Liverpool Mercury, January 1, 1861

Coroner's inquests held yesterday by Mr CURRY, coroner

On the body of Eliza infant daughter of James MASON, engine fitter, 43 Darwen St. On Sunday night the mother fell asleep with the child at her breast, and on awakening at 5am the following morning found the child dead, verdict, "Accidentally suffocated."

On the body of William infant son of William COWAN, keeper of a coalyard in Roscoe Lane, yesterday morning the child was found dead, the mother fell asleep with the child at her breast, and on awakening found the child dead, verdict, "Accidentally suffocated."

On the body of Elizabeth aged 60, wife of John GLOVER a carter. On Friday evening the deceased was found dead in a petty belonging to a house in No7 court, Gascoigne St. She was of very intemperate habits and when she entered the water closet was intoxicated and refused uttering a horrible curse, to leave the place when asked to do so by the neighbour. She was quite dead when found, and had been lying on the floor some 5 or 6hrs. Verdict, "Died from excessive drinking."

On the body of John MAXWELL, a tailor, who lodged at his brother's house, 46 St Thomas's Buildings. He had for some time been in the habit of drinking to excess and was very drunk on Saturday. He was intoxicated when he went to his room and was found dead in bed by a fellow lodger. Verdict, "Died from excessive drinking."

On the body of Frederick, infant son of Frederick SARGENT, Customís Officer, 64 Lovatt St, Edgehill. On Sunday night the mother took the infant to bed with her and found him dead by her side the next morning. "Verdict, "Found dead."

On the body of Charles NEWMAN of 95 Gordon St, a watchman in the employment of Messers MACIVER, this town. On Saturday morning he was engaged at the Huskisson Dock, when he suddenly fell down upon the quay, he was conveyed to the porter stores, a medical man was sent for, but, he died within a few minutes. He had for some time complained of pain at his heart. Verdict, "Died from natural causes."

On the body of Mark, infant son of Mark BROUGHTON, licensed victualler, Price St. On Sunday morning the mother found the child dead at her breast, verdict, "Accidentally suffocated in bed."


Liverpool Mercury, January 3, 1861

The following inquests were held yesterday before the borough coroner, Mr P. F. CURRY :-

On the body of an infant 3wks old, son of George FUTHEY, soapboiler, who reside in a court in Dryden St. Mr Edward ADAM, surgeon, assistant to Dr ACKERLEY, stated deceased was brought to the surgery at 2am on Sunday, evidently suffering from the effects of some narcotic. The mother said she had given the child two drops of laudanum, two drops would be quite sufficient for so young a child. The jury returned a verdict of "Chance medley."

On the body of a soldier belonging to the 47th Regiment of Foot, name unknown, found dead in a railway carriage on Tuesday afternoon by the ticket collector at the Edge Hill station of the London and North-western Railway. The train arrived at the station at 2.35, and a 2nd class ticket from Bolton was found on the person of the deceased also two Crimean medals, a Turkish medal, and a British one with two clasps, with the name of James MEARS No 2843 on them. Mr AYRTON, surgeon, having made a post mortem examination on the body, stated the cause of death to have been congestion of the lungs, accelerated by intemperance and exposure to the cold. Verdict accordingly.

Jan 4th 1861

Sudden Death, the soldier James MEARS, of the 47th Foot, found dead in the railway carriage on Wednesday was travelling from Manchester to this town.

On the body of a child 3mths old daughter of Thomas SHEPHERD, cooper, Richmond Row. Deceased was accidentally overlain by the mother. Verdict accordingly.

On the body of a child 4mths old, daughter of a tailor named Thomas M'DONOUGH, Trowbridge St. Deceased was accidentally overlain by the mother. Verdict accordingly.

On the body of John O'BYRNE, shoemaker, aged 45, of Elliott St, Prince Edward St. Deceased had been drinking for 2 days and on the previous evening, whilst proceeding along Park Lane stumbled and fell heavily on the foot walk, which produced a serious wound to the head, from the effects of which he died. Adjourned to await a post mortem examination.

On the body of Ann JONES, a widow, who lived in a court in Newsham St. Deceased a woman of intemperate habits died suddenly after a fall in Kew St, Great Homer St, on Monday night. Adjourned to await a post mortem examination

Jan 4th 1861

Coroner's inquests

The inquests on Ann JONES and John O'BYRNE adjourned from the preceding day, in order that a post mortem may be made was resumed yesterday, In the case of O'BYRNE the verdict was, "Died from injuries received from a fall whilst in a state of intoxication, " and in the case of JONES, "Found dead in the street and died from apoplexy from natural causes."


Liverpool Mercury, January 4, 1861

Singular case of concealment of sex

Last week died in Rigby's yard, Scholes, Wigan, aged 97, a woman whose name is believed to have been Betty LAVIN, and respecting whom certain facts have lately come to light which have invested every particular of her life and habits with considerable interest. For about 50yrs Betty resided in Wigan, and during the whole of that period she was known as John MURPHY, having appropriated the garb and assumed the habits of a man, and this so successfully that none discovered the cheat, or even, so far as we can learn, had their suspicions aroused. During her residence in Wigan she followed the occupation of hawker, and as such became known to a large circle of customers, she was also on the relieving-officer's books for the last twelve months, and having been ill she was visited by Mr HESTON, union surgeon. To all these she was known as the man John MURPHY, and, what is still more singular, she did not previous to her decease inform any person of the deceit she had so long practised. As John MURPHY she lived and died, as John MURPHY her death was registered by the surgeon, and it was only at the last moment, when the final offices previous to interment were being performed for the dead, that it was discovered under a fictitious name, and in an assumed habit, she must have lived for so many years. "John" resided in the house in which she died for a long time, and she regularly slept underneath the stairs, during that period, whether from fear of discovery cannot of course be stated. On her becoming ill the necessity of removing to some more convenient resting place than this was frequently shown to her, but she obstinately refused to change her quarters. At last it became absolutely necessary that she should be removed, and she had then to be taken by force to a "settle" in the house, upon which she lay until her death.


Liverpool Mercury, Saturday, January 12, 1861

The following inquests were held yesterday before the borough coroner, Mr P. F. CURRY :-

On the body of Robert REDHEAD, aged 21, a carter in the employ of Thomas KIRKPATRICK, and who resided with his sister in Elm Grove, Tatlock St. On Thursday afternoon he was at the Stanley Dock with his horse and cart and he was standing by the horse' head, near the railway there, when a passing wagon caught him and he was jammed between the point of the shaft of the cart, he was taken to the Northern Hospital and died in about 2hrs after admission. Verdict, "Accidental death."

On the body of Cornelius Justus Van NOORDEN, who died soon after admission to the Northern Hospital on Wednesday. It appears the deceased was surgeon on the ship Margaretha Johanna of Amsterdam, Captain Karel Leonard VERSTCHAUR had been sent to the latter by his owners from Amsterdam as he was bound for Batavia. He joined the ship on the 22nd of November in this port, and he appeared to be very strange in his manner from the first. Sometimes he would act rationally and converse in a sensible manner, and others he would sit down and behave very strangely, talking incoherently. On Wednesday he was found in his berth in a state of insensibility and was removed to the Northern Hospital , where it was found that he had taken a strong dose of acetate of morphia. A verdict was returned to that effect that the deceased destroyed himself while labouring under a fit of temporary insanity.

On the body of Stephen LAMB, aged 66, belonging to Northwich, Cheshire, and captain of the flat phoebe of that place. He had been missing since Friday week and yesterday his body was found in the Queen's basin close to where his flat was lying. There was no evidence to show how he got into the water and a verdict of "Found drowned" was returned.


Liverpool Mercury, January 15, 1861

The following inquests were held yesterday before the borough coroner:-

On the body of Emma FLETCHER, aged 39, of No 5 Grove, Atherton St. It appears that the deceased, whose husband is at present in gaol was much addicted to intemperance and about a week ago was in a public house in Netherfield Rd, where a man who was with her knocked her down and kicked her. The woman was taken ill soon afterwards and died on Friday last. Mr A. C. HUGHES who attended the deceased during her illness and who had made a post mortem was of the opinion that death was due to natural causes and a verdict to that effect was returned. Her family of five children are left in a state of destitution, the deceased having pledged nearly all their clothes.

On the body of Joseph JACKSON, a stonemason, aged 24 of Bootle. On Saturday last the deceased and some other men were working on some scaffolding at the wall of the Clarence Dock pier, when the board on which they were standing was accidentally upset, and two of them were precipitated into the water, which was running out very fast at the time. One man was saved, the deceased was swept away by the tide and drowned. The body was recovered the same day on the shore between the Clarence and Salisbury Docks. A verdict of "Accidentally drowned" was returned.

On the body of Jeremiah DELANEY, apprentice cooper, aged 19. On the 12th ult the young man was employed in Mr HORSFALL'S cooperage dressing a stave which broke in two, the knife slipped and cut him severely on the cap of the knee. He was promptly attended by Dr HILL and removed to his residence in Stewart St and subsequently to the Royal Infirmary where he died yesterday morning from the injury he received. Verdict, "Accidental death."

On the body of John JOHNSON, aged 4, who resided with his parents in 9 court, Eccles St. During the absence of the mother from the house on Saturday night last, the deceased was in the act of lifting the lid off a saucepan which was on the fire, when his clothes ignited, he was severely burned all over the body. The child was immediately taken to the Vauxhall Dispensary where the injuries were dressed, but death ensued on Sunday. Verdict, "Accidental death."

On the body of Edward SMITH, a carter in the employ of Messers M'FIE, sugar refiners, Batchelor St. On Thursday morning last a puncheon was whiskey was being hoisted in the usual manner into the warehouse of Messers MOORE VICKERS and Co, spirit merchant whose premises adjoin those of Messers M'FIE, and a man named William HOLYWELL was standing in the warehouse window, about 19ft from the street to receive the puncheon. Upon the puncheon reaching the sill of the window, one end of the sling came off, and it fell on the deceased who was in the street at the time rolling an empty cask. SMITH was severely injured and was removed to the Northern Hospital, where he died on Saturday. Mr BENSON foreman of Messers MOORE VICKERS and Co, in his evidence thought there was some negligence on the part of HOLYWELL, in not getting someone to assist him in getting the puncheon into the warehouse, HOLYWELL, however was doing his best at the time, and was a steady and skilful man. Mr BLACK appeared to watch the case for HOLYWELL, and Mr PARKER for the widow of the deceased. The jury thought that HOLYWELL had been guilty of neglect, but not to such an extent as to render him liable to a charge of manslaughter. Verdict, "Accidental death."

On the body of Elizabeth ASHCROFT, a disreputable young woman, who resided in Ben Johnson St and was found dead in bed on Saturday last. Medical evidence showed death had resulted from inflammation of the lungs and disease of the heart, and a verdict of, "Died from natural causes" was returned.


Liverpool Mercury, January 23, 1861

On the body of Samuel WHALEY, found in a pit of water in Parliament-fields on Sunday morning last, Mr Robert LIGHTFOOT, timber merchant, St Jame's Place, identified the body, stating he was well acquainted with the deceased. He was 38 and had been removing officer for the Toxteth Board of Guardians, but had resided lately in Chester. On about the 30th November last Mr LIGHTFOOT, was going to a timber sale, when he met the deceased who went with him. After their return he parted with WHALEY, he met the latter coming out of the Warwick Hotel, Stanhope St, he was rather intoxicated. He never saw him afterwards. Evidence having been taken of the finding of the body underneath the ice on the pond, the jury returned a verdict of "Found drowned."

On the body of Patrick, infant son of Patrick BRENNAN, of No 4 court, Oriel St. On Saturday week the mother of the deceased was frying some meat, the child playing about the fire place at the time. He fell down and struck the handle of the frying pan, which was upset and the boiling gravy spilled upon him, scalding him so severely he died on Sunday last. Verdict, "Accidentally scalded."

On the body of James RODDY, dock labourer, 28 court Stewart St, On Wednesday week he was in work on the deck of a new ship in the Sandon Graving Dock, when he fell into the hold receiving severe injuries to the head and back. He died on Sunday last. Verdict, "Accidentally killed."

On the body of John BARTON, aged 73, hawker of fruit, who lodged at 12 Johnson St. On Saturday week he had a severe fall injuring one of his hips, he died from the effects while being removed to the workhouse on Saturday last. Verdict of, "Died from natural causes"

On the body of Thomas DOWLING, aged 11 son of Michael DOWLING, joiner of Water St, Edgehill, who was accidentally drowned whilst sliding on the ice on a pit near Wavertree Rd on Saturday last. Verdict, "Accidentally drowned."


Liverpool Mercury, July 13th 1861

Coroner's inquests held yesterday before the borough coroner

On the body of Peter HENNESSY, aged 2mths, who was found dead in bed with Mary HENNESSY, the mother on Thursday morning. Verdict, "Accidentally overlain by the mother."

On the body of John HARDMAN, portmanteau-maker, aged 36, of 30 Back Bridport St. He was much addicted to drink and because of his intemperate habits was lately discharged from his employment. On Thursday evening he refused to have anything to eat and between 8 and 9pm was found suspended by the neck with a scarf to the railing of the stairs. The unfortunate man was quite dead when cut down. Verdict "Committed suicide whilst labouring under temporary insanity."

On the body of Catherine LEWIS, aged 68, of Chesterfield St. The deceased who was very infirm fell down stairs on Tuesday evening last, and died 2hrs later. Verdict, "Accidental death".

On the body of James SHAW, aged 23, carter, in the employ of Mrs LOFTHOUSE, Mill St. At 8am yesterday the deceased was proceeding with his cart through Exchange St East towards Dale St, when he stopped with the view of resting his horse. Whilst thus occupied, a lorry driven by John CALLAGHAN came up and caught the wheel of the deceased's cart which was forced round. The deceased was caught by the fore part of the shaft of the cart, and was jammed against the back part of the lorry. The poor fellow walked to Exchange Place, but died 10mins after the accident, his chest being terribly crushed. There did not appear to be any blame to the driver of the lorry and the jury returned a verdict of, Accidental death".

On the body of William BREWSTER a rigger, aged 60 of Dickenson St. The deceased, stated to be a strong, healthy man, partook of a hearty dinner as 12 on Thursday. 2 or 3 hrs afterwards he was going through Sparling St, when he suddenly fell and became speechless. A police officer removed him to the Southern Hospital where it was found he was dead. Verdict, "Died from natural causes."


Liverpool Mercury, Nov 5th, 1861

Murder and suicide

On Saturday afternoon the dead body of a child about 12mths old was found in a pit in a field near Gravestown, Ashton, Preston. The child was found to be very neatly dressed, its clothing was some of it quite new, and it had evidently been the object of anxious care. The pit was dragged yesterday [Sunday] morning and the body of a fine young woman about 25 yrs old was found. This and the body of the child were removed to the Plough Inn in Ashton. The body of the woman has been identified by a young man named John PRESTON, piecer of Preston, as that of Hannah WRIGHT, the daughter of a ferryman living at Warton, near Blackpool, and he states the child was hers.


On the body of Mary Ellen QUIRK, aged 2, who was killed by falling down stairs, verdict, "Accidental death."

On the body of Sarah ROBERTS, aged 59, wife of Thomas ROBERTS, a painter of Gerard St. A fortnight ago her daughter was taken to a lunatic asylum, and since then the deceased had been addicted to intemperance. On Friday night she was in Pitt St in a state of intoxication, nothing further was heard of her until Saturday morning when her body was found in the Harrington Dock. There was no evidence to show how she got into the dock, verdict, "Found drowned."

On the body of Michael Joseph TROY, aged 6, son of a hostler of Skelhorne St. The deceased was on Friday during the temporary absence of his mother, set fire to his night clothes, and was so severely injured that death ensued on the same day in the Royal Infirmary, verdict, "Accidental death."

On the body of Jane ELLIS, aged 21, who was servant to Mr HUTCHINSON, grocer, Pitt St. Mr GROCOTT appeared to watch the case on behalf of Mr HUTCHINSON. In the shop outside the counter, there is a trapdoor, for the purpose of passing goods through into the cellar, and on Friday morning soon after the shutters were taken down, a boy removed the door of the trap, and left it open whilst he went upstairs to inform his master that a customer wanted him. During the boy's absence the girl fell through the trapdoor into the cellar, a depth of about 6ft, and sustained such injuries that death ensued at the Southern Hospital on the same day, a verdict of, "Accidental death," was returned

Copyright 2010/ To date