Liverpool Mercury, Aug 10th, 1891

Death of John ANGUS, the Everton goalkeeper

John ANGUS, the Everton Football Club, custodian, died at his father's residence, Denny, Scotland on Saturday ANGUS, who was spending the close season at home, was struck by typhoid fever, and gradually growing worse died at 10pm on Saturday. The deceased began his career in King's Park, F.C, but his great fame reaching England, he was engaged by Sunderland Albion, with whom he remained for three seasons, when he signed for Everton, in whose team he was last year. He was 24 yrs of age and unmarried and a plumber by trade.


Liverpool Mercury 29 September 1891

Railway labourerís suicide

On Saturday evening Police-constable 67 C was called to Aiken St, Toxteth, where he found John M'Lachlan, a railway labourer suffering from a self inflicted wound in the neck The man was for removed to the Southern Hospital, where he died from his injury. It has been stated that the deceased went home on Saturday evening in an excited condition and threatened to kill his wife with his tongs. The wife ran out and on returning found the deceased lying in the sofa in his house in the condition stated.


Liverpool Mercury, Dec 9th, 1891

Coroner's inquests, Tues, Dec 2nd, before Mr C. S. SAMUELLS, Deputy Coroner of Liverpool

Sad episode at the Bramley Moore Dock

On the body of Mary Elizabeth FITZGERALD, aged 19, who lived with her sister and brother-in-law at 8 Corwen Terrace, off Coronation St. At 1am on Sunday whilst seeing off a young man on board a ship in the Bramley Moore Dock, the deceased fell into the dock and got jammed between the side of the steamer and the dock wall. The dockgate men extricated her from her perilous position but she was frightfully crushed and subsequently died from her injuries at the Northern Hospital. Verdict, "Accidental death"

Infant mortality

On the body of Agnes May BANNISTER, aged 7 mths, the child of Frederick William BANNISTER, licensed victualler, of 51 Lawton St. On Sunday about 9am the deceased was found dead in bed by the side of a servant with whom she had been sleeping. The medical evidence showed that death was due to suffocation. Verdict accordingly.

On the body of Esther PARRY, aged 17 days, child of Joseph PARRY, boilermaker, of 1 Beamish St. On Saturday morning the deceased was found by its mother dead in bed. There were also in bed the father and two other children. Death was due to suffocation. Verdict accordingly.

The result of excessive drinking

On the body of John BODIN, aged 37, Commercial Traveller, married, but, who had lived separately from his wife for some time due to his drunken habits. On Saturday evening last two youths took the deceased down Kensington whilst he was drunk, they allowed him to rest on some steps where he died almost immediately. Dr GOODWIN, who examined the deceased, deposed to finding a wound on the top of his forehead, and stated that death had resulted from cerebral apoplexy, due to injury and drink, verdict in accordance.

Dastardly assault on a woman

On the body of Bridget MURPHY, aged 34, whose death occurred on the 5th inst at the Northern Hospital. On Thursday the deceased, the wife of Michael MURPHY, was assaulted by a woman named Eliza FARRELL, the wife of Christopher FARRELL a dock labourer, who dragged the deceased down the cellar steps of her house in Regent St and deliberately flung a saucepan of boiling water in her face. She was severely injured on the head and was taken to the Northern Hospital. On being taken into custody the woman FARRELL said she did it in self defence. The jury returned a verdict of manslaughter against Eliza FARRELL, who will be tried on that charge at the assizes.

Before Mr BRIGHOUSE, Coroner for South West Lancashire

Burning fatality at St Helens.

At the Griffiin Inn, Peasley Cross touching the death of James Naylor, son of Nancy GRACE, wife of a collier residing at 369 Fleet Lane, Parr, who died at the Cottage Hospital on Sunday from injuries received on Saturday morning. The mother was in bed, when the child got up and went down stairs unknown to her. A fire was burning in the grate and the deceased was heard screaming, his mother ran down stairs and found his shirt on fire. He was badly burned and removed to hospital, where he died as stated. Verdict, "Accidental death" returned.

Fatal Colliery accident at Ashton-in-Makerfield.

On the body of James HODSON, aged 36, who was b?ling at the Ashton Colliery, belonging to the Garswood Coal and Iron Company, when a fall from the roof took place and he was fatally injured. Mr STOKES stated he had visited the place and had found it fairly well timbered, but if the deceased had set a prop to carry a stone in the roof the accident would not have happened. If colliers would take a little more care in setting props to carry slips in the roofs the majority of accidents of this description would be avoided. Verdict, "Accidental death" returned

© 2011 all rights reserved