Deaths and Inquests 1886

Liverpool Mercury, Jan 6th, 1886

Coroner's Inquests, Tues Jan 5th, before Mr Clarke ASPINALL, Coroner of Liverpool

On the body of Mary SHERRY, aged 41, of 6 Brown St. On Tuesday morning last the husband of the deceased was removed to the lunatic ward of the Workhouse, where he is still an inmate. The same evening the deceased went to a neighbour's house under the influence of liquor and fell backwards against the stairs. The medical testimony showed that an attack of paralysis was the cause of the fall, and resulted in her death. Verdict to this effect was returned.

On the body of Margaret WILSON, aged 19mths, whose parents live at 6 Bartlam St. On Thursday the deceased was left in the care of another child, aged 7, and when the mother returned home from her charing, she found that it had, had, a fall, and its forehead was bruised. The injury was not thought to be serious and the parents took it to bed with them as usual. Next morning the child was found dead in bed. The cause of death was compression of the brain. To this effect the jury retuned their verdict

On the body of Thomas SMEATHAM, aged 66, labourer, residing at 13 Whalley St, Toxteth Park. About 3wks ago the deceased was knocked down and run over by a brewer's dray opposite the Custom's House. He was admitted to the Northern Hospital and died there on New Year's Day from injuries he received to the head. Verdict, " Accidental death."

On the body of Margaret Ann HALLORANS, aged 42. The deceased had been co-habiting with a man named Michael M'CALE, a marine fireman, of 142 Wolfe St, Toxteth Park, and on Saturday night was found dead on the stairs. Dr O'SULLIVAN of the South Dispensary was called, and found that the woman's head had been injured some days previously. M'CALE admitted to the doctor that he had struck her during a quarrel on the previous Saturday night, but she had not complained of any injury to the head. The Coroner adjourned the inquiry for a week and M'CALE meanwhile is being detained in custody.


Liverpool Mercury, January 9, 1886

Coroner's Inquests, before Mr Clarke ASPINALL, Coroner of Liverpool

On the body of William GORE, engine driver, aged 67, who lived with his son-in-law at 2 Rathbone St. On the 29th ult the deceased when to work at Messers Lightbound's Mills to relieve the engineman, and while passing near the gateway, opposite the engine-house, he was crushed by a waggon which was being backed into the yard. The deceased was informed that the waggon was to be backed and he lit a gaslight near the gateway. Verdict, " Accidental death."

On the body of Jane SIMPSON, aged 8, daughter of Henry SIMPSON, glassblower, 89 cellar, Garden St. The girl was returning home along Latimer St on Wednesday at noon when she was run over and killed. Verdict, " Accidentally run over."


Liverpool Mercury, January 12, 1886

Coroner's Inquests, before Mr Clarke ASPINALL, Coroner of Liverpool

On the body of Thomas BOWCOCK, aged 64, stonemason of Ivy Bank, Birkenhead. On Saturday morning the deceased along with his stepson, were carrying a crate and hurrying to catch the Birkenhead luggage boat. After placing the carte on board the deceased sat down to rest, a few minutes later his stepson looked at him and he was dead. Dr FISHER of the Northern Hospital who was sent for said that death was probably due to disease of the heart, a verdict to that effect was returned

On the body of Lewis REEVES, aged 6, son of a labourer of 163 Hartnup St. On Friday last the deceased when in his bedroom with another child, set his nightgown on fire as he was reaching up to the mantel-piece. His screams brought his mother upstairs who took him to the Stanley Hospital, where he died the following morning. Verdict, " Accidental death."

On the body of Ellen Jane TRAVIS, aged 3mths, illegitimate daughter of Mary TRAVIS, of 5 house, 12 court, Clement St. The deceased was found dead in bed by the side of her mother on Saturday morning last. Dr M. A. WADE, stated that the child who was well nourished, died by suffocation. Verdict accordingly.

Before Mr S. BRIGHOUSE, Coroner for South West Lancashire.

On the body of Owen MORGAN, aged 24, who was engaged as a fireman on board the steamer Baltic. Whilst the steamer was on a voyage from New York to this port the deceased was engaged on the 2nd inst in the stokehole. Whilst coaling one of the fires a heavy iron was blown out, this struck MORGAN, rendering him insensible. He was taken to the ship's hospital and attended by the doctor, but never regained consciousness and died on the 5th inst as the vessel was coming up the channel. Verdict, " Accidental death."

On the body of Diderick BOCHEN, a labourer of 51 Lyon St, Bootle, aged 42, who was on the 28th ult engaged as a stevedore on board the Cunard Steamer, Catalonia, when lying in the Alexandra Dock. H was standing on the combings of one of the hatches, attempting to catch a rope when he over-balanced and fell into the hold, a depth of 30ft. He was immediately taken to Bootle Borough Hospital where it was found he had a compound fracture of the left leg, blood poisoning set in and terminated fatally on the 6th inst. Verdict, " Accidental death."

On the body of Charles O'HARE, aged 44, a labourer, of 41 Marsh Lane. On the 6th inst he was employed upon the steam barge Traffic, lying in the Alexandra Dock, two barrels of soda ash were being hoisted by means of a steam derrick, when some shackling was carried away, and a heavy boom fell, striking O'HARE on the head and killing him instantly. Verdict, " Accidental death."

On the body of John Joseph IVISON, aged 14, son of William IVISON, painter, of Bonds Lane, Great Crosby. On Saturday the deceased and a boy named WILKINSON were sliding on a pit in a brickfield near Regent Rd, Crosby, when the ice gave way and IVISON fell into the water. Two young men in a field nearby who heard the cries for help tried to render assistance, but although a rope was thrown to the boy he failed to catch it and disappeared beneath the ice. The body was recovered about an hour afterwards and conveyed to his home. Verdict, " Accidentally drowned." a small subscription towards interring the boy was given by the jury, the parents being in very poor circumstance.


Liverpool Mercury, November 3rd , 1886

Coroner's inquests, Tues 2nd Nov, before Mr C. S. SAMUELL, Dept Coroner of Liverpool

On the body of Robert DONALDSON, aged 60, a ropemaker, who lived with his son at 26 Sandon Rd, Rice Lane. Deceased who was slightly under the influence of drink, on Saturday night last fell and upset a paraffin oil lamp by which his clothes caught fire. Before the fire could be put out the deceased was badly burned. He was taken to the Stanley Hospital where he died yesterday morning from the effects of his injuries. Verdict "Accidental death."

On the body of John Henry FLOOD, aged 22, oil miller, who resided with his parents at 24 court, Hornby St. Deceased was playing football in St Martin's playgrounds, last Friday afternoon, he was running after the ball, when he slipped, and falling to the ground lay as unconscious. The police were called and the horse-ambulance conveyed him to the Northern Hospital, where he died on Sunday morning. Dr THOMPSON of the Northern Hospital stated that death was due to haemorrhage unto the brain, he could not attribute death to injury as there were no external evidence of it, and he inclined to the opinion that it was a natural death. Verdict in accordance with the medical testimony.

On the body of Charles SHUFFLEBOTHAM, aged about 50, a blacksmith, of 8 court, Upper Frederick St. Deceased was a very intemperate man and had been in the Workhouse Hospital suffering from delirium tremens. Last Friday he was removed there again and died on Saturday from excessive drinking. Verdict, "Died from excessive drinking."


Liverpool Mercury Nov 4th, 1886

Supposed starvation of a child at Birkenhead

The inquest on the body of James KEELING, aged 10mths, child of John KEELING, boilermaker, Brook St, Birkenhead, whose death is supposed, resulted from starvation, was held yesterday at the Atlantic Hotel, Vittoria St. Dr BRAIDWOOD stated he saw the child on the 12th July and it was then suffering from a gradual wasting of the system, adding the infant was always too weak for vaccination. The Coroner said he believed the mother had given the child as much nourishment as she could. Verdict, "Died from natural causes"


Liverpool Mercury, Nov 9th, 1886

The remains of the Rev Gustavus CARSON, vicar of St Augustine's Shaw St will be interred at Anfield Cemetery tomorrow, the Rev Canon TAYLOR will officiate. Colonel BULMAN and the officers of the 2nd L.A.V, will inter their late chaplain with full military honours.

Mr John BROADBENT, K.S.G, who was for many years a prominent member of the Roman Catholic community of this city, died on Saturday last at Southport. Of a keenly sympathetic temperament, Mr BROADBENT actively interested himself in the charities more immediately identified with the church to which he belonged, and to one institution he devoted a large share of his energies, namely St George's Industrial School, West Derby Rd. While numbered amongst the most unassuming of men, his linguistic attainments were rare and his general culture high. On one occasion of the visit of Cardinal Franchi to Liverpool Mr BROADBENT enjoyed a good deal of intimacy of that Prince of the Church and subsequently the order of St Gregory the Great was conferred upon him by Pius 1X, Mr BROADBENT was 54 yrs old.

The Rev Patrick WHITE, minister of the Islington Presbyterian Church, who for 2mths has been confined to his house suffering from a painful illness, died at Manse, Islington last night. He was born in Ballyborough, County Cavan, Ireland, and was one of six sons all of whom joined the Presbyterian Church. At his native place he succeeded his father Rev Patrick WHITE in the care of a congregation over which the latter had ministered for over half a century. He was specially distinguished by his evangelical efforts there in 1859, and subsequently and is still remembered in the district with affection and gratitude. He came to Liverpool in 1873, and succeeded his brother Rev Verner WHITE who removed to London, in the ministry of the congregation over which he had charge at the time of his decease. In Liverpool his work was abundantly successful, he was secretary of "The Home" in Everton Terrace, an institution which owes much to his indefatigable exertions on its behalf. He was the means of the erection of commodious premises in Christian St for evangelistic work, and he took a large and active interest in the services held at the Albert Hall, where he frequently addressed large gatherings. A member of the Liverpool Presbytery, his loss will be felt by that body. He died aged 64, in the 38th year of his ministry. He will be interred at Anfield Cemetery on Friday next.

Fatal accident to a child

Mr BRIGHOUSE county coroner, held an inquest at Ince yesterday on the body of a boy named Thomas HOUGHTON, who was killed while playing in an empty house. The deceased and his companions were playing in the house when one of the boys displaced a beam, causing some slates to fall upon the deceased, his injuries terminating fatally. A verdict of, "Accidental death" was returned with the jury recommending the owner of the property pull the house down at once.

Attempted murder and suicide

An inquest was held at Hindley yesterday on the body of James BOYDELL, collier, who attempted to murder his wife on Friday with a poker, and afterwards drowned himself in a pond a short distance from his home. The evidence showed that the deceased had suffered from mental disease and last July was removed to the Wigan Workhouse as an imbecile, but was discharged as cured. The wife, although evidently suffering great pain, was able to appear at the inquest, but the coroner did not trouble her for any lengthy statement. "Verdict, "Committed suicide whilst of unsound mind"

Coroner's inquests, Mon Nov 8th, before Mr C. ASPINALL, Coroner of Liverpool

On the body of Jonathan HARRIS, aged 33, a labourer of 9 Sophia Terrace, Sophia St. On Wednesday afternoon the deceased was crossing Runford St in front of a cotton-laden waggon which was turning into the street out of Chapel St, when he slipped and fell, one of the wheels of the waggon passed over his leg, he was at once taken to the Northern Hospital where he died on Friday afternoon. Verdict, "Accidental death."

On the body of Ralph Albert DAVIES, aged 38, a carter of Aigburth St. On Friday last Robert HARRIS, the driver of a parcels van met a coal cart in Botanic Rd, and on passing it saw the deceased lying on the ground, one of the wheels of the cart having evidently passed over him. He was taken to the Royal Infirmary, being badly crushed about the head and unconscious. He died at the Royal Infirmary the same day. Verdict, "Accidental death."

On the body of Thomas BARNFATHER, aged 24, a carter, of 193 Netherfield Rd. On Friday evening he was engaged delivering some barrels of dried hams at Messers M'KIBBIN and CORDUKE'S warehouse, North John St, when a plank falling from a scaffold struck him on the head and killed him. The scaffold had been used during the day by some plasterers engaged in re-pointing the wall of the warehouse, and it was supposed that the plank not having been lashed was knocked down by the swaying of the fall rope of the hoist. The jury returned a verdict of , "Accidental death." but expressed the opinion that the plasterers had been guilty of great carelessness in not having properly secure the plank

Before Mr S. BRIGHOUSE, Coroner for South-west Lancashire

On the body of William Frederick HUNT, aged 23, a flatman connected with the flat St Helens. On Saturday night, the deceased, stated to have been under the influence of drink, fell into the Brocklebank Dock whilst climbing the side of a slip which was lying between his flat and the quay. The watchman of the ship was lowered into the dock and attempted to save the deceased, who, however, sank before he could be reached. The body was recovered the next day by means of grappling irons. Verdict, "Accidental death."

Liverpool Mercury, December 3rd, 1886

Melancholy Casualty on the Mersey

About 5.30am yesterday two fishermen were proceeding along the shore between Tranmere and Rock Ferry when they found the bodies of Archibald PERKINS and Thomas RICHARDS, both of whom were in charge of the Mersey Docks and Harbour Board duplicate lightship, which is moored in the Sloyne. Close to the bodies was the punt of the lightship, bottom upwards, which had evidently capsized with them in the severe gale which prevailed on Wednesday night. It is not known whether the unfortunate men were going to or returning from the lightship when the accident occurred. Both men were married and reside on the Liverpool side of the river at the south end. PERKINS a man of upwards of 40 years of age had no family, but RICHARDS aged 38 or 39 years, leaves a widow and several children.


Copright 2010 - To date