Deaths and inquests 1866

Liverpool Mercury Jan 14th, 1866

Coroner's inquests before Mr John WYBERGH, Jun, Dept coroner

On the body of a man unknown found in the Coburg Dock on Monday, the body was removed to the deadhouse, Prince's Dock, where it was searched and a ticket found on him was written, "Liverpool Labourers Accident and Burial Society 118, We certify that William WALSH, is entitled to a monthly ticket this 3rd day of February 1866" The deceased appears about 30 yrs of age and was dressed in ordinary working clothes, verdict, "Found drowned."

On the body of Mary Jane NEWMAN, daughter of Samuel NEWMAN, a sawyer, of No 4 court, Dryden St The child aged 10 had for some time been suffering from indisposition, and had been confined to the house, on Sunday night she was found dead in bed. Dr AYRTON made a post mortem examination of the body and found the cause of death to be fever. The child appeared to have been neglected, verdict "Died from natural causes."

On the body of Michael BROGAN, aged 40, a porter, of Charles St. For some time the deceased had been addicted to habits of intemperance, he had been known to drink 20 pints of ale a day, on Monday morning he was found dead in bec. Verdict, "Died from the effects of excessive drinking."

On the body of Jane PEARCE, aged 41, the wife of a street singer, of St Andrews St. The deceased and her husband who is blind, had frequent quarrels, and he had threatened to murder her, the son stated that a few nights ago she fell down suddenly and hurt her eye. On Sunday morning the deceased died in bed in great agony. Dr AYRTON had made a post mortem examination and had found a contusion on the left eye, death was a result of a ruptured artery in the abdomen arising from an injury to the abdomen. Such injury might be caused by a kick or something heavy falling upon her, verdict, "Died from injuries, how received no evidence is shown."


Liverpool Mercury, Mar 27th 1866

Inquests before Mr J. WYBERGH. Deputy Coroner

On the body of Michael GALLAGHER, aged 58, fruit dealer, Naylor St, on Friday afternoon last he went home under the influence of drink and lay on the bed. In the evening he was found dead, with his face partly downwards and blood at his mouth, - verdict, Died from natural causes.

On the body of Mary LYNCH a widow who resided with her son in Burlington St. The deceased practised as a herbalist. For many years she had, had, a bad cough. On Saturday morning she was found dead in bed. Mr H. G. SAMUELS, surgeon, said he was called to the house on Saturday morning and found her dead, he had made a post mortem on the body and found the lungs diseased, it was his opinion death was caused by the lungs supervening on chronic disease, life might have been prolonged if the deceased had sought medical treatment. One of the neighbours now appeared and said deceasedís son and his wife had abused their mother. The son denied this and Mr SAMUELS found no marks of violence on the body. Verdict - Died from natural causes.

On the body of James GALLAGHER, aged 21, a labourer of Midgehall Lane. A short time ago he had his finger crushed and on Wednesday was confined to bed with a pain in his back. He was unable to open his mouth and showed symptoms of lockjaw, he died on Friday, verdict accordingly.

On the body of Catherine LOGAN, infant of a porter residing in Rawsthorne Square, Limekiln Lane. Deceased was accidentally overlain in bed, verdict accordingly.


Liverpool Mercury, April 11th 1866

Coroner's inquests before Mr WYBERG, Deputy coroner

On the body of Mary Ann, infant daughter of James FEGAN, poullterer, 1 court, Preston St, and Albert infant son of Charles ALLEN, a tailor of Travers St, Soho. The children were accidentally suffocated in bed and verdicts to that effect were returned.

On the body of John HENRY, infant and illegitimate son of Ann HENRY, single woman of 1 court, Hunter St, who had been unable to leave her bed since her confinement, and was also unable to suckle the deceased, who, she said, died suddenly in her arms on Saturday morning. Dr AYRTON made a post mortem and found suffocation was the cause of death a verdict of, "Found suffocated" was returned.

On the body of George PATTERSON, aged 18, who lived with his father in 13 court, Finch St. On Saturday morning the deceased was called but complained of weakness in his limbs and could not rise. He died the same day. Dr AYRTON made a post mortem and found death was due to natural causes. Verdict accordingly

On the body of Stephen GRAHAM, aged 44, rag gatherer, who lived in Downe St. On Sunday afternoon he was found dead lying on his face on the floor in his room. Verdict, "Died from natural causes."

On the body of Margery BROOKFIELD, aged 65, domestic servant, employed by Mr Maurice WILLIAMS, cotton broker, Allerton Priory. The deceased was addicted to habits of intemperance. On Sunday she was stopping with her friends and in the course of the afternoon she went out and came home with a black eye saying she had fallen. She had drink that day and on Monday couldn't get out of bed. She died suddenly the same night. Verdict, "Accidental death."


Liverpool Mercury, Sept 22nd 1866

On the body of John ROWE, about 33, a chimney sweeper of Gilbert St. On Wednesday morning at an early hour he was observed very drunk, proceeding along Jordan St. Having staggered, he had a severe fall, got up and sat upon some steps near the bridewell gates, and afterwards had another fall. He was then unable to rise and a man placed him on some steps. He got up again, staggered and fell, his head striking the pavement. He was removed to a neighbouring cellar in a state of insensibility, his eye being black and there were various bruises on his head. He was removed to the Southern Hospital and it was observed he had several bruises on his body. He never rallied and died on Wednesday evening. Verdict, "Died from injuries received by falling whilst in a state of intoxication."

On the body of James LEACH, aged about 57, captain of the flat Worsley, belonging to the Bridgewater Trust. The deceased, who had taken something to drink, went towards the Canning Dock. At an early hour yesterday PC 23 ACKERLEY, heard a call for help, and on proceeding to the direction whence the cry came, observed the deceased in the water being held up by another man. Eventually a rope was placed round the deceased's body, by which he was rescued. He was taken to the receiving house, Prince's Dock and every means were adopted to restore him, but in vain, it was found he was dead. Verdict, "Found drowned."

On the body of Maria THOMPSON, aged 28, employed at the North Shore Mills. About 6wks since a dispute took place between her and Emma KIRKWOOD. Deceased accused KIRKWOOD of having driven a man who is at present in an asylum, out of his mind. Another woman named TURNER interfered and called the deceased a blackguard. After further abusive language had been made use of KIRKWOOD seized the deceased by the hair of the head and struck her with her clenched hand several times in the face. The deceased bled at the mouth from the violence of these blows. KIRKWOOD continued to ill-use her for several minutes then the deceased left the room being then bleeding from the mouth. The deceased complained very much of her head after being beaten, and she left the mill. On the 10th ultimo she was admitted to the Liverpool Workhouse, suffering from great debility, and nervous tremulousness and pains. She died on the 17th inst. Having made a post mortem examination, one of the house surgeons at the workhouse stated that the immediate cause of death was inflammation of the lungs. "Verdict, "Died from natural causes."

On the body of Eliza WILSON, a widow, aged 56, lodging in a court in Oriel St, and who obtained her livelihood selling rags and bones. It appeared she had given way to habits of intemperance and on Thursday evening in company with her daughter proceeded to Garland's beerhouse, Oriel St. Whilst drinking she fell from her chair and in a few minutes expired. Verdict, "Died from excessive drinking."


Liverpool Mercury Dec 29th, 1866

Coroner's inquests before Mr Joseph DEVEY, Dept coroner

On the body of Jane Cowen CORLETT, infant daughter of a watchmaker of 23 Haddon St, Everton, on Monday evening the child was left in the care of Mary JOHNSON, whilst the mother went out to make some purchases, when she returned she found the child standing at the door with her clothes on fire, the mother extinguished the flames and afterwards found the woman JOHNSON sitting by the fire drunk, the child died on Thursday, verdict, "Accidentally burned."

On the body of Maria LEWIS, aged 3, daughter of a labourer of 28 Kensington Rd, Kirkdale. On Saturday morning the deceased and other children were playing in the kitchen as the deceased was walking backwards she fell into a bucket of boiling water which had just been brought in. The child was severely scalded and died on Wednesday, verdict, "Accidentally scalded."

On the body of Catherine DOWDAKIN, aged 2, the daughter of a widow of No 5 court, Thomas St. About 10days ago the mother noticed a bruise on the child's forehead, which she ascertained was caused by her falling upon the floor. The child became very ill and died on Wednesday last, verdict, "Accidental death."

On the body of William FISHER, aged 2, the son of a carter of 69 Eaton St. On Tuesday morning the child was playing with an orange in the kitchen, it fell near the fire-place and as he was stooping to pick it up his clothes caught a pan of boiling water which was on the hob. The pan fell and scalded the deceased severely, resulting in his death on Thursday, verdict, "Accidentally scalded."

Cholera inquest, 1866


Copyright 2010 all rights reserved