Liverpool Mercury, Jan 11th, 1848

On Thursday last Mr T. SHENTON, slater and plasterer fell from the roof of a pile of buildings in Church St, he was making repairs and from the slippery state of the slates missed his footing and fell into the area beneath, He was conveyed to the infirmary, where he died on Saturday morning last. The deceased had both thigh bones broken and four fractured ribs, verdict "Accidental death"

Yesterday a seaman belonging to the sloop Industry, lying off the Tranmere slip named John BOWIE was found dead in the forecastle. On the previous day he had complained to his Captain of the damp state of his berth, and wished a fire in the forecastle. A fire was made and put out at the close of the afternoon, the deceased in the evening retired to his berth and it is supposed suffocated by the smoke still remaining in the forecastle, his body awaits and inquest to be held at the Tranmere Hotel.

On Saturday morning last the body of James HOSE a young man in the employment of Mr EVANS tea-dealer of this town and whose parents reside at Edge Hill, was found dead on a beach opposite Birkenhead Ferry. The deceased, on Christmas Eve had been to a party at a friends house in Tranmere and left between 6 and 7pm with the intention of returning to Liverpool, since then he had not been seen or heard off, verdict, found drowned.


Liverpool Mercury,Jan 14th, 1848

Death of John BURGESS a prisoner in the Borough Gaol

A few weeks ago John BURGESS, a man well known in this town to the police authorities, was tried at the Borough Sessions, along with William MITCHELL, on a charge of being converned in a robbery of bank notes, MITCHELL was found guilty and sentenced to 7yrs transportation, BURGESS was acquitted, but re-committed by the Recorder on another charge. He was taken suddenly ill while in the court, and on his removal to the borough gaol the following day, was placed in the hospital by order of the surgeon, who attended him up to the time of his death. At first he suffered from obstruction of the bowel, but inflammation of the peritoneum subsequently supervened, which was the immediate cause of death. An inquest was held on Monday last before the coroner and a verdict was returned in accordance with the medical testimony.

The deceased came to this town some years ago from the neighbourhood of Prescot, and kept a beer-house in Sawney Pope St, and was the associate of dog fighters and similar characters. He subsequently moved to a public house in Shaw's Brow, where he resided up to the time he was taken into custody. His house was a regular resort for thieves, and others belonging to the fraternity known as the, "swell mob." In cases where any of the parties were brought up for trial, he generally interested himself in their behalf, and collected subscriptions amongst his brethren here and in other places for the purpose of securing legal assistance for their defence. BURGESS had been frequently before the magistrates on various charges, but was never convicted. He was known to be on friendly terms with the notorious ANDERSON, transported a few years ago for receiving stolen notes, and it is said that on several occasions, he transacted professional business with that worthy.

At Birkenhead

Inquest, yesterday on the body of John BOWIE, of the sloop industry, whose death was reported on Tuesday. A post mortem had been made and it is ascertained that the deceased had died of apoplexy the result of natural causes. The unfortunate man had been unwell during the night, and had vomited so much as to strain himself considerably. A verdict in accordance with the evidence was returned.


Watchman drowned

About 8am on Wednesday the body of Thomas BRADLEY, watchman, was found in the river Douglas near to Weir Bridges. He was seen frequently on the previous evening and is said by several to have been in a state of intoxication. The body appeared to have been in the water several hours. The deceased was an old pensioner, and drank at all times, very freely of his favourite beverage, rum. An inquest was held on Wednesday evening, and a verdict of, "Found drowned." was returned.


Liverpool Mercury Feb 22nd, 1848

The following letter was found on the body of James FAIRCLOUGH, carter, a young man of 22, who drowned himself in the Sankey Canal, in consequence of a disappointment in a love affair :- "Drowned through a broken heart ! Drowned through a broken heart ! Drowned through a broken heart ! James FAIRCLOUGH, of Bank Quay, Warrington, formerly of Billinge, has drowned himself through a broken heart. On Sunday morning I started to go to church, on 22nd April. But I was suddenly seized by a complaint which struck me to the heart. I cannot live. Friends mourn for me. I am gone, but you know not the reason why, - James FAIRCLOUGH son of Richard FAIRCLOUGH, Billinge.

Liverpool Mercury, Feb 22nd 1848

On Thursday evening Mr Thomas SPALDING a respectable farmer, living at Laffak Hall, nr St Helens, died instantly while on his way home from Parr. About 2pm whilst walking home from Parr he offered a man a shilling if he could conduct him home as he felt enfeebled. After calling at Robert LEATHER'S beerhouse where the deceased slept for about 2hrs, they started out for Laffak Hall, but while going along Parr Lane, Mr SPALDING fell from his conductors hold and expired on the spot. He was 62yrs of age and was contemplating retirement from his business. At an inquest in Friday, a verdict of, "Died by the visitation of God" was returned.

At Ashton, James DUNN was at work on Thursday in apparent good health, but after retiring to rest he became suddenly unwell, and died almost immediately.

At Runcorn on Saturday, as Robert WILLIAMS a child of two and a half years old, was playing in the street, a cart wheel went over his head, killing him on the spot.

Copyright 2002 / To date