aroused by her screams found her enveloped in flames.

An inquest was held at Liverpool on the body of Edward BRADSHAW, aged 11, son of Thomas BRADSHAW, a carter. The boy was a pupil at St Peter's School, Sackville St. While going down stairs a boy slipped, BRADSHAW fell on top of him and another scholar fell over both. BRADSHAW was taken to the Royal Infirmary where an operation was performed, but, he died - accidental death.

An old woman named Elizabeth HULTON of Sun St, Birkenhead was found dead in her bedroom in distressing circumstances. On retiring to her room she dropped a lighted Match on her bed clothing which quickly ignited and set fire to her clothing. Neither her cries or the struggles of the woman were heard. She was found burned in a shocking manner and had been dead for some time.

Margaret GIBSON, aged 24, of Greenfield Rd, Liscard, was drowned on Sunday in a pit off Mill Lane. The deceased visited the pit [13ft deep] with her two brothers to slide on the ice. Without warning the ice she was standing on gave way and she was immersed in the water. Only a short time elapsed before she was recovered and a medical man at the scene pronounced, life extinct - accidental death

An inquiry was held by Mr BRIGHOUSE at the Britannia Inn, Abram, nr Wigan on John TARPY, aged 40, dataller employed at the Maypole Colliery Abram. Deceased and another dataller FLANNERY were working together in the Wigan Four Foot mine, at 1am on Saturday. FLANNERY working near the deceased heard him shout and on reaching him saw a large stone weighing several tons had fell from the roof on to the deceased. It took quite some time to release the body - accidental death

An inquest was held at Liverpool before Mr SAMPSON on the death of William FINNEY, a married man, aged 26, of Beaconsfield St, Prescot, who was proceeding on Saturday last on Prescot Rd on a bicycle from Liverpool. He was a short distance behind an electric-car when a van crossed the road. The cyclist rode around the horse's head when he realised another electric-car was approaching. He endeavoured to avoid the collision but he struck the car and fell into the road. He was conveyed to the Royal Infirmary where he expired - accidental death.

Mr BRIGHOUSE held an inquest at Bootle on the death of a dock labourer named Hugh William HUGHES, aged 28. The LAKE CHAMPLAIN of the Canadian Pacific Railway Co was being unloaded at the Alexandra Dock and the deceased with others was working on the steamer. Deal planks were being hoisted up the hatch by slings, when one of the planks swung round and hit the deceased, knocking him down the hold. There was snow and ice between the planks which probably caused the deal to slide - accidental death.

Shortly before 9am on Tuesday a labourer, James FORDHAM, aged 57, of Woodbine Grove, West Derby Rd, Liverpool, engaged by Messers C. KENDALL and Co, was working on the top of the tower of St Thomases Ch, Park Lane, Liverpool, when he slipped and fell to the ground [50ft]. The ambulance from the Southern Hospital was passing at the time and he was removed to that institution with all possible speed, on arrival he was pronounced extinct.

Mr SAMPSON held an inquest on the death of William Patrick CUNLIFFE, aged 46, of Elmswood Rd, Birkenhead, an ironworker, engaged at the Dock Board's new offices at Georges Pierhead. Deceased met his death on Saturday at James St, Station when he hurried onto a platform as a train was leaving and attempted to get into a carriage although the gates were closed. He got one foot on the step of the coach, and swerved round and fell, his legs getting between the rear of the coach and the platform. He was removed to the Royal Infirmary and death ensued from syncope, The Doctor said deceased mist have received internal injuries - accidental death.

At the Liverpool Police courts before stipendiary magistrate Mr W. J. STWART, Michael Henry MC DONOUGH, aged 28, a labourer, was charged with the wilful murder of his 5mth old daughter Elizabeth. A quarrel arose between the prisoner and his wife, after angry words they commenced to throw crockery at each other. The woman was carrying the child and one of the missiles, a jockey bar, struck the baby on the head. The infant was taken to the East Dispensary, where Dr CRAMPTON pronounced life extinct.

Liverpool Mercury, Aug 17th 1907

Deaths and inquests

Last week a labourer Robert GRAHAM of Buckingham St, mysteriously disappeared whilst working on the steamer HIGHLANDER in the Sandon Half-tide Dock. On Sunday evening a Police constable found his body floating in the dock.

An old man William CALVALEY of Craven St, was proceeding to is work as a Corporation watchman before 6am on Wednesday, when he was suddenly taken ill on the corner of Copperas Hill and Hilbre St and died.

Mr A. INGLIS, Dept coroner conducted an inquiry into the death of Rose RILEY, aged 11, daughter of a carter of Blundell St. The child was lifting a kettle off the kitchen fire when her clothes caught fire and she was severely burned and died in the Royal Southern Hospital, accidental death returned.

On Wednesday the East Cumberland Coroner held an inquest at Plumpton near Penrith, on the body of William IVINSON, aged 50, whose death occurred on Tuesday afternoon. He was for a long time in the Liverpool City Police force, and owing to the breakdown of his health was recently given a pension. IVINSON went on to the railway near the station and threw himself in front of an engine.

The late Ex-superintendent R. H. GRETNEY

The funeral took place at Anfield Park cemetery of the late Mr Robert Henry GRETNEY ex-police Supt. Mr GRETNEY who, retired from the police force 13yrs ago was a native of the I.O.M having been born at Laxey 75yrs ago, where as a boy he worked in the mines. He came to Liverpool and joined the police force in 1854 as a constable and soon received promotion, For some years he acted as confidential clerk to Major GREIG. The service was conducted by the Rev J. D. STEWART. B.A, of St Brides Ch, Percy St.

At about 10.15 on Monday night two signalmen of the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway Co discovered the injured body of another signalman named Frank MORAN of Park St, Bootle, lying on the line at Bankhall, life was extinct. It is supposed MORAN was walking down the line to commence duty and was knocked down by an electric train from Aintree to Liverpool, travelling via Marsh Lane.

Death of a well known golfer

We regret to announce the death at Hindhead Surrey of Mr George Frederick PEARSON of Westland House, Birkdale. He had been ailing for some time and had gone to the South of England in the hope of restoring his health, but, unfortunately his illness terminated fatally. His demise is regretted by a large circle of friends, including members of the golf fraternity, he was well known on the links and twice Captain of Birkdale Golf Club. Also as a member of the Royal Liverpool and Ormskirk clubs.

The interment of Dr Robert Samuels ARCHER. M.D, M.C.B, Trinity College Dublin, took place at Anfield Park cemetery in the presence of a large number of sorrowing, relatives, colleagues and friends. For over 30yrs he had been associated with the West Derby Guardians, as well as honorary assisting physician at Netherfield Rd, Fever Hospital, and physician at Priory Rd, Fever Hospital and for over 16yrs, medical officer of the Liverpool Post Office [northern division].

Inquests held at Warrington Police Station

On Hilda DUCKWORTH, aged 5, daughter of George John DUCKWORTH, general labourer, Napier St. The deceased with some companions was playing in a loft when she ran out and fell down from the top of some steps and fractured her skull - accidental death recorded.

By Mr Brighouse on John BALL, aged 22, general labourer found drowned in the Old Quay Canal, Stockton Heath on Sunday morning. Deceased father said his son had lived in Gaskell St for some time, but, for the last few days was living with him, he last saw him alive on Tuesday morning, no information on how he ended up in the canal - open verdict

Mrs PICKLES who has just died at Hurstwood, nr Burnley, at the age of 85, lived in the same house, Ivy Cottage, for 60 yrs.


Copyright 2002 / To date