Deaths and inquests 1868

Liverpool Mercury, Jan 16th, 1868

Coroner's inquests before Mr Clarke ASPINALL, borough coroner.

On the body of Edith Marion LAMB, aged 4, daughter of a plumber of Underhill St, Everton. It appeared on Friday morning the deceased and her sister were lighting a candle, when the night clothes of the former caught fire, receiving such injuries as resulted in her death on Monday. Verdict, " Accidentally burned."

On the body of Charles M'DERMOTT, aged 34, labourer of 16 Epsom St. On the 8th May last, deceased fell while wheeling a barrow across a stage at the Huskisson Dock, injuring his arm. He had never completely recovered since that time and last Saturday week had a fit and died on Monday. Verdict, " Accidental death."

On the body of George CHEETHAM, aged 50, barman, who had been for some time out of employment, and who lodged at the house of Thomas GILL, stonemason of 72 Regent Rd. It appeared from the evidence that the deceased had for some time been in a desponding and troubled state of mind. On Monday he went to bed about 8pm, when perfectly sober. Two young men slept in the same room as the deceased, and in the morning they both rose and left him in bed. As he did not come down at the usual time, Mr GILL, thinking his lodger was unwell, went upstairs with a cup of hot tea and found the deceased hanging by a rope tied round his neck the other end tied to the bedfoot. A police officer was called and the deceased was cut down, but life was found to be extinct. Deceased's box on being searched was found to contain 9-9s-5d. The jury returned a verdict of, "Committed suicide whilst in a state of temporary insanity".


Liverpool Mercury, Jan 24th, 1868

Coroner's inquests before Mr Clarke ASPINALL, borough coroner.

On the body of Samuel WHITFIELD, aged 42, employed as a signalman and pointsman by the London and North-western Railway Company, at Widnes Junction, who resided at Crowwood, about 2 miles from the junction. On the evening of 23rd Dec last, deceased had to go on duty at 6 0' clock at the Widnes Junction, but about that time the stationmaster heard he had met with an accident and was lying at the Commercial Hotel, Widnes. On going there the stationmaster found him with his left foot nearly torn off. Deceased said he was injured by a Great Northern passenger train whilst going to his hut, and the accident occurred whilst he was getting out of the way of another train coming in the opposite direction. I appeared the deceased could have got to his hut without passing along the line, but that was the nearest way. A doctor saw the deceased and advised his removal to the Royal Infirmary, Liverpool, where he died on Tuesday. Mr WHYMEAT the stationmaster said he went to the place where the accident occurred on the following morning and found blood and flesh on the rails. The train by which the deceased was injured was about 25 mins late. Verdict, " Accidental death."

On the body of Benjamin HUGHES, aged 523, bricklayer, of 6 court Dairyimple St. It appeared the deceased had been drinking very heavily for the past 12mths, and during the past 4mths his mind had been affected by his intemperate habits. In the morning after a drinking "bout", he had "the horrors". Last Monday night the deceased was left in the kitchen by his son when he went to bed, at that time deceased was not sober. He entered his son's bedroom about 2am to get a pipe and at 10am was found suspended by a piece of rope from the top of the cellar door. When the body was cut down life was extinct. The jury returned a verdict of, "Committed suicide whilst in a state of temporary insanity through excessive drinking".

On the body of Thomas DUNN, aged 3, son of a labourer of 14 court, Tatlock St. On Saturday night the 11th inst, deceased was put to bed at 10pm, a few minutes afterwards he was found with his night shirt in flames. In the same room were two other children aged 6 and 2, Dr LUCAS attended the deceased and he was taken to the Northern Hospital where he died yesterday morning. Verdict, "Accidentally burned."


Liverpool Mercury, Jan 28th, 1868

Shocking suicide of an official at the Sailor's Home

An event occurred at the Sailor's Home yesterday, which gave rise to great sorrow and surprise among the inmates of that establishment. The circumstances which caused the excitement were the suicide of Mr William CLARKE, the house superintendent of the home. The particulars of this sad affair, as far as they have transpired are as follows :-

The boarders at the home dine together about 12 o' clock, Mr CLARKE usually attended the dinner, and was present yesterday when nothing remarkable was noticed in his demeanour. A short time after dinner he intimated to one of the officials that he intended to go and lie down for a short time, and directed a steward to call him about 2 o' clock. At that hour the steward, as directed went to call on Mr CLARKE, but on entering the room where he supposed he was asleep, he was shocked to find the unfortunate man suspended by the neck from a rope attached to an iron beam. The alarm was given an the body immediately cut down, but it was found that life was extinct. From examination it seems that the suicide was a most deliberate and determined one. There is a skylight in the roof of the apartment and in order to effect his purpose the unfortunate man, knocked a hole in this, so as to enable him to tie the rope around an iron beam. He then appears to have placed a stool under his feet, and, when he had fastened the rope around his neck, he kicked the stool from under him, and thus succeeded in destroying his own life. No reason can be assigned for the commission of the sad act. Mr CLARKE was much respected not only by the officials of the home, but by the sailors who lodged there, with whom he frequently came in contact and his melancholy end has caused the greatest gloom among the whole of the inmates and among all those who were acquainted with him.

A lunatic killed by jumping from a window

Yesterday morning Archibald PEARSON, aged 50, who was confined in the Rainhill Asylum met with a shocking death by jumping from a window in the third story of the Asylum. He received such severe injuries that he died two hours afterwards.


Liverpool Mercury, Jan 29th, 1868

Coroner's inquests before Mr Clarke ASPINALL, borough coroner.

On the body of Edward JONES, aged 10, son of a plasterer of Bostock St. On Saturday morning the mother went out leaving the deceased sitting at the fire in his nightdress, in half an hour when she returned she found the deceased severely burned. He said he had been playing with a lighted stick when his dress caught fire. A neighbour extinguished the flames and he was removed to the Northern Hospital where he died on Monday morning. Verdict, "Accidentally burned." the jury expressing their opinion that the mother was open to censure for leaving the child alone in the house.

On the body of Peter BEATTIE, aged 6, son of a labourer of 3 court Burnett St. On Monday morning shortly after the deceased's father went to work, he went down stairs into the parlour, where a large fire was burning, about 20 mins afterwards his mother heard him screaming, and on going down found him severely burned. He was removed to the Northern Hospital where he died yesterday morning. Verdict, "Accidentally burned."

On the body of John RUDDY, aged 3, illegitimate son of Sarah RUDDY, living at 24 Gilbert St. Last Saturday night when his mother was living in a cellar in Greetham St, she went out for a short time leaving the deceased and two other children playing together, and during her absence the boy's clothes caught fire and he ran into the street where a neighbour extinguished the flames. He died at the Southern Hospital on Sunday morning. Verdict, "Accidentally burned."

On the body of William JONES, aged 19, a carter of Garden St, Smithdown Lane. The deceased was in the employ of Edward JONES, coal merchant, Crown St. Early on Saturday morning he went with a man named LLOYD to yoke a horse to a cart which was loaded with coal. The deceased went behind the cart when it suddenly fell, crushing him so severely that he died on his way to the Infirmary. Verdict, "Accidental death." The coroner gave Mrs JONES the widowed mother of the deceased 1 from the poor box.

On the body of Patrick FLOOD, aged about 50, shipkeeper, of 26 Westmoreland St. Deceased was given to drink and on Saturday while in liquor he went to a ship lying in the George's Dock, which he had charge off. Shortly after 11pm he fell into the dock between two vessels. He was taken out and removed to the receiving house where the usual restoratives were given, but he died shortly afterwards. Verdict, "Accidentally drowned."

On the body of Edward BROWN, aged 39, car proprietor, of Scott St. He had resided abroad for some time and for a considerable period had complained of giddiness in the head. Last Saturday he went with his car to Regents Rd, stand, and complained all day about his chest. About 3,30pm he went and sat down in his cab, where he was found dead half an hour later. The body was taken to the Northern Hospital. Verdict, "Died from natural causes."


Liverpool Mercury, Jan 31st, 1868

Coroner's inquests before Mr Clarke ASPINALL, borough coroner.

On the body of Thomas SMITH, aged 23, a royal naval coast volunteer. On Wednesday afternoon the deceased was engaged in his ordinary exercises aloft on board her Majesty's war-ship Donegal, when he suddenly missed his grasp of the "rattling" and fell to the deck a distance of 34ft, and died almost immediately. Verdict, "Accidental death."

On the body of John THOMPSON, aged 22, a porter at the Great Howard St, Station of the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway Company, who resided at 33 Tenterden St. On the evening of the 7th inst he was untying some sheets on a railway waggon to unload some goods, when another waggon was brought up by a horse to the one at which he was engaged. The shunter called to the deceased and another man to stand clear. THOMPSON got between the railing and a waggon, where there was little room and stooped to avoid being crushed, his foot slipped and he fell under the moving waggon, he was severely injured and taken to the Northern Hospital, where he died yesterday morning. Verdict, "Accidental death." The jury expressed their opinion that precautions should be taken by which the porters and other employees should be kept out of the way before any waggons were shunted.


Liverpool Mercury, Feb 5th, 1868

Coroner's inquests before Mr Clarke ASPINALL, borough coroner.

On the body of Edward BRYANT, aged 47, of 2 court, Back Portland St. Deceased had been suffering some time with a cold and went to the ship Sapphire, in the Prince's Dock to watch her. The cook on board who saw he was ill, gave him some tea and two coats with which to cover himself. On Monday morning he was found very ill and died shortly afterwards. The jury retuned a verdict of, "Died from exposure" and expressed their admiration of the conduct of the cook, James JACKSON, towards the deceased.

On the body of a man unknown who appeared to be an artilleryman. On Monday evening he was a passenger from Dublin with other soldiers on board the steamer Iron Duke. When he went on board he was in drink. He was a deck passenger, and it was stated in the evidence the deck was partly covered over. On Tuesday morning he was found lying dead in the fore part of the vessel. When the steamer arrived in the Clarence Dock the body was placed on the quay and afterwards taken to the deadhouse. On being searched a furlough was found signed by "Lieutenant Colonel G. H. VESEY, R.A", in which the bearer was described as "311 gunner, John MOONEY, age 34, 11-12mths" Dr CAVANAGH examined the body and was of the opinion that death was due to exposure to cold whilst the deceased was under the influence of drink. The jury returned a verdict to that effect, adding that they were of the opinion that the City of Dublin Steampacket, Company's steamer Iron Duke had not sufficient accommodation for steerage passengers in order to protect them from the weather during the winter season

On the body of Samuel HOUGH, aged 55, coal dealer, 125 Grafton St. Deceased was in his coalyard on Saturday night when he was struck on the head by a chimney pot, blown from a house by the high wind. He was dead before reaching the Southern Hospital. Verdict, " Accidental death."

On the body of John Alfred BELLIS, aged 15mths, son of a painter of Rose Hill. On Friday last while at his grandmother's house in Edgar St, he pulled over a cup containing boiling water and was severely scalded, he died on Sunday morning. Verdict, "Accidentally scalded."

On the body of John REES, aged 40, chief mate of the schooner Pleiades. On the 12th Sept last deceased fell through the fore hatchway of the schooner while under the influence of liquor and broke his back. He was removed to the Southern Hospital where he died on Saturday last. Verdict, " Accidental death."

On the body of Catherine BARRETT, a prisoner in Walton gaol. In July last she was committed to prison for 12mths, and for the last 3mths had been suffering from bronchitis of which she died on Monday. Verdict, "Died from natural causes."


Liverpool Mercury, Feb 7th, 1868

Coroner's inquests before Mr Clarke ASPINALL, borough coroner.

On the body of Thomas PILKINGTON, aged 52, master porter of 9 Fairview Place, Toxteth Park. For a fortnight the deceased had been drinking freely and on Friday last became ill, his mind was affected by his dissolute habits, resulting in delirium tremens. He partially recovered on Monday and was able to attend to his business on that day. Early on Wednesday he became restless and rose from his bed at 4am. He asked his wife to call in a friend, but fearing he might commit some act of violence towards himself during her absence, she requested him to accompany her. He complied, and the deceased on their arrival requested his friend to get him some paper from the office, exclaiming in an excited manner, "I'm going to die" They all returned to the deceased's house and his wife and friend left him standing upon the doorstep, whilst they had a short consultation in reference to what steps should be taken to restrain him. On their return to the door in a few minutes they missed the deceased. The same morning a bricklayer was crossing a field off Parkhill Rd when he found the body of the deceased lying in a shallow pond. The jury returned a verdict of, "Found drowned."

On the body of Patrick M'ANDREW, aged 7, son of Thomas M'ANDREW, a porter of 6 court, Cable St. On the evening of the 9th ult the deceased was put to bed in a room where there was a fire, and shortly afterwards was found by his mother with his nightshirt in flames. The fire was extinguished and he was taken to the Northern Hospital where he died from the severe injuries on the 5th inst. He stated before his death that he had risen from his bed and was taking something out of the fire when his shirt ignited. Verdict, "Accidentally burned."

On the body of George RIGLEY, aged 52, labourer of 26 Hook St. On the 1st ultimo the deceased was crossing the floor of the cellar of his house when he tripped and fell forward against a kettle of boiling water, upsetting it. He was severely scalded over the body and was taken to the Northern Hospital where he died on Tuesday last. Verdict, "Accidentally scalded."

On the body of Ellen LITTLE, aged 28, wife of a shipwright, named Edward LITTLE, who is now at sea. The deceased had no house at the time of her death and was addicted to habits of intemperance. On Saturday she became delirious and about 5pm on Wednesday was seized with convulsions. She was attended by Dr WILLIAMS but died at 1am on Thursday. Verdict of, "Died through excessive drinking".


Liverpool Mercury, Feb 13th, 1868

Coroner's inquests before Mr Clarke ASPINALL, borough coroner

On the body of Patrick SWEENEY, aged 55, badge porter of 2 court, Ford St. On Saturday the 1st inst shortly before noon, deceased was passing the Battery St entrance to the Canada Dock, when he was knocked down by the gate which was loose from its position by the gale prevailing. He was taken to the Northern Hospital where it was found one of his legs were broken and the other fractured, he died there on Tuesday last. Verdict, " Accidental death." The jury expressing their opinion that the fastenings of the gate were not sufficiently strong.

On the body of Martha STEWART, aged 34, wife of a hairdresser, of 3 Dueman St. Deceased was drinking all last week and on Saturday was very delirious. On the evening of that day her husband went into the house and found her shouting, "Oh my hand, my hand!" She would not allow her husband to see what was the matter and on Sunday morning was taken to the Royal Infirmary. Deceased had been in the asylum about 18mths ago in consequence of drinking too much. When she was found with her hand injured she was surrounded by chairs, and one of them was upset. On Saturday deceased told a witness that her husband had beaten her with a brush and injured her hand which was very swollen. At that time the deceased appeared to be out of her mind. Another witness stated that on Saturday night she saw the deceased lying drunk on the floor in a pool of water, her husband being asleep in a chair near her. When the deceased accused her husband of having struck her, he said he knew nothing about the matter. Dr PUZEY, senior house-surgeon of the Royal Infirmary, stated that when the deceased was admitted she was suffering from erysipelas of the right arm and an abscess on the back of the right hand. She died on Tuesday morning, and he attributed her death to erysipelas and delirium tremens. The jury returned a verdict in accordance with the medical testimony.

On the body of John JONES, aged 27, a labourer of 2 Kiloton St, employed by Messer POOLEY and Sons, iron founders, Manchester St. About 5 wks ago the deceased along with two other workmen was engaged in turning a moulding box upside down. The box was full of sand and hanging in slings about 5ft from the ground, half turned over, and one of the slings slipped out of place and the box fell, catching the deceased's foot and ankle, knocking him down. He died from his injuries on Sunday night at his own residence. Verdict, " Accidental death."

On the body of Mary BURKE, aged 2, daughter of Rose BURKE, of 10 court, Henry Edward St. On Tuesday three weeks since, the child's clothes caught fire during the absence of her mother, and she received such severe injuries she died on Sunday. Verdict, " Accidental death."


Liverpool Mercury, July 15th 1868

The men employed by the gas company who are pulling up Church St to put down larger gas pipes, have come upon three coffins which were buried at a much greater depth than those lately removed from St Peter's Churchyard. One of the coffins was in an excellent state of preservation, and the three have been removed during the night to Anfield Cemetery

Fatal accident at Warrington

On Tuesday a fatal accident occurred to a man named James ELLIS at Bank Quay station, Warrington. The deceased was a mason employed at the new station now under construction. There was a luggage train standing in the siding on the opposite side to where the deceased was, one part of the waggons were divided a couple of yards from the rest of the train. Deceased saw a labourer he required on the other side of the train and proceeded to fetch him, but just as he got between the waggons the pointsman gave the engine driver the signal to go back and the deceased was caught between the buffers. He never spoke afterwards and must have died instantaneously. The body was removed to the Patton Arms. The deceased was 52 and leaves a widow, but no family.

A youth killed in diving

On Sunday morning a youth named Edwin LEE, aged 17, of 37 Bourne St, West Derby Rd, went to bathe in the Corporation baths, Margaret St. Whilst bathing the deceased who was an expert swimmer, dived into the bath and came with his head against the bottom, fracturing his spine between the shoulders. He was taken home, but his uncle afterwards had him taken to the Royal Infirmary where he died on Monday evening. An inquest will be held today.


Liverpool Mercury, Dec 2nd 1868

Mysterious drowning case

At noon on Monday last the body of a respectably dressed man was found in a pit, a short distance from the Ince Coal and Cannel Company's works, Ince, Green Lane, near Wigan, The discovery was made singularly enough by an engine driver on the Spring Branch of the London and North-western Railway, who at once sent for a policeman, and the body was moved to the house of Mr John PEET, the Railway Inn. The deceased was a fine looking man. When found he had on light woollen cord trousers, nearly new, black cloth vest and woollen shirt striped with red, also a light blue coat, or jacket and belt. His hair is a sandy colour, he has a flowing beard and a heavy moustache. What was found in his pockets will no doubt lead to his identity. He had two pocket books in his possession. One contained a letter addressed to Mr John DENING from Mr Richard KEATS of Bristol. The letter was dated from Liverpool, Oct 4th, 1867, and Mr SKEATS appeared, according to the tenor of the letter, to have been recommending Mr DENING, who had supplied him with meat and vegetables both in Liverpool and in Newport, S.W, where he was in business. The letter was signed, "Richard SKEATS, ship's stevedore" and addressed to Mr J. DENING, 41 Price St, Birkenhead." Two portraits were also found in his pockets. One was that of a young lady, and the other was an elderly gentleman's evidently not his own. The deceased appears to be about 40 years of age. In the pockets was also a newspaper extract. It is a paragraph cut out from some newspaper, relating to a county court suit, "before J. W. HARDEN Esq," and headed, "A loan or partnership," and running on - "Mr Charles DUCK, stationer and news agent, Market St, South, brought an action against John DENING, butcher, Price St for the recovery of 33-10s-10d, of which 27-9s, was lent money. Mr ANDERTON appeared for the plaintiff, and Mr C. PEMBERTON for the defendant." There was also a sheet of paper, on which was written what seemed to be payments of several sums, amounting to upwards of 6, and apparently paid by Mr DENING. Only a few coppers were in the deceased possession. Information has been forwarded to the district coroner, but it is not known in Ince yesterday [Tuesday] afternoon when the inquest would take place.

2010 all rights reserved to date