Liverpool Mercury, January 4, 1862

Inquests held yesterday by the borough coroner :-

On the body of John Martin, infant son of James SWEENY, carter, of 5 Harrison St, the deceased who is 6wks old was found dead in bed by his mother on awakening on Wednesday morning, verdict, "Accidentally overlain."

On the body of William HEAPS, labourer, aged 60. About 8.15pm on Wednesday a man named Samuel BAILEY was watching fruit on the quay of the gut between the Canning and George's docks when he saw the deceased going by the harbour master's house towards the gut, he told him he was going the wrong way and directed him towards the bridge. Soon afterwards he saw him turn back and heard a splash in the water. He gave the alarm and in about 20mins the deceased was got out of the water by the police and taken to the receiving-house. A surgeon was sent for but on his arrival life was extinct. The deceased was under the influence of drink when he fell into the water. Verdict, "Found drowned."

On the body of Alice Mary infant daughter of John WILLIAMS, seaman, 126 Green St, who was accidentally overlain on Wednesday night or Thursday morning, verdict accordingly.

On the body of James WIBBY, labourer, of 50 Upper Milk St, aged 46, who for some time past had been addicted to drink. According to his wife he had been drunk every day from Friday to Tuesday. She had an ounce of laudanum in the house in a bottle in the cupboard when she left on Tuesday evening. The deceased was then in the house getting his tea, but was intoxicated. On Wednesday morning she went into the yard and saw him standing there with a half pint drinking cup in his hand, she asked what he had there. He did not tell her, but, said, "A happy new year to you." and drank the contents of the cup, which she found had been laudanum, which he had taken from the cupboard. She also kept a bottle of rum in the cupboard, and believed the deceased mistook the laudanum for the bottle of rum. Mr WARBUTON surgeon at the Northern Dispensary, and applied the usual medicines, but the deceased died the same day. The verdict was to the effect that death was from taking laudanum, but whether it was taken deliberately or by mistake there was no evidence to show.

On the body of William, infant son of John MOULTON, of 61 Newlands St, Breck Rd. On Thursday morning the child was left in a bed quite well, and 20mins after was found dead by his mother, verdict, "Died from natural causes."


Liverpool Mercury, January 6, 1862

Inquests held on Saturday last by the borough coroner :-

On the body of Edward aged 3wks, infant son of Peter BRIARD, seaman, whose wife resides in Bury St. Was found dead in bed by his mother on awakening on Friday morning, verdict, "Accidentally suffocated."

On the body of Rose SMITH, wife of John SMITH, a labourer of 8 Lace St. It appears on Tuesday morning last the deceased was taken ill of labour and was attended by Mrs CEARNEY, a midwife, who came to the conclusion that day that it was a, "doctor's case" as it was a cross birth, and she gave instructions for a medical man to be sent for. Whilst the messenger was getting a doctor another midwife, Mrs DALY, came into the house and said no medical man was required, and that it was not a "cross birth". She also ordered the deceased to get out of bed. The poor woman accordingly got up, and Mrs DALY told her to get on her knees and take hold of two chairs. The midwives afterwards placed her in bed, and in about 10mins she was visited by Dr WHITTLE'S assistant and subsequently by Dr WHITTLE himself, but their services were to no avail and the woman was dead. Mrs CARNEY in her evidence said she gave up the case when Mrs DALY entered the room. Dr WHITTLE who made a post mortem on the body, was of the opinion that had a medical man been sent for in proper time the case would have terminated favourably. He added that grose and culpable ignorance had been displayed in placing the deceased upon her knees. The case was adjourned to obtain additional evidence

On the body of the child of Margaret WILLIAMS, a single woman, that died 20mins after birth, verdict, "Died from natural causes."

On the body of Elizabeth, infant daughter of John POSTLETHWAITE, brassfounder, 6 Back Russell St, who was accidentally overlain on Saturday morning, verdict accordingly

On the body of Ellen, wife of Richard CHAPMAN, shipwright, 13 Jones St, Toxteth Park, aged 65. She would not take a drink for 5 or 6mths and then she would keep it up for a week, sometimes more, sometimes less. She was of a very religious turn, whenever she got drunk she would have the bible before her, and he often told her she would come to some untimely end by her drunkenness and hypocrisy. On Thursday morning she left home saying she was going to Whiteside's public house, Upper Frederick St, in the evening of that day she was found helplessly drunk in an entry between St James St and Frederick St and was taken to the Southern Hospital where she died early the next morning. Verdict, "Died from excessive drinking."


Liverpool Mercury, Jan 14th, 1862

Coroner's inquests held yesterday before Mr P. F. CURRY, Borough Coroner

On the body of Mary child of Joseph NEVERS, stonemason of Aintree St, Athol St. On Christmas Eve the deceased aged 6, was in the house with a younger brother and whilst playing at the fire her clothes caught fire, before the flames could be extinguished her body, arms and neck were severely burnt. Death ensued on Sunday night. Verdict, "Accidental death."

On the body of Mary Ann BENNETT, aged 30, who resided with her brother John BENNETT, a railway porter in Baptist St. The deceased was subject to fits and on the 15th November complained of feeling cold and went into an apartment to warm herself. Whilst at the fire she was seized with a fit her clothes ignited and her body, face and right arm were badly burnt. She was removed to the Northern Hospital where she expired on Sunday. Verdict, "Accidentally burnt."

On the body of John, son of John NUTTALL, brass-finisher who resides in a court in Holly St. The deceased aged 2 was severely scalded on Friday week, by a teapot of scalding tea accidentally falling on him. Death ensued on Saturday last. Verdict, "Accidental death."

On the body of John FOYN, aged 37, a labourer, who kept a beerhouse in Ellenborough St. On Wednesday week the deceased was going into his ale-cellar, when he fell upon his back and injured his arm. The day afterwards he complained of his arm being very painful, on Friday and Saturday the limb was much swollen, and on the recommendation of Mr WHITTEL, surgeon was removed to the Royal Infirmary, where he died on Friday last from erysipelas. Verdict, "Accidental death."


Liverpool Mercury, Jan 14th, 1862

Coroner's inquests held yesterday before Mr P. F. CURRY, Borough Coroner

On the body of James COONEY, a colliery sinker at Wigan, aged 26. He was employed on the 4th September last in a pit belonging to Messers Taylor and Sons, about two and a half miles from Wigan. Whilst he was blasting in the pit a large stone fell upon his back, inflicting a very severe injury, from the effects of which he died in the Northern Hospital in this town on Thursday last from fracture of the spine. Verdict, "Accidental death."


Liverpool Mercury, January 16, 1862

Inquests held by the borough coroner

On the body of John Christopher, son of Christopher SHEIL, painter of 83 Collingwood St. On Friday afternoon the deceased, aged 2, was playing in the street when he was run over by a horse and cart belonging to Mr JOPLIN, brewer and driven by John DAVIES. The poor child was so badly injured he died on Monday. The deceased death was purely an accident and no blame was attributed to the driver. Verdict, "Accidental death."

On the body of the child of Diana WILSON and Francis REDINGTON, who have been living together as man and wife for the last two years, the mother now being 19yrs old. The child was seized with convulsions and died suddenly on Sunday night. A post mortem proved death was the result of natural causes, a verdict to that effect was returned.

On the body of Bernard M'MAHON, a labourer, of 5 court, Carlton St, aged 75, and very feeble. On Monday afternoon he had been gathering chips at the Clarence Graving dock and had just tied them up and carried them away, when he dropped and died almost instantly. Verdict, "Died from natural causes."

On the body of Margaret, infant daughter of James ROSS, a seaman, whose wife resides at 2 Crooked Lane. On Monday the mother took the deceased to bed with her, and fell asleep with the child at her breast, and found the child dead in the morning. Verdict "accidentally suffocated."

On the body of Elizabeth, daughter of Moses RAMSEY, a printer of 2 Boardman Place, Scotland Rd. The deceased aged 13mths was accidentally scalded on Christmas Day and died from the effects on Saturday. Verdict, "Accidentally scalded."


Liverpool Mercury, Jan 17th, 1862

Inquests held yesterday by Mr P. F. CURRY

On the body of Anne Jane, aged 6wks, infant daughter of Richard OSBORNE, a plasterer of Great Homer St, who was found dead in bed with her mother on Wednesday morning, verdict, "Accidentally suffocated."

On the body of Thomas HUDSON, a ship-keeper who resided in Glasgow St, he was 74 and had only one arm. On the evening of the 3rd inst he was proceeding towards the ship Faith, lying in the Queen's Dock, where he was employed to keep watch. In order to reach his own vessel he had to cross the Mary Black, and on doing so he slipped from the rail of the latter vessel upon the main hatch and fractured his thigh. He was removed to the Southern Hospital and died on Tuesday from his injuries. Verdict, "Accidental death."

On the body of Mary Ann ALLANSON, aged 77, wife of James ALLANSON, bricklayer of Newhall St. The deceased had suffered very much from asthma, on Saturday night last she became very ill, and died the following day without being seen by a medical man. Mr H. B. WALTERS surgeon had made a post mortem examination on the body and ascertained that death had resulted from disease of the heart and congestion of the lungs. Verdict, "Died from natural causes."

On the body of Michael aged four and a half, child of Donald REGAN, a labourer of 13 court, Oriel St, who was left by his mother with some other children in a room, and whilst putting a stick in the fire his clothes ignited, and he was severely burnt over his body and arms. Death ensued at the Northern Hospital on Wednesday., "Verdict, "Accidental death>"

On the body of Thomas METCALF, aged 2, child of Robert METCALF, an officer in the Liverpool Police Force, who resides in a court in Villiers St. The child was severely burnt on Christmas Eve during the absence of his mother from the house and death ensued yesterday morning. Verdict, "Accidentally burnt."

On the body of William HARRISON, aged 44, an agent and bailiff, who resided in Bridport St. On Wednesday at 8am he spoke to his housekeeper, and appeared quite well. About 10mins afterwards he was seized with a fit and died almost immediately. Two surgeons were promptly in attendance but their services were to no avail. Verdict, "Died from natural causes."


Liverpool Mercury, Jan 24th 1862

Melancholy Accident

Two boys drowned at Maghull

An accident which resulted in the deaths of two boys by drowning, occurred on Thursday last at Maghull. One of the boys John PRENTON, aged 10, is the son of James PRENTON of Chapel House Farm, the other Cooper EDWARDS was the same age and resided with his grandfather, S. EDWARDS, shoemaker. It appears the boys had been to school and on returning about 5pm, they went to a pond to slide at Mr BOLD'S farm, there were other children there at the time. The two deceased had been on the ice for a short time, when it gave way and both fell into the water. Their companions on the bank saw them struggling, but were unable to render any assistance, and alarm was raised and several men on being made acquainted with the accident went to the spot as quickly as possible, but, so far as saving the lives of the unfortunate youths, their services were unavailing. The body of PRENTON was recovered in a short time, but with difficulty. A search was made for Cooper but up until midnight, the body could not be found. On the following morning another search was made which resulted in finding the body of Cooper. Both of the deceased were taken to their respective homes, where on the following day an inquest was held by the county coroner Mr C. E. DRIFFIELD, the jury returned a verdict of "Accidental death."


Liverpool Mercury, Feb 3rd 1862

Inquests held by the borough coroner on Saturday

On the body of George son of Henry BARTON, paperhanger of 2 Beau Lane. The deceased who was 2yrs old was left in the houseplace for a few minutes on Thursday and during that time his clothes were accidentally ignited by his brother putting a lighted candle near him. He was so badly injured he died on Saturday. Verdict, "Accidentally burned."

On the body of Fanny Julia POWER, whose dress accidentally caught fire whilst performing at the Theatre Royal a few days ago. William Robert COPELAND stated he was lessee of the Theatre Royal, the deceased was a ballet dancer and actor, aged 20, the daughter of Robert and Fanny POWER. She was burnt on the 16th Jan and died on the 30th Jan. On the 16th she was dancing in the pantomime at the Theatre Royal, between 9 and 10 the witness was in the greenroom, when he heard a scream and rushed out to ascertain the cause, and met the deceased with her dress in flames coming from the stage. He had his overcoat on his arm and with assistance it was wrapped around her and the fire put out. She was then taken home to Wilton St. Maria JONES said she was a ballet dancer at the Theatre Royal, and on the night of the 16th was dancing with her at the pantomime, between 9 and 10 they were retiring from the stage at the conclusion of one part of the ballet, the deceased was stooping when she got off the stage looking at her shoes, when the binder part of the skirt lifted as she was in the act of stooping, and her dress caught fire from a gas jet placed at the side of the wing. The fire was put out and she was taken home, being badly burnt over her body and arms. Mr COPELAND said every precaution was taken to prevent accidents. verdict, "Accidentally burnt."

On the body of Jane infant daughter of James STROYAN, poulterer, 21 Warren St, who was suddenly taken ill and died on Thursday evening. A post mortem showed death was due to natural causes, a verdict to that effect was returned.


Liverpool Mercury, Feb 4th 1862

Inquests held by the borough coroner yesterday

On the body of Robert TURTON, corn sampler, in the employ of Messers Ross Smith and Co. On Saturday morning PC No 307, was on duty at the Toxteth Dock and heard someone crying out for help, running to the slip he saw a man struggling in the river. Grapples were obtained but the body wasn't recovered until an hour afterwards, and was taken to the Southern Hospital, and subsequently identified by the widow of the deceased. The unfortunate man was seen on the slip just before he was struggling in the water, there was no evidence to show how he got into the water, the jury returned a verdict of, "Found drowned."

On the body of David FINLAY, aged 34, of 7 Wood St, East, Lowhill. The deceased left home at 8.30am on Saturday, telling his wife he was going to the docks to see if he could get something to do. On Sunday morning his dead body was found lying on a sandbank near the entrance to the Manchester basin, having been left there by the tide, there was no evidence to show how he got into the water, the jury returned a verdict of, "Found drowned."

On the body of Peter son of Patrick SUTTON, of 17 court Chisendale St. The deceased aged 3, was accidentally burnt about 3 days ago whilst playing with other children, having set his pinafore on fire with a piece of lighted paper, and died from the effects on Friday, verdict, "Accidentally burnt."

On the body of Enos SETH, steward on the ship British Queen lying in the Brunswick Dock, who was cut across the abdomen with a razor by Hezekiah GREEN, the cook of the vessel on Tuesday last. On the morning in question the deceased went into the galley and began to scold the cook about not having put out some lights which ought to have been extinguished the night previous. GREEN answered in what the deceased considered an impudent manner, and the latter was about to strike him, when GREEN took out a razor and cut him right across the abdomen, inflicting a horrible wound. He was removed to the Southern Hospital, where every attention was given to him but it was seen from the first that he could not possibly recover. He died on Saturday night, the results of a post mortem showed a large quantity of blood had effused into the cavity of the abdomen. Inflammation, the consequence of this effusion was the cause of death. The jury returned a verdict of "Wilful murder" against Hezekiah GREEN, who was committed for trial at the assizes under the coroner's warrant.


Liverpool Mercury, Mar 3rd, 1862

Coroner's Inquests

On the body of Ann wife of John PAINTIN, joiner No1 court, Vauxhall Rd. On Thursday morning the deceased, aged 45, was about to hang a blanket on a line in the yard of her house, when she slipped and fell down a flight of steps, she was picked up insensible and never spoke afterwards. She sustained a fractured skull and died the following day. Verdict, "Accidentally killed by a fall."

On the body of Catherine wife of Patrick MONKS, car driver, in the employ of Mr JONES, Cook St, who resides in Naylor St. According to son's evidence [who is a corkcutter], the deceased was 60 and addicted to drink, the last time he saw her was on the night of Thursday week and she was then very tipsy. At midnight that night his father woke him and told him that his, "unfortunate mother had fallen downstairs" She told him that "the policeman had come knocking at the door," and on going down for the purpose of shutting or making it fast she fell down stairs. Her head was severely cut by coming in violent contact with the door, and she died on Friday from her injuries. Verdict, "Accidentally killed from falling down stairs whilst in a state of intoxication."


2010 All Rights Reserved