Liverpool Mercury, Monday, January 2, 1860

Fatal fall over a bucket

On Friday night, John MERCER, an old man of No2 court Bartlem St, fell across a bucket in his own house and fractured a number of ribs and received other internal injuries from which he died in a few hours. He was intoxicated at the time. An inquest was held on Saturday and a verdict of "Accidental death" was returned


Yesterday afternoon a painful and melancholy occurrence took place at a house in Chatham St. A domestic servant named Jane CROWE, aged 29, had been suffering under the influence of a violent fever which appears to have affected her mind. During a fit of temporary insanity she obtained possession of a razor and inflicted a frightful wound to her throat, which produced death almost instantaneously. When discovered by a fellow servant who had occasion to enter the room all signs of life were extinct. She had been several years in the same family, by whom she was held in the highest esteem.

An inquest was held on Saturday last before Mr CHURTON, on the body of a greengrocer, named WHITE, of Chester Rd, Birkenhead. The unfortunate man had been drunk for several days and on Sunday week, while suffering from delirium tremens, forced himself up the chimney in the room where he was confined, and, there being a fire in the grate at the time, his clothes ignited, and he was severely burned all over the body before his keepers discovered him. He was removed to the hospital in Hamilton Square where he died on Friday. The jury found a verdict of "Died from natural causes accelerated by drink."


Liverpool Mercury, Tuesday, January 3, 1860

A child 3mths old, the daughter of a shoemaker named Robert BARCLAY, who resides in a cellar at 38 Northumberland St, was overlain by its parents on Saturday evening last.

An inquest was held yesterday before the borough coroner on the body of a German gentleman, named Bernard MONCRIFF, who committed suicide on Saturday evening by taking a large dose of laudanum. The deceased a man of respectable appearance, about 37yrs old possessed a knowledge of several European languages and is said to be the author of several works. For the past fortnight he had lodged of Mr J. E. HILES, 37 Clarence Grove, Everton, to whom he represented himself as a bookkeeper out of employment. He also told Mr HILES that he had formerly been in affluent circumstances but had become reduced. On Thursday last he complained of being unwell and was in low spirits, he continued much depressed and Mrs HILES stated, "she had never seen a smile upon his face during the fortnight he was in her house." On Saturday he wanted to borrow a small sum on money and took out a small timepiece, which he did not bring back. Mrs HILES told him he need not trouble himself about her account and that if he wanted anything she would get it for him, but he replied, "It's no matter, I must have a few shillings, and I can get it from a friend." He then went out again but returned shortly afterwards and afterwards went to bed, never being afterwards seen alive. On Sunday afternoon, as he did not make his appearance and nothing was heard in his room, Mrs HILES became alarmed and with a neighbour and a policeman she entered the room, and discovered the deceased lying on the bed with his face resting in a sponge dish. Mr HARRICK, surgeon was immediately called for and pronounced life extinct. An open prayer book and bible were found upon the bedroom table, and also a bottle which had contained chloroform. Mr DAKIN, druggist, 12 Church St, yesterday, deposed that he sold 8s-6d worth of chloroform 8oz to the deceased on Saturday last in the bottle found in the bedroom. The following letters, one to Mrs Maria ROSS, 40 Netherfield Rd, with whom the deceased had formerly lodged, and the other to Mrs HILES, where found in the bedroom.

My dear Mrs HILES - My mental suffering is indescribable and I fear that I shall soon die of a broken heart, if not of its madness. I am grateful to you for the kind regards you have shown me, and I shall pray in heaven for you and your family. I wish that my effects remain with you, as a poor compensation for the painful trouble you will be subjected to and in payment of the debt I owe you. As soon as you perceive my deplorable state please send across for the rev gentleman, and be particularly careful that my papers which are in the parlour chest shall be handed over to a responsible party. I beg your pardon ;- Your unfortunate, Bernard MONCRIFF, Dec 28 1859.

37 Clarence Grove Dec 28th 1859

Dear Mrs ROSS - I fear when you read this I may be dead. An old friend who was my only friend on earth, has for the last two years deceived me with precise promises of getting me a situation, and now he has abandoned me in the greatest distress, my heart is broken. Now you will know the secret of my miserable diet and why I was sitting in a room without fire, dispensing even with milk and tea, subsisting mainly on bread, potatoes and sugar water, a diet which has so often plagued me with dysentery, and which has all but ruined my constitution. I am grateful for the kindness you have shown me during my long stay with you, and be sure that in heaven I shall pray for all of you. I beg your pardon ;- remember kindly your unfortunate, B. MONCRIFF.

The jury returned a verdict to the effect that the deceased had committed suicide whilst labouring under temporary insanity.


Liverpool Mercury, January 4, 1860

Wilful murder at the Mersey Forge

An inquest was held yesterday before the borough coroner on the body of Samuel MORRIS, aged 18, who lived with his mother in No 3 court Frank St, Toxteth Park. Deceased had been employed in Messers Horsfall, Mersey Forge Works, for 2yrs. Last Thursday morning he was sent with another man to clean out the flues inside the boiler, they went into the boiler and had been there a short time, when some person, in the absence of the engine driver, opened the valve and turned the steam on. The poor men were both severely burned and were taken to the Southern Hospital, where MORRIS died on Sunday. The jury retuned a verdict of, "Wilful murder against some person or persons unknown."

A fatal, "Spree"

Two men, stated to be grooms, named Richard SIDEBOTHAM and Thomas JONES, who reside in Tuebrook, West Derby, whilst in a state of intoxication determined to finish their "spree" by crossing from Liverpool to Cheshire. They crossed to Woodside at 4am yesterday, and proceeded along the embankment to Seacombe. When near the Canada Works SIDEBOTHAM fell into the Great Float, which is at present empty of water, a distance of 30ft and was killed on the spot. In searching for his dead companion JONES lowered himself down a crane but he also fell a depth of 15ft, and had to remain in a barrow until daylight, when he was discovered by workmen. The body of the dead man was removed to the Grand Junction public house, and JONES, who had a narrow escape from sharing the terrible fate of his companion was taken to hospital.

The following inquests were held yesterday before the borough coroner, Mr P. F. CURRY :-

On the body of Elizabeth BROWN aged 52 of 33 Bostock St. On Monday afternoon the deceased accompanied by her son and some other persons, went to the Sandon Graving Dock. Going over the dock gates she slipped and fell from a height of 35ft to the bottom of the dock. She was found in a pool of blood and was taken to the Northern Hospital. She never spoke after the fall. Verdict, "Accidentally killed."

On the body of John KELLY, aged 13, son of John KELLY master mariner, residing at 130 Bedford St, Park. The deceased with other lads was playing in Parliament Fields on Monday afternoon, in climbing over a wall in Prince's Park Rd, he fell and was hurst so severely he died as he was being conveyed home. Verdict, "Accidentally killed."


Liverpool Mercury, January 4, 1860

Matricide by a woman

On Friday Mr CURRY held an inquest on the body of an elderly woman, named Catherine SMITH, who died in the Liverpool Workhouse from injuries inflicted on the 7th inst by her daughter a widow named Caroline BROCKLEBANK. They lived together at 3 Boundary Terrace, Bute St, and according to the evidence of Ellen BEETON, a single woman living in the house, the daughter often quarrelled with her mother and caused BEETON to remonstrate. After the fatal quarrel of the 7th, BEETON on returning from the bakehouse, found the old woman, "all out and bleeding" and SMITH said she had been beaten and turned out of the house by her daughter. She was removed to the workhouse, and her daughter went to announce her removal to BEETON. "I am glad they have taken her, and I hope she will died." Two days afterwards, Mr G. HOLT, accompanied by Mr R. ELLIS, assistant clerk to the magistrates, attended at the workhouse to take the deposition of the dying woman, which was as follows :-

"About three or four o'clock on Wednesday afternoon, the 7th of December, my daughter gave me 6d to get half a pound of ham, which I paid for and brought to her, and whilst I was out I got some drink. When I returned, she said, "Mother, are you there ?" I said, "Yes", and without saying another word she struck me about the neck with her fist. I fell on the fender and bruised my left arm, and the right side of my head came against the bars of the fire grate. I had no ill-usage from the prisoner before for the last two years. She was in drink when she struck me."

The daughter, who was present in custody, cross-examined her mother, who, however, persisted in her statement.

Mr John PRYTHERCH one of the surgeons at the workhouse, said the deceased when admitted was much bruised about the head, face and neck. There was a severe wound three inches in length, and extended to the bone on the outer side of the right orbit, the swelling from which completely obstructed the sight of the eye. The injuries were the cause of death.

It was further proved that on Saturday last the daughter visited her mother and said, "May the curse of God fall on you for saying I hit you!" The jury returned a verdict of "Manslaughter" against Caroline BROCKLEBANK

The Coroner said in his opinion it was a case of murder.

The Foreman of the Jury, replied that as the deceased in her dying declaration stated that the prisoner had not ill-used her for two years previously, they thought it was only manslaughter.


Liverpool Mercury, Jan 13th, 1860

Sudden death at Rock Ferry

The adjourned in quest on the body of William ROBY, who died suddenly on Monday last, on the road from Dacre Hall to Rock Lane, was held last evening at Mr Crafter's Derby Arms Hotel, Rock Ferry, before Mr CHURTON, coroner. Mr HAMILTON, surgeon was called and he stated he had made a post mortem examination on the body and ascertained that death had resulted from a ruptured left ventricle of the heart. It will be remembered that Mr HAMILTON was passing along the road at the time the man was taken ill, and having directed that a drink of water be given him passed on. Last evening in reply to a question asked by one of the jury, he said, he did not consider the man in danger at the time, but supposed he was merely in a fainting fit. Another juryman said he thought such a reply did not say much for Mr HAMILTON'S practise, he ought to have known the man was dying by feeling his pulse. The coroner said the juryman was under a misapprehension, it was one of those cases which would take any medical man by surprise. The jury returned a verdict of, "Died by the visitation of God" and no blame was attributed to Mr HAMILTON.

Inquests held yesterday by Mr CURRY

On the body of Joseph KEARNEY, aged 2mths, son of Daniel KEARNEY, boot and shoemaker, residing at 10 Craven St, who was found dead in bed, verdict, "Found suffocated."

On the body of Mary HARRISON, aged 17mths, whose parents lived at 71 Kew St, who was accidentally scalded on Monday, verdict, "Accidentally scalded."

On the body of Daniel M'LAUGHLAN, who was found burnt to death in 6 court, St Andrew St, verdict, "Found burnt" how he came so there was no evidence to show.

On the body of James M'ALISTER, whose parents lived at 13 Mogul St, and was scalded on the 2nd inst, by a pot of boiling water falling on him, verdict, "Accidentally scalded."


Liverpool Mercury, April 25th 1860

On Monday Betsy, the wife of Edward JONES, boilermaker of Callow Terrace, Tatlock St, was killed by falling down stairs. An inquest will take place this day.

Yesterday William YATES, who resided in the Potteries, died in the Northern Hospital, from the effects of injuries received at the Mersey Forge on the 20th inst. An inquest will take place this day.

Coroner's court

The following inquest were held yesterday by Mr CURRY, coroner

On the body of Elizabeth, infant daughter of John KENNEDY, marine-store dealer, 60 Lower Harrington, who was accidentally overlain on Sunday morning. Verdict accordingly.

On the body of Rose Ann, wife of William NELSON, ship's cook, lodging at 9 Parry St. The deceased was found dead on the floor of her bedroom on Monday morning. A post mortem showed she died from asphyxia, a verdict to that effect was returned.

On the body of Samuel Bentley, aged 11, son of Joseph COWDEN, joiner, Berwick-buildings, Brownlow St. Deceased was severely injured on the 13th inst by a flag stone from the roof of a passage falling upon him. He was taken to the Royal Infirmary, where he died on Monday morning last. Verdict, "Accidentally killed."


Liverpool Mercury, Dec 3rd, 1860

Inquests held on Saturday before Mr P. F. CURRY Esq, borough coroner :-

On the body of Dorothy HOLCROFT, aged 79, the deceased and her son by her first husband, [Peter LAMB] made a living by bringing coals in a flat down the canal from Kirkless Hall colliers to Liverpool. On Friday about 10 o’ clock they left Liverpool on their return up the canal and when they arrived at Miller’s Bridge, the flat which the deceased was steering was the middle one of three. The first flat was driven against the bank by the flat coming down, and the rudder of the vessel the deceased was steering came into collision with the bow of the hindmost flat. The violence of the collision caused the tiller to strike the woman and she fell upon the flat coming down, and afterwards into the canal. She was got onboard and taken to the locks, and thence removed in a car to the Northern Hospital, where it was found she had fractured both thighs, of these injuries she died soon after admission. Her two sons stated there was no blame attributed to anyone and the jury returned a verdict of -accidental death.

On Hugh SMITH a joiner residing in John St, Warwick St, Toxteth Park, aged 59 - Elizabeth HERD daughter of the deceased deposed that on Sunday afternoon last the deceased and his wife had some unkind words, when, he went out and said he was going to St James St and would soon be back. He went to Matthews Spirit Vaults on corner of Bird St, in St James St, where he had three glasses of ale, Mr MATTHEWS said he was talking to the deceased some time, he did not appear in an excited state although he appeared to have been drinking before he came there. The deceased then took out his watch and said it was past nine, he would go home, he then left, witness never saw him again until he saw him in the dead house. John MC HALE said he was on the bank outside the Coburg Dock on Friday morning when he found the body left high and dry by the tide. He called a PC and the body was removed to the dead house, where he was searched and 9s was found but the watch was missing. Jury returned a verdict if - found drowned.

On Ann HUMPHREYS a single woman, late residence unknown, aged 19, who was found drowned in the canal last Friday. Catherine WHALLEY, who resided in 45 Highfield St deposed, - I knew the deceased she was formerly in the service of Mr FARLEY, butcher, and was a well conducted young woman. Her brother sent her £12 to fit her out and to pay her passage to Boston in America, where he resides. On or about the 16th August last I went with her and she paid her passage to Boston by the SEA KING, and she went on board and took her luggage the following day. I saw nothing of her until last Wednesday, when she came to my house. I was surprised to see her, and I said, “I thought you were in America.” She said, “No, I did not go out on the ship, for John MC NALLY, a young man with whom I had been keeping company, brought me ashore from the ship that night, and the next morning the ship sailed without me.” She said she got a situation then in Paddington, but, her mistress discovered she was in the family way, and she had to leave her service, but, refused to say where she had been sleeping since. She said that MC NALLY had promised her marriage, but she found he had only deceived her. She appeared in great distress and cried bitterly. At about 11pm that night she rose up and said, “I must go the woman I am stopping with will be waiting for me.” and she left the house and was not seen again until she was found in the canal. I saw an recognised her body in the deadhouse. Matthew CUNNINGHAM deposed to finding the dead body of the deceased in the canal by the muck quay where he was grappling for coals. The jury wished John MC NALLY to be present to give an account of his conduct and the inquest was adjourned until today [Monday] for that purpose.

On the body of Bridget BROWN, aged 45, wife of Thomas BROWN lodging house keeper, 103 Great Howard St. The deceased who was very much addicted to drink went to bed drunk on Friday night about 12 o’ clock. Her husband went to bed at about 3am, and thought the deceased was then asleep. When he woke at 5am he found her dead by his side. Dr HILL was called and examined her and said she was dead, and had been so a considerable time.. The jury requested Dr HILL be called and the inquest was adjourned until today.

On the body of Joseph ASPINALL, a painter living in Back Walnut St, who died on Friday last at the infirmary from injuries received in Egypt St on the previous Saturday night. From the evidence elicited at the inquest it appeared that on Saturday night week a man named FARRINGTON, and two others John MILES and George PLAYER were drinking at Toleman’s beerhouse Egypt St. They left about 11 to go home, MILES being in liquor, and on reaching the street met two men, one of them known as Owen CURRAN. Some words ensued when one of the men attempted to strike MILES. FARRINGTON interfered between them, when he was knocked down by CURRAN, MILES was also knocked down. The deceased was not there at the time. Just as the quarrel was concluding the deceased appeared and tried to get MILES away, the two men previously referred to have then gone into a house kept by James MC KENNA. Shortly afterwards the men returned armed with pokers, and one of them struck the deceased a violent blow on the head. It was said not to be CURRAN, but the other man, who struck the blow. The deceased fell against the kerbstone, after which both men went into MC KENNA’S house. The deceased was removed in a state of insensibility to his own house, where he remained for several days, and was subsequently taken to the infirmary. He died on Friday last from the injuries he sustained. Shortly after the occurrence the police searched the beerhouse, but were unable to find the man who had struck the deceased. It did not appear that the deceased had anything to do with the quarrel between the two men, but merely tried to get MILES away. The evidence of Mr HARRISON, house surgeon at the infirmary, was, to the effect that the deceased’s death had resulted from fracture of the skull, the result of external violence. There was a wound under the right eye and another at the back of the head on the other side, and the commencement of the fracture corresponded with the wound at the back of the head. On behalf of Owen CURRAN and other parties, Mr COBB solicitor attended and cross examined several of the witnesses. The inquiry was adjourned until today

Copyright 2002 / To date