Liverpool Mercury May 31st, 1869

Two children killed

Last Friday morning a boy named Adam HOLDEN, aged 4, was run over by a horse and cart in Copperas Hill, and seriously hurt, he died while being taken to the Royal Infirmary. The same evening Mary Jane BRAITHWAITE a little girl was also was run over by a horse and cart in Leander St, near Copperas Hill and killed instantaneously. An inquest will probably be held today.

A Liverpool tradesman drowned at Wallasey

An inquest was held on Friday last, at the Black Horse, public house, Wallasey on the body of Joseph BANKS, wine and spirit merchant of Liverpool, whose body was found on the shore on the previous Wednesday. It appeared the deceased left home on Tuesday for the purpose of going to Cheshire and did not return at the time expected. On Wednesday morning a man's clothing was found by some boatmen on the shore near Sandhills at Wallasey, and a search having been instituted, the body of the deceased was discovered in the mud. It was afterwards ascertained that the body was that of Mr BANKS, who, it was supposed, lost his life while bathing. He was said to be an expert swimmer. Verdict, "Found drowned."


Liverpool Mercury, June 26th 1869

Determined suicide near St Helens

Yesterday a man named William MOSS, of Springfield Row, who had of late exhibited symptoms of mental hallucination, went to the neighbourhood of Greengate Colliery. In Elephant Lane he met one of the coal carts belonging to the Messers WALMSLEY, and while the carter's attention was engaged in another direction he placed his head in the way of the cart wheel, which passed over it and crushed it so severely that death ensued almost immediately.

Suicide at Walton

Yesterday about noon, John FLEMING of Tetlow St, Walton, committed suicide. The deceased was a man of intemperate habits and had been out of employment for about 7mths, during that time he had often threatened to poison himself, and yesterday he rose from bed at an advanced hour and went into the yard where he severed one of the principal arteries in his thigh with a razor. A doctor was called but the unfortunate man bled to death. An inquest will be held today

Coroner's inquest before Mr C. ASPINALL, borough coroner

On the body of Hugh WELSH, shipwright, aged 54, of Buckingham St. Deceased was employed by Mr GRAYSON and on Wednesday last was employed on the ship Westminster, lying in the Clarence Graving Dock. At 1pm he was working on a stage at the side of the ship, when his foot slipped and he fell to the bottom of the dock, 30ft deep and was killed on the spot. Verdict, "Accidental death."

On the body of Edward NOLAN, aged 52, corporation scavenger. On Thursday the 10th inst, the deceased with other men were sweeping Elliot St, when a spring cart driven by Edward CARTY came down the street at a furious rate, all the men with the exception of the deceased got out of the way, but NOLAN was knocked down the cart going over his body, severely injuring him. There was some conflicting evidence as to whether the carter shouted to the deceased or not, some witnesses say he did other not. The deceased was taken to the Royal Infirmary where he died on Wednesday. The driver said he did his best to pull up and shouted to the deceased. The jury returned a verdict of, "Accidental death," and made a presentment to the effect that they considered the driver of the cart was deserving of severe censure for driving at such a rapid pace with so heavy a load down the hill, but they did not consider the evidence warranted a verdict of manslaughter. Sudden death of a scavenger

Yesterday morning a scavenger named CROWLEY employed by the corporation was at work in Bath St when he suddenly fell down dead.

Falling out of a railway carriage

On the arrival of the 10.25 pm train from Manchester to Preston on Thursday evening a bundle was found by one of the officials in the compartment of a carriage. An engine was sent up the line and proceeding about half a mile beyond Preston the body of a man named MORRIS living at Preston, was found dead. The back of his head was completely broken in. The deceased was travelling from Chorley to Preston and was seen to enter the carriage at the former place, but how he fell out is not at present known.

A gentleman drowned at Bootle while bathing

On Thursday about 12 o' clock the body of Richard DUNNE, aged 20, a clerk of 6 Derwent St, Bootle, was found in the Great Float [new dock] at Bootle. The deceased left home at 5.30am and went to Bootle to bathe in the sea, about 7 o' clock his clothes were found on the shore by James MORTON, a corporation watchman, who reported the matter to the police, as it was suspected someone had drowned. A search was made in boats for the body, which was not then recovered, but about 12 o' clock a few young men [amongst them James M'BRIDE, Pleasant Grove, Bootle and John M'CARROLL, of 2 Stone St, Liverpool] went into the water and made a further search for the body. The two men found it in 7 or 8ft of water, about 11yds from where the clothing was found. The body was conveyed to the Derby Arms Hotel, Irlam Lane, Bootle, where an inquest was held yesterday by Mr C. D. DRIFFIELD, coroner, and the jury returned a verdict, "That the deceased was drowned by accident in the new dock in Bootle on the 24th inst." The deceased was a bad swimmer and the probability is that he went to bathe by himself [as no one saw him go into the water] and went beyond his depth or else took cramp in the water. At the point where the body was found is rather deep water, and is within about 60yds of the corporation gate leading to the new dock wall. Deceased was employed as a clerk by WILSON, Son and WALTER, steamship agents, Liverpool


Liverpool Mercury, Dec 27th, 1869

A man and his wife starved to death

The district coroner Mr C. E. DRIFFIELD held an inquest last week at the Rose and Crown, public house, Farmoor, Orrel, near Wigan, touching the death of Ann GERARD, aged 80, wife of W. GERARD, a labourer, living at Glasshouses Farmoor. The deceased who lived with her husband in a small house, had been outside her usual state of health. On Friday afternoon, the neighbours, finding that her blinds had not been drawn up during the day, entered the house and saw the deceased lying with her face on the floor, with blood and froth issuing from her mouth and nose. Her husband was lying quite unconscious on a bed in the same room. The room itself was in a most filthy state, and the stench arising was almost unbearable. The two old people were also in a loathsome state. There was no fire in the house, and the place presented an appearance of destitution and poverty, that can scarcely be described. The husband's statement was that his wife had been seized with cramp and had fallen down. He had rubbed her and tried to restore her, but being unable he left her on the floor and went to bed. Some neighbours came in and lighted the fire. Dr MOLYNEUX was at once called for, but he could render no effectual assistance and the woman died the same evening, never recovering from unconsciousness in which she had been found. A post mortem examination was afterwards made and the medical evidence showed that death had resulted from effusion of blood on the brain and inflammation, accelerated by lying 12hrs on the cold pavement. The coroner refused to take the evidence of the husband of the deceased, the jury returned a verdict in accordance with the medical evidence.

On the 23rd inst an inquest was held at the same place touching the death of William GERARD, the husband of the above woman whom the above inquest was held. Deceased had been suffering from typhoid fever and had been attended by Dr MOLYNEUX as parish doctor. Some of the neighbours went in and found him on the cold flags quite dead. The fire was out and he had scarcely a particle of clothing on him. The result of the inquest was a verdict attributing death to debility and starvation. The relieving officer was called in and asked why he hadn't removed the deceased to the workhouse in accordance with a request made by the doctor. The officer said he did not know he had the power to remove the man against his will. The coroner said he thought the man ought certainly have been removed, considering the state in which he was in. If he had been taken where he could have been properly attended to in all probability he still would be living. Several of the jurymen remarked that there were other cases in the same neighbourhood quite as bad if they were inquired into.

2010 all rights reserved