Liverpool Mercury, May 13th, 1892

Brutal stabbing outrages in Liverpool

Two cases of stabbing and assault, very similar in character to those perpetrated by the notorious "High-rip Gang" are now being investigated by the police.

Early on Wednesday morning John SAUNDERS of Adelaide St, Everton, was walking home along Scotland Rd, when several roughs demanded money from him. He told them he had no money, whereupon they knocked him down, kicked him severely, and, it is alleged, one of them stabbed him in the chest. All the men ran away, leaving SAUNDERS lying helpless and bleeding on the ground. Subsequently he was conveyed to the Stanley Hospital, and later removed home, where he now lies under the care of Dr BAXTER in a very weak condition. The second case is that of Richard MERVIN, of Melbourne St, Everton, who was walking up Silvester St at 10pm on Wednesday when he was similarly accosted and on refusing to give money was knocked down kicked, and stabbed in the left side. It is thought both assaults were perpetrated by the same gang, and the police are actively engaged in investigating the matter.


Liverpool Echo

July 4th 1892

Forgery at Bootle

Today before Alderman WEBSTER and Mr W. MATHESON Justices at Bootle Police Court, James DILL, ship's steward was charged with stealing money by means of a trick. Chief Con CUMMINGS, said, the prisoner lodged at a boarding house kept by Mr MC KENZIE and borrowed several small sums of money from the landlady, amounting in all to 14s-6d. As security he gave a bogus bill amounting to 6 payable by Messers GIBSON Ship owners, MC KENZIE presented the bill to Messers GIBSON who informed him the bill was a forgery. Prisoner admitted purchasing the bill from a man for 5s, he was obviously unaware of the seriousness of the offence, as this was his first offence he was fined 40s and costs or 1mths prison.

Missile throwing at trains

Warning to parents

Today before Mr Donald KENNEDY and Col WALKER at the City Police Courts, Herbert CROWTHER, aged 9, George PEARSONS, aged 12, Henry CLARE, aged 11 and John CLARE, aged 9 appeared to summonses for throwing missiles into the Edge Hill cuttings of the London and North Western Railway.

Railway Det GOOD gave evidence that on Wednesday 15th inst while travelling on a train between Edge Hill and Lime St he heard a rumbling noise on top of the carriage, on looking up he saw some boys throwing bricks from Vine St. On reaching Lime St he obtained assistance from another officer and went to Vine St where he saw the defendants on a wall 8ft high over looking the cutting which was 70 to 80ft deep. The engine driver found the engine dented.

Mr J. FENNAH Solicitor for the company said this was a dangerous occurrence and the boys should be punished as a warning to others. The magistrates thought the boys too young to be whipped and imposed fines of 10s each and recommended the parents punish the lads judiciously.


July 5th 1892

Serious assault at the North End

Yesterday the deposition of John WILLIAMS, publican, 140 Great Howard St was taken by Col WALKER, WILLIAMS was thought to be in a dying condition and as James O'KEEFE a ginger beer dealer in the same street was thought to be implicated in causing the injuries to WILLIAMS it was necessary for a magistrate to take the latter's statement under oath.

It appears at 1am on Saturday WILLIAMS entered O'KEEFE'S shop and called for a bottle of ginger beer, as it was after hours O'KEEFE refused to serve him. WILLIAMS went away, but, returned later and it is alleged struck O'KEEFE and kicked him. O'KEEFE hit WILLIAMS with a brush he was using to clean the shop, a serious injury was done by the blow and WILLIAMS was taken to the Northern Hospital, but he afterwards went home. On Saturday O'KEEFE was brought to Dale St Police court and remanded till today. Yesterday hospital surgeons advised that WILLIAM'S deposition be taken and this was done by Mr SAVAGE [Asst Magistrates clerk] and Insp MC CONKIE.

Copyright 2002 / To date