Deaths and Inquests

Liverpool Journal

Jan 6th 1849

Yesterday week William WRIGHT who had been apprehended in Manchester the day before, on a charge of stealing some horse clothing from M. P. JOINSON, New Brighton, committed suicide by hanging himself in Liscard Lockup.

On Thursday a woman named WHITBY of, Druro St, died, the husband had an abscess in the side 10 days ago, while she was dressing it she cut her thumb. The matter from the abscess got into her thumb producing inflammation, which increased proving fatal.

On Thursday morning a private in the 46th Regiment named David TRAIL, committed suicide by shooting himself with his musket. His body was found at the rear of the Officers quarters in Everton, located at the house of the late Mr SHAND, who had been a servant to the surgeon of the regiment, the deceased had been laid up in the surgeons quarters after being drunk for two days.

George EVANS a Pilot of No 2 Pilot boat was drowned near the bell buoy. He had been out with a vessel and was getting from the ship to the steam-tug which was to bring him to Liverpool, when his foot slipped. The deceased was got out in a short time but was quite dead – accidental death.

On the morning of yesterday week, James TAYLOR aged 38, in the employment of John TAYLOR, Pembroke St, was assisting a man with a lorry in his masters yard, when the lorry hit a wall and a quantity of bricks fell on his foot, crushing it severely, mortification took place and he died yesterday – accidental death

An inquest was held yesterday on James FLANAGAN, labourer, aged 40, 3 Snowden St, He retired in usual health, but yesterday morning was found dead in bed by Thomas COLEMAN, another labourer who slept with him, George WOODS performed a post mortem and found death was due to disease of the heart.

January 13th, 1849

A painful occurrence happened last week at Dane Mill, Congelton, belonging to Messers PEARSON and Son. The watchman, John BIDDULPH, a respectable man, aged 63, died by drowning. On going off his beat, he attempted to clear the paddles of ice, he slipped and fell into the mill-race. He was later found dead, his lamp was still burning on the bank, and his dog was sat watching it.

The identity of a woman who attempted to commit suicide by jumping in the water by Georges pier, picked up later but died in the Northern Hospital, may be identified by her possessions found in her pocket. She was of middle stature and about 40 yrs old, a letter and petition were found in her pocket. The letter was directed to, Mrs H. BARBET, care of Mrs BLAND, 2 Crow St, Toxteth Park, dated Bahia, May 17th, 1848, signed, Lewis BARBET. The petition accuses her husband of not giving her support and bidding her to go and drown herself.

January 20th, 1849

On Saturday an inquest was held by the borough coroner on Robert OWENS who died the previous day with injuries received in a fight with a young man Heatley CAMPBELL who is in custody on a jury verdict of manslaughter.

Inquest held in London on the death of J. SHERRY age 26 under sentence for 10yrs who died during removal from Liverpool to Millbank. He was transported by railway in an open topped van, verdict acute bronchitis accelerated by extreme cold. The jury recommended a tarpaulin be used in future in severe weather. [NB Its January]

On Saturday last an inquest was held on the body of, Michael WATERS, aged 40yrs. On Wednesday week he came to this port from the County of Monaghan intending to emigrate to America. On the same evening he was robbed by two females at a house in Albion St of every penny he possessed, this played on his mind. He came to his lodgings on Thursday very ill and a surgeon was called. It was found he had taken poison, a corrosive sublimate. He was taken to the Northern Infirmary but did not survive.

On Wednesday when the screw steamer, OSMANLI, Capt MARA, had been hauled into the river, a rope caught the Commanders foot and he fell overboard. It was dark, every effort was made to find him, but he was drowned

27th January 1849

Sir Thomas ARBUTHNOT. K.C.B, we regret to learn that this gallant general who is in command of the Northern and Midland districts, expired at his seat near Manchester, about 1pm on Thursday. He had for some time previous been ill.

At 10 am on Thursday morning week, whilst a grave digger, John SCHOLEFIELD of 23 Bond St, Chorlton-cum-Medlock, was employed in digging a grave at St Anne’s Ch, he was seized with violent pains in the abdomen, stepped out of the, “prison house,” he was excavating, and within moments expired at its margin.

On Wednesday evening Mr Henry WHITTAKER, of the Fox Inn, Hale St was killed on returning home from the Stourton steeple chase. An alarm was given that a horse had ran away and was coming towards him and other people in his company. They got to the roadside, but the infuriated animal ran towards them and knocked the deceased down, his injuries such that he died 15 mins later. The melancholy occurrence took place at Tranmere, near Mr FURNILOUGH’S Hotel.

On Saturday last a collier William CHADWICK, aged 82, was knocked down and killed by the tender of an engine on the St Helens and Runcorn gap railway.

On Sunday last Ann ABEL, a woman residing in a court in Clement St, was delivered of a male child, stillborn. A short time later she was found dead on the stairs. The cause of death was congestion of the heart and large vessels, produced, as was supposed, from getting out of bed too soon after delivery. Verdict, in accordance with the evidence on both mother and child.

At noon on Wednesday a dreadful explosion took place at, Darley main Colliery, 2 miles south of Barnsley. The loss of life is dreadful, There were employed, 44 getters of coal including their hurriers, horse drivers and trappers, in all 70-80 people. At 5-30 pm 21 had been got out, 16 alive, but badly burned, of those 5 dead 4 were married, some with large families. Every means are being tried to extricate the others, who, are believed to be victims.

February 3rd 1849

Two inquests were held by Henry CHURTON Esq Coroner, at Birkenhead. The first on the body of Alexander GLASS, aged 50, who died on Tuesday morning last, he had suffered asthma for 14yrs, on Monday he was found in the yard insensible, Dr CRAIG was called, but he died on Tuesday morning. It was found the lungs were not in a diseased state, but there was an abscess in the anterior part of the right hemisphere. He died from extravasation of blood to the brain.

The second inquest was on the body of James WALWORK, a miner, he had arrived at Birkenhead on Tuesday and got into a state of intoxication. He was taken into the bridewell for safety and released at 11am the next morning, but complained of pains in his arm. Soon after he visited the tap of the Mosley Arms, where he fell drunk on the floor. He was taken to the dispensary, but died minutes later. Mr MC DOUGALL made a post mortem and found he had died from a ruptured blood vessel in the vena forte, which is thought was produced by the fall.

On Sunday night last, Elizabeth STEPHENSON, a middle aged woman of Wilton St, fell down stairs on retiring to bed, she received an injury to the head, which terminated fatally on Monday morning.

On Saturday morning last at 6 am, James BROGDEN. P.C, 559, was found dead at the foot of cellar steps in Arley St, Vauxhall Rd, this was on his beat. His neck was broken. The deceased was an excellent officer and resided in Crosshall St. He leaves a wife and two children – verdict of post mortem apoplexy.



On tues last Mr Andrew KINLOCH, aged 89 died at the house of his son in Preston. In 1793 he set up the first power loom in Glasgow, with which the propelling power was his own hand, he managed after an outlay of 100 guineas to produce 90 yards of cloth. This sum, we may explain was jointly subscribed for the experiment by four members of Glasgow Chamber of Commerce. Shortly afterwards Andrew got the loom conveyed to Milton Print-field at Dumbuck where 40 looms on the same principle were erected under his special direction.. These machines can still be seen at POLLOCKSHAWS and PAISLEY. He left for England in 1800 setting up similar looms in different towns in Lancashire, the first at Stalybridge nr Manchester. Fifteen of these in a short time where moved to Westhoughton were they remained till 1812 when the hand loom weavers jealous of their interests being affected burned the factory to the ground along with 170 looms.

Liverpool Journal 3rd Feb 1849

A tragic death from starvation at Birkenhead

On Sunday afternoon in consequence of information received Insp MC NEILL proceeded to an empty house in Oak St, where he found a woman about 40yrs of age lying dead and at her feet an infant also dead aged about 9mths. Four children aged from 4-10yrs were huddled around the fireplace. The house contained no furniture, nor a morsel of food. It appears the deceased female was Ellen KANE, she had come with her children from Ireland a few days ago, forcing the door to the house and taking possession.

She must have sought sustenance through begging for she had not applied for relief, probably from fear of removal, the existence of the family was unknown to the proper authorities.

On Tuesday and Thursday last, a jury were engaged into an inquiry of the case. The family came from Drogheda, three weeks ago, with 5 children the eldest 12yrs the youngest, 9mths. On landing the mother had only one shilling, she spent six pence on bread, the other on meal.

On arriving at Birkenhead she went to the house of a relative in Oak St, were she remained from the Wednesday till the Sunday morning, when she went with her children to the empty house in the same street. Here the deceased lived from Sunday to the following Saturday night, having nothing in the house to eat except half a stone of Indian meal someone had given to her on the Sunday.

The eldest girl stated her mother had a bowel complaint and had not eaten during the week. She also informed that the infant was not allowed to have the breast for the first three days. Next day the bodies were found on the floor, on some old sacks, with an old cloak over them.

The woman at whose house the family first stayed a relative named FAHEY said she had not gone to visit the deceased after she had left her house, for fear she had the fever, but on Wednesday applied for medical assistance at the parish house, a note was given to her by the assisting relieving officer, Peter EDWARDS, which she took to the house of Dr VAUGHAN

The doctor had not received the order and his assistant denied knowledge of it. Peter EDWARDS also denied any knowledge of FAHEY applying for medical assistance

The post mortem showed the deaths were due to lack of the necessaries of life, no blame was applied to the relieving officer Mr HARWOOD, Mr MC NERNEY the assistant, Dr VAUGHAN. M.D and Ann ELLIS his servant nor Rev Mr BROWN the Catholic Priest.

Liverpool Journal

Deaths and Inquests

Feb 10th

On Thursday last Peter MORROW, aged between 50-60, a house agent respectably connected but having some unhappy differences with his wife and had separated from her, latterly living at the London Tavern, Harrington St committed suicide by taking a large dose of laudanum, gentleman called with a note when proprietor Mr CREMEN delivered it to his room he found deceased insensible, he was removed to the Northern Hospital and died the same night.

On Thursday afternoon a man named BYROM committed suicide, he precipitated himself from the Pottery Slip at the south end of the town. He had heard his wife had £50 and was leaving him and emigrating to America.

March 3rd

Yesterday morning Jane ATKINSON 52 Jordan St, died at the Northern Hospital from injuries received by a blow to the head with a poker, inflicted by a man now in custody.

On Thursday morning James Blundell WINTERBOTTOM, aged 65, who kept a small shop in Crosshall St, committed suicide by blowing his brains out with the barrel of a pistol. He had been in an ill state for some time which led persons to think had affected his mind.

On Thursday at Morpeth Buildings Birkenhead, Ellen GRIFFITHS died in consequence of severe burns received upon her hand and arm on February 3rd last. The deceased had been labouring under religious melancholy amounting to insanity. On one occasion she was met in the street in a state of nudity, her object to be regenerated by being baptised in the Birkenhead waters. On 3rd February she thrust her arm into the fire to suffer as her saviour did. On Sunday her arm was amputated and she lingered until Thursday.

March 10th

On Monday morning Patrick HUGHES a youth employed in an office in the town died from injuries received a few days ago when he was struck with the handle of a printing machine suffering a fractured skull.

On Tuesday morning an inquest took place into the death of Hugh WESTON, No 4 Court, Rigby St, a labourer employed by Messers BROWN SHIPLEY and Co. On Saturday at 1am deceased was seen in Whitechapel in the company of two prostitutes and at 5am was found dead on the footwalk in Spitalfields, opposite the brothel kept by Catherine COLLINS. Deceased came to COLLIN’S house at 2am in the company of a girl named HAW, who he had asked for lodgings. When they knocked on the door one of the girls of the house Mary Ann SMITH, struck the deceased and he fell into the street. SMITH searched his pockets and took two half crowns. Deceased had a fractured skull and the jury returned a verdict of manslaughter against SMITH.

Liverpool Journal

Deaths and Inquests

March 17th 1849

An inquest was held yesterday upon the body of Joseph FINNEGAN, Labourer who was carrying bars of iron at the Waterloo dock on Wednesday last, when he was observed by Thomas REID a fellow labourer to fall down suddenly, he was taken to the Northern Hospital where he died within 20 mins, post mortem showed death was due to disease of the heart.

On Saturday evening last the wife of Thomas BARNES, Tatlock St a labourer was silly enough to give her 5yr old son whiskey and water to quench his thirst. On the following morning she put the child in a chair by the fire and went back upstairs to fetch his clothes, the urchin went to the cupboard were the whiskey was kept and emptied it of its contents. The child fell asleep and continued in a state of stupor all day, he was afterwards seized with convulsions and died on Monday.

On Thursday morning a nurse in the service of Messers BARNED Bankers, Lord St, Louisa KENNEDY, died from injuries received three weeks ago when a brick fell on her head as she was passing down Commerce Court. The brick seemed to have blown down and knocked her senseless.

March 24th

Within the last few days the inhabitants of Runcorn have been shocked by a case of hydrophobia. Three weeks ago James SOTHERN a driver on the canal was bitten by a dog as he pulled it out of the canal. He was soon after in a confirmed state of Rabies, the paroxysms so violent that he had to be tied to the bed. He died on Wednesday morning.

Murder at the Britannia Bridge - at the Carnarvon assizes on Wednesday John PRITCHARD was tried and acquitted for the murder of John ROWLANDS on the 29th July last. They were both watchmen on the works.

March 31st

Window cleaning - Eleanor JONES aged 37, fell from an upper room window in Shaw St on the 2nd inst and fractured her leg. She was taken to the infirmary where her limb was amputated , she died on Monday. [Another girl under similar circumstances is now in the infirmary, why do mistresses allow their servant maids to do these hazardous and illegal acts? A few informations by the police would stop it].

The funeral of the late John PRIESTLY Esq took place at Everton Church on Tuesday. The Rev Mr PARRY officiated, the Rev Dr RAFFLES we understand intends to improve the occasion on Sunday morning at the Great George St, Chapel.

A few days ago Edward Allen EWBANK aged 12mths was severely scalded at 17 Gloucester Place and died on Thursday of his injuries.

April 14th

On the 30th last Henry SIMPSON, 2nd engineer of the Leinster Lass steamer plying between this port and Ireland, had his arm severely crushed in the crank of the engine, on arrival here he was conveyed to the Northern Hospital where he died from his injuries.

On Tuesday morning last Margaret CUNNINGHAM, aged 6, 12 Cranmere St, whilst in the act of chalking the mantle piece over the fire, her clothes ignited, she was severely burned, and death occurred 11hrs later.

On Tuesday morning Mary MC KELVEY, aged 60, left Woodside in her usual health but, complained of swelling of her feet, upon arriving at this side of the water she fell down and expired. Disease of the heart was the cause of death.

Liverpool Mercury, June 1st, 1849


On Monday last on Michael CONROY, aged 11, of Edmund St, deceased went over to Tranmere to see the rural sports, while crossing near to some persons playing a game known as “three sticks a penny”, he was struck on the head with one of the sticks and was knocked down, receiving a fractured skull. He was conveyed home to his parents and surgical assistance procured, but, he died the same evening of his injuries, verdict, accidental death.

On Tuesday morning on Samuel Southern EDWARDS, aged 4mths, an illegitimate child who died suddenly at his mother’s house in Crosshall St, verdict, “died by the visitation of God”

Liverpool Mercury June 22nd 1849


An inquest was held on the body of Eliza JACKSON, of Sawney Pope St, who was found dead in her lodgings. Mr WOODS, surgeon who made a post mortem examination on the body, stated he found it in a decomposed state. The countenance presented appearances of great anguish. On opening the abdomen he found the stomach empty, the mucus lining of the stomach was injected. The intestines were loaded with a fluid resembling rice dissolved in water. There were patches of livid redness in various parts of the intestines, the bladder was empty, the liver congested and the gall-bladder contained a considerable quantity of bile. The lungs were much congested, the right cavities of the heart loaded with thick black blood. In the room where deceased was found were two chamber utensils, one contained a large quantity of bilious feculent matter, the other contained a greyish matter, similar to that discovered in the intestines. From these general appearances he was of the opinion that the deceased had died from Asiatic cholera. Verdict in accordance with the evidence.

On Wednesday an inquest was held on the body of a child aged 7, named Mark HOUSELEY, the son of a poor woman residing in Myers St. Last Tuesday week he was playing, along with some boys, in a float on some vacant ground, when he fell out and one of the wheels passed over his foot, bruising one of his toes severely. On Monday morning lock-jaw set in, and on the following morning he died. Verdict accordingly.

Yesterday an inquest was held on the body of John WOOD, aged 47, who kept a public house on the corner of Sun St and Crown St. A little after 8pm on Wednesday he was missed and on going to his bedroom it was found locked. On breaking open the door he was found suspended by a silk scarf tied to the bed-post. He had been for some time in an unsound state of mind caused by hard drinking. About 10mths ago he attempted to destroy himself. Verdict accordingly.

An inquest was held on the body of James CAWELL, a labourer in the employ of the Corporation. Deceased was employed on board a flat, lying off the Waterloo Pier, where they were filling up the gut leading into the Victoria Dock. About noon on Wednesday he accidentally fell overboard into the river. A ladder was thrown to him but he was unable to catch it and sank instantly. A search was made with grappling irons and he was found about 25 yds from the place where he went down, there was a strong ebb tide at the time. Verdict accordingly.

An inquest was held on the body of Mary SILKSTONE, who died suddenly in Compton House. An assistant in the employ of Messers Jeffrey and Morrish stated that on Wednesday night about 8 deceased came into his employer's shop for the purpose of changing some article previously purchased there. She had not been in the shop more than 3 or 4 mins when she fell down on the floor. A surgeon was immediately sent for but she died within a quarter of an hour. The surgeon was off the opinion that the deceased had died from apoplexy. Verdict accordingly.

An inquest was held on the body of a child, William Henry WEALES. A sister of the deceased stated that on Tuesday whilst her mother was absent, her brother caught hold of the handle of a saucepan which was on the jockey bar, containing coffee, when it upset, and the coffee went over his face and right side scalding him severely. He lingered until Wednesday evening when death put an end to his sufferings. Verdict accidental death.

Liverpool Mercury July 20th 1849


On Wednesday morning Mary PARRY, of Bedford St, put an end to her existence by cutting her throat with a razor. On the previous night she went to bed as usual with her husband and in the morning got up and went downstairs. A short time afterwards she was found lying ion the kitchen floor quite dead with a large wound in the throat. A razor was lying on her breast. The deceased had been low and despondent for some time and was of a very religious turn of mind. Verdict, " Destroyed herself while under the influence of temporary insanity."

On Wednesday last Michael SULLIVAN died of Cholera at the Infirmary, under the following circumstances :-

The deceased was on Tuesday morning working on the farm of Mr SCOTSON, Aigburth, when he complained of indisposition and went to lie down in the hay loft. He complained of being sore all over the body and towards evening did not feel any better. He was brought to Liverpool in a shandry and taken to the Infirmary, a note being given to the surgeon for his admission. The person who had him in charge was told that it was not a case for that institution and the deceased was taken to the Workhouse. He was there refused admission, and again taken back to the Infirmary. Some of the surgeons having seen him in the shandry, a note was given and the deceased was sent a second time to the Workhouse. The porter of the Infirmary went to the Workhouse with the man Thomas KELLY who had charge of the deceased. It appeared that the note for admission to the Workhouse was given by Dr BICKERSTETH, and as some of the witnesses stated [the note being lost] was to the effect that the deceased was suffering from cholera, and unless he had immediate assistance, it would be to no avail. However that may be, when the application was made to the governor of the Workhouse, he said, on being told he came from Aigburth, that he could not admit him, and he must be taken to the West Derby Workhouse. Under these circumstances the deceased was taken to the Infirmary a third time, and was admitted, one of the surgeons observing that he must not be allowed to die in the street. The deceased received every attention which the nature of his case required, but he only lived until the following morning. The cause of death was cholera. The time which transpired from the deceased being brought to Liverpool, and ultimately being admitted to the Infirmary was about two and a half hours. The Governor of the Workhouse who was present at the inquest, entered into a long explanation in order to exculpate himself from any blame in the matter, he said, that if he had known the deceased was suffering from cholera, he would instantly have admitted him. The circumstances were not communicated to him. The Coroner suggested that the jury might adjourn the case, and have the evidence of Dr BICKERSTETH, if they thought it necessary. This however, they declined, and after some consultation, they returned a verdict that the deceased died from cholera, the result of natural causes.

Copyright 2002 / To date