Liverpool Mercury, Feb 11th 1851

On Thursday Patrick FLYNN was going on board the steamer GENEVA, lying in the Trafalgar Dock, when he fell over board and was drowned.

The body of Anne SHEANE, a widow of Brook Square, Tarleton St, Great Homer St, was found in a pit in Hopwood St on Thursday last. The deceased threatened to commit suicide three times previously.


Liverpool Mercury, Feb 25th, 1851

Mr Robert FORSYTH, a Liverpool commercial traveller, committed suicide, in a brothel in Cork on Friday night by poison

On Thursday last Michael HUNT, Dryden St, was run over by an omnibus near the customs house, he was taken to the Southern Hospital were he died on Sunday morning.

On 5th Jan last, Sarah Anne TAYLOR a child residing in Northumberland St, was severely burned by her clothes accidentally taking fire, she died yesterday morning.

About three weeks ago a labourer William BAKER, whilst employed at the stone delf in Tranmere, accidentally met with severe bodily injuries. On Friday last he was conveyed to the Infirmary Grange Lane, Birkenhead, where he died on Saturday night.

An inquest was held on Monday at the Imperial Hotel, by D. F. MAHONEY Esq, coroner on the body of Robert FORSYTH, who terminated his existence under the following melancholy circumstances :- It appeared from the evidence of Mr BRISCOE, of Dublin that the deceased was a commercial traveller to the firm of BLAKE and MAXWELL soap manufacturers, Liverpool, and that he arrived in Cork from Limerick on last Wednesday week. On his reaching Cork, previous to which he was leading a rather wild life, he put up in the Imperial Hotel and shortly afterwards proceeded to a brothel in North St, out of which he was subsequently brought by Mr BRISCOE and some other friends, on hearing of his whereabouts. He, however returned to the same house a day or two afterwards, where he spent his time drinking till Friday evening, when he terminated his existence by drinking a drachm of oil of bitter almonds, a most violent poison. Dr BULL and COTTER were immediately called by the inmates of the house, and applied , but in vain, all the remedies which their skill and experience suggested, but he died about an hour afterwards. The deceased was not an habitual drunkard but was in the habit of becoming very despondent and remorseful after leading for any time a dissipated life, and, a few days previous to the melancholy occurrence he had promised Mr BRISCOE, who seemed to take a sincere interest in his welfare, and did all in his power to induce him to lead a more regular life, to abstain in the future from strong drink, and limit himself to a few glasses of wine at dinner. He had not, unfortunately the moral fortitude to persevere in his resolution, and most probably perpetrated the melancholy act which put a period to his existence, while labouring under remorse and the excitement consequence on his excess. The jury returned a verdict in accordance with the facts of the case. - Cork Examiner.

An Old Police Officer

Last week an aged police officer named Titus LEICESTER, was interred at the Necropolis, Low Hill. The deceased was a Captain of the old watch which he joined in 1813. In 1833 he was seized with cholera and heard two medical men pronounce that he was dead. He subsequently recovered. On Saturday week, when he was conveyed home dead, his wife, bearing in mind his former restoration, called in a surgeon to make an investigation, before she would be satisfied of his decease.


Liverpool Mercury, May 20th 1851

Fatal accident at the Birkenhead Dock Works

On Saturday afternoon last a fatal accident occurred to a young man named George SMITH, at Mr MEAKINS [the contractor] works, near the dock cottages, whilst engaged in the wagons which convey materials from place to place. The accident was caused by having a strange horse employed, in endeavouring to disconnect the animal from the wagon, on the descent the wheels of the wagon passed over the poor man causing almost instantaneous death, he was seen by Mr VALE surgeon and conveyed to hospital. But survived only a few minutes.

Yesterday at about 11am a private of the 28th regiment of foot was found hanging from a bedpost at Downies Eating House, Porter St, he was immediately cut down and Mr STEWART, Surgeon of Great Howard St was quickly in attendance, but, found life extinct, the body was removed to the dead house to await and inquest.




22nd May 1851

At Dalton on friday 7th instant the son of Thomas SPEAKMAN age 3 died an horrific death from hydrophobia. On the 19th of Dec 1850 he was playing on the farm when his mother found him savaged by a bull terrier his face and head mangled. He was treated by Mr MORRIS Surgeon of Upholland and seemed to improve. The little sufferer gradually sunk and died with all the symptoms of hydrophobia

March Fanny Mc CORMICK a lunatic at Rainhill Pauper Asylum destroyed herself by thrusting one of the bones from her stays down her throat.


Liverpool Mercury, Sept 16th, 1851

On Saturday morning a boy aged 5, John SINGLETON who resided with his parents in Mann St was run over be a timber-carriage in Grafton St and killed on the spot. It is said the deceased and his brother were riding on the timber, when the deceased fell off and one of the wheels ran over his head.


Liverpool Mercury, Dec 2nd 1851


On Saturday last, Bernard EGAN a dock labourer was discharging cotton over a stage from the American ship CLARA WHEELER, then lying in the Sandon graving dock. The bale had been hoisted up, and, as the ship was much higher than the quay, the stage was a steep incline, the bale suddenly canted, and knocked the deceased over the stage into the dock, and killed him on the spot. He fell from a height of 35ft. - accidental death

On Saturday last at midnight, Jose De YHARGARAY, Captain of the Spanish bark FELIPA, was going towards his ship, then lying on the east side of the Georges dock, when his foot caught one of the hawsers to which the ship was moved, and he fell head foremost into the dock, striking his head against the ship. He was taken to Kitty's the receiving house, and a surgeon was sent for, but he was dead - accidental death

On Saturday last Robert HILL a soldier belonging to the 7th Hussars was drowned under the following circumstances - The deceased with another companion had been on furlough and were about to return to Dublin in the TRAFALGAR steamer, and went to the Clarence dock to go on board. They were both drunk. There was a very dense fog at the time. There was some music playing on board, and as soon as the deceased heard the sound of the fiddle, commenced dancing on the quay alongside, and, although being cautioned, he fell in the dock - accidentally drowned

An inquest was held yesterday on the bodies of Henry BINNS, aged 11, son of a widow residing 15 Gray St, Windsor and James Victor Frederick BROWN , aged 12, son of the Rev J. BROWN, minister of the established church, residing in Falkner Terrace, Upper Parliament St. The deceased boys and another son of Mr BROWN, had gone, on Saturday last, to the figure of eight pit, which is in a field near Parliament St, and began sliding on the ice, which gave way, and the two deceased lads were immersed and drowned before they could be got out - verdict accidentally drowned. This pit has been reported by the police and every exertion made during the last ten years to get it railed round or filled in. Numerous deaths have occurred in the winter from sliding and skating, and in the summer from peoples bathing. The land is the property of the Earl of Sefton and this pit has been for many years a most abominable nuisance. We understand more than 30 inquests have been held upon persons drowned in the pit.

Copyright 2002 / To date