Liverpool Mercury Jan 2nd 1871

Coroners inquests before Mr Clarke ASPINALL, borough coroner on Saturday

On the body of Mary Jane M'LOUGHLAN, aged 28, an "unfortunate" living in Skirving St. For some years she had been a heavy drinker, on Thursday she fell off the chair by the fire and died within a few minutes. The jury returned a verdict that death had resulted from natural causes, accelerated by excessive drinking.

On the body of Edwin SMITH, aged 15, son of a rigger of Cooper St. Deceased was out playing on Thursday till 10pm, and when he went home he shivered very much and complained of the cold. He was put to bed and experienced difficulty in breathing, complaining of a pain in his chest. Although every effort was used to relieve him, he died shortly after midnight. The jury returned a verdict that death had resulted from natural causes.

On the body of Robert CORLETT, aged 44, a pork butcher, carrying on business in Kirkdale Rd. He had formerly practised as an attorney in the United States, and he came to this country from Malta a few months since. He was a "free drinker" and after his drinking he sometimes took chlorodine, which occasionally made him ill. For 7 or 8 days he had been drinking hard and was found dead in bed on Friday morning. A post mortem examination was made which showed that death was the result of apoplexy induced by excessive drinking, verdict accordingly.

On the body of William POWER, aged 63, stonemason, of Canterbury Terrace, Minshall St. Deceased suffered from Asthma and a cough, and on Friday morning was found dead in bed. The jury returned a verdict that death had resulted from natural causes.


Liverpool Mercury Jan 3rd 1871

Coroners inquests before Mr Clarke ASPINALL, borough coroner

On the body of Elizabeth COPE, aged 77, a widow of 25 Back Beau St. Deceased lived alone and received 3s a week from the parish, was last seen alive late on Wednesday night. The neighbours thought there was something wrong as she did not appear, and on Friday the police were called, who got into the house by means of a ladder to a window, and found the old woman dead. On searching the house the police found various sums of money amounting in all to £18-19s-1d. It was stated the deceased had been ailing for some time. Verdict, "Died from natural causes."

On the body of William Henry DAVENPORT, aged 39, a railway canvasser, of 58 Orient St. On Friday last he left home in the morning and at 8pm the same night was seen standing on the bridge on the George's Dock when a vessel was passing through into the gut. The deceased walked up the quay towards the Canning Dock, and was seen to fall forward into the gut. A lifebuoy was thrown to him, but he made no attempt to take hold of it. He was immediately afterwards picked out of the water and was removed to the receiving house, but he never recovered, and on arrival of the doctor life was pronounced extinct. The deceased appeared under the influence of drink just before his fall. Verdict, "Accidentally drowned."

On the body of William WOODS, aged 36, a porter in the parcel office at Tithbarn St, station who lived at 72 Priory Grove. Late on Saturday night the deceased who was short sighted, got off the platform to cross the line, when he was knocked down by an Ormskirk train moving slowly into the station. The engine and three carriages passed over him before the train was stopped, and when picked up he was quite dead, the body being very much mangled. Verdict, "Accidental death."


Liverpool Mercury Jan 4th 1871

Coroners inquests before Mr Clarke ASPINALL, borough coroner

On the body of Peter JENKINSON, aged 26, a porter at the Great Northern railway station, Brunswick Dock, of 63 Northumberland St. On the 28th ult he was working at the cotton kiln, removing bales of cotton, when he suddenly complained of being ill, and said he thought he had twisted or strained himself. He seemed unable to walk and was taken home in a cab. He was afterwards taken to the Southern Hospital where he died on Sunday. The jury returned a verdict that he died from the effects of overstraining himself. Mrs JENKINSON who was in totally destitute circumstances, received a sovereign by the direction of the coroner from the poor box.

On the body of Richard BENNETT, aged 33 a master rigger of 75 Opie St. On Thursday last the deceased and some of his men were working on board the ship William Wilson in the Queens Dock, unshipping the rudder by means of tackle attached to a spanker-boom, supported by shear-legs, and abutting against the mast. There was no lashing or other fastening to keep it in place. Two men were heaving at the winch on the main deck, and the deceased was on the poop looking over the stern to see when the rudder was high enough. Suddenly the end of the spanker-boom gave way from the mast and went aft, owing to the strain of the tackle there being nothing to hold it. The shear-legs fell against the deceased and crushed him against the rail. He was severely injured and died at the Southern Hospital on Sunday night. Verdict "Accidental death."


Liverpool Mercury Jan 6th 1871

Coroners inquests before Mr C. ASPINALL, borough coroner

On the body of Catherine JACOB, aged 12 mths, daughter of a plumber of 46 Paul St. On Tuesday afternoon last week the mother of the deceased was sitting at the fire with the child on her knee, when she fell asleep and the child fell on the bars of the grate, there being a good fire at the time. The child was severely burned on the side of the face and died from the effects of the burns on Tuesday. The mother who gave evidence had a black eye, in answer to the coroner, she said her husband gave it to her on the day the child was burnt, she was to blame. Verdict, an open verdict of "Found burnt"

On the body of Mary JONES, aged 6, the child of a marble mason of 34 Danson St. Who died from the effects of severe burns, at the Royal Infirmary on Wednesday morning. The deceased was left with two younger children in a room where there was a fire on Tuesday, and some time after was found with her clothes in flames. There was no evidence hoe she caught fire. Verdict, "Accidental death."

On the body of James PAUL, aged 50, a scavenger, and pensioner from the army lodging at 9 Linden St. The deceased was addicted to the excessive indulgence of spirits. After getting his money on Monday last he began drinking hard, and was very drunk when he returned to his lodgings that night. He refused to go to bed and was left sitting in a chair at 2am, he appears to have gone to bed, and was found dead there at 7pm the next evening. The landlady had sent her little boy several times to the deceased's room during the day, and each time he returned stating that he was asleep. He was in the habit of lying in bed all day after hard drinking, therefore the witness was not alarmed. When he returned on Monday the deceased told the witness he had, had, 14 glasses of port wine, and a quantity of whiskey. Verdict, "Death from natural causes, accelerated by excessive drinking."


Liverpool Mercury Jan 7th 1871

Coroners inquests before Mr Clarke ASPINALL, borough coroner

On the body of William James CALLENDER, aged 3, son of a cashier in the merchant's office, who resides at 13 Landseer St, Everton. About 9am on Tuesday the deceased and three other children of the family were in the kitchen, when the servant filled a teapot with boiling water and put it on the fender. Deceased was on the hearth at the time. The servant went into the kitchen and as she returned saw the deceased putting down the teapot. He screamed and she asked him what he had done. He said, "Drink" and pointed to the teapot. His lips were blistered and his mother gave him a drink of milk. He ceased crying and played about until dinner time, when it was found he could not swallow very well. Next day three doctors performed an operation, after which the child seemed easier. He became worse on Thursday morning and died shortly before 7am. The jury returned a verdict that death was the result of inflammation of the trachea and lungs, consequent upon swallowing hot tea.

On the body of William HERON, aged 63, brush manufacturer of 349 Scotland Rd. It was stated he was addicted to drink, taking it more or less every day, but occasionally he would have a week's spree. He began a spree of drinking the day after Christmas, and continued at it till Tuesday last being drunk every day. He was mostly in bed during the week, that is drinking in bed, a servant and assistant taking him the liquor. He drank half a dozen glasses or more of spirits a day, and was unable to eat much. He was last seen alive at 8.30pm on Tuesday night, and was found dead in bed half an hour afterwards. He lay in bed wearing a waistcoat, pair of drawers, stockings and gloves. He talked a great deal to himself as if his mind was affected, a doctor had warned him against drinking too much. Dr HENDRY made a post mortem examination and found all the organs of the body diseased, the heart was so bad as to cause death in itself, the stomach very much congested through hard drinking. The jury returned a verdict that death had resulted from natural causes, accelerated by excessive drinking.

On the body of Catherine GERRARD, aged 29, wife of a labourer, of 1 court, Combermere St. The husband stated she was a healthy woman and they had been married over 9yrs. 6mths after the marriage she gave way to drinking habits, and had continued ever since. For the last month she had been drinking continually every day. She principally drank ale but two days before her death she took to spirits She was in drink on Wednesday, and when he went home in the evening she was in bed, he could not rouse her at first but within an hour she became conscious and complained of her head. She was very drunk and in bed dressed. Shortly afterwards she fell off the bed to the floor, became insensible and died shortly afterwards. Verdict, "Died from excessive drinking."


Liverpool Mercury Jan 10th 1871

Coroners inquests before Mr Clarke ASPINALL, borough coroner

On the body of James DRAPER, aged 55, coach wheeler, of Ebenezer Terrace, Netherfield Rd, South. The deceased had been suffering for a cough for some time, and on the 26th of last month, whilst rising from his chair fell against the back of another chair, and injured his ribs, he died on Friday last. Verdict, "Accidental death."

On the body of Thomas COSGROVE, aged 4, the son of a shoemaker of Peach St. On the night of Monday the 2nd inst the deceased was left by his mother in the kitchen, he having only his nightshirt on, while she went upstairs. Hearing screams she ran down stairs, and found the child with his nightshirt in flames. He was severely burned and died on Saturday last. Verdict "Accidental death."

On the body of Patrick CONNOR, aged 20, a dock labourer who lived with his parents in Lander St. On the 31st of August last he was discharging grain from the steamer Bohemian, in the Huskisson Branch Dock, the sacks being hoisted by a steam winch. As one of the sacks was being hoisted it struck against the lower combing and broke the "nipper" and the sack fell on the screw-shaft tunnel, and then on the deceased, causing injuries to his legs, from which he died in the Northern Hospital on the 6th inst. Verdict, "Accidental death." the jury presenting that in a vessel where a permanent obstacle like a screw tunnel existed, it would be safer to have a guide rope for hoisting over it, there was negligence on those superintending the work.

On the body of Daniel WILD, aged 50, a bookkeeper , who lodged in Bute St. The deceased was sometimes very intemperate and on the 28th of last month he gave way to these habits. On Wednesday last he was locked up for being drunk and incapable in Scotland Rd. Whilst being conveyed to Rose hill bride well by two officers he slipped and fell upon his knees. On the following morning he was taken before the magistrates, and when he arrived home he said he was ill and had been ill-treated by the police. He died on Saturday last. Dr GRAHAM made a post mortem examination and found death had resulted from a rupture caused by a fall. The jury acquitted the police of all blame, verdict, "Accidental death."


Liverpool Mercury Jan 14th 1871

Coroners inquests before Mr Clarke ASPINALL, borough coroner

On the body of Charles Henry BURT, aged 4, the son of a cabinetmaker of 4 Vine Place, Walnut St. On Thursday the deceased was left alone in a room where there was a fire, shortly afterwards his sister found him with his clothes in flames. He was severely burned and died at the Infirmary the same evening. Verdict, "Accidentally burned."

On the body of James MORGAN, aged 30, a labourer of 34 court, Hornby St. In July last the deceased was loading railway waggons with planks at the Huskisson Dock, when he fell from the pile in stepping on the end of a plank, which tilted with him and he received injuries to his side. He was first attended by the parish doctor, then went to the Northern Hospital, and afterwards resumed work for a few days. He had to give up, however, and died on Tuesday morning. Verdict, "Accidental death."


Liverpool Mercury Jan 17th 1871

Coroners inquests before Mr Clarke ASPINALL, borough coroner

On the body of Joseph JONES, aged 73, estate agent of 6 Westminter Rd. Deceased was rather careless about his dress, and would never put on warm clothing, dressing himself scantily. On Friday night the deceased and his sister [who lived with him] both fell asleep in chairs by the fire. When she awoke she found her brother on the floor, and a man who was passing was called to lift him up, he was put back in the chair and his sister sat beside him. She did not open the shutters or door till 1.30pm on Saturday. The man who then entered found JONES dead and cold still sitting in the chair. Dr HORROCKS was called and found life extinct. He was of the opinion death was due to natural causes. Verdict accordingly.

On the body of Thomas HUGHES, about 49, a pensioner from the army and a labourer, who lodged at 39 Lace St. He was a hard drinking man and always spent his pension on drink, as well as nearly all his earnings. He took very little food. He drew his pension on the 2nd inst, and was drinking for several days after that, being locked up for one night in the bridewell. He complained of being ill all last week, and would not allow a doctor to be called, saying he could do for himself better than any doctor. When his landlady went to his room on Saturday she found him dead in bed. Verdict, "Died from natural causes accelerated by excessive drinking."

On the body of James HOLYWOOD, aged 38, painter, of 13 Cemaes St. On Friday last the deceased was working in the steamer Illyrian, in the Sandon Graving Dock, and was going along the between deck for the purpose of taking out a side light. It was very dark below as the hatches were on. While crossing the between deck he fell down the lower hatch into the hold a depth of 20ft and fractured his skull. He was removed to the Northern Hospital where he died at 9.30pm the same night. Verdict "Accidental death." the jury presenting that in working between decks it would be much safer and more prudent to have sufficient light introduced, especially when the upper hatches were on, when the darkness was greater than usual.


Liverpool Mercury Jan 18th 1871

Coroners inquests before Mr Clarke ASPINALL, borough coroner

On the body of Hannah FIELDING, aged 37, single woman, who resided with her father at 18 Crown St. During the past two years she had given way to intemperate habits, and had often drawn money belonging to her father from a building society, and spent it on drink. About 2mths ago she drew £20 in her father's name without his knowledge and spent it on drink. She became ill through the effects of drinking and continued until the 5th inst, when her sister left her in the kitchen and went upstairs. On the sister returning a few minutes later she found her with her head in the grate, in a position she could not have fallen in to, she was severely burned on the head and neck. She was pulled out and placed in a chair, but she slid off and seemed to endeavour to place herself in the same position as when found but was too weak to do so quickly. She was removed to the Royal Infirmary where she died on Saturday last. She had often expressed a wish to be dead prior to the incident. Mr W. J. CLEAVER, senior surgeon at the Royal Infirmary made a post mortem examination of the body and found a rupture of the blood vessels of the brain with much effusion. He believed it to be from an apoplectic seizure, resulting from her drinking habits, and death had been caused by the seizure accelerated by the burns on her head. A verdict in accordance with the medical evidence was given by the jury.

On the body of Matthew LYON, aged 16, of 3 Chisenhale St, a rigger boy, employed at the London and North Western Railway goods station in Great Howard St. About 9.30pm on Monday the deceased was standing near some waggons, when one was suddenly moved knocking him down. A wheel passed over his head killing him on the spot. Verdict "Accidental death."

On the body of Peter HARRISON, aged 45, dock labourer of Mann St. On Monday night he was assisting to put cargo on board the ship River Lune, lying in the Queen's Dock. Whilst carrying a case on board he missed his footing in consequence of the darkness and fell into the dock, his body was recovered half an hour afterwards. Verdict "Accidentally drowned."

On the body of Bryan LYNCH, aged 45, labourer, who lived off West Derby Rd. When drawing a handcart along Falkner St on Tuesday morning he suddenly fell down dead. Verdict, "Died from natural causes."


Liverpool Mercury Jan 20th 1871

Coroners inquests before Mr C. ASPINALL, borough coroner

On the body of Andrew DILLON, aged 44, of 5 court, Catherine Place, Birmingham. About 7.50pm on Tuesday the London train arrived at Lime St Station, it was brought to the platform at a slow pace. The deceased was in the 1st carriage from the engine and whilst the train was in motion he stepped from it to the platform holding by the door. He staggered and fell between the carriage and the platform. He was caught by the steps of the next carriage, and his legs were twisted over the line, two carriages passing over them. His left leg was crushed and his right foot nearly cut off. He was taken to the Royal Infirmary where he died the same night. Verdict, "Accidental death."

On the body of Mary HEWITT, aged 34, an "unfortunate" who lived at 24 Peach St. About 2.30pm on Friday Dec 23rd, the deceased threw herself off the Pierhead, in front of the St George's Baths. James MOORE jumped in after her, and held her up whilst assistance was obtained. She was rescued and taken to the receiving house. There she said she had been living in Liverpool for twelve months, and had been living by prostitution for six months. She said she was tired of life and died at the Royal Infirmary on Tuesday evening from the effects of the immersion and a cut on her thigh. The jury found that death was due to the effects of immersion and injuries.

On the body of Patrick GILLIGAN, aged 70, tin plate worker, of 18 Cardwell St On Monday week when going down the steps at the back door his foot slipped on the snow and he fell breaking his leg in two places. He died at the Royal Infirmary on Tuesday morning. Verdict, "Accidental death."

On the body of Arthur MIREHOUSE, aged 19mths, son of James MIREHOUSE, shipwright of 17 Barlow St, Kirkdale On the afternoon of the 28th ult while at play he fell backwards into a pan of hot water and clothes. He was severely scalded and died on Tuesday. Verdict, "Accidental death."

On the body of Ann ELLIS, aged 2, daughter of an engine fitter of 46 Plumbe St. On Sunday the deceased upset a pan of boiling water over her, she was severely scalded and died on Tuesday. Verdict, "Accidental death."

On the body of Matthew FOLEY, aged 32, corn porter of 49 Rokeby St. On the 24th December, whilst drunk the deceased fell out of a warehouse room at the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway goods station, in Great Howard St. He fell 13ft and injured his head, for some time he remained at home, but ultimately was taken to the Royal Infirmary where he died on Tuesday. Verdict, "Accidental death."


Liverpool Mercury, Mar 3rd, 1871


Yesterday morning Moses UNSWORTH, of Pemberton, nr Wigan was found suspended from a hook in the kitchen, he was promptly cut down but life was extinct. No motive is assigned for his self-destruction.

Fatal Railway accident

Yesterday morning Robert HILL of Hardybutts, Wigan, a breaksman on the London and North-western Railway, was crushed between the buffers of a couple of waggons at Springs Branch, and died as he was being conveyed home.

Fatal accident to a Liverpool innkeeper at Heckmondwike

On Wednesday morning Alfred WHITWORTH, innkeeper of Liverpool, died at Heckmondwike from injuries he had received the previous day in Upper George St, in that town. He had gone to Heckmondwike on a visit and seeing a pony belonging to Mr WEBSTER, butcher, he purchased it. Mounting the animal he proceeded to trot it up the street, but the pony stumbled and threw Mr WHITWORTH heavily to the ground, he was severely injured, and the services of Mr ELLIS surgeon were obtained. The unfortunate man was taken to the George Inn, where he expired in a few hours.

A woman drown at Runcorn

Yesterday an inquest was held at Wilson's Hotel, before Mr H. B. WHITE, deputy coroner, on the body of Mary KAY, daughter of William KAY of Bridge St, Runcorn, whose body was found in the river near No Man's Land on Wednesday.. The deceased had left home on Tuesday evening with the intention of attending a class meeting at the Wesleyan, nothing more was heard of her until the body was found. An open verdict was returned.


Liverpool Mercury , Mar 30th, 1871

Coroners Inquests, before Mr C. ASPINALL

On the body of William David JONES,  aged 6, son of a slatemason of 2 Jenkinson St. On Monday afternoon during the absence of his mother at the pawnshop, his shirt caught fire while he was standing at the fender putting some coal on the fire. Mother said he had worn the shirt all day owing to them being over a bakehouse and therefore very hot. Deceased was burnt all over the body and died on Tuesday at the Royal Infirmary. Verdict” Found Burned” mother censured for neglect.

On the body of Elizabeth LLOYD,  aged 13, daughter of Ellis LLOYD, a wheelwright of 7 Jenkinson St. The father stated he occupied a room with his two daughters, the deceased and a girl aged 16, they slept in the same bed. He paid 2s a week for the room and earned 18s a week when in full work 24s in a good week, which he earned last week. His eldest daughter earned 6s per week in a feather factory, the deceased kept house for him. He was not a sober man and had beaten the deceased twice the last time at Christmas. On Thursday night at 10pm he questioned the deceased about money he had given her in the morning to buy food, she had spent 11d and he wanted to know what she had left’ She said to wait a bit then ran out into the street, he had not seen her since. More than once he had pawned her clothes to buy food. He expected her to return as she had on numerous occasions, so he did not inform the police. He made inquiries on Sunday and on Monday saw her dead, The eldest sister of the deceased said both her sister and father were very passionate, deceased a week ago said she would drown herself, but assigned no reason for saying this. On the night she left her father was sober and there had been no quarrelling. Witnesses were called to prove the body was found in the mud at the bottom of the canal near Burlington St, on Sunday morning. Verdict “found drowned” adding that the father be deserving of censure for his general conduct and immorality in sleeping with his daughters, the coroner severely reprimanded LLOYD


Liverpool Mercury, July 3rd, 1871

Suicide by taking oxalic acid

About 7pm on Saturday, Elizabeth WILLIAMS the wife of a boilermaker, of 8 Stanhope St committed suicide at her residence. About 6.30pm the deceased's husband returned home, and on finding his wife drunk remonstrated with her. She threatened to take her life, but as it was not the first time she had made the threat no notice was taken of her. Shortly afterwards a man living in the same house heard cries in the deceased's room and entered. There he found the unfortunate woman sitting on a chair, she stated she had taken oxalic acid, and expired before the arrival of Dr MORRIS of the Southern Dispensary.


Liverpool Mercury, 13 November 1871

Supposed suicide of a Liverpool policeman

About 11am yesterday William Edgar a police constable for many years on duty , in the South Dock Division, was found dead in bed at his residence, 13,Rockbrook St, Toxteth Park. From a letter and other papers discovered after his death, which will doubtless be, produced at the inquest, it is supposed the deceased committed suicide by taking a quantity of laudenum

© 2011 all rights reserved