Liverpool Mercury Jan 6th 1876

Coroners inquests before Mr C. ASPINALL, borough coroner

On the body of John RADLEY, aged about 62, a porter, who lodged at 3 court, Pownall St. He left his lodgings between 7 and 8 on Saturday evening, on the following morning at 8.30 his body was found lying in the mud near the wall of the King's Pierhead. There was a cut on the back of his head.. Verdict, "Found drowned", how he got in the river and under what circumstances he was injured there was no evidence to show.

On the body of Stephen MASON, aged 59, car driver, who lived in a cellar at 50 Oliver St. Verdict, "Died from natural causes accelerated by drink"

On the body of Charlotte MERCER, aged 3mths, the daughter of a miller of 10 Lydia Ann St. Verdict, "Accidentally suffocated."

On the body of Ada BECKETT, aged 9wks, daughter of a shipwright of 4 St Tudno View, Everton-terrace. Verdict, "Accidentally suffocated in bed."

On the body of Mary HODGSON, aged 32, wife of a cotton porter of 53 Regent Rd. On Christmas Eve she came home drunk and fell downstairs sustaining injuries which caused her death on Sunday morning last.. The jury found that death was due to spinal concussion, but how caused there was no evidence to show


Liverpool Mercury Jan 7th 1876

Coroners inquests before Mr C. ASPINALL, borough coroner

On the body of Brian Francis NOWLAN, aged 22, a joiner who lived with his mother in Blandford St. On Christmas Day the deceased was drinking with some companions and had a tussle with a man called Edward HAYDON. He afterwards complained of pain in the head and said he had been kicked by HAYDON. He went to bed that night and was taken ill, he died on Monday. The alleged kicking was now denied and the medical evidence showed that death had resulted from Typhoid fever, and pneumonia, from natural causes. Verdict accordingly.

On the body of Edmund HODGSON, aged 50, freight clerk, of Edge Ware St. On Monday the deceased was eating his dinner on board the barque Albion in the Wapping Basin, when he was choked by a large piece of meat he was endeavouring to swallow. Verdict, "Accidentally suffocated."

On the body of Henry MOORCROFT, aged 34, public-house manager, out of place, who lately resided with his sister at a public-house in Cockspur St. On Monday evening the deceased was in Islington, when he suddenly staggered and fell, he died within a few minutes. The medical evidence showed death was due to natural causes. Verdict accordingly.

On the body of William DAWSON, whose remains were found floating in the river on Monday, an open verdict was returned.

On the body of Robert MARSHALL, labourer, aged about 40, of 5 Gaskill St. He was employed by Messers W. O. and J. WILSON'S, flour mill, Mill St. On Tuesday he was engaged attaching sacks to the fall-rope of a pulley by which the sacks were being hoisted from the bottom to the top floor of the mill. The rope was about a month old. On Saturday part of the rope which had become chafed was cut out and the ends spliced. On Monday the splice "drew" a little and the rope was respliced, the splice now being increased several inches in length. On Tuesday after a large number of sacks had been hoisted, the splice gave way after a sack was being raised, and the sack fell on the deceased and killed him. The splicing was done by Richard KEGAN, a rigger. A verdict was returned that the death of the deceased was caused by the falling of a sack consequent upon an imperfect splice in the fall-rope.


Liverpool Mercury Jan 10th 1876

Coroners inquests before Mr C. ASPINALL, borough coroner

On the body of a new-born female child of Elizabeth KELLY, who lodged in 17 court, Gascoyne St. The child was born on the 3rd inst and a few hours afterwards was found lying dead by the mother. Verdict, "Found suffocated"

On the body of John MYERS, aged 60, a blacksmith of Hopwood St. On the 6th inst the deceased was found in an insensible state in Athol St, he died in a few minutes. Medical evidence showed that death was due to heart disease and congestion of the lungs. Verdict, "Died from natural causes".

On the body of Nancy INNIS, aged 65, a widow of 5 court, Atherton St. Since the death of her husband 18mths ago the deceased had been "peculiar in her ways and talk" but more noticeably over the last two months. A few weeks ago she fell and sprained her ankle, and was in the Workhouse Hospital until the 1st inst, since then she had been in a low state of mind. On the 7th inst she went out of the house, but soon returned, and shortly afterwards she called her sister, to whom she said, "I have done it." She died before she could be removed to hospital. Several labels bearing the word "poison" were found in her room. The medical evidence was to the effect that death had resulted from poison. A verdict that the deceased had committed suicide while labouring under temporary insanity was returned.

On the body of Michael M'DONOUGH, aged 38, dock labourer of Kitchen St, Mr PARKINSON watched on behalf of John JONES stevedore. On the 7th inst the deceased was employed in breaking cotton out of the hold of the steamer Brunswick in the Brunswick Dock, by means of a gin hooked to a boom above. While sending up a bale of cotton, the hook broke, and the gin dropped from the boom on to the deceased striking him between the shoulders. He died from his injuries the same night. The strain on the hook was about a ton and Mr Joseph DAVIDSON, the blacksmith who made the hook for Mr JONES, said it was a good one and ought to have lifted 2 0r 3 tons. John OWEN, a blacksmith from Messers Bennett Brothers, said the hook had broken in consequence of the inner part of it not being solid, and being made of "loose iron" but said a man might reasonably pass such a hook. Josiah TOMAS, marine surveyor to the Liverpool and Maryland Steamship Company, the owners of the Brunswick, was of the opinion that the hook was a good one, but that there was undue pressure put on it. The jury found that the deceased met his death through the falling of the gin upon him, and that the hook broke through too great a pressure being put upon it. The coroner awarded the widow 1 from the poorbox, and it was stated on behalf of the stevedore and owners of the ship that they would also aid the widow.


Liverpool Mercury Jan 19th 1876

Coroners inquests before Mr C. ASPINALL, borough coroner

On the body of William COOK, aged 2, the son of a riveter of 30 Juliet St On Friday night the deceased was burned along one side of the body during the absence of his mother, it is thought the child pulled a candle of the chimneypiece while standing on a chair. He died on Saturday. Verdict, "Accidental death."

On the body of John MAHONEY, aged 3, the son of a painter, 30 Barmouth St. During the temporary absence of his mother on Saturday the child was burned about the face and hands, he died on Sunday morning. Verdict, "Accidentally burned"

On the body of Henry MILLER, aged 7, son of a joiner of, of 40 Great Richmond St. About 4mths ago the boy was injured by a lorry in Cazneau St, he was in the care of the dispensary doctor until the time of his death on Saturday last. Verdict, "Accidental death."

On the body of John DOWD, aged 36, dock labourer, whose widow resides in Snowdon St. On Saturday afternoon the deceased, a sober man and suffered from heart disease was taken ill in Athol St, and died almost immediately. Verdict, "Death from syncope from heart disease"

On the body of Mary CONROY, aged 53, wife of a labourer of Kew St. The deceased was of intemperate habits and would drink all she could get. On Saturday she was in bed all day, in drink, her husband supplied her with three glasses of rum. On Saturday afternoon she was found dead Verdict, "Died from the effects of excessive drinking"

On the body of Thomas Joseph GILL, aged 30, a police officer, of Walton Rd, on 12th inst deceased was riding on a tram car going home. He jumped off the car and fell on his back, the wheels went over his leg. He was taken to the Stanley Hospital where he died on Saturday. He had told his wife he was under the impression there was a step to the front of the car whereas there was not. No blame was attached to the driver. Verdict, "Accidental death." The coroner subscribed 2-1s-6d in aid of the widow of the deceased


Liverpool Mercury Jan 20th 1876

Coroners inquests before Mr C. ASPINALL, borough coroner

On the body of Mary Ann DUNLEVEY, aged about 35, a basketwoman, who lodged in Eaton St. The deceased was a drunken woman and went home intoxicated on the night of the 14th inst. A few hours afterwards her moans attracted attention she was found lying in the street. She said she must have jumped from a garret window when under the influence of a nightmare. She received injuries to her head from which she died on Sunday. Verdict, "Died from injuries caused by jumping from a garret window whilst under temporary mental derangement brought on by excessive drinking."

On the body of Mary MOLLOY, aged 5, the daughter of a labourer of Cherry Lane. On Saturday night the deceased was put to bed, but, she appears to have got up and was found in the kitchen with her clothes in flames. She was burned about the neck, limbs and chest and died the next day from her injuries. Verdict, "Accidentally burned."

On the body of Annie PEACOCK, aged 3, daughter of a marine fireman, who resides in a court off Hornby St. On Sunday the deceased's nightdress caught fire, and she was burned about the body, she died from her injuries the same night. Verdict, "Accidentally burned."

On the body of Susannah DUNN, aged 1mth, daughter of a dock labourer of Vauxhall Rd. On Sunday morning the deceased was found dead in bed. Verdict, "Accidentally suffocated"

On the body of Ann MORAN, aged 54, of 22 Banastre St. On the evening of Saturday week the clothes of the deceased caught fire while taking a kettle off the hob, she was so severely burned she died at the Northern Hospital on Tuesday morning. Verdict, "Accidentally burned."

On the body of John William QUINIAN, aged 10wks the son of a sailor living in Calvin St. On Sunday morning the deceased was found dead in bed. Verdict, "Accidentally suffocated"

On the body of William ETTLES, aged 65, shipkeeper, of 6 court, Northumberland St. On Saturday afternoon he went to keep watch of the steamer Senegal lying in the Coburg Dock and on Sunday morning his daughter found him lying dead on the galley floor with his face against the stove door. The medical evidence showed that death was due to natural causes. Jury returned a verdict accordingly.


Liverpool Mercury Feb 7th 1876

Coroners inquests before Mr C. ASPINALL, borough coroner

On the body of Henry M'KEOWN, aged 37, umbrella mender, of 9 court, Combermere St. On the evening of Saturday the 29th ult whilst he was in drink, he was knocked down and run over by a horse and cab in Bold St, and sustained injuries which resulted in his death on Thursday. Verdict, "Accidental death."

On the body of James M'CLEAN, aged 6wks, the son of George M'CLEAN, a joiner of 40 Tindall St. The mother of the child found the child dead in bed with her on Friday morning. Verdict, "Found dead and died from suffocation, but how caused there is not sufficient evidence to show."

On the body of John RENNINGTON, aged 5mths, son of a dock labourer of 10 court, Henderson St. The mother of the child found the child dead in bed with her on Wednesday morning. Verdict, "Found dead and died from suffocation, but how caused there is not sufficient evidence to show."


Liverpool Mercury Feb 7th 1876

Shocking domestic tragedy in Liverpool

On Saturday last an inquest was held before Mr Clarke ASPINALL, borough coroner, on the body of William HIGGINS, alias JONES, shoemaker and leather cutter, Walton Rd, who on Thursday committed suicide by cutting his throat, after beating his wife so severely that her life is despaired of.

Following evidence given :-

Hannah O'BRIEN, the wife of a cabdriver, of 46 Robsart St, said she had known the deceased and his wife for some years. The name of the deceased was William JONES, though he went by the name of William HIGGINS. HIGGINS was his wife's maiden name. They came from London to Liverpool John EDWARDS, a shoemaker, living at the Model Lodging Hose, St Anne St, had known the deceased for 12mths and had worked for him twice for 3mths at a time. He understood his name to be William HIGGINS. He was a master shoemaker, carrying on business at 154 Walton Rd, and was about 45yrs of age. He had a wife and two children, a boy aged 7 and a girl aged 9. He was a man given to taking "sprees" of drinking. 9mths ago he was delirious and under a doctor. He had been drinking day and night for the past 3wks, but he had been attending to his business during the day. He had the drink in the shop. On Monday last he told the witness that he was very bad from the drink and could not sleep. He was very uneasy, and at his request the witness left his work and went for a walk with him. They went about 9 miles into the country. On Tuesday he said he was better and went back to business. He did not drink anything on Monday or Tuesday, and on Wednesday complained again of the want of rest. That night he went with the witness to the model lodging house, but he had a room to himself. He had no drink during the day. Witness was at the shop 2hrs before him on Thursday morning. When deceased arrived, the witness asked him what time he got up, and he said 10am. He went and got something to eat and when he returned he told the witness to finish off and pack up.

Witness asked him what for and he said, "I am going to smash the place up"

Just before this the witness heard him say to his wife, "You have done it."

These were all the words he heard between them. About 12.30 deceased went into the kitchen from the shop, and his wife followed him. Five minutes afterwards witness heard the wife scream twice and say, "Oh he is killing me"

He went at once to the kitchen door, and saw the deceased with a rolling pin in his hand. His wife was lying down on the side of the bed.

Witness called out, "Higgins don't touch her" and the deceased turned as if to strike him with the rolling pin.

Witness went for a policeman and was away about half an hour. When he returned the police were in the shop and the deceased's wife had been taken to hospital The deceased himself was dead with his throat cut. All week he had been thinking that the deceased was not right, he looked ill. When the deceased was sober he lived quietly with his wife. During the walk on Monday deceased paid for some beer for the witness, but he would have none for himself. He looked nervous, as if he had been drinking. He was always very depressed after drinking.

Timothy GREY, a carter of 148A Scotland Rd, said he had known the deceased 4 or 5 yrs, he used to go on drinking sprees for 4 or 5wks together. On Thursday last, whilst at his dinner, witness heard a noise in the street, went out and saw a crowd at the deceased's door. He went into the kitchen and saw the deceased strike his wife in the face with a poker. They both fell to the floor. She called out, "Oh Mr GREY, thank God you have come to save my life." He caught hold of her and pulled her away from the deceased, and put her in the shop on a chair. He then picked up the deceased who was puffing and blowing very much, and was saturated with blood. He called out for a drink, and witness gave him some water and got him on the bed. He was only absent 3 or 4 mins and on his return found the deceased in the kitchen with his throat cut. He could not speak, and lived for only 3 or 4 mins. A doctor was called who pronounced him dead. There was a knife covered with blood at the foot of the bed.

Samuel GRACEY, PC 580, said he was called in to the deceased at 1.15 on Thursday and found him dead with his throat cut, his wife had been taken to hospital.

The jury returned a verdict to the effect that the deceased committed suicide during temporary insanity, brought on by excessive drinking


Liverpool Mercury Feb 18th 1876

Coroners inquests before Mr C. ASPINALL, borough coroner

On the body of Margaret DIGNUM, aged 56, of 1 court, Thurlow St. She was found dead in bed on Tuesday morning, and a surgeon who was called was of the opinion that death was due to natural causes. A verdict to that effect was returned.

On the body of James DAVIES, aged 4, the son of a labourer of 4 court Mann St. Deceased was left alone for a few minutes on Tuesday evening in the kitchen, when his mother returned she found him severely burned. He was immediately taken to the Southern Hospital where he died on Wednesday. Verdict, "Accidental death."

On the body of William M'CARTHY, aged 50, of 77 Crown St, in the employ of the Liverpool Steamtug Company as a bookkeeper. The deceased was a passenger on an omnibus on the afternoon of the 13th Jan, and when he was getting out of the vehicle in Oxford St, he slipped and fell. Upon returning home the same evening he complained of being shaken by the fall. He went into town however, the following morning, but returned home rather earlier than usual in the afternoon and from that time was confined to bed. He died on Monday. It appeared about 12mths since he suffered from a slight discharge of blood from his left lung. Dr A. SAMUELS who had attended him, said he was of the opinion the deceased died from bleeding from the lungs which he had previously suffered. There was nothing in the symptoms to suggest that death had resulted from other than natural causes. He thought a fall or shock might, in the deceased condition, have predisposed him to a recurrence of the bleeding. Mr SUTTON watched the inquiry for the friends of the deceased, and Mr BREMNER for the omnibus company. The jury found that the deceased had died from haemorrhage of the lungs from which he had previously suffered, but whether or not his death was accelerated by the shock occasioned by the fall from the step of the omnibus the evidence was not sufficient to show. Also the evidence as to his fall was some what conflicting, and did not justify them in expressing an opinion as to whether or not any one was to blame for what occurred.


Liverpool Mercury Aug 22nd, 1876

An inquest was held yesterday at Birkenhead before Mr Henry CHURTON, on the body of John GRIFFITHS, aged 16, of Burnley St, Everton who drowned in the Alfred Dock on Sunday afternoon. The deceased whilst watching two of his companions bathing in the dock, fell from the steps into the water, although every exertion was made to rescue him he sank and was drowned. Verdict, "Accidentally drowned."

An inquest was held yesterday before Mr Henry CHURTON, on the body of Edward WARD of the Old Calabar, beerhouse, Higher Tranmere which was found in the river off New Ferry on Sunday. The deceased, who had been in a low state of mind, disappeared from his home on 3rd January last, and nothing further was heard of him until his body was found in the river. The jury returned a verdict of "Found dead" Mr WARD had been for many years been in the employ of Messers Allsopp and Sons brewers, and was much respected by a large circle of friends

Yesterday afternoon between 4 and 5, a horse and trap belonging to the Birkenhead Brewery Company was left standing in charge of a boy in Cathcart St, whilst Mr MARTIN, a traveller went into a public house on business. During Mr MARTIN'S absence the horse took fright and bolted off at a rapid pace, proceeding down Bentinck St, where it knocked down Alfred TUSHINGHAM aged 16mths, son of William TUSHINGHAM a resident of that thoroughfare. The vehicle passed over the child and he was killed on the spot. After galloping through several streets and alarming the inhabitants the horse was stopped close to the Halfway public house, Beaufort St by a man named CAREY.

Yesterday at the Widnes police court Elizabeth LARGE was charged with causing the death of her infant son, George LARGE, aged 9mths. It is stated that the prisoner put the child to bed at 6pm on Saturday and went out, she was seen drinking at various public houses. At 10.50pm drink was refused her and at 2am she was seen by her son William aged 10, and her mother, with whom she resided. Mrs YATES asked her to go into the house but she refused, and took her son and went into a closet. About 7am she returned and asked her mother to bring the child downstairs. The mother replied it was not there and she must have taken it out with her the previous evening. She asked her where she had been sleeping and on telling her she had been in the closet the mother made a search and found the dead child lying beneath the seat in about 10inches of water. The body was examined by Dr KING, who certified that it had died from suffocation. No marks of violence were on the body. The prisoner was remanded pending an inquest.

On Sunday Henry Charles PATTERSON aged 10, of Shepherd St, Preston, was drowned while bathing at Longton Marsh.


Liverpool Mercury Aug 24th, 1876

A Welsh Captain poisoned

Captain DAVIES, master of the schooner Ocean Child of Portmadoc died on Tuesday from the effects of drinking paraffin oil. Some time ago the war vessel Turkestan, bound to Liverpool stranded on the beach near Harlech, and in May the wreck was purchased by Messers Williams iron founders, Portmadoc. Captain DAVIES was assisting to float the hull by the Monday afternoon tide, and, mistaking for water a bottle containing paraffin oil used for lighting the lamps, he inadvertently drank a quantity of the contents. He lingered in great agony until the following day, when death terminated his sufferings.


Liverpool Mercury Sept 4th, 1876

On Friday evening a musician, William FITZGERALD, fell down dead at the Southport, pier-head, near the refreshment rooms. Deceased was one of a company of three who had been playing on the pier for about a month. It is believed death was caused by apoplexy of disease of the heart.


Liverpool Mercury Sept 12th, 1876

Fatal accident at Bootle

Yesterday Mr C. E. DRIIFFIELD held an inquest at the Dolphin Hotel, Bootle, on the body of Michael MARTIN, aged 50, who died from injuries he received at the Bootle Hospital. The deceased was one of four men in charge of a hay-cutting machine belonging to Messers MONK and NEWELL contractors of Bootle, and on Wednesday last while, it is supposed, walking over some sacks to fetch a strap, slipped and became entangled in another strap attached to a drum, and one of his arms was literally pulled out of the socket. He was taken to the Bootle Hospital where he lingered till Friday when he died. Verdict, "Accidental death."

Death of Captain BOURNE

Our obituary on Monday contained an announcement of the demise of Captain James Thomas BOURNE of this town after a brief illness. It appears the deceased who was captain of the 2nd Royal Lancashire Militia, had been apparently in good health up to the early part of last week, when he complained of being unwell, and went to Colwyn, North Wales, for a change of air. A sudden unfavourable change in his illness took place and he died on Saturday. The deceased had been a magistrate of the county since October, 1848.


Liverpool Mercury, Nov 14th 1876

Sudden death at Garston

Edward TIPPING, horsekeeper, went to his home in Beechwood Rd on Friday night and lay down in his clothes on the sofa. About 7am next morning he was found dead. He had been suffering for some time from a complaint of the chest, there is no reason to suppose his death was a result of other than natural causes.

The death of Mr Henry PHILLIPS

Although several years have past since his last appearance in public, this once highly popular dramatic vocalist was so closely linked with the lyrical successes of the stage in the days of a younger generation that something more is due to memory than a bare obituary record. Henry PHILLIPS, the son of a professor of music, was born at the commencement of the century, and aged 23, succeeded in obtaining an engagement at the Lyceum Theatre, then under the management of Mr ARNOLD. At this establishment he remained many successive seasons playing subordinate characters in musical pieces and gradually worked his way to distinction. It was chiefly through his strong recommendation that Mr John BARNETT'S opera of "The Mountain Sylph" was produced at the Lyceum in August, 1834, and it was as Hela the wizard that he sang "Farewell to the Mountain" which obtained enormous popularity. At Covent Garden and Drury Lane Theatres he filled a prominent position, from 1829 to 1848 and his association with the operas of "Gustavus 111" "Amilie", "The Seige of Rochelle", "The Maid of Artois" and "The Gipsy's Warning" will especially be remember. After his retirement from the stage he chiefly devoted himself to musical tuition, continuing his lessons within a short time of his decease which took place last week at Dalston, in his 76th year.

Death from Hydrophobia at St Helens

On Saturday night Peter Milrees CROSS, aged 47, died from the effects of a bite from a dog. It appears about 10 months ago the deceased was bitten on the leg by a little dog at Sutton. He at once went to a druggist who cauterised the wound, the wound healed and he suffered no ill effects until about a month ago, when he complained of pains in the head, which increased up until Wednesday last when he was unable to go to work. He ate little food and that night the mention of water threw him into convulsions. He was attended by Drs TWYFORD and MARTIN, who gave it as their opinion that death was due to hydrophobia.

Determined suicide

On Saturday Mr C. E. DRIFFIELD county coroner held an inquest at the Rock Hotel, Redrock St, West Derby Rd, into the cause of death of Samuel Motley BARTLETT, aged 59, who lodged with a Mrs M'CORMACK, at 54 Redrock St. It appears the deceased suffered from chronic bronchitis and rheumatic fever, but had quite recovered. On Thursday last after the deceased had been out and returned for dinner of roast pork, he went upstairs to lie down taking with him two half pints of beer. Shortly before 4am he was found suffering from the effects of poison, and when Dr A. C. WALKER was called in the deceased admitted that he had taken a 6d packet of Battle's vermin powder. Every effort was made to counteract the effect of the poison, but the deceased expired a few minutes afterwards. A post mortem showed that death was due to strychnine poisoning. Deceased had been drinking previously and had stated he was suffering from delirium tremens. After his death a document dated November 6th 1876, was found under his bed. It was as follows:-

"To Mrs M'CORMACK, You may find me a corpse in the morning. Please send my overcoat to Mr ? and I will sell all I can to pay the difference. May God forgive me for the sins I am about to commit. A self-murderer is the greatest of muderers. I cannot help it, I cannot live without you."

The deceased had offered to marry his landlady, but in consequence of his misconduct she had given him notice to leave, and that notice expired on the day on which he committed suicide. The jury returned a verdict of "destroyed himself in a fit of temporary insanity."

Shocking fatality on board the Formby Lightship

Yesterday the Liverpool coroner Mr ASPINALL held an inquest at the police-building Dale St, touching the death of Thomas CALLOWAY, a seaman, who lived in Modrell St. The deceased was one of the crew of the Formby Lightship. A muzzle-loading single-barrelled gun, belonging to the mate is kept on board the vessel, and on Friday, Robert THOMAS, one of the crew, used it for shooting seagulls and wild ducks. After firing it three times, THOMAS loaded the gun with shot and laid it down upon a water tank in the 'tween decks, at the fore part of the ship. He said in his evidence he was not sure whether he capped the piece or not. He was, however, quite sure it was not cocked, that, in fact, the cock was close down upon the nipple. THOMAS went on deck to speak to the mate. Whilst he was so engaged William James OGLEBY, a seaman, picked up the gun to examine it. The gun went off in his hands, and the contents entered the head of Thomas CALLOWAY, who was sitting a few yards from the spot. The poor fellow was killed instantly. OGELBY in his evidence, said the gun went off before he had, had, time to look at it. He could not say where his fingers were upon the gun, he could not say whether it was full-cock or half-cock, or whether the cock was down upon the nipple. He did not put a cap on. OGLEBY'S evidence was confirmed by that of John COOPER, lamp-trimmer, who was present when the weapon exploded. He said that OGLEBY was in the act of turning to the light when the gun went off, he held the gun with both hands about level with his hips, but neither hand was on the trigger. He did not put the weapon to his shoulder, he simply lifted off the tank, and as he turned it exploded. The jury returned a verdict of "Accidental death" and expressed the opinion that Robert THOMAS was guilty of carelessness in leaving the gun loaded in the position in which OGLEBY found it.

2011 all rights reserved