Liverpool Mercury, Jan 2nd, 1900

A child aged 5yrs named HOWARD, son of J. H. HOWARD was burnt to death through the fire which occurred soon after midnight in the house 34 Melville Place, Oxford St. An inquest will be held today.

Thomas MARSDEN, aged about, 40, caretaker of the suite of offices at 5 Tithbarn St, who occupies the building during the night did not open the doors yesterday morning, and on an entrance being effected he was found in a kneeling position by his bedside quite dead. He had lately been in poor health and under medical treatment.

The death of Mr Edward ORMESHER, licensee of the Red Lion Hotel, Bridge St, St Helens, one of the oldest and well known houses in the town, occasioned general regret in St Helens yesterday. Mr ORMESHER was formerly a responsible official in the St Helens Collieries and after an occupancy of the Ring o' Bells in Westfield St he removed to the Red Lion Hotel about 10yrs ago. He was secretary of the St Helens, Widnes and District Licensed Victuallers Association. He had been under the care of Dr REID and Drs TWYFORD, REID and MASSON, for the last 3wks and died at about 11pm on Sunday. He was 44 and leaves a widow and six children.

Yesterday Mr BRIGHOUSE county coroner, held an inquest at the Ram's Head, Hotel, Haydock on the body of John TULLY, aged 31, collier of 48 Lyme St, Haydock, who died on Thursday last, after being found unconscious in Clarence St, Earlestown. Deceased was at Earlestown under the influence of drink and on Wednesday morning last was found lying unconscious in Clarence St, Earlestown. He had a bad wound on his head and after being removed home never regained consciousness. A post mortem by Dr HEYWARD and Dr HARRISON showed death resulted from collapse, due to exposure, accelerated by alcohol and loss of blood. Verdict, "Accidental death."

Yesterday at the Wellington Hotel, Garston, Mr BRIGHOUSE held an inquest on the remains of John BRITTAIN, who lived at Aigburth. About 12mths ago the family was broken up, and the deceased a widower, spent his time holding horses and so on outside the Traveller's Rest Hotel, Aigburth Vale. He was very much addicted to drink and became very dirty in his habits, so that his son could not keep him in his house, though the latter did his best to reclaim him from his habits of intoxication. On the night of the 27th December he was found very drunk outside the Traveller's Rest Hotel, Aigburth Vale. and was taken to the Garston Police Station, after Sergeant TOWNLEY had done his best at Aigburth Police Station to recover him. At Garston he was found in a very bad condition, special attention was paid to him, hot tea being administered to him and the heating apparatus being looked to in the cell in which he was confined. After recovering slightly in the night he was found in a state of collapse and died shortly after 8am next morning. Dr LITTLE, who was called to attend him said death was due to natural causes and the jury returned a verdict in accordance with this evidence.


Liverpool Mercury, Jan 3rd, 1900

Yesterday an inquest was held at Wigan into the circumstances attending the death of a brakesman named William John THOMPSON, of 7 Gladstone Rd, Garston. Early on Saturday morning THOMPSON accompanied an empty mineral train of 38 waggons, which, on arrival from Garston to Wigan, were shunted into Ryland Siding. It is surmised that THOMPSON was killed through being crushed by the engine as the driver of the engine found him lying in the rails between the engine and some waggons. Verdict, "Accidental death."

Death of a Warrington school master

The death is announced of Mr D. W. FINNEY, who for 35yrs was headmaster at Heathside School, Warrington. The deceased attended divine service at St Paul's Church on Sunday, when he seemed in the best of health, his demise came as a surprise to his many friends. 3mths Mr FINNEY retired from school life and was presented with a purse of gold and an illuminated address in recognition of his long and valued service. He was a member of the board of management of the Warrington Savings Bank, and also had several offices at St Paul's Church.

Yesterday morning at the Southport Borough Cemetery the funeral took place of Mr Herbert STEPHENSON J.P, barrister-at-law of Parkfield, Birkdale and The Oaks, Windermere. There was a full choral service at St Andrew's Church, principal mourners were, Mrs Herbert STEPHENSON [widow], Cyril STEPHENSON son, Alfred and Henry STEPHENSON, uncles, Mr KERSHAW, Manchester, Dr THOMAS, Mr J. GATY, Mrs RAIKES, Mrs J. DIXON, Mrs SNOW, Mr Joseph SAUL. The coffin was off polished oak with brass garniture, the breastplate bearing the inscription, "Herbert STEPHENSON, J.P, died 28th December 1890, aged 37yrs."

Death of a Cheshire Worthy - the death took place on Sunday morning at Lane Ends Farm, Gawsworth, Macclesfield of Mr John MOTTERSHEAD, aged 94, retired farmer, who occupied the unique distinction of being the head of five generations. Some months ago he came prominently before the public in consequence of the five generations being photographed and a copy sent to the Queen. Mr MOTTERSHEAD resided in Gawsworth for close upon 90yrs, and up to 2yrs ago was well able to perform the farm work, in fact in August 1897 he boasted he could trim a hedge better than any man in the district. He had 14 children the eldest daughter now 73, being in good health. He was well known in mid Cheshire where his descendants chiefly reside. A nephew with whom he resided is a pensioned sergeant of the Manchester police force.


Liverpool Mercury, Jan 10th, 1900

We regret to announce the death of Mr James GILL. F.R.A.S, principal of the Liverpool Nautical College. The deceased gentleman caught a chill a week ago and pneumonia supervened, he expired yesterday morning at his residence, 41 Rossett St, Great Crosby, aged 60, Mr GILL was the first principal of the college, which was established 8yrs ago, and had many warm friends. The interment will take place on Friday at Woolton Parish Church at 3pm.

Mr G. A. BILLINGTON of Liscard, for many years a deacon honorary treasurer, and an active worker at Byrom Hall Baptist Church Liverpool, who was spending a few weeks in America passed away on Friday last after an attack of typhoid fever, and was buried on Sunday at Savannah U.S.A. At the request of Mrs BILLINGTON a private memorial service attended by family and friends was held at "Clarence Lodge" Penkett Rd, Liscard on Monday last.

Yesterday the funeral took place at Flaybrick-hill Cemetery, Birkenhead of Mr Daniel TAYLOR, who died on Saturday at his residence 19 Kingsmead Rd, South. Though not known to the public at large Mr TAYLOR enjoyed the respect and esteem of a large circle of friends in Oxton and Claughton, and amongst business men in Liverpool. He carried on business in the Atlantic, Brunswick St as an engineer and machinery merchant, and he had also the agencies of M'LELLAN and Co rubber and asbestos manufacturers and that of the Oakbank Oil Company. The chief mourners were Messers R. H. M. TAYLOR and G. M'Lellan TAYLOR [sons] The Rev W. WATSON [officiating minister], Dr JOHNSTON, Messers C. T. MAIN, P M'LELLAN, J and T. BROWN, W. T. ROGERS, J. E. RAYNER, WISHART, BURT, A. B. GOWAN, G. GRAHAM, P M'GREGOR, COWLEY and LUND. There were a number of beautiful floral tributes from sympathetic friends.

The deaths are announced of two well known Liverpool merchants, Mr Henry Binnell HARRIS of the firm of Messers HARRIS and THOMSON cigar manufacturers, 32 Tarleton St died on Monday aged 73. The funeral service takes place tomorrow at Anfield Crematorium. Mr David MORRIS, a member of the firm of Messers MORRIS, GRIFFITH, and Co, oil merchants, 3 College Lane, died yesterday at his house, 72 Wadham Rd, Bootle, aged 45.

Suicides in Liverpool

The coroner for Liverpool, Mr T. E. SAMPSON, at his court in Dale St, yesterday, inquired into the circumstances of the death of John DELANY, aged 59, a dock labourer, who had lived with his son in Brook St, Liverpool. Two years ago the health of the deceased became impaired and his mental faculties were affected. Five months ago it was found necessary to have him removed to the insane ward at the Brownlow Hill, Workhouse. He was in course of a short time taken home again, but had a second time to be sent to the workhouse, where he was placed in the infirm ward. He was then quiet in his demeanour, and on the 1st inst went to bed as usual. About 4am the next morning he got out of bed and cut his throat with a knife, it was supposed he had taken to bed with him. Dr BENNETT one of the house surgeons at the workhouse was called and his injury attended to, but he died from its effects on Saturday. The jury found the deceased committed suicide whilst temporarily insane. A similar verdict was returned with regard to the death of James WILKINSON, aged 64, ship's carpenter who lived in Landseer Rd, Everton. Deceased owing to delicate health, was out of employment, which affected his mind, and when temporarily insane he poisoned himself by taking carbolic acid.

Yesterday at Flaybrick-hill Cemetery, Birkenhead the funeral took place of Mr William B. FREEMAN, who for 25yrs has been accountant at the Birkenhead Postoffice. Deceased who was 41, was the 2nd son of Rev Charles FREEMAN, and a regular attendant at St Catherine's Church, where he will be missed by the congregation. He succumbed to an attack of pleuro-pneumonia and leaves a widow and two children. The chief mourners included Charles and Frederick FREEMAN [brothers]. The indoor staff at the postoffice were represented at the graveside by Messers W. MANLEY [chief clerk] R. W. THOMPSON, F. C. EVANS, W. H. LATIMER, T. GRAHAM etc. About 50 postmen represented the outdoor staff and lined the entrance to the cemetery chapel.


Liverpool Mercury, Jan 11th, 1900

Sad fatality at the Bootle Dock

Mr S. Brighouse, county coroner, held an inquest last evening at the Bootle Police Buildings on the death of James TOKER, aged about 20, who was drowned in the North Hornby Dock. It appeared that the deceased whose address is not known was shipped on board the steamship Lake Ontario as a trimmer by a boarding house master last December. The steamer arrived in the dock in question on Tuesday morning and took up a berth alongside the steamship Lombardy, which was lying close to the quay. The deceased in a hurry to get ashore crossed from his own vessel to the Lombardy and then descended backwards a steep gangway used for cargo purposes. When nearing the quayside he missed his footing and fell into the dock, his body being subsequently recovered by means of grappling irons. Verdict, "Accidental death."

Suicide at Wavertree

Mr T. E. Sampson, city coroner, held an inquest yesterday at the police buildings Dale St into the circumstances attending the death of James M'NEIRY, aged 30, journeyman cooper, who resided in Carne St, Picton Rd, Wavertree. The deceased had been drinking heavily since Christmas and in consequence of this excess he was very ill being subject to frequent fits of depression and passion. He had been heard to remark that he was tired of his life and that he would "do away with himself" On Sunday 31st ult, he was greatly excited and chased his wife out of the house with a knife, threatening to kill her. In consequence of his violent conduct she left him and subsequently obtained a summons for assault, which was fixed for hearing tomorrow. He was discharged from his situation on Saturday last and as a result became very depressed, living alone in the house. On Tuesday a van driver named HARDING entered the house where M'NEIRY lived and found him dead, with a silk scarf round his neck attached to the rail of the bedstead, and life had been extinct for some time. Verdict, "Committed suicide whilst temporarily insane."


Liverpool Mercury, Jan 20th, 1900

Fatal accident on a transport ship - Yesterday morning Thomas CODE, aged 25, boilermaker's labourer of Harcourt St, was found lying dead at the bottom of the hold of the ss Monteagle in the process of being fitted out as transport in the Herculaneum Dock. It is supposed the deceased while working through the night, had fallen into the hold, the body was removed to the Northern Hospital.


Liverpool Mercury, Feb 26th, 1900

Burning fatality at St Helens

Yesterday Ann EDGAR, aged 7, who resided with her parents at 367 Fleet Lane, Parr, died in the Providence Hospital St Helens from the effects of burns received when she and other children had been picking cinders near Ashton's Green Colliery, and afterwards went to warm themselves at a fire used by workmen. The wind suddenly blew the flames outwards and the girl's clothing was ignited.

Scalding fatality at St Helens

On Saturday afternoon Mr BRIGHOUSE, county coroner, held an inquest at St Helens Town Hall on the body of Martha SEDDON, aged 3, daughter of John SEDDON, glassworker of 5 back Lane. On the previous Tuesday the child fell backwards and fell into a bucket of boiling water which had been placed on the floor. She was badly scalded and notwithstanding the attention of Dr MASON died on Thursday. Verdict, "Accidental death"

Fatal dose of Laudanum

At the Birkenhead Police Buildings on Saturday Mr A. F. COTTON, deputy coroner for Birkenhead held an inquest on the remains of Jane MOORE, who resided at 9 Bridge St. On Thursday afternoon Police-constable BIRCH was informed that the deceased had taken poison in a passage at the rear of Leicester St, she was taken by the officer to hospital, where it was found she was suffering from laudanum poisoning. In spite of medical attendance, the woman, who had stated she had taken an overdose of laudanum, succumbed. The deceased had been suffering from neuralgia and had taken the laudanum to ease the pain. Verdict, "Death from an overdose of laudanum."


Liverpool Mercury, March 19th, 1900

Suicide at Wigan

A collier named Alfred GREEN, aged 22, of Frederick St, Hindley, committed suicide under tragic circumstances on Saturday night. About 10pm he proceeded to Ashton to see a dressmaker, to whom he was engaged to be married. She was busy at the time and he asked her how long she would be before she finished. She replied 12 0' clock, Green replied, "I will be in heaven then." He went into the backyard and on returning gave her a bottle which had contained carbolic acid. He immediately fell on the floor and died in his sweetheart's arms before a doctor arrived. No cause is assigned for the rash act, although it is reported that GREEN had been discharged from the army as medically unfit for service.

The late Captain KERR

The remains of the late Captain Hugh KERR were on Saturday interred at Smithdown Rd, Cemetery, Toxteth Park in the presence of a large gathering of friends. The deceased had for over 20yrs been identified with the Warren Line of steamers as marine superintendent and was highly respected. Prior to interment a service was held at deceased's residence, St Alban's Rd, Bootle, conducted by the Rev A. B. BARKWAY. M.A, minister of the Union Presbyterian Church, Kirkdale, who also officiated at the graveside. The chief mourners where, Charles KERR, Hugh A. KERR and Thomas KERR [sons] James CROSBY [brother-in-law] James BUCHANAN and Hugh M'GEACHEN [nephews], Jos J. JAKEMAN, J. LEWIS, and John F. BUCHANAN [G. Warren and Co] John LYIN and John TAYLOR [Bury], Charles CRICHTON, J. M. THOMAS and Captain MATHIAS [Richards Mills and Co], Captain E. COLLINS [American line], Captain H. HEASLEY, [Mersey Docks and Harbour Board], Captain M'ADAM [Allan line] Captain J. EVANS [Richards Mills and Co] Captain INCH [W. Johnston and Co] R. A. CRAFTER [Mersey Docks and Harbour Board], W. TAYLOR, Thomas FALLOWS. J.P, J. W. KENWORTHY and W. A. WATERS [American line], R. FRASER [A and R. Brown] O. M. JOHNSON, F. A. J. POULSON [representing W. Poulson J.P], and A. BICKES.

At the cemetery were George H. WARREN, Gilbert S. GOODWIN, W. F. LAMBERT, John F. CRAWFORD, A. C. SHEPHERD, A. BLACK [Liverpool Temperance Union] A. ARMSTRONG [superintendent City Mission], Colonel J. GOFFEY, G. WILLIAMS [Parr's Bank Bootle], J. MARTIN [Allan line] J. DYKES [Lloyds Register of Shipping] C. JONES, Captain S. V. WALTERS [commodore Warren line], J. M. STROYAN, S. DALTON, R. G. WILLIAMS, R. H. HODGSON, W. LITCHFIELD, and J. S. SHILLINGSHAW [office staff] A. FINLAYSON, W. HENDRY, M. SCULLY, J. H. RATCLIFFE, W. GROSART, R. BUTTERWORTH, T. JOHN, A. TOWN DROW, S. R. WHITE, J. WILLIAMS, J. EUCOPO and W. ALLANSON [dock staff].

Captains, J. J. HARVEY, W. GLEIG, W. WHITEWAY, BIRD [Lamport and Holt], W. STEWART [Beaver line] G. G. WILSON, J. R. WALLANCE, J. CRAIG Snr, J. CRAIG Jnr, T. H. BURTON, Isaac WOOD, J. G. EVANS, J. V. HOPE, G. MILLER, G. CRAWFORD, W. PICKAN, W. J. SUTCLIFFE, W. BURTON Snr, W. BURTON Jnr [Burton and Co. Ltd], T. H. DERBYSHIRE [A. D. Golding and Co] T. BEWLEY, Q. KNEALE, W. R. RONALD, M. M. NICHOL, C. W. ELLAM, R. FERGUSON, W. CREBBIN, A. JOHNS [Alexandra Towing Co], J. S. SELLERS, T. SWIFT, J. W. JONES, J. WINDLE, T SUMMERS, R. HUGHES, T. OWEN, John CURWEN [R and J. Evans], J. K. WHITHALL [London Central Meat Co] J. M. DAVIES, J. GALLOWAY, T. REID etc funeral arrangements carried out by Messers John WAUGH and Sons.


Liverpool Mercury, March 29th, 1900

Fatality at Garston

Yesterday morning as several men were engaged in loading baulks of timber at the Creosoting Works Garston belonging to the London and North Western Railway Company, George SIMPSON a labourer, aged 26, of Shrewsbury Place was struck by on of the baulks knocked off a railway waggon and terribly crushed by the timber falling on his chest. He was taken to the surgery of Dr O'HAGAN but death ensued.

Funeral of a Garston Volunteer

The remains of Sergeant Tom DAVISON, 4th Battery Garston of the 6th L.V.A, were interred at Garston with full military honours. The coffin was covered with the Union Jack, the helmet of the deceased and a floral tribute from his comrades, was mounted on a gun-carriage and preceded through the village by the band of the corps, and the firing party under Sergeant Major HARRISON. The route was lined with spectators the deceased being well known and respected. The members of the 6th L.V.A, who attended were under the command of Capt E. W. TATE, the battery commander. The Rev T. OLIVER. D.D, and the Rev T. F. NICHOLAS. M.A, conducted the service.

Accidental death at Southport

Yesterday Mr BRIGHOUSE county coroner held an inquest at the Town Hall, Southport on the body of Frederick HOWARD, aged 47, furniture porter, of 31 Back Virginia St, who died at the Southport Infirmary on the 26th inst. On the 19th inst the deceased was with his lorry in Everton Rd, Birkdale, when his horse shied, and he got jammed between the shafts of the vehicle and a lamp post. He was badly hurt on the chest but subsequently was able to drive on. The next day he became so ill that he had to be removed to the Infirmary. Delirium tremens set in followed by pneumonia and he died on Monday, the 26th inst. Verdict "Accidental death."

Yesterday Mr BRIGHOUSE county coroner held an inquest at the Town Hall, Southport on the body of Edward CARR, aged 40, an oyster merchant, whose body was found hanging in his half-sister's stall in the Market Hall, Southport on Monday morning. The deceased assisted his half-sister Ada BURROUGHES in her business, but for some years he had been addicted to drink and was always more or less under the influence. He was last seen alive at 11.05pm on Saturday when he was sitting in a chair in the stall under the influence of drink. The body was discovered suspended by a rope in the stall at 8am on Monday. Deceased left a note, the concluding sentence of which was, "May God forgive broken hearted Eddy CARR. This happened at twelve o' clock." A verdict of "Suicide during temporary insanity."


Liverpool Mercury, May 10th, 1900

Strange drowning case at St Helens

Last night Mr S. BRIGHOUSE, county coroner, held an inquest at St Helens Town Hall on the body of Alfred BURROWS, of 5 Peel St, who was found drowned in the canal at Island's Brow on Monday afternoon. From the evidence it appeared that BURROWS was living apart from his wife who lives in the Hindley district. On Monday BURROWS and a man named WIGNALL had drink at various public houses. When they parted according to WIGNALL, BURROWS was not drunk but a little "bit forradish". BURROWS was afterwards seen sitting on the canal bank by two girls named WOODWARD and WOODS. He then seemed to be drunk, they saw him fall twice when he attempted to rise. They were walking away and heard a splash in the water, seeing BURROWS in the canal they ran for assistance, but life was extinct when the body was recovered. Dr O'KEEFE tried to restore animation, The jury returned a verdict of "Found drowned"

Fatal accident to a carter

Mr T. E.SAMPSON city coroner held an inquest yesterday on the body of William LLOYD, aged 50, of Morton St, a carter. On Monday the deceased was driving a lorry and a pair of horses along Pitt St, when he was seen to fall forward as if seized with a fit. He dropped on to the road in front of the lorry, the two wheels of which passed over him before the horses could be stopped. He was removed to the Northern Hospital, where it was found that in addition to internal injuries, he was suffering from fractures of both legs. He died on Tuesday. A verdict of "Accidental death" was returned by the jury.


Liverpool Mercury, May 19th, 1900

Strange death at St Helens

John BOHAN, aged 23, of 6 St Anne St, St Helens, died under remarkable circumstances on Thursday night. On Monday evening he was found lying in Liverpool St with his head and face cut and bleeding, and was removed to his home. On Tuesday Dr THOMPSON was called and afterwards Dr O'KEEFE was also summoned, BOHAN gradually sank, and expired as stated, apparently from concussion of the brain. It was stated he had been drinking heavily on Monday and while on his way home intoxicated was seen to fall in the street.

Yesterday afternoon at the Blackburne Arms, Garston, Mr BRIGHOUSE, County coroner, held an inquest on the body of Johan GANDERSON, aged 23, AB on the Norwegian barque Augustinae, who died at sea on the night of the 9th inst, from injuries sustained on the previous night. The evidence of the mate and crew members showed that while passing the Faroe Islands the deceased, during a gale went aloft to fasten a sail, and fell to the deck a distance of 60ft, alighting on his head. In reply to the coroner, the mate said they did not bury the body at sea as the relatives preferred that it should be interred on land, therefore they kept the body on board until they reached Garston Dock. Verdict, "Accidental death."

Sudden death at Birkenhead

The man who dropped dead in Shore Rd, Birkenhead on Thursday has been identified as John WILLIAMS, 7 Cambria St, Liverpool. A post mortem showed death was due to heart disease, coroner's jury returned a verdict accordingly

Funeral of Dock Board Official

The funeral of Mr Thomas MURRAY, late piermaster and for 29yrs in the employ of the Mersey Docks and Harbour Board took place yesterday at Smithdown Rd, Cemetery in the presence of a large number of Dock Board officials and other friends. The chief mourners, Mrs MURRAY, [widow], Miss A. MURRAY [adopted daughter], Mr G. MURRAY [brother], Misses MURRAY [nieces], Mr T. MURRAY [nephew], Mrs JOYCE [sister-in-law], Mr WILLIAM, and James WHITWORTH, Mrs GREEN, Mr and Mrs McGILL, Miss P. LEAR, Mr and Mrs LOWRY.

The remains of the Rev John WARNOCK, M.A, B.D, late pastor of St John's Presbyterian Church, Warrington, will be interred in the family vault at Whitechurch, Ireland today.


Liverpool Mercury, Aug 21st, 1900

Death of an incubator baby

Inquest and verdict

An inquest was held at Blackpool on the incubator baby, one of the triplet's of a joiner's wife, who let two of them out at 5s weekly, with the promise of nurses, medical attendance, and something handsome at the end of the season. The babies were in three incubators at the Winter Gardens, and in the same room the nurse slept, did the washing, and cooking for herself and the children. The latter were fed on condensed milk and barley water. There were no means of her calling in a doctor at night. A verdict of, "Death from natural causes" was returned, with the recommendation that better night and sanitary arrangements be made.


Manchester Times, Dec 14th, 1900

At Wigan on Sunday night Richard BARROW, aged 55, boatman, Wittle, Chorley, was drowned in the Leeds Liverpool Canal at Abram, Wigan. BARROW whose eyesight was defective, had walked into a lock and drowned.



Cardiff Times 23 February 1901


The Coroner's inquiry into the electric wire fatality at .Liverpool on the 4th inst, was resumed on Wednesday, a. number of outside corporations being legally represented and numerous electrical experts being present. The two men killed were Thomas Hankey aged 58, carter, and David Singleton aged 40 , butchers manager. The Deputy Town Clerk gave details of the trolley tramway system adopted by the Corporation, and said to prevent fallen telephone or telegraph wires coming in contact with the tramway wires guard strip protectors wore adopted. The route on which the accident happened had received sanction of the Board of Trade only on .January 21st this year.

Evidence was given that on the night of the accident a heavy snow. storm was raging, in the midst of which a bunch of forty or fifty telephone wires fell across the tramway wires in Pembroke Place. The deceased Hankey was passing with his cart at the time, and one of the broken wires enveloped his horse, killing it and setting the harness on fire. Hankey ran to the assistance of the animal, and was also caught by the wire, and fell to the ground writhing and screaming for help, which nobody could render, and before being released he was dead. During the whole time he lay on the ground flashes of electricity were playing about his body. A cab horse also dropped dead within three yards of the spot, but the driver escaped. The man Singleton was described as lying on the ground with a wire round his neck and the end under his arm. His body was quivering and fire flashing from it. All the time he was screaming For God's sake, take it away, but though various attempts were made by police and others to help him, it was quite half an hour before the wire was removed. He had been then dead ten minutes. There was a patch of blood where he was lying. Several of the rescuers were knocked down with the shocks received by touching the men's bodies.

Dr. Arkle stated that when Singleton's body was brought to the infirmary his watch was still going. The copper coins in his pocket had a black deposit on them, but a silver coin was not affected. There were numerous marks of burning on the body, but death was due to shock from the electric current. An extraordinary feature was that a box of marches in the pocket of the deceased was unaffected.

Another doctor described the burns on the body of Hankey, whose death was also caused by electric shock. Professor Paull spoke of the scientific nature of the shock sustained by the deceased men. He said the patients who recovered had probably the same shock, but not so prolonged. It the man had not struggled so much the current would have remained unbroken, and would not have been so harmful to intermittent contact caused by the victims rolling about the snow and salt on the street would make the electric shock more severe.

The evidence pointed to the fact that the falling telephone wires got electrically charged by contact with the trolley wires, which coiled round deceased his writhing in pain caused repeated shocks. His wet clothing and skin, which were saturated with slush from the salt sprinkled pavement after the snowstorm, would intensify the power of the electricity. The recurrence of such accidents would be prevented by all telephone wires running under ground, and when they broke the use of rubber gloves or a thickness of dry cloth would render live wires harmless. After contact with the electric current to struggle with the wires was the worst thing that could be done. As to the rival claims of guard wires and wooden guard strips attached to and over trolley wires 2 inch thick there were differences of opinion. The more wires there were about the greater the risks. The telephone wires broke owing to the weight of snow on them and half gale of wind prevailing.

The inquiry was adjourned.

The electric wire inquest was resumed on Thursday by the Liverpool Coroner. Further expert evidence was given to show that the insulators remained intact on the pole after the wires fell. One witness was of opinion that if the wooden guards bad been perfectly in order the broken wire would not have come into contact with the trolley wire.

Mr Spagnoletti, Institute of Electrical Engineers, said he had tested the fallen wire, and it was quite up to gauge. The abnormal weather conditions on the night of the accident rendered the wire liable to snap. A span of 120 yards of wire was not a particularly long span, but shorter ones were advisable.

Mr Bellamy, manager of the Liverpool Tramways ,said this was the first accident through electricity since their inauguration though a hundred million passengers had been carried. Had the accident happened in dry weather it was most unlikely fatal consequences would have ensued, as 500 volts was not an excessive shock.

The Corporation electrical engineer said the guards used on the trolley wires dealt satisfactorily with the ordinary falling wire, but not with the tangle wire. Mr Warren, electrical expert, said the accident was caused entirely through insufficient insulators on the trolley wires. The guards were worse than no insulators at all. Other experts agreed. The 500 volts electricity should not kill without considerable duration of contact, Verdict, " Death from electric shock." The jury recommended a shorter span for overhead wire.


2010 All Rights Reserved