Liverpool Mercury, Jan 2nd, 1863

Coroner's inquests before Mr P. F. CURRY, Coroner

On the body of Richard BENSON, plumber aged 28. On the 16th inst the deceased was employed on the roof of a house in Rutland Terrace, Berwick St, when he fell to the ground and received injuries which caused his death in the Royal Infirmary on Saturday last. Verdict, "Accidental death."

On the body of Ellen HILL, a widow aged 70, of Sawneypope St. The deceased was very drunk on Saturday morning last and on the same evening was found dead in her room. Mr FLINN surgeon, made a post mortem on the body and found that death was due to excessive drinking. There was a large quantity of intoxicating liquor in her stomach. Verdict, "Died from excessive drinking".

On the body of Sarah Anne, aged 6, the daughter of John BLAIR, a labourer of Newsham St. On Monday week during the absence of her mother her clothes caught fire whilst she was standing at the oven, she was badly burned over the face, chest, neck and left arm. Death ensued at the Royal Infirmary on Saturday last. Verdict, "Accidental death."

On the body of Thomas PUGH, aged 4wks the child of a carter of 6 court, Upper Harrington St. The child was found dead in bed with the mother on Sunday morning. Verdict, "Accidentally overlain."

On the body of Anne SHAW, aged 46, the wife of a sailor now at sea of 8 Severn St, Everton. The deceased had for some time laboured under an affliction of the heart and on Monday last not making her appearance as usual her neighbour became alarmed by noon knocked at the house, receiving no answer they effected an entrance through a window and found her partially undressed, lying on the floor of her room, quite dead. Verdict, "Natural death."

On the body of Michael FINN, aged 68, who was run over by an omnibus on the 24th inst. The deceased was living with his daughter Mrs CASSIDY, 41 Portland Place and about 8.30pm on Christmas Eve he went out for the purpose of being shaved in Great Homer St, and as he was crossing the end of Dryden St, was knocked down by an omnibus belonging to the Old Omnibus Company being driven by William HIDE of Kirkdale. The wheels passed over his arms and chest, several of his ribs and the bones of one arm were distinctly heard to break by a woman witness. The omnibus which was driven as fast as the horses could trot, was pulled up, but as the deceased said he was not much hurt, it was allowed to proceed. Two women assisted the deceased home, where, notwithstanding medical aid he died on the 29th inst from the injuries he received. Witnesses were called to prove that the driver was not proceeding at an excessive speed and the jury returned a verdict of "Accidental death". The coroner cautioned HIDE with respect to his future conduct and said he had, had a very narrow escape from being committed for manslaughter.


Liverpool Mercury, Jan 5th, 1863

Coroner's inquests before Mr P. F. CURRY, Coroner

On the body of Thomas FOGG, a plasterer, aged 23, of 24 Lionel St, in the employ of E. W. CARTER, 51 Peter St. The deceased in company with his employer went to examine the flues of a chimney at 7 Daulby St. They both went on the roof, and whilst the deceased was standing erect on the roof, his feet slipped and he fell over the cornice of the house and struck on the rails encircling the cellar area. The spikes of the railings had inflicted two wounds to his abdomen, the top of one of the rails had broken by the deceased falling upon it and had to be extracted from the body, it having penetrated his stomach. The deceased was sober at the time of the accident which was attributed to the frost and the bad state of the deceased's shoes. Verdict, "Accidentally killed."

On the body of Sarah Jane MOON, aged 8mths, daughter of W. G. F. MOON, property man of the Prince of Wales Theatre, and residing at 37 School Lane. The deceased was found dead the previous day at 11am, between its parents in bed. The mother said when she went to bed at 4am she had taken 3 glasses of ale but was quite sober, she suckled the deceased at 6am, then put her away from the breast she was quite well. Verdict, "Accidentally suffocated."

On the body of William ROGERS, aged 20mths, son of William ROGERS, a rigger of 1 court, Great Richmond St. On Thursday last the mother of the deceased went out leaving the deceased with two other elder children in the house. The deceased's mother had been washing and left a tub of suds on the floor in the kitchen, and on her return found the deceased with his head in the tub. He was not dead, but on being examined by a surgeon a short time after, life was found to be extinct. Verdict, "Found drowned."

On the body of James ROGERS, aged 21, labourer of 3 court, Brick St. The deceased on Thursday last was at work on the ship Mystery, lying in the King's Dock, and while engaged in wheeling a truck from the ship to the quay he overbalanced and fell backwards into the water and drowned, his body was got out three-quarters of an hour later with grapples. Verdict, "Accidentally drowned."


Liverpool Mercury, June 2nd 1863

Suicide at Maghull

On Friday night James M'HUNA, aged 40 was found suspended by the neck in a stable belonging to Peter M'DUFF, his employer in Maghull. It appeared the deceased had been in a very depressed state of mind for the previous few days. He has left a wife and four children to mourn his loss.

Inquests before Mr P. F. CURRY

On the body of Louisa daughter of Louisa M'CONVILLE, widow 58 Price St, aged 6, who was left at the house with her sister on Tuesday. She began poking the fire with a piece of bandbox, when her clothes ignited, she received injuries which caused her death at the Royal Infirmary on Wednesday, Verdict, "Accidentally burnt."

On the body of Mary MOSS, aged 50, of Nash St, and was much addicted to intemperance. On Thursday she was very drunk and was put to bed, and was found dead the same day. Mr WHITTLE surgeon, who was called in to see the deceased was of the opinion that death was due to congestion of the brain, the result of excessive drinking. A verdict to that effect was returned

On the body of Gideon HOLMES, late an able seaman on board the ship Enoch Train, of Boston, now lying in the Collingwood Dock. On Thursday last the deceased and other hands were aloft reeving the royal haulyards, when he slipped and fell upon the house on deck. He was picked up insensible and taken to the Northern Hospital, where he died the same evening from concussion of the brain. Verdict, "Accidentally killed by a fall."

On the body of Sarah wife of John DIEVVER, a labourer living in a cottage in Mr THOMAS'S yard, 203 Park Rd. It appeared from the evidence of her husband that about 9m on Friday night he went to bed leaving the deceased in the kitchen, walking up and down the floor in a delirious state. She had been drinking for the last fortnight. Before DIEVVER went to sleep she got into bed with him, and soon after he heard a noise as of vomiting. He put his hand over his wife and found a knife in her hand, and that her breast was wet. He immediately took the knife from her, jumped out of bed and called a policeman. They discovered she was bleeding from a frightful wound in her throat, and placed a l round her neck to stop the flow of blood. The husband went for a doctor but before he arrived the unfortunate woman had expired. Inquiry adjourned for further evidence.

Before Mr C. E. DRIFFIELD Esq

At the house of Mr BELSHAW, Ship in Great Crosby, touching the death of Ellen CAMPBELL, aged 14, daughter of John CAMPBELL, of Alma Vale, Great Crosby, who died on the 24th ult from injuries sustained through her clothes catching fire. Deceased got up early on the morning in question to light the fire, whilst so engaged her dress caught fire, burning her so severely she died the same day. Verdict, "Accidental death."

At the house of Mr JELLY, the Seaforth Hotel, Seaforth, touching the death of Henry WILLIAMS, aged 3, son of William WILLIAMS, grocer, Seaforth, who was drowned on the 25th ult. Deceased who was deaf and dumb and also a cripple, was playing by the side of a brook which runs past his parent's house, when he fell in, and although he was taken out almost immediately, he never recovered. Verdict, "Accidentally drowned."

At the house of Mr JOHNSON, Mill Randle Inn, Litherland, relative to the death of William BALSHAW, aged 50, who was run over with a cart on the 27ult, and who died a few hours afterwards. Deceased was a carter in the employ of Mr BEAKBANE, tanner, Litherland and was returning home from Liverpool, about 4pm on the day in question with a load of hides. Whilst going along field Lane to his master's works he was getting on the cart to adjust the load, when his foot slipped and he fell to the ground, and the wheel of the cart passed over his leg and foot, crushing them frightfully and also injuring the lower part of his body. He was immediately conveyed home where he died a few hours afterwards. Verdict, "Accidental death."


Liverpool Mercury, Sept 1st 1863


On Sunday a man named William TAKER, who kept a beerhouse at 22 Gay St, died suddenly while in Duggan's public House, Limekiln Lane, an inquest will be held today.

On Thursday last William DENTITH, of 127 Wolfe St, Toxteth Park, was admitted to the Southern Hospital, suffering from a compound fracture of the skull, caused by falling from a stage in Messers Vernon's shipbuilding yard. He died on Sunday, an inquest will be held today.


Liverpool Mercury, Sept 24th, 1863

Fatal accidents


A fatal accident occurred on Tuesday afternoon to Francis KEMP, aged 24, who resided at Dock Cottages, Birkenhead. The unfortunate young man was a rivetter in the employment of Messers Laird, and at the time of the accident was employed on a high scaffold from which he fell into the dry dock beneath. He sustained severe internal injuries and was conveyed to hospital where he expired the same evening.

Yesterday morning Thomas G. THOMPSON, who resided at Tower Chambers was at work at Mr RIGBY'S warehouse, Sefton St, when a bale of cotton fell upon him, inflicting injuries which caused his death about a quarter of an hour after his admission to the Southern Hospital

On Monday Enoch DUNN, of No 4 court, Clive St, Toxteth Park, fell from a ship in the yard of Messers JONES QUIGGIN and Company, Sefton St, and was so much injured he died the same evening.

Inquests will be held upon the bodies this day.


On Tuesday Agnes BEDDINGTON, aged 6wks, was smothered at the house, 57 Crosbie St. The child was lying asleep in the cradle when its great grandmother Bridget SWEENEY, who is very old, infirm, and blind, sat down upon it thinking the cradle held nothing but oakum. When the mistake was discovered the child was dead. An inquest will be held today.


Liverpool Mercury, Dec 26th 1863

Before Mr Philip F. CURRY, Coroner

On the body of Richard CASTELL0, aged 11 wks, son of John CASTELLO, a labourer of 6 court Brick St. Last Saturday week the mother went to bed taking the child with her. The bed was on the floor and Mrs CASTELLO lighted a candle and struck it against the wall over the side of the bed and went to sleep with the deceased on her arm next to the wall, immediately below the candle which was left burning. In about half an hour she was aroused by a knock at the door, and on getting up found the room full of smoke, and the clothing which the deceased had on, on fire, the candle having fallen off the wall. The child, who was severely burnt on the legs was conveyed to the Southern Hospital, but died from its injuries on Wednesday last. Verdict, "Died from burns" how the burns had been received there was no evidence to show.

On the body of Enoch DOVE, a driller, aged 34, who had been in the employ of Messers JONES QUIGGIN and Co, shipbuilders, Sefton St. On Monday last the deceased and a man named Joseph GARRETT, were on scaffolding erected inside a new vessel in the yard in Sefton St. The scaffolding was composed of 2 10inch planks, and was erected about 13ft from the bottom of the vessel. The deceased was sitting on his tool-box cutting a hole in the vessel's side with a hammer and chisel, when he over balanced and fell backwards over the scaffolding, his head striking the kelson bar at the bottom of the hold. He subsequently died from his injuries. Verdict, "Accidentally killed."

On the body of William WARD, aged 40, cotton porter, who was in the employ of Mr J. B. THOMPSON, cotton broker, Hackin's Hey. On Tuesday last the deceased with other men was employed in a cotton warehouse in Sefton St, delivering Surat cotton. Whilst at work removing some bales of cotton from a pile, the deceased imprudently, and in direct opposition of the advice given by his fellow workmen, removed some of the front bales, which caused the pile to give way, and two of the bales falling against the unfortunate man so crushed him that he died from the effects of his injuries half an hour afterwards. Verdict, "Accidental death."

On the body of John BROGAN, aged 14mths, son of Andrew BROGAN, labourer of 32 Harding St. Mrs BROGAN went to bed last Sunday morning, taking the deceased with her. Before going to bed she struck a candle over the bed. Afterwards she awoke by the alarm of fire, and found the deceased's nightdress in flames, and her own arm burnt. The child was severely burnt on the lower part of the body and was taken to the Southern Hospital, where he died on 21st inst from the effects of his injuries. Verdict, "Accidentally burnt."

On the body of Agnes SCALLAN, illegitimate daughter of Bridget SCALLAN. The deceased was 6 wks old and was nursed by her grandmother at 57 Crosbie St. A girl put the child in a cradle which was partly under a bed and went out. During her absence the child's great grandmother, who was 81, very infirm and nearly blind, came into the room and sat down upon the cradle. The girl who had charge of the deceased came in afterwards and saw the old woman sitting on the cradle on the head of the deceased. She took up the child, which died in a few minutes afterwards. Verdict, "Accidentally suffocated."

2010 all rights reserved