Deaths and Inquests 1888

Liverpool Mercury, Jan 10th 1888

Coroner's inquests before Mr Clark ASPINALL, Coroner of Liverpool

On the body of Eleanor M'GLOVE, aged 2, the daughter of a wood-turner of 70 Rose Vale. On Friday the child was in the house with a companion, while the mother was away on an errand and the child's clothes caught fire. She was severely burned and died in the afternoon at the Stanley Hospital. Verdict, "Accidental death".

On the body of Thomas SIDWAY, aged 66, boilermaker, of Alfred St, Picton Rd, Wavertree, and lately worked for Messers DIXON and Co, corrugated iron and steel manufacturers, Spekeland Rd. On Friday morning he went to the engine room to get his breakfast, and after breakfast was lighting his pipe at a gas jet over the engine, when by some means he fell upon the slides of the piston-rod and was struck on the head by a cross bead of the connecting rod. He was rendered insensible and taken to the Royal Infirmary, where he died in a few hours. Verdict, "Accidental death".

Fatal accident at the Albert Dock

Francis CLAREY, aged 60, who lived in a court off Kitchen St, was working yesterday morning on the 3rd floor of the Albert Dock warehouse, when he fell through a door upon the quay, sustaining severe internal injuries. The horse ambulance from the Northern Hospital was quickly in attendance, and the man was taken to the Northern Hospital and died at 9pm last evening.

Death of a Liverpool tradesman

Mr John WILLIAMS, aged 76, one of the oldest and most deservedly respected tradesmen of the city, senior partner of the firm of Williams and Stevens, formerly known as Williams and Crook, 15 Lord St, tailors and drapers, who have carried on business for over half a century, their existence dating back to 1830. He was a man every ready with his sympathy, and generous with his purse at all times for the purpose of assisting the sick and needy, by whom his loss will be sorely felt.


Liverpool Mercury, Jan 11th, 1888

Coroner's Inquests, Tuesday Jan 10th,

On the body of Peter YOUNG, aged 21, a striker, of 14 Shadwell St. On Wednesday the deceased went to Sandhills Station to look for work. About 2.30pm he was going along the line to the goods depot, and observing that trains were approaching along the up and down lines he tried to get away, but, was caught by the buffer of an engine, with the result his skull was fractured and several ribs. He was removed to the Northern Hospital, where he died on Sunday morning. Verdict, "Accidental death."

On the body of Christopher IRLAM, aged 8, the son of a boilermaker, who left his wife 3yrs ago. She lived at 17 Spring Place, off Christian St. The child was left in the house on Thursday and by some means his clothes caught fire and he was severely burned about the body. He was removed to Brownlow-hill, Workhouse, and died there on Saturday evening, Verdict, "Accidentally burned."

On the body of Albert WOOD, aged 4wks, the son of a chimney-sweeper, of Combermere St, Toxteth Park, On Sunday night the father and mother went to rest, they had four children in bed with them, the deceased child lay on the mother's arm. When the mother woke at 5.30am she found the baby dead on her arm. The jury found that the child had been accidentally suffocated through overcrowding.

On the body of John PAISLEY, aged 32, a coachman, of 462 Scotland Rd. The deceased was always addicted to drink and for a fortnight was drinking very hard, but then suddenly ceased. He was in bed in the first three days of last week, and on Friday morning went to Athol St, bridewell. Owing to his condition he was removed to the Liverpool Workhouse, were he died from delirium tremens, brought on by excessive drinking. Verdict to that effect recorded.

Before Mr S. BRIGHOUSE, Coroner of South-West, Lancashire

At the Stanley Hotel, Rice Lane. On the body of Thomas WARBRICK, labourer of Sandon Rd, Walton. On the 22nd of last month the deceased pulled a cup of hot tea over himself and was severely scalded. He was attended by Dr McDOUGALL, and lingered until the 7th inst, when he died from the shock to his system. Verdict, "Accidental death."

At the Hill House, Hotel, Breeze Hill, Walton, on the body of Mary ROWLANDS, aged 32, wife of Richard ROWLANDS, engineer of 127 Makin St, Walton. Deceased had been in bad health for some time and under the care of Dr MAGEE. On the 8th inst she was found dead in bed. verdict, "Died from natural causes."


Liverpool Mercury, May 2nd 1888

Fatal accident to a Liverpool volunteer

An inquest was held yesterday a Bootle Police Court, before Mr S. BRIGHOUSE, coroner of South West Lancashire, on the body of Henry GUY aged 33, a labourer who lived at 3 Corwen Terrace, Coronation St, Liverpool, and who was killed on Saturday last whilst at gun practise in Seaforth Barracks. Superintendent HEYDON watched the proceedings on behalf of the police, and Major HAIGH, 1st, L.A.V, appeared in the interest of the corps.

From the evidence it a appeared that the deceased, who was a married man, had been connected with the 1st L.A.V, for about 15 years. On Saturday afternoon he was one of the detachment practising at No 3 gun, under Sergeant Drill-instructor Frederick CLIFT, in Seaforth Battery. At the time the accident occurred he was No 4 at the gun. The gun, which was moved by means of a hydraulic pump, was about to be "run up" and deceased, who had finished his duties in connection with the loading of it, should have been standing "at attention" about two yards away. The instructor's attention was directed to No 3, who was new at his work, and Nos 12 and 16, who were on the same side of the gun with the deceased, were engaged in such a position that they could not see his motions very well. The gun in being run up, when it reaches a certain point, travels very fast, but, on this occasion it travelled no faster than usual. Just as the gun was nearing the porthole, No 14, M'GOVERN, saw the deceased standing before it. He called out to the detachment to stop the gun, but it was too late. Almost at that instant the chase of the gun caught the deceased, who had turned half-round, and crushed him against the wall. From this position he was released by Sergeant Major James CAINES, who, hearing the cry of alarm, ran to the spot and "depressed" the gun. Several of the deceased's ribs were broken and he had received other injuries. He was carried to one of the barrack rooms, where he died before the arrival of a doctor. It could not be said what caused him to go to the porthole, but the hypothesis is that he went there to expectorate, spitting being strictly prohibited on the floor of the battery. He was about the only volunteer in the detachment who was not a member of the accident fund. The jury returned a verdict of "Accidental death," attaching no blame to no none.

Liverpool Mercury, May 4th 1888

The sad death of a Liverpool Volunteer

The funeral of the late Mr Henry GUY, who was accidentally killed whilst practising with his corps [1st L.A.V.], at the Seaforth Battery on the evening of Saturday last, took place at Everton Cemetery yesterday afternoon with full military honours. The cortege consisted of a gun carriage drawn by four horses, and under the charge of Sergeant LATTO, on which the body was placed, the coffin being covered with the Union Jack, three mourning broughams and two private carriages. A crowd of about 2000 persons assembled in Coronation St, where the deceased's late residence is situated, and Sergeant FORTEATH and a posse of police had some difficulty in making a passage. About 100 members of the 1st L.A.V, under the command of Major HAIGH, Captain LARMON, Captain STEVENSON and Sergeant Major SHARPE, accompanied by the bands of the 2nd Brigade Liverpool District, and the 1st L.A.V, under the conductorship of Mr George SMITH, R.A, headed the procession, the band playing the "Dead March" in "Saul" in an impressive manner on the route to the cemetery. The coffin which was of polished oak, bore the inscription, "Henry GUY, died 28th April 1888, aged 33 years" Mr John LEARY carried out the funeral arrangements. The Rev Dr HYDE, who officiated at the funeral ceremony, delivered an address at the close, after which a firing party, under Sergeant Major SHARPE, fired three volleys over the grave.


Liverpool Mercury, May 4th 1888

Woman drowned at Birkenhead

About midnight on Wednesday two women of the unfortunate class went on board a steamtug lying alongside the river wall at Birkenhead close to the time gun. To get ashore they had to climb a ladder, one of the women managed to return to the quay safely, the other through a sudden lurch of the vessel was thrown along with the ladder into the river. A man belonging to the vessel made every effort to save her, but did not succeed. The body has not yet been recovered. The deceased's name was Mary DALEY.

Fatal accident at Birkenhead

Yesterday an inquest was held at Birkenhead before Mr CHURTON, coroner, on the body of William JONES, aged 40, of Church Place, Higher Tranmere. The deceased was a carter in the employ of Sir A. B. WALKER and Sons, and at 7am was engaged at the stables of the firm in Waterloo place. In coming out of the stables, the horse he was driving "shied" and he was crushed between the cart and the wall of the stables, death being instantaneous. A verdict of " Accidental death" was returned.

Suicide at Birkenhead

Yesterday an inquest was held at the Queen's Arms Hotel, Birkenhead before Mr CHURTON, coroner, on the body of Edward BRIDDAN, aged 60, formerly a bookkeeper, who lived in Parry St, Seacombe. On Tuesday evening the deceased took lodgings at Rosser's Temperance Hotel, Chester St, and on the following day was found dead in bed. By his bedside was a bottle which had contained carbolic acid. The deceased had for some time been out of employment and was in a depressed state of mind. The jury returned a verdict of, "Committed suicide whilst temporarily insane."

The funeral of the late Samuel STORER, who for 40yrs had carried on business as a fruit merchant in Liverpool, took place at the Necropolis yesterday afternoon. The cortege consisted of a hearse and three mourning broughams. It left Chatham House Kirby about noon and arrived at the cemetery at 2pm. At the graveside were assembled, Messers Thomas BELLRINGER, John CLAY, J. C. PARKINSON, T. A. HANMER, John BARKER, QUEEN, CUNLIFFE, ATKINSON etc. The coffin of polished oak and brass furniture, bore the inscription, "Samuel STORER, died 30th April, 1888, aged 67. The Rev Daniel JONES [Fabius Baptist Chapel] officiated, Messers LEE and Co, Basnett, were entrusted with the funeral arrangements.

Funeral of Mr William BARROW This well known Kirkdale resident, contractor on a large scale in Smith St, died somewhat suddenly, and his remains were interred yesterday at Longmoor Lane Cemetery. The deceased was a well known figure at the north end for half a century and was much respected. Chief mourner was Edward BARROW, son, and the funeral was attended by a large number of Masons, amongst whom were, Bros, Dr HENDRY, JOHNSON, BRITTEN, MOLYNEUX, BARGERRY, PENDRIGH, W. HOWE, H. M. WILLIAMS, C. J. ROWLAND, Owen THOMAS, T. U. CLARE, Joseph CROXTON, and a large number of prominent citizens of the north end. Funeral service conducted by Bro Rev Dr HYDE, arrangements carried out by Bro Joseph CROXTON, Scotland Rd.


Liverpool Mercury September 5th 1888

The strange death of a Man at West Derby

Verdict Misadventure

Yesterday the inquest on the body of James Walmsley KING, aged 56, a tailor of 165 West Derby Road, West Derby, was resumed before Mr BRIGHOUSE, county coroner, at the Albert Hotel, West Derby.

It will be remembered that the deceased had been under the care of Dr SEALE, of Rodney Street, for several weeks past, that gentleman stating he was suffering from the effects of a stroke and softening of the brain. Lately, however, Dr OWEN of 123 Farnworth Street in consequence of Dr SEALE being on holiday, was called in and attended the deceased. His condition, becoming so serious that on Wednesday a dose of morphia was injected into his arm, after which he fell asleep, and never regained consciousness, dying the next morning.

At the inquest on Saturday the jury requested the coroner to order a post mortem examination which was performed by Dr STEELE.

Mrs KING stated that her husband was not an habitual drunkard but occasionally took a glass of beer. Dr STEELE said that when he first attended the deceased he found him suffering from rheumatic gout, and ordered him to avoid drink. His memory was also affected. From what he learned of him he would not call him an habitual drunkard. In the post mortem examination he found the body well nourished, although the heart appeared larger than normal. On the whole the system of the man was of an unhealthy nature. The cause of death was asphyxia or suffocation. The injection of five minims of morphia was not an overdose, although what might be sufficient for one person would be too much for another. However, in the absence of anything else he was bound to suppose that death was caused by the injection of morphia, but would not by means of the post mortem examination say what quantity had been administered.

Dr OWEN arose to address the jury regarding a remark which had been dropped by one of them, when the coroner said he was not prepared to question them, that being one of the privileges the jurymen enjoyed

Dr OWEN, one or two of the jury are trying to cast a serious re----tion upon me. They have a feeling in the matter.

The Coroner, You have no right to say that. When I find any juryman misconducting himself, I shall interfere but at present they are behaving properly, and I cannot allow any conversation between you and the jury.

Dr OWEN, a re…tion has been cast on me and I can prove they have a feeling in the matter.

A juryman, perhaps you would like to be like Dr B and have your own way.

Dr James CARRUTHERS, registered practitioner assistant to Dr OWEN, said he was present when the morphia was injected. The deceased was then in an excited condition brought on, he thought by drink. Witness could not see what amount of morphia was used. That was a usual remedy to produce sleep. When he and Dr OWEN left the deceased was in a raving condition.

The Coroner in summing up said it was quite clear drink had prejudiced the man’s condition. The evidence of Dr OWEN was quite consistent with that of Dr STEELE.

The jury returned a verdict of “Death by misadventure, resulting from

a dose of morphia.”

Coroner’s inquests before Mr Clarke ASPINALL

Suffocated in Bed

On the body of Catherine M’KEOWN, aged 3 months infant daughter of Francis William M’KEOWN, a seaman who when at home lived at 40 Macbeth Street. The mother of the deceased stated that her husband was away at sea and on Saturday night took the baby and two other children to bed at 7.30pm. On waking at 5am on Sunday morning she found the poor child dead. Dr RAVERTY was called in and on examining the deceased found she had died from suffocation. Verdict, Accidental death.

Sudden death in Brick Street

On the body of Catherine M’HALE, aged 64, a widow, who lived with her great niece, Bridget M’CORMICK in 4 court Brick Street. The deceased was the widow of a dock labourer and up until a few years ago kept a small shop. Bridget stated she was a basket-girl and lived with her great aunt. About a fortnight ago the deceased struck her head against a kettle and got a black eye. Last week she was laid up for two days complaining of her heart, on Saturday night at 12midnight, after having supper she went upstairs to bed. Bridget then went out to a neighbour’s house to help nurse a sick child, but was called back at 10, when she found her great aunt dead. Mary HUGHES who lodged at the deceased’s house, deposed to seeing M’HALE sitting on the edge of the bed and suddenly fall to the floor. She did not take drink.

Dr BRADY said the cause of death was failure of the heart, a verdict of death from natural causes was returned.

Death from general debility

On the body of Margaret WATERSON, 34, the wife of Thomas WATERSON a badge porter who lived at, 1 house, 3 court, Thurlow St. About four weeks ago the deceased with her husband and son was going along Circus Street, when she was taken suddenly ill and dropped down to the pavement. The husband and son who were slightly ahead of her turned around and saw her getting up, and as she thought she could get home alright they went on without her. On getting home they found deceased in bed, and since then she had frequently complained of numbness in her limbs. Dr BONE attended her and treated her for general debility, from which she died on the 1st September. Verdict, “Death from natural causes”.

The drink again

On the body of Ann TURPIN, aged 64, the widow of William TURPIN a rigger. The deceased who was a tailoress lodged with Mrs MAHER in a court of Naylor Street. For the past fortnight she had been “on the spree” and took very little food of any description. On Saturday last she died. Dr CAMPBELL a surgeon in the Northern Dispensary, stated that the cause of death was failure of the heart due to excessive drink. Verdict accordingly.

Another sudden death in the street

On the body of Maria JONES, aged 30, the widow of Joseph JONES a marine fireman, the deceased  lodged with her married sister at 19 Burnett Street. She was a sober woman and earned her living by charing. On Saturday night she went to see her brother at Mile End, and from the evidence of several witnesses it appeared about 10.30pm on the evening in question the deceased was seen when in Mile end to fall heavily to the ground. One of the witnesses stated she saw a man strike her three times in the face previously to her falling but there were no marks on her. She was picked up by P.C, 147, CHECKLEY, and subsequently taken to the Northern Hospital in the ambulance where it was found she was quite dead. Dr HASWELL of that institution performed a post mortem examination from which it appeared the deceased died from asphyxia from hemorrhage on the brain. There was no trace of alcoholism. Verdict, death from natural causes.

Before Mr BRIGHOUSE coroner for South West Lancashire.

Discovery in a Bootle Tunnel

An adjourned inquiry on the body of Charles MIDDLEHURST, aged 68, a tailor, who died on the 28th ultimo from injuries received on the 19th May last. On the latter date the deceased was found in a tunnel which runs from Balliol Road, Bootle, to Walton. He was suffering from some serious injuries which it was presumed he received from a passing train. Death ensued on the date named. The inquiry was adjourned in order that a post mortem might be made. Dr SPRAKELING now reported that the primary cause of death was due to the injuries alluded to. Verdict of the jury, in accordance with the medical testimony.


Liverpool Mercury, Sept 25th 1888

An inquest was held at the Town Hall, Wavertree yesterday on the body of Joseph DORAN, a butcher, aged 44, who died on Friday last from injuries caused by a fall during a struggle with a man named HANNIS. The jury returned a verdict of, "Death from misadventure." HANNIS was exonerated from blame.

Yesterday afternoon Mr ROWBOTTOM, Wigan borough coroner, held an inquest at the infirmary on the body of James FOSTER, attendant on a pumping engine at Gidlow and Swinley Collieries, Wigan. Whilst at work on Thursday he neglected to open a tap in the delivery pipe, causing considerably increased pressure on the pump, and this burst the air vessel, a portion of the metal striking him on the forehead. He was carried unconscious to the infirmary and died the next day. A verdict of, "Accidental death, " was returned

Singular drowning cases

Joseph SEDDON, of Blackbrook, a carter at Ashton's Green Colliery, left home to go to work about 5.30am yesterday, but shortly before noon a cap was seen floating in the canal, and his dead body was subsequently recovered.

The dead body of Hannah DAVIES of Chipsley Row, Haydock, was on Sunday removed from a reservoir at the Queen Pit, belonging to Messers Richard EVANS and Co. There are peculiar circumstances into which the police are making inquiries.

Serious accident to a child

A child aged 12mths, Emma HUGHES, whose parents live at 112 Stanfield Rd, Everton, yesterday fell from one of the upper windows of the cocoa-rooms 174 Great Howard St, and sustained injuries of a severe nature. It appeared that during the mother's brief absence from the child it managed to climb upon the open window and fell through. The child was removed to the Northern Hospital by ambulance, and was found to have sustained a compound fracture of the skull and other injuries.

Sudden death at Central Station

Yesterday an elderly man was seen to fall down upon one of the seats at Central Station, and on examination was found to be unconscious. Dr CAVANAGH of Rodney St, was sent for and on his arrival found the man to be dead. The deceased was about 50yrs of age, 5ft 6ins in height, and of a sallow complexion, with brown whiskers and hair turning grey. He was dressed in a brown tweed coat, light plaid vest and trousers, lace up boots, blue worsted stockings, and had on a black billy-cock hat. A return ticket from Liverpool to Warrington, a silver watch, and leather purse containing 8s, a pair of spectacles and two knives were found in his pocket. The body was removed to the Prince's Dock mortuary.

Sad fatality

Edward BAILEY, aged 13 was terribly mutilated at Messers Lancaster's ironworks, Dale St, Accrington yesterday. He was stopping the machine for the purposes of going to dinner, when his hand was caught in a strap, and he was taken around the shafting, and crushed so terribly that he died almost instantaneously.

Suicide at Ashton

Robert ORME, a pork butcher in business at Ashton-under-Lyne, committed suicide yesterday morning. He rose early and after giving directions to business and writing a number of letters respecting his affairs, he cut his throat with a large butcher's knife. He had been in low spirits for some time.


Liverpool Mercury, Sept 27th 1888

Sudden death of a nurse

Yesterday at Llangollen, Mrs Sarah ROBERTS was nursing an invalid in Westbourne Terrace, when she suddenly fell upon her patient in bed and died immediately

Death of an old public servant at Birkenhead

James Edward SMITH, aged 70, well known in Birkenhead and West Cheshire, died yesterday afternoon at his residence Chestnut Grove, Higher Tranmere. Deceased was formerly superintendent in the Cheshire Constabulary, and afterwards for about 15yrs held the position of surveyor to the Oxton Local Board. At Birkenhead he was appointed chief nuisance inspector for that borough from which post he retired on a superannuation allowance about 18mths ago. He had only been ailing a few days

Strange story of a mother

An inquest was held yesterday by Mr S. BRIGHOUSE at the Waggon and Horses Hotel at Haydock on the body of George Albert HARRISON, aged 3, son of single woman Hannah HARRISON, of Haydock who has been remanded on a charge of causing the boy's death by drowning on Sunday. Coroner, on the night of the 23rd inst the deceased was brought home dead by his mother, and she was in custody on a charge of causing the child's death, addressing the mother, if she thought the inquiry ought to be adjourned to enable her to have the services of a solicitor, he would adjourn for that purpose. The prisoner's mother said a solicitor would be engaged, adjourned until Monday

Liverpool Mercury, Sept 27th, 1888

Coroners inquests, Wednesday Sept 26th, before Mr Clark ASPINALL, coroner of Liverpool

Death from hurrying [see above Sept 25th]

On the body of Henry MARSH, aged 54, a bricklayer of 120 Borough Rd, Birkenhead. For some time past he had been working at Warrington, but returned home for the weekends. On Monday morning MARSH left Birkenhead for the purpose of catching the 6.20 train from Liverpool to Warrington. He, however missed the train, and inquiring from the porter when the next train left was told at 7.40. MARSH then sat down to wait, being apparently fatigued in consequence of hurrying. Shortly afterwards he was found dead on the seat, and according to the medical evidence, death was due to heart disease. The jury returned a verdict to that effect.

Found drowned

On the body of John JONES, aged 31, who belonged to North Wales, and was employed as a mate on the coasting schooner Secret of Carnarvon. About a week ago when the Secret was bound from Runcorn to Carnarvon, JONES, It is said fell overboard whilst engaged about some work at the anchor. On Sunday morning the body was found floating in the Sloyne by Captain WAKEFIELD, of the flat Susannah Curtis, and he conveyed it to Liverpool. Later it was identified as that of the deceased. Verdict, "Found drowned."

On the body of Bernard MOONEY, aged 7 wks, the child of a labourer of 7 Hook St. About 5am on Tuesday the child was found dead in bed. Verdict, "Accidentally suffocated."

On the body of Michael M'DERMOTT, badge porter about 31 yrs of age, who lodged at 28 Lace St. He was a very heavy drinker, being particularly fond of whiskey. On Saturday last he took ill, and died late the same night. According to the medical testimony, death was due to failure of the heart's action, accelerated by drink, verdict to that effect. Before Mr S. BRIGHOUSE, coroner of South West Lancashire. At the Owl's Nest, Blackbrook, St Helens, on the body of Joseph SEDDON, which was found in the canal on Monday. SEDDON'S widow gave evidence that she left him on account of his abuse, and she had not seen him since last Sunday week. No marks of violence were seen on the body. Deceased had been addicted to drink. Verdict "Found drowned" returned.

At the Blue Bell Inn, Downall Green, Ashton, on the body of Joseph GORE, aged 55, of 16 Rectory Rd, Downall Green. The evidence showed that on Monday afternoon last the deceased and a man named FAIRHURST were engaged at an old engine bed at Leyland Green "Holeing" under the brickwork, so that it might fall and enable them to obtain the timber from underneath. Both of the men were volunteers doing the work for one of their neighbours, a joiner, who was lame, and consequently unable to do the work himself. The woodwork had been given to the joiner by the agent of Lord Gerard. About 3, FAIRHURST had just paused from holeing, deceased standing close by, when, without any warning, the whole of the brickwork, weighing about 20 tons, fell and completely buried the deceased. His dead body, terribly mutilated, was recovered in about 20 minutes. FAIRHURST had a narrow escape. The Coroner in summing up, said it was a very kind and humane action on the part of the men to undertake the work voluntarily and without pay for one of their poorer neighbours, and it was sad to think that one of them had lost their life. Verdict, "Accidental death" returned


© 2010 all rights reserved