Deaths and Inquests 1899

Liverpool Mercury, Jan 7th 1899,

Deaths and Inquests

A fatal explosion occurred on Thursday at the premises of Messers ISAAC, General Merchants, Liskeard, by which William JOHNS, aged 65, storekeeper met with a horrible death. The cause of the explosion is not established but at 5 o'clock a terrific report was heard on the upper part of the premises, and the body of JOHNS was found huddled in a corner, in a sitting position. His head and arms had been blown off, his chest and ribs smashed and his thighs and abdomen gashed. Gunpowder and some dynamite cartridges were on the premises.

On Tuesday, an inquest was held at St Helens by Mr S. BRIGHOUSE on the body of John LANGLEY, aged 37, a labourer of 232 Boundary Rd, who was found dead on the sofa at his home on Friday last. Prior to his death LANGLEY and P.C. CARMODY of the Borough force had been wrestling and the deceased was knocked down and fell against the fire-grate. The Coroner ordered a post mortem on the body to be made.

Dr GRAY had carried out the examination and found death was due to Cardiac Syncope, accelerated by excessive drinking. Cons CARMODY said, that on the previous Tuesday morning, while off duty, he went with his father to the Nags Head in Boundary Rd. LANGLEY, came in with 5 other young men and treated everybody round, afterwards in a friendly way he got hold of the witness and said he could get him on the floor. They fell and rolled over and the deceased hit his head on the fire-grate. On the night of the following day he and Cons GREGSON found LANGLEY lying drunk in Knowsley Rd and took him home, leaving him in the charge of his two sisters. Coroner was satisfied death was due to excessive drinking.

When the FENNELLA was crossing from Liverpool to Douglas, during Monday's heavy storm it was believed that a Manx man, William QUAYLE, Schoolmaster in Liverpool, went overboard and drowned. He was spoken to on the passage, but never reached Douglas where he has relatives. He was a young man with one child.

Mr William OVERTON. J.P, of Wrexham, died on Thursday, aged 86.

Mr BRIGHOUSE held an inquest on Wednesday on the death of James BURNS, aged 60, a sailor, who died at his home, Olivia St, Bootle on the 22nd of last month. In September last he came home from sea on the ship LABRADOR and when the vessel was in port he received an injury to his leg. He went to the Walton Workhouse Hospital and was treated for three weeks. He then went back to work on the steamship VIRGINIA and in November last while carrying something up the gangway, he fell and injured himself. He afterwards became ill and died on the date stated above. He however received no medical treatment. The inquiry was adjourned for further evidence. The jury concluded that the deceased died from the results of the second fall, whist working on the ship VIRGINIA.

At the Liverpool Coroner's Court on Wednesday an inquiry was held into the death of Samuel GUEST, aged 60, who lived with his wife at 33 Cavendish St. For 35yrs deceased had been a very heavy drinker and had been intoxicated nearly every day of the week. On the 19th last, deceased went to a neighbour's house and partook of a great deal of liquor. A young woman entered the house where the deceased and his friends were drinking and the deceased remarked, "She was a very nice young woman," and behaved indecently. She repulsed him, and, on him again trying to assault her, caught up a 2lb jar and hit him over the head with it. For a few days he seemed none the worst for the wound on his forehead, but on the 29th December last he consented to be removed to the Walton Workhouse Hospital, where he died on the 31st December.

Medical evidence showed all the deceased organs were diseased and that death was due to a cerebral haemorrhage, accelerated by drink, and the head wound in no way was connected to the death, the jury returned a verdict in accordance with the findings, the Coroner remarked, that even a drunken man had no right to assault a woman and the woman was justified in protecting herself.

Mr Rev G. S. MEEK, Wesleyan Minister, Heywood, died on Monday at Manchester

An announcement has been made of the death of Rev R. E. GUY, O.S.B, one time connected with St Annes, Edge Hill, and founder of the male voice choir

On Tuesday Mr J. E. WOLSEY held an inquest on the death of Joseph BALL, aged 42, foreman plumber at the United Alkali works, Weston near Runcorn. John FRASER said that at 11.30 am on the previous day he knocked on the door of the hut the deceased occupied, he got no reply and the door was locked. He kicked the door in and found the deceased hanging from a nail on the wall. He cut the body down but life was extinct "suicide whilst temporary insane"

At 9am on Sunday, two children named EDGE were playing at their home in Ritson St, Toxteth, when the clothing of one of the children caught fire, the child was taken to the Royal Infirmary and died soon after.

Edith CRAIG wife of a cab driver of 120 Crab St, St Helens, committed suicide. She was found on the kitchen floor with her throat badly gashed a blood, stained knife was near by. Dr DOW was immediately called but the woman died in a few minutes.

On Monday morning Elizabeth EVANS, a farmer's wife, residing at Talygath, Glynceiriog, was found by her husband lying dead on the floor. She had a gash in her throat from ear to ear. A large carving knife was near by. It is supposed she committed suicide, but no reason can be assigned for the rash act.

On Wednesday, Mr JONES Dept Coroner held and inquest at Ince near Wigan on the mysterious death of Alice LOWE, who was employed on the pit-brow and was 19. On Sunday she was in the company of her sweetheart and became unconscious and died later. Her mother said several family members had died in a similar manner "death by natural causes".

As a result of the terrible storms in the Rhos and Ruabon districts on Monday night a terrible discovery was made on Tuesday at Ponkey. Some youths were passing over "Ponkey Banks" and saw the body of a man at the bottom of some old rocks. Police were informed and the body was found to be that of Joseph BELLIS, aged 70, of Princess St.

Inquest held at St Helens by Mr BRIGHOUSE, on William KEY, aged 36, a labourer, Parr St, who was found drowned in the canal at Pocket Nook on Monday. The deceased was drunk on New Years Day but went to work on the night-turn at Pocket Nook, Gasworks. Later he left work and crossed the canal over a bridge to a beer house, he later left the beer house but was not seen again at his work place. James FORBER said, they heard cries coming from the canal on Sunday night and got lights out, but did not see anyone in the water. Cons WHALLEY said, when he found the deceased he still had his pipe in his left hand "accidentally drowned".

William RAMSAY, aged 34 of 31 Oak St, Birkenhead, on Thursday met with his death under very sad circumstances. He was employed by the, Mersey Docks and Harbour board and about 1.30pm, James CALDERBANK, a joiner, sent him for a boring machine, which was in the cumulator on the South Side of the West Float Dock. RAMSEY ascended the platform about 30ft high and surrounded by a guard or railing and whilst leaning over the latter to lower the boring machine with rope, his head and neck were crushed by some machinery in motion. William HANDLEY, Joseph MORRIS and P.C. WRIGHT assisted to get the unfortunate young man in the horse-drawn ambulance, which was sent for. On arrival at the Borough Hospital Dr HARE pronounced life extinct.


Liverpool Mercury 14th Jan 1899

Deaths and Inquest

The body of William DUMBELL was found by the police on Monday morning at the bottom of the Trafford Dock, the deceased was employed as a carter by Thomas WILSON of Strand St.

Mr BRIGHOUSE held and inquest on Monday on the body of a Lascar named, Abdul GUFFAL, a native of Bombay who was one of the crew of the HADDON HALL. While cargo was being taken out of the vessel the deceased was sitting on a mainstay, securing a block. Another block attached to a crane on the quay, belonging to the Mersey Docks and Harbour Board, struck the mainstay and knocked GUFFAL off, he fell 15ft and died from his injuries, "accidental death"

At the Liverpool Coroner's Court, Dale St, Wednesday

An inquiry was held into the death of Roderick William PINTO, aged 15, of 15 Fernie St. On Jan 10th, the deceased an apprentice was working on a ship, the NAVIGATOR, belonging to Messers T and J. HARRISON of Liverpool, in the Harrington Dock. He and another boy were taken down by the foreman to clean the bottom of the ship. They reached the 2nd tween decks when the foreman realised it was too dark to do the work. He asked the lads to sit where they where till he returned with a lamp.

Deceased, however, climbed up a ladder and whilst walking past the coamings of the bunker hatch ladder, he tripped, and fell 20ft to the bottom of the hold. He was taken to the Royal Southern Hospital with fractures to the base of his skull and died soon after "accidental death"

At St Helens on Tuesday Mr BRIGHOUSE held and inquest into the death of George CLARE, aged 25, a glass grinder of 69 Oldfield St. On Saturday night he and a man named William MAWDSLEY of Haydock and two women, Mrs Lavina SLATER, a widow and Mrs Margaret GRUNDY were together in Park Rd, CLARE and SLATER left the other couple. Afterwards a man named WYNN living in Back Bolton St heard a noise in the back entry. When he got there he found CLARE lying on the ground and SLATER trying to raise him. He died shortly afterwards

Cons JACKSON was called, SLATER told him they were walking to her home and denied they had gone into the entry for any other purpose, Cons JACKSON had no doubt what had taken place. Dr F. J. KNOWLES performed a post mortem on the body and found the deceased bowel and stomach over distended and this had displaced and crowded the deceased weak and diseased heart, producing the fatal syncope. He stated, anything leading to an excited heart action, while so embarrassed, would conduce fatal consequences "natural causes".

At Birkenhead Mr A. F. COTTON, held and inquest on Monday on the body of William Alexander RAMSEY, aged 25, joiner's labourer of 33 Star St, Rock Ferry. On Thursday last deceased was working on the hydraulic accumulator at the West Float Dock and went for a boring machine on the platform of the accumulator [about 30ft off the ground] While the deceased was leaning over the platform rail lowering the boring machine by a rope he was fatally crushed by the accumulator descending. At the Borough Hospital Dr HARE certified life was extinct deceased had multiple fractures to his skull and neck.

P.C WRIGHT was on the scene when the accident occurred he saw deceased go up the ladder, then heard a moan and some liquid came down, A fellow workman remarked, "Something has burst." Witness replied, "No Jimmie its blood" "accidental death".

Liverpool Mercury, Jan 21st 1899

Mr T. E. SAMPSON, Liverpool Coroner, held an inquest on Wednesday at Dale St on the death of Eustace Montague TOWNEND, aged 28, who was Lieut in the troop of the Royal Niger Company in West Africa.

Miss Ada Constance TOWNEND, sister of the deceased of 11 Lorna Rd, Hove, Brighton said he went out to Africa on 13th November 1897. Last month she received a letter from the company saying her brother had been injured during a rebellion with natives and that he was being sent home on the steamship OLENDA. The vessel arrived at Liverpool on the 31st December last and the deceased was taken to the Royal Infirmary. Witness came to Liverpool tom see her brother, but, he was too ill to tell her anything about his injuries and was never conscious after that and died in her presence last Saturday.

Miss Louisa Anne SIDKY, Hockenden, St Mary Grey, Kent, a friend of the deceased said, she received a letter from the deceased last November, he told her he had been fighting rebellious natives beyond Issela Assaba, but he had not been wounded. A week before Christmas she was informed by the company that he had been wounded and was being invalided home. She then accompanied his sister to Liverpool after the vessel arrived.

Charles John RYCROFT, Shore purser, for Messers Elder Dempster and Co, steamship owners, Africa House, Water St, stated that on the 31st December last the OLENDA of the above company arrived in Liverpool from the West Coast of Africa, the deceased was a passenger. The ship's surgeon brought the deceased from the ship on a tender, when the tender reached the stage the deceased was taken immediately to the Royal Infirmary by Horse ambulance, which was in readiness. The deceased was very ill but he did not know what he was suffering from.

John Harry WATSON, House surgeon to Professor PAUL at the Royal Infirmary, said the deceased was admitted on the 31st December last and was accompanied by Dr NESBITT, the ORLENDA'S surgeon. Deceased was very weak and had two gunshot wounds to his left side. Dr NESBITT said the deceased had been fighting at a place beyond Issela Assaba and had led some troops against natives entrenched in a ditch. The advance was in single file and he was the at the head, 2yds from the trench he was shot at and fell immediately, the man who shot him was killed by Lieut WAKE.

At the beginning of the year his recovery was considered hopeless, but after subsequent operations he improved. However a relapse occurred and the deceased died last Saturday caused by exhaustion through the wounds.

The Coroner said that this was a peculiar case and it had caused him and his officers some anxiety. There was no evidence in this country how the gunshot wounds occurred. He had no doubt the story from the ship's doctor was correct, but then, this country was not at war with regard to that place in West Africa. He supposed the Niger Company, formed for developing the Niger Territory, were obliged to have troops there, if he had been shot, the person who shot the deceased, would be liable for the death, there being no war there, that would be murder.

An adjourned inquest was held on Tuesday afternoon

By Mr W. Wynn EVANS, East Denbighshire, Coroner on the death of John Lewis RIALTON, aged 14mths, the illegitimate child of a single woman, Kate Annie RIALTON, of Acrefair, Ruabon.

Andrew JONES, desired to give evidence, coroner advised against it but JONES pressed his desire, and said both he and his wife had always treated the child well. On January 5th the child fell off a chair, he did not know it had broken its arm till Dr DILLON told him on the 11th.

Kate JONES, wife of above, repeated her previous evidence and was asked whether she wanted to contradict the statements of the BAKERS, she said she had not told Mrs BAKER that her husband had broken the child's arm.

Dr DILLON, Rhos, said on examination of the deceased he found both arms broken, one fracture of a months standing the other a week. There were bruises all over the child's body. The cause of death was due to violence and exhaustion due to the injuries.

Dr J. C. DAVIES who accompanied Dr DILLON at the post mortem, said the fractures could not have been caused by the child falling off a chair. The bruises showed evidence of ill treatment of long standing.

Jury returned a verdict of manslaughter against both Andrew and Kate JONES, both were taken into custody by the police.


Liverpool Mercury, Jan 21st 1899

Deaths and Inquests

Liverpool Coroners Court


Inquiry into the death of John MOUNTAIN, General labourer, aged 74, 19 Latham St, on 12th deceased returned from work [employed by the Mersey Docks and Harbour Co] with a bruise on his forehead and said he had been blown down by a strong wind when crossing Sandhill's Bridge. About 6mths ago he had a paralytic stroke. On the 14th his wife took him his breakfast in bed and left, on returning to him some minutes later she found him dead. - medical evidence, heart disease accelerated by shock.


Inquiry into the death of Caroline JONES, Bookbinder, widow of a ship's rigger, aged 57, who lived in a court off Upper Mann St. Last Wednesday on going to work on crossing Church St, she passed behind a tramcar and was knocked down by a shandry. She later died at the Southern Hospital with a scalp wound and poisoned ear - accidental death

Inquiry into the death of Simon Samuel DUNNE, foreman ship's painter, aged 52 of 32 Westbourne St. Deceased was steady and reliable and had been employed for 28yrs by Messers SUTER, HARTMANN and RAHTJENS, Rumford Place. On Tuesday he was employed painting the ship KIRK LOCH, in the Canning Graving Dock, he slipped on the steps on the side of the dock and fell to the bottom of the dock, dying immediately of a fractured skull - accidental death due to the fall

On Thursday at Bootle Police buildings an inquest was held on the death of Edward BOUCHER, aged 52 of Cornwall St, Glasgow, who was quartermaster on the steam-ship TAURANIAN of the Allan Line. On Wednesday last deceased was going down a gangway leading from the steamer to the quay when he slipped, he managed to grab a rope but could not hold on and fell into the dock. He was taken from the water 15mins later and taken to Bootle Hospital where life was pronounced extinct - accidental death

A workman named Henry GAFFNEY, aged 42 of Petton St, was engaged in an old mill in Boundary St on Tuesday afternoon and was crushed to death by the hydraulic machinery.

Sudden death at St Helens

James BOARDMAN, aged 24, a labourer of Platt St, Parr, while walking to his home on Saturday, fell to the ground, a man named ELLAM went to his aid and found him dead.

On Monday Ernest WILLIAMS a breaks man for the Great Western, while attending to his train at Mold Junction, was knocked down by some moving wagons, which severed one of his arms and a leg. He was taken to Chester Hospital and died at 4pm. He was married and lived at Connahs Quay

On Saturday at Tuebrook, on Scorton St, Rocky Lane, an aged man, named Robert BAMFORD, while standing in front of the grate in his night clothes, was set on fire, he was seized with faintness and fell backwards on the grate. A neighbour heard his cries and he was removed to Mill Rd, his condition is very serious.


Liverpool Mercury, May 13th 1899

Terrible fall at Birkenhead

David Llewellyn CARRINGTON, middle aged, who earned his livelihood by hawking, fell from his bedroom window a distance of 40 to 50ft, at 35 Stanley Rd, Dock-cottages, Birkenhead, last night and broke his neck. When taken to hospital life was extinct.

A flatman's sad death

Mr E. A. GIBSON, deputy coroner for Liverpool, yesterday presided over an inquest on the remains of Abraham HOUGHTON, who lost his life through the foundering of the flat Ann, off Garston in December last. The evidence showed on the 12th December last the flat left Garston Dock in stormy weather. When in mid-channel she struck a squall the water poured into the holds through the open batches, and the ill-fated vessel sank, taking to their death the three men who constituted its crew. The body of HOUGHTON was recovered on Thursday floating off the Woodside Stage. The body of another man was recovered a few days after the occurrence, the third has not yet been recovered. The jury returned as verdict of, "Accidentally drowned." They added a recommendation that the tarpaulins of flats leaving dock should be properly secured before they were allowed to put off.


Liverpool Mercury, May 29th, 1899

Sudden deaths in Liverpool

Daniel BUTLER, a cabman of Buckingham St, off Great Homer St, became ill yesterday afternoon and was removed to the Royal Infirmary where he died.

Thomas HUGHES, aged 33, of Gilead St, dropped down dead in the street on Saturday morning, his body was removed to the Royal Infirmary.

Shocking death a Birkenhead Hydraulic Tower

On Saturday morning Thomas MURRAY, aged 18, of 11 Kent Place, Birkenhead, met his death under shocking circumstances. He is employed by the Mersey Docks and Harbour Board as an engine cleaner at the hydraulic tower at Birkenhead Docks, about 11.25 am, William KINGSLEY of 55 Gladstone St, Seacombe found him entangled in the machinery at the tower. The machinery was stopped and MURRAY was extricated and conveyed by the horse ambulance to the Borough Hospital where he died soon after admission, his head being terribly crushed.

Killed on the railway at Southport

A painful accident occurred on the railway near Southport on Saturday morning. A child named Bessie THOMAS, aged 5, travelling with her parents by a Bolton excursion train to Southport, fell from the compartment on to the permanent way when nearing Blowick Station. When the body was picked up life was extinct, and it was at once removed to the Blowick Hotel, were it lies awaiting an inquest. The exact circumstances attending the fall, have not yet transpired, only her parents and another child were in the compartment at the time.

Shocking burning case

On Saturday afternoon William CANNING, aged 3, son of James CANNING, of 63 Albion St, St Helens, was left in the house alone for a few minutes. His mother heard the child screaming and on rushing in found his clothing in flames. Dr DOW was called in, but the boy who was terribly burned all over his body, died soon afterwards.

Suicide in Liverpool

The coroner of Liverpool received information to the effect that Wm M'CONCHIE, aged 33, hung himself on Saturday at 67 Greyrock St, he was discovered by police-sergeant B. DAVIES.


Liverpool Mercury, June 7th, 1899

Sudden death at Birkenhead

At 6am yesterday a dock labourer named Charles LUNN, , aged about 35yrs was found dead on a form in a lodging house at 10 Waterloo Place, Birkenhead, a post mortem will be made, the deceased was a member of No3 Bootle Branch of the Dockers Labourers Union.

Suicide in Liverpool

Police Sgt 278 MC LELLAN, yesterday reported that on Monday he was called to 3 Daniel St about 5 o' clock, and in the bedroom upstairs found Henry MORE, aged 44yrs, lying dead on the floor with his throat cut and a razor close by. The body of the deceased was conveyed to the Royal Infirmary by horse ambulance. It is stated the deceased had been drinking heavily for 3wks previous to Monday.

Fatality at the Queens Dock

Robert LUCAS a labourer, working at the extension of the Queens Dock, was yesterday assisting at the lowering of a stone from a trolly, when the block slipped and fell, crushing the unfortunate man's chest killing him instantly

A brave rescuer rewarded

Yesterday Mr SAMPSON , Coroner of Liverpool, held an inquest on the body of George MULHOLLAND, aged 3, who lived with his parents in Great Howard St. It seemed on Sunday the boy was playing by himself at the edge of the Leeds Liverpool Canal, a few hours later his body was found in the water. A man named MC GOVERN dived into the canal and brought his remains to the surface, artificial respiration was applied, but unsuccessfully. A verdict of "Accidentally drowned" was returned by the Jury, who complimented Mr MC GOVERN on his brave rescue. The Coroner said, he intended to give him something as men who do such a thing deserve to be complimented.

Mr SAMPSON also resided over an inquest on the body of John Jas CRONICAN, aged 7, evidence showed the deceased was trying to catch a fish in the Leeds Liverpool Canal, when he overbalanced and fell into the water, a PC, recovered the body. A verdict of "Accidentally drowned" was returned by the Jury

Fatal fall downstairs at St Helens

Thomas CAIN, a baker, aged 47, 104 Wilson St, St Helens, died late on Monday night from the effects of falling down stairs. It was reported he was under the influence of drink and was going upstairs to bed when he fell backwards, his head was badly injured and Dr BELLEW was sent for and found life extinct.

Alleged attempted suicide at St Helens

At St Helens Police Court yesterday, Lionel SWIFT, aged 21, 43 Clyde St was charged with attempting to commit suicide. Chief Cons WOOD stated on Monday night the prisoner went upstairs apparently to bed, shortly afterwards his father saw him standing in the doorway of his room with a knife in his hands, prisoner drew the knife across his throat inflicting a slight wound from which blood flowed. The police were called and the prisoner said, he was tired of life., and wished his father had allowed him, "to finish it" PC STEWART gave evidence to support the chief constables statement, prisoner was remanded.

Driven to suicide

The Bolton Coroner held an inquest yesterday relative to the suicide of Adam TURNER, aged 36, who hung himself at the mineral water works where he was foreman. one of his children died the same day. He had described his home as a "hell" on account of his wife's drunken habits. His employer gave him an excellent character. The Coroner said, it would have given him the greatest pleasure to give the wife 6mths imprisonment if he could. A verdict of "Temporary insanity" was returned.


Liverpool Mercury, June 19th 1899

Sudden death on a Sligo boat

The dead body of a man named John CAFFERTY lies at the Prince's Mortuary, he having expired suddenly on the Sligo boat Liverpool, which arrived at the Landing-stage yesterday from Ireland.

Killed on the Wirral Railway

The body of James BIRNIE, aged 27, residing at 27 Rockliffe St, Birkenhead was found on the Wirral Railway at Noctorum on Saturday. Deceased had been run over by a train and is supposed to have committed suicide. He was secretary to a social club in Birkenhead. The body now lies at the Horse and Jockey Inn, Woodchurch awaiting a coroner's inquest.

Shocking suicide at Liscard

On Saturday at 7pm, a young man William Christopher DIOWDEN, aged 25, a clerk, committed suicide under shocking circumstances. He lived with his parents at 10 Agnes Grove Liscard, and he went into the front bedroom of a house in course of erection adjoining his own home, where he shot himself in the right side of his head. When the body was recovered life was extinct and the revolver was grasped in the right hand. An inquest will be held.


Liverpool Mercury, July 3rd 1899

Dock Board employee drowned

Early on Saturday morning Owen CASEY, a labourer who lived at 11 Milford St, employed by the Mersey Docks and Harbour Board, while stepping from one mud barge to another, lying in No 3 branch of the Huskisson Dock, slipped and fell into the water and was drowned, notwithstanding the efforts made to rescue him.

A dangerous practise

At the Bootle Police Buildings on Saturday Mr S. Brighouse, county coroner, held inquests on the remains of Nicholas de LACY, aged 9, who was run over by a lorry, on Thursday at Waterloo. It appeared the deceased was swinging on the side of the lorry when he slipped and fell. The vehicle went over him breaking both his thighs. He was taken to hospital and died the same evening. A verdict of "Accidental Death" was returned, the jury exonerating the driver of the lorry from all blame.

Also on the body of James Frederick RAYNOR, aged 31, storekeeper on board a ship lying in the North Langton Dock, Bootle. He was at the end of the boom which was triced for the purpose of unloading, when the shackle gave way, the boom swerved and the deceased fell to the tween decks. He was taken to Bootle Hospital where he died a few days later. A verdict of "Accidental Death" was returned.

A sad suicide occurred at Warrington on Friday evening when John HEWITT, Bridgewater St, committed suicide by hanging. Deceased had been in ill health for some time and an attack of influenza had left him depressed. He witnessed the annual school procession in the morning, and is supposed to have been affected by his own little ones not being dressed as in former years. The deceased was found hanging by his wife, suspended from a hook in one of the bedrooms.


Liverpool Mercury, Aug 15th, 1899

Lamp fatality at Liverpool

On Sunday morning the death took place of Ann BONSOR, a married woman, who some days ago was going upstairs with a lighted lamp in one hand and a cup in the other, she stepped on her dress and stumbled, the lamp fell out of her hand and set her clothing on fire. She was taken to the Stanley Hospital and later to Mill Rd Infirmary where she succumbed to her injuries.

Suicide by shooting at Liverpool

Yesterday afternoon information was received at the Liverpool Coroner's Court that Arthur William HOLIDAY, aged 25, had committed suicide at a house in Joliffe St, Princes Park, by shooting himself with a revolver. It is said his parents live in Munday St, Birmingham.

An inquest was held at Birkenhead yesterday by the Borough Coroner, Cecil HJOLDEN, touching the death of a female child, which was found on Saturday morning in a parcel in a passage at the back of Salisbury St. Dr PREECE stated the child was fully developed and had, had, a separate existence.

A Liverpool mans death at Chester

At Chester Infirmary yesterday the Dept Coroner, Dr F. TURNER held an inquest on the body of Henry PERRY, aged 45, landlord of the Hanley Arms, Paddington, Liverpool, who died under painful circumstances at Chester on Wednesday last. On this day the deceased accompanied a friend who had business in Chester, while his friend was engaged he took a ride on the tram to Saltney. He got off and walked along the path and was observed to stumble, it was 1.50pm and the heat was excessive, he was picked up unconscious and his forehead was gashed. He was conveyed to Chester Infirmary and died there on Saturday, from congestion of the brain. Dr NEWALL said the deceased had been suffering for about 2yrs from chronic brain disease, which would be accelerated by a fall and also heart disease, and would , no doubt be affected by the heat, Jury returned a verdict of "Death from natural causes"


Liverpool Mercury Aug 24th 1899

Deaths and inquests

About 4.30 am yesterday the body of a flatman was found in the Duke's Dock, and removed to the Prince's Dock Mortuary, in the afternoon the body was identified by his brother, also a flatman, as that of Frederick EMMETT, aged 35, of Gower St, Patricroft, an inquest will be held today.

William HANSBURY, aged 39, dock labourer of 46 Cherry Lane, was yesterday piling rice at the East Harrington Dock when he fell, alighting on his head. He was conveyed to the Royal Southern Hospital, where it was found that his skull was fractured, 2hrs after admission death ensued. Inquest will probably be held today.

Stanhope St, domestic tragedy

An inquest on the infant victim of this tragedy will be opened today, the body which shows a severance of the spinal cord as well as the throat, lying at the Prince's Dock Mortuary. The mother Bridget DOYLE, who after killing her little daughter, gashed her own throat, is progressing at the Royal Southern Hospital, as well as can be expected, but she is occasionally delirious and by no means out of danger.

An inquest will be held today on the body now lying in the Northern Hospital of William CORNWALL, aged 56, traveller for a Canadian pianoforte and organ firm, who was found dead in a railway carriage at Edgehill on Tuesday evening with his throat deeply cut. Evidence will be adduced to show that the deceased had been very despondent of late owing to failing health, and had threatened to destroy himself. It is supposed he slashed himself with a razor, and then threw the weapon out of the carriage window.

Yesterday at 8-30 am a man named Edward HUGHES, aged 37, while engaged in his occupation at Moelfferna Quarry, Glyndyfrdwy, near Llangollen, was instantaneously killed by the fall of a piece of rock, weighing about 2 tons. His head was completely crushed and battered in. Two of his fellow workmen were also injured severely and are under the care of Dr Richard DRINKWATER, surgeon of the quarry, who was promptly on the spot, and are progressing favourably. The deceased had a wife and large family, with whom much sympathy is felt.


Liverpool Mercury, Sept 6th, 1899

Mysterious drowning case at Liverpool

Yesterday afternoon Mr F. A. JONES, deputy county coroner, held an inquest at the Bootle Police-buildings touching the death of Jane TAYLOR, who was drowned in the Leeds Liverpool Canal at Bootle on Sunday evening last. It was stated by David James TAYLOR of 31 Copley St, Everton, that the deceased was his wife, and was 29 years of age. On account of her intemperate habits he had lived apart from her. On the 31st ult, he met her on being liberated from Walton Jail, where she had served six weeks imprisonment. He told her he would not live with her again, and gave her some money with which to obtain a maintenance order in the police court against him. She, however, did not take any proceedings, and he never saw her alive again. In reply to the coroner, witness stated there was nothing else between himself and his wife except what he had stated, and he had no reason to think that she would take away her life.

Eliza M'ARDLE, of 56 Audley St, Bootle the deceased's aunt, said that Mrs TAYLOR lived with her, and on Sunday evening about 9.30, while returning home from a friend's house, the deceased left her saying, "Wait till I speak to this woman" Witness left the deceased in conversation with some women, thinking that she would come on later. Mrs TAYLOR however never arrived at the house. Asked whether she had noticed anything unusual about the deceased witness stated that, " she used to fret over her little girl, who had been put in a school" Witness further stated that Mrs TAYLOR told her that her husband had arranged to meet her on Saturday morning, last, but he did not turn up.

Joseph WATSON the licensee of the beerhouse in Church View, deposed to being in the backyard on Sunday evening, when he heard a splash and a scream. He went to the canal bank, and saw the deceased struggling in the middle of the canal, a short distance from Coffee House Bridge. He was about to go to her rescue when another man jumped in and several others also went into the water.

Joseph WILD, of Berry St, Bootle, stated that when he reached the woman she clutched him by the arms, and pulled him under the water three or four times. He held her up shouting for help until he was exhausted, he then had to release her, he himself being taken out of the water by somebody else. While he was struggling with her a man swam up and said. "How are you?" and the witness replied, "I am done." "Then save yourself," said the man. Another man, named Edward BRETHERTON, of Ashcroft St, Bootle went into the canal, but he was seized with cramp and had to be pulled out.

The body of the deceased was ultimately recovered by Alfred SLATER, of 8 Shelley St, who was in the water three-quarters of an hour before he succeeded in finding her.

There being no evidence to show how the woman got into the canal, the jury returned an open verdict.


Liverpool Mercury, Oct 7th 1899

The funeral of Mr Henry BURGESS took place yesterday at Smithdown Rd, Cemetery, the chief mourners being Messers George B. BURGESS and Isaac BURGESS brothers, Mrs BURGESS, sister-in-law, C. MALIN, uncle, D. BRAKELL, G. PEEL, J. HEWITT, T. PROSSER, R. MELVILLE, A. M'INTYRE, R. WILLIAMS, J. JONES, and W. WILLIAMS. The death of Mr BURGESS was due to an accident at the Victory Printing Machine Works. The works were closed for half day to enable the employees to attend the funeral. Representing the firm were Messers Victor and Arthur WILSON, C. ABERDEEN, J. EVANS, J. HARRISON, W. HIGHAM, W. THOMSON and 150 employees. The Rev J. C. STREDDER officiated and the arrangements were carried out by Messers Thos PORTER and Sons of Toxteth Park.


Liverpool Mercury, Oct 18th, 1899

Burlington St, Burning fatalities

Inquiry by the Liverpool coroner

At the Dale St police buildings, yesterday before the city coroner, T. E. SAMPSON, an inquest was held on the remains of John and Catherine CONLEY, who lost their lives in the burning of House 4, 4 court, Burlington St, on Monday morning.

Adam CONLEY, brother of the deceased man gave evidence of identification. He said, John CONLEY was a dock labourer, who lived with his wife at the above address and they were both addicted to drink. On Sunday night he went to visit his brother, in his company and that of the woman Catherine CONLEY, partook of some drink. The woman returned home and when they [witness and John CONLEY] got home later she was under the influence of drink. They were going to move to another house and all the furniture was packed up, two mattresses were stored in the kitchen, close to the door, being asked to stay the night witness accepted and stayed in the kitchen. The two deceased went to bed upstairs, the man carrying a lamp of the ordinary paraffin pattern with a glass container. Witness fell asleep and was wakened about 12.30 and saw the two bottom steps leading from the bedroom to the kitchen on fire. He didn't see whether the two mattresses which were close to, were on fire. John CONLEY came downstairs and seemed annoyed at the occurrence. He was sober and after witness extinguished the flames on the steps he ordered him to leave the house. Catherine CONLEY at the same time was crying with fright.

Mary SIMMS, a neighbour, stated on Sunday night she heard Catherine CONLEY, say, "God forgive you John CONLEY." She [witness] thought they were fighting, and informed a police-constable, who went to the house and spoke to someone inside. Early next morning [Monday] the witness's little boy told her that the house in which the CONLEY's lived was in flames. She did not know the cause of the outbreak.

William HOLLAND, dock labourer gave evidence that he noticed the house was on fire, he ran from Burlington St and asked a corporation watchman to blow his police whistle, in answer to this summons a police-constable arrived on the scene and a message was sent to the fire station, the brigade being soon on the spot.

PC DUFFEY deposed to being informed by Adam CONLEY that there had been a fire in the house in Burlington St. Witness went there and was not allowed to enter, John CONLEY assured him that a lamp had fallen but all danger was over. There was a slight smell of burning, but, being assured of the safety of the house witness went away.

Another PC, stated in answer to a police whistle, he went to the court off Burlington St and saw smoke coming from the top bedroom window, while flames were issuing from the lower parts of the house. There was no chance of getting into the house and he telephoned the fire brigade, which soon got to work and extinguished the flames. Witness and others managed to enter the top bedroom through the window the room was still on fire and the dead bodies of John and Catherine CONLEY were lying near the window. The bodies were taken out and conveyed to the Prince's Dock Mortuary.

Inspector WEIR gave evidence as to the turning out of the fire brigade and the extinguishing of the fire. He found the remains of two lamps in the debris, both of them in the kitchen. The house was completely gutted, the flames blinding and the smoke dense.

The coroner remarked that there was no evidence to show how the fire had broken out for a second time. It was possible the mattresses had been on fire, though the witness Adam CONLEY was not aware of it.

The jury returned a verdict of. "Accidentally burnt."


Liverpool Mercury, Oct 23rd 1899

Death of a Walton Jail doctor

On Saturday Dr Thomas HAMMOND, aged 48, deputy medical officer of Walton Jail, died suddenly of apoplexy at West Kirby. The funeral will take place today at West Kirby Parish Church.

Fatality at a Liverpool Railway Station

On Saturday morning the body of John CURRAN who lived in Dennison St, was found lying across the rails in the goods yard of the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway Company. He was shockingly injured and life was found extinct, the body was removed to the Prince's Dock mortuary by PC 123 D. It seems the deceased had been 8 years in the company's service employed in looking after the steel rope used for pulling the waggons. The cause of the accident will be subject to an inquiry.


Liverpool Mercury, Nov 9th, 1899

Death in a public house

A labouring man named Thomas MORGAN living in Comus St died suddenly in a public house in Marybone on Tuesday night, there will be an inquest.

Tramway fatality at the Pierhead

John RODGERS a labourer, aged 60, who lodged with a Mrs MURRAY at 10 Queens St Flint, was killed by a tramcar last Saturday, he was feeble and blind in one eye, Joseph CROWE driver of the Walton tramcar gave evidence, he was bringing his car to the terminus at the Pierhead at a rate of 2mph, he did not observe the deceased till the leader horse was level with him when he gave a warning shout. The deceased was walking in the same direction of the car and clear of the lines. He would have been safe had he stood still or moved to the left but he turned right into the horse. He was knocked down and the car went over him before he could stop owing to the frightened horses plunging about. The mans head was injured and both legs broken, he died at the Northern Hospital a few hours later. Jury's verdict "Accidental death", Mr CRIPPS watched the proceedings on behalf of the Corporation Tramways Committee.

Fatal accident in a St Helens colliery

Yesterday Mr S. BRIGHOUSE, County Coroner held an inquest at St Helens Town Hall, on the body of James Edward WILLIAMS, aged 32, collier, 52 Orrell St who was killed at Ashton's Green Colliery on Tuesday. From the evidence, while WILLIAMS was at work a large portion of the roof collapsed and two big stones fell on him. He was so badly crushed that when his body was released, life was extinct. Mr H. HALL, Government Inspector of Mines, considered that the affair was purely an accident, Jury returned a verdict of "Accidental death".


Liverpool Mercury, Nov 25th, 1899

Sudden death on a transport

A joiner supposed named Robert DOBSON, of Liverpool, who was working on the Johnston liner MAPLEMORE, which is being fitted up at the Vittoria Wharf, Birkenhead for troops for South Africa, died suddenly about 9pm on Friday night.

Funeral of Mr John G. HARTLEY

Yesterday the remains of Mr John Gill HARTLEY, who died at Farnhill, Kildarch, nr Keighly, Yorkshire, aged 67, were interred at Anfield cemetery. The deceased was formerly proprietor of the Grand Junction Hotel, Lime St, the Roebuck, Great Charlotte St, etc, in Liverpool, he was also a member of the Downshire Lodge of Freemasons. Mourners where, William H. HARTLEY, son, , Mrs William HARTLEY and Mrs BRUCE, sisters-in-law, Mrs MURPHY, sister, Mrs John WHITE, Miss WHITTAKER, Mrs WARD, Mrs GILLESPIE, Messers John MURPHY, nephew, Joseph T. WHITTAKER, [representing W. TOWNSON] Tom SANTLEY, Sam HAGUE, [HAGUE'S Minstrels] George WALKER, W. E. MORTON, W. BURGESS, J. PARKINSON, George CORNETT, John BILLINGE, Thomas MOSS, Robert H. DAVIES, Thomas GOODWIN, T. H. PERRY etc. The Rev Joseph PASSFIELD. M.A, Vicar of All Souls, officiated, Messers John WAUGH and Sons had charge of the arrangements.

The late Mr Walter PEARCH

Yesterday the remains of Mr Walter PEARCH, who died at his residence the Queens Arms, Williamson Square, aged 43, were interred at Anfield cemetery, the mourners were, Mrs PEARCH, widow, Mr George DAWSON, father-in-law, , Mr John PEARCH, brother, Messers John POWELL and W. ROTHWELL, brothers-in-law, John DUFFY, Frank DELMAR, George WALKER, James RHYMES, J. MILNES, J. J. CROWE, , F. TIPPEN, R. THOMAS, F. G. SAUNDERS, P. BALDWIN, and M. W. DAVOY representing Mr R. BLEZARD . The Rev W. C. UNWIN. B.A, of All Souls officiated, those present included Messers J. H. TOWNLEY, T. RIMMER, H. J.MERCER, C. F. W. CONNOR, L. POSCHL, R. LEWIS, W. FAIRCLOUGH, J. BARROW, T. GARNETT, L. WARNE, H. RINING, J. WYNN, W. H. EVANS, J. WILBRAHAM, J. A. MOLYNEUX, M. MADDOCK, J. ALLISON, P. POWELL, E. PUGH, E. COLE, A. JOHNSON, P. J.CLARKE, W. CANSFIELD, G. HAYWARD, J. OATS, W. J. WATSON, I. DICKINSON etc, funeral arrangements by Messers John WAUGH and Sons.

Death of a Liverpool Insurance Agent

A well known figure in local Insurance circles has passed away in the person of Mr Joseph SWANN, who died at his residence, 66 St Domingo Vale, Everton, at the age of 40yrs. Deceased had been connected with the outdoor staff of the Royal Liver Friendly Society, [of which his father was at one time chairman] for 26yrs. The funeral of the deceased took place on Thursday afternoon at Anfield cemetery and was attended by a large gathering of family and friends. Mourners, Masters Reginald and Lyulph SWANN sons, Mr SWANN brother, Capt WILLIAMS cousin, and Mr DODD.

Officials and staff of the Royal Liver Friendly Society, Mr F. H. TAUNTON secretary, Messers W. FIELD, J. E. OWENS, W. GOLDSMITH, and S. SKELTON, members of the committee of management. F. MC KNIGHT Chief clerk, R. DUNN, M. HERON, and J. O'SHEA delegates, W. HILES, G. HOWARD, J. PARKER, J. WAKELY and A. E. KIRKPATRICK, district managers, E. ADLARD, W. BAKER, A. L. BLACKSHAW, J. W. BOLLAND, W. T. CAIN, Ormskirk, J. COOKE, P. J. KELLY, P. T. KELLY, F. MINSHULL, E. MITTY, J. MORAN, A. MORAN, C. MURPHY, A. E. NASH, R. ORMSBY, W. PARKER, T. ROBERTSON, P. SHANNON, R. TAYLOR and W. TAYLOR agents and collectors, D. THOMPSON, manager Liverpool and General Collecting Society, M. SHANNON, Scottish Legal, T. LAWRENSON, Liverpool Protective, ADAMS and EVANS, Liverpool Victoria Legal, A. BRETHERTON, C. DAW, secretary Clerk's Union, C. HERON, M. OWENS, J. E. PIERCE, H. PRITCHARD, R. ROYLE, R. STEPHENSON, Royal Liver clerical staff, S. FOSBROOKE, G. H. BOWEN, S. HOPE and other friends. The Rev R. G. BELL. M.A, of St Saviour's Everton read the burial service. The funeral arrangements were in the hands of Messers WHITTAKER and Son, Breckfield Rd, North.

Double drowning at Widnes

Yesterday at the Black Horse Inn, Farnworth, Mr S. BRIGHOUSE held an inquiry respecting the death of Mr John DWERRYHOUSE aged 70, of Liverpool Rd, Cronton and Nathan ABBOTT aged 22, labourer, of Birchfield Rd, Widnes, who were drowned on Wednesday night in a pond off Norlands Lane. On that night DWERRYHOUSE, left the Black Horse Inn, with the intention of going home , about 10mins later word was received at the inn that a man was in the pond. A number of men proceeded to the spot including the deceased ABBOTT, who took off his coat and waistcoat and dived in, when out a few yards he threw up his arms and shouted he was drowning. After great difficulty both men were got out and life was found extinct.. The Coroner had inspected the pit and has found it insufficiently fenced. The Jury returned a verdict on the two men as "Accidental drowning." and were of the opinion that the pit should be filled or adequately fenced. There should also be more light in that spot.

Death of a Preston Engineer

Yesterday Mr David MC KITTRICK, consulting engineer to Messers HORROCKS CREWDSON and Co of Preston, died at his residence in Westmoreland Rd, Southport, at the age of 71.He was a staunch Liberal and had resided in Southport for many years. In his profession he was widely esteemed and had also won the affection of a large circle of friends


Liverpool Mercury, Dec 9th 1899

Railway fatality at Roby

Yesterday afternoon Mr S BRIGHOUSE, county coroner held an inquest at the Stanley Arms, Roby, touching the death of Margaret RENNISON, who was on Wednesday morning killed at Roby station while crossing the line at the level of the platform by the Liverpool and Manchester express. Deceased was struck on the head and had her arm broken. She was aged 18 and in the employ of Messers G. H. LEE and Co, Basnett St, Liverpool and had a contract between Roby and Liverpool. The jury returned a verdict of "Accidental death," and added a rider that if there had been more officials than the stationmaster and a porter on the platform at the time of the accident to warn passengers the accident would not have occurred.

Sudden death in the street

A man named Michael FLYNN, aged 56, of Severs St, fell down in Queen's Square yesterday morning and expired in the Northern Hospital Ambulance, which was summoned to his assistance.

Liverpool gentleman found dead at Manchester

Mr J. E. MORGAN, a Liverpool gentleman who had been staying at the Palatine Hotel, Manchester, during the last two or three days, was found dead in bed yesterday morning. Deceased was in his usual health on Thursday night, a telegram arrived for him in the morning and the discovery was made when it was taken up to his room by a servant of the hotel. Death is apparently due to natural causes. An inquest will in the usual course be held

Fatal fall at the docks

An inquest was held yesterday by the city coroner Mr T. E. SAMPSON, into the circumstances attending the death of Samuel HULES, dock labourer, of Selwyn St. On Thursday he was working at the Huskisson Dock in connection with the extension scheme when he fell from a bridge to the ground, fracturing his skull, from which he died before reaching the Northern Hospital. The jury found that death was, "Accidental." Mr TONGUE watched the inquiry on behalf of the Mersey Docks and Harbour Board.

Sad death in Stanley Hospital

An inquest was held yesterday by the city coroner Mr T. E. SAMPSON, into the circumstances attending the death Tersa MAGEE, aged 22, maid at the Stanley Hospital who died under somewhat singular circumstances. On Wednesday she was engaged in cleaning the bottle pantry, and in the course, accidentally broke a bottle containing pure carbolic acid, which severely burned her hands. The doctor in attendance at the hospital immediately attended to her injuries, but she died 2hrs afterwards. Professor WARRINGTON who made a post mortem examination stated that death was the result of shock acting on a heart affected by rheumatic fever. The jury returned a verdict of, "Accidental death."

The coroner said that as one of the committee of the hospital, while exceedingly regretting the accident he felt it his duty to make the fullest investigation. Mr J. J. JONES secretary of the institution also expressed regret at the occurrence and stated the committee would show in a substantial manner their sympathy with the family of the deceased, and the very greatest care would be exercised in connection with the cleaning of the bottle pantry.

Crushed to death

Yesterday afternoon Mr S BRIGHOUSE, county coroner held an inquest at Southport Police Court on the body of Joseph HIGHFIELD, aged 18, engine cleaner in the employ of the Lancashire and Yorkshire Company. On Wednesday night the deceased was told to rake out the ashes from an engine in the locomotive shed. On the same rails 9ft away stood another engine, the shedman William RIMMER, got on the footplate of one engine and eased it up to the other, he heard a cry and on reversing the engine found the deceased lying in the footway. He was taken to the Infirmary but died within a few minutes. It is presumed he was coming from under the engine to get a fresh rake and was caught between the buffers, verdict, "Accidental death."

Mate drowned at Lytham a callous crew

An inquest was held last night at Lytham on the body of William IDDON, mate of a hopper, drowned on Wednesday, the evidence showed the crew had been drinking together at Lytham and returned to the vessel reaching the deck by a ladder. All got on board safely except IDDON who slipped and was drowned in 3ft of water. No assistance was rendered in any form, neither a belt thrown or a punt launched. The Coroner censuring all the members of the crew, said more callous or cold-blooded conduct he had never known, it was scandalous. Verdict, "Accidental death."


Liverpool Mercury, Dec 16th, 1899

Burning fatalities at Liverpool

Nicholas CULLEN aged 5yrs, who lived with his parents in Luke St, Toxteth, died in the Southern Hospital last evening from the effects of burns received through his clothing catching fire on Monday last. Margaret KNIGHT, a child living with her mother in Arkwright St off Netherton Rd, expired in the Royal Infirmary yesterday from a similar cause.

Burning fatality at St Helens

Ann FAIRHURST aged 4yrs, daughter of Ann FAIRHURST of 28 Peter St, St Helens, died yesterday morning from the effects of burns, received on the previous day. The child was playing with some paper in the kitchen and was afterwards heard screaming. Her mother found her clothes were blazing before the flames were extinguished the child was badly burned about the head and body. Dr DONNELLAN attended but the child died yesterday morning.

Burning fatality at Southport

Yesterday Mr F. A. JONES, Dept Coroner held an inquest on the body of James BURNETT, aged four and a half years, son of James BURNETT grocer, 92 Virginia St, who died on Wednesday night from the effects of burns. The evidence shows that the deceased was put to bed in a room containing a fire. Not long afterwards his sister Eleanor aged 18yrs, who was in charge of the house was alarmed by hearing screams coming from the room her brother occupied. Running upstairs she found him in flames, and with the assistance of a rug, in which she wrapped him she extinguished the flames. The little fellow was conveyed to the Infirmary, but, was so fearfully burned that he died about midnight. The Jury returned a verdict of "Accidental death".


Copyright 2002 / To date