Liverpool Mercury, July 3rd 1886

Liverpool Police Court, July 2nd, before Mr RAFFLES

The alleged embezzlement by a solicitor's clerk

James FITZGERALD, formerly a clerk in the employ of Mr HARRIS, solicitor, Sweeting St, was charged with embezzling several sums of money. Mr MARKS prosecuted. Mr LITTLE, barrister, for the defence, said that, one of the objects of Mr HARRIS in instituting the prosecution was to clear his own character with regard to certain statements made about him by the prisoner, and this had been accomplished by a letter the prisoner had written. With regard to the charge of embezzlement, another clerk who had been discharged from the service of Mr HARRIS had gone to New Zealand, at it was to this clerk that the prisoner stated that he paid the money's. He suggested that under the circumstances the prosecution should be withdrawn. Mr HARRIS said he would accept the apology which the prisoner had offered in his letter, and the prisoner was discharged.


Liverpool Mercury, Sept 18th 1886

Liverpool Police Court, Sept 17th, before Mr RAFFLES

Wounding by a lad

James SMITH, a lad, was charged with wounding a labourer, Philip CLARKE, of 30 Gerard St. On the evening of the 8th inst, the prisoner came behind CLARKE and stabbed him on the head, causing a severe scalp wound, which was dressed by Dr CREGAN of the East Dispensary. The prisoner's motive was that the prosecutor gave evidence against a friend of his charged with bigamy. Committed to the sessions for trial.

Birkenhead Police Court, Sept 17th, before Mr PRESTON

Refusing to pay a cab fare

Mrs RICHARDSON, 38 Seymour St, Higher Tranmere, was summoned for refusing to pay a cab fare on demand for 3s, and also for assaulting John MOTLEY, cab proprietor and driver. Mr MOORE, appeared for defence. The complainant stated that at 12mins past 12 0' clock on Wednesday night the defendant engaged his cab to drive her to her house in Seymour St. As it was after midnight he told her the fare would be 3s, when they reached Seymour St, she said it was not 12 o' clock and refused to pay, he pulled out his watch and showed her that it was 12.30. He afterwards accused her of having committed a nuisance in the cab whereupon she became indignant and struck him a blow on the side of the head and the nose with her fist. As the defendant would not give her fare or her name, complainant got on the box and drove to Mrs TRAYNOR'S in Ivy St, Birkenhead, from where he had driven the defendant. Mrs TRAYNOR would have nothing to do with the matter and would not give Mrs RICHARDSON'S name, he afterwards went to the police office and got it in the directory. In cross-examination, the complainant admitted that on Thursday the defendant called at his house and paid his wife 3s-6d. Mr MOORE, said the defendant was the wife of a highly respectable man who worked on the railway. On the night in question she had, had, supper at Mrs TRAYNOR'S house and was not aware that after midnight the complainant was entitled to charge a fare and a half. When the complainant had charged her with being a nuisance she became indignant, as any lady would do so and struck him on the face.. As the fare had been paid the magistrate said, she only had to pay costs, as for the assault she had no right to strike the complainant, therefore for the assault she must also pay costs.

Cruelty to a mare

Samuel JONES, cab proprietor, Mersey Rd, Rock Ferry, and Andrew JEFFERS, driver, were summoned, the latter for working a mare in an unfit state, the former for causing it to be worked. Inspector NICHOLLS of the Birkenhead branch of the R.S.P.C.A, stated on the 7th inst at Rock Ferry, Railway station, he saw a grey mare attached to a cab, in charge of JEFFERS, the animal was standing on three legs, and on examining the affected leg he found a deposit had formed on the hock and it was very inflamed. The mare appeared to be suffering great pain. On speaking to JEFFERS he said he had been driving the animal for a few days. He also said, whatever witness might do to his governor Mr JONES, he hoped he would do nothing to him. Witness called Mr JONES, who stated he knew the mare had been lame for a long time and had only bought it to get through the summer, he was in the habit of rubbing the hock with lotion, he admitted the mare had a spavin, but denied emphatically that the animal was lame. Mr William SIMMS, of the Royal Castle Hotel, Tranmere, stated he sold the mare to JONES, 3 or 4 mths ago, he had, had the animal for 2yrs, and no doubt it had a spavin, but when the mare was going it had no pain. Mr SIMMS added that all spavined horses were lame on starting. The Magistrate thought that any mare that stood on three legs must be in pain, JONES, fined 10s and costs, JEFFERS to pay costs


Liverpool Mercury, Sept 25th 1886

Liverpool Police Court, Sept 24th, before Mr RAFFLES

Committed to sessions

A young man named Percy JOHNSON, was charged with stealing 2s from the till of the public house, 10 Mercer Court, Redcoss St, kept by Mary PRICE. The prosecutrix found the prisoner yesterday afternoon taking 2s from the drawer. She called a policeman and gave JOHNSON into custody. The prisoner said he was drunk at the time and knew nothing about the matter. Committed to sessions to take his trial.

A rough looking man, Richard RAMSDEN, alias ACROYD, who was sentenced in August 1881 to 5yrs imprisonment for child-stripping, was now charged with having stolen on the 10th ultimo, a parcel containing an overcoat, a suit and other articles valued at 9, belonging to John BLACKBURN a grocer, carrying on business at 67 Paddington. The parcel contained the clothing, which constituted Mr BLACKBURN'S wedding suit [he was to be married the following day], was given to the boy to be taken to 38 Heyworth St. In Mount Vernon St the boy encountered the prisoner, who strongly pressed him to take a letter to the "Liver" for him. The prisoner took the parcel from the boy, who consented to go to the office of the Friendly Society and make some inquiries. When the boy returned RAMSDEN had disappeared. RAMSDEN was further charged with stealing a parcel containing wool for knitting, valued at 33s, belonging to John WHITTAKER, a draper, carrying on business at 151 Derby Rd, resorting to the same means of obtaining possession the parcel, which a boy had been directed to take to 299 Scotland Rd. Another charge was similarly disposed of in which RAMSDEN was alleged to have stolen a quantity of material for ladies underclothing, valued at 9s, belonging to Messers TOLL and TURNER, drapers 313 to 317 Scotland Rd. Detective Arthur MADDOX, stated he arrested the prisoner at 9 house, 11 court, Dryden St, and that he had admitted he had stolen some of the goods, and disposed of them.

Birkenhead Police Court, Sept 24th, before Mr PRESTON

Wife beating

Michael M'NALLY, of Back St, Anne St, was charged with assaulting his wife Mary Ann M'NALLY. On the previous Monday the prosecutrix was in the kitchen of her house, when the prisoner attacked her, knocked her down and kicked her several times. He also threw a stool at her but it missed her and hit one of the children. The prisoner, who pleaded that his wife was stupidly drunk when he got home, was committed to jail for 3mths with hard labour Assault on a woman

John BURKE of 104 Livingstone St, was charged with assaulting Catherine HAYES, a resident of the same thoroughfare. The prosecutrix said, on Monday the prisoner called at her house, entered her room, caught hold of her by the hair of the head and beat her in the face with his fist. She made her escape from the house, but he followed her, and again beat her severely. Superintendent CLARKE stated that both were drunk at the time. Accused sent to jail for 2mths with hard labour.


Liverpool Mercury, Nov 5th 1886

Liverpool Police Court, Nov 4th, before Mr RAFFLES

Charge of theft against an agent of the Official Receiver

John IRVING and Emily WELSH, were charged with having stolen a quantity of wearing apparel, valued at £10. The evidence showed that a little while ago IRVING was placed in the possession of the premises 27 Pembroke Place, on behalf of the official receiver, the tenant Lazarus GROJEVSKY, a draper, having failed in the business and disappeared. It was subsequently discovered that a quantity of pinafores and other articles had been taken away, and the woman WELSH, of 4 Anson Terrace, at the rear of the shop was seen carrying some of the goods into her house. The prisoners were remanded for 7days, for further inquiries to be made.

Alleged theft of two diamond rings

Two young men of respectable appearance, John PHILLIPS and William BENNETT, were charged on remand, the latter for stealing two diamond rings and the former for receiving the rings knowing them to have been stolen. The rings were the property of Mr W. D. MACK, shipowner, who recently removed from Shaw St to Abercromby Square. BENNETT was engaged in the house re-polishing the furniture, and he had access to all parts of the house. The rings were abstracted from a jewel case in Mrs MACK'S dressing room, but had not been missed when the police acquainted Mr MACK of the theft. PHILLIPS tried to pawn the rings in various shops in the city. Suspicion was aroused that he had not obtained them in a legitimate manner, and both men were accordingly arrested. They are now committed to the sessions for trial

The strange shooting case at Toxteth

The young man Henry Lionel STRINGER was charged on remand with having attempted to murder William KING, his stepfather, by shooting him with a revolver. It was stated that the prisoner had been subjected to incessant ill-treatment from KING, and was eventually driven to commit the desperate act upon which he was charged. Dr DIXON, of the Royal Southern Hospital said that the injured man was hardly yet out of danger. Prisoner committed to the assizes for trial.

Bootle Police Court

Nov 4th, before J. NEWALL and R. J. GLASGOW

Assaulting the police

David M'NAB, a cornerman of 16 Ford St, was put forward on a charge of being drunk and disorderly and also for assaulting PC'S, PEMBERTON and WOODS whilst in the execution of their duty. On Wednesday night the prisoner was drunk in Derby Rd, Bootle, and was requested to go home by the two constables. He refused and became so violent that he had to be taken into custody. He struggled violently and called for help, a large crowd collected, who threw stones at the officers, it was not until a number of constables came to assist that they were able to get the prisoner to the police station. The prisoner had been convicted 12 times previously, he was fined 5s and costs for being drunk and disorderly and 20s and cost for assault or 5 weeks imprisonment, with hard labour in default.

Birkenhead Police Court, Nov 4th, before Mr PRESTON

Theft from a public house

A labourer named Bevis ROBERTS, of Beckwith St, was charged with stealing 4d from a till in the Westminster Hotel, Price St, kept by Abraham KIDD. On Wednesday week the prisoner called at the Hotel, where he was served with a glass of beer. Whilst in the inner bar the prosecutor heard a noise, and looking through a window saw the prisoner leaning over the counter, with his hand in the till. Finding that he was detected the prisoner dropped 4d on the counter and decamped from the public house. Committed to jail for 6wks with hard labour.

Birkenhead County Magistrates Court, Nov 4th, before Messers T. R. LEE, C. J. BUSHELL and E. H. HARRISON

Proceedings against a member of the Wirral Yeomanry

Arthur BURTON of Barnston, was summoned under act Geo 1V, for not giving up his kit as a member of the Wirral troop of yeomanry cavalry, Charles ROBERTS appeared for the prosecution and stated that the defendant [not in attendance] had rendered himself liable to a penalty of £10 and double the value of the things he kept in his possession. The troop to which the defendant lately belonged was under the command of Captain SHAW, and at the annual training this year the Duke of Westminster issued an order that any member of the troop who did not put in an appearance must send in his regimental forthwith. The defendant failed to appear at training, and did not send in his regimentals according to the order. On the previous Thursday the defendant was summoned and his excuse was that he thought the prosecution ought to fetch the things from him. He promised to send the things as required. Thomas YARROW, troop sergeant, stated the defendant had sent in all the things with the exception of 6 articles, valued at 12s. The magistrates ordered the defendant to pay a fine of 1s, besides 12s the value of the articles and £1-13s-3d costs, including £1-1s for the prosecuting solicitor's fee.


Liverpool Mercury, Nov 6th 1886

Liverpool Police Court, Nov 5th, before Mr RAFFLES

The fire in Scotland Rd

Two men Albert GOODWIN and William BICKERTON, were charged with having stolen a doll, a vest and other articles, during the progress of the fire at Messers KING and HEYWOOD'S establishment in Scotland Rd. Frederick TRESIS of the Salvage Corps, stated that he had been in charge of the premises after the fire, the prisoners were in the service of the Liverpool Gas Company and on Tuesday were directed to remove the gas meters. Witness found them in a part of the premises they had no right to be in, and saw that they were rather bulky about the pockets, and the articles were found in their possession. On being charged the prisoners said they had found the articles among the rubbish in the cellar. They were each fined 20s and costs.

A singular case

A man of respectable appearance, John Bertram CHIPCASE, aged 34, a distraint officer, was charged with breaking an entering the house 59 Faulkner St, Hope St, and stealing two pictures. Mr MARKS, for the prosecution, explained that Mr J. H. T. COTTIER was the tenant of the house, and in July last his family removed to Wales. Mr COTTIER visited the house several times, but on the 26th October, noticed for the first time that a number of articles had been removed, whose value he estimated at about £150. Some hours previously to Mr COTTIER'S visit, the prisoner, accompanied by another man, called at the next house, and after some little talk asked the servant girl to permit them to go through the house that they might gain entrance to Mr COTTIER'S house through the back. Mrs BUCKLEY the tenant of the house was out, and on this ground the girl refused their wishes. They went away, and she shortly afterwards noticed them climbing over the wall. About an hour afterwards she heard a crash of glass, and looking round saw the men carrying out two framed pictures, the glass of one which was broken. It transpired that Mr COTTIER had a wringing machine received from a Mr POLLACK, 154 Windsor St on the hire system, but the agent in no way authorised anyone to forcibly enter the premises. On the day of the robbery the prisoner went to Mr POLLACK, who spoke to him of Mr COTTIER not having paid up. The prisoner said that he knew about Mr COTTIER, and would get the money owing. On these representations Mr POLLACK gave him the hire-agreement, which after the robbery was found lying on the floor of one of the rooms in Mr COTTIER'S house. It was strange that when the prisoner and his companion got into the house they did not take the machine, but two pictures, to which they had no right whatsoever. It was clear that it was their object to steal something, and not to effect an entrance under any legal authority. Mr H. F. NEALE, for the defence, in reply to his worship, said that it was the prisoner's contention that he was acting on behalf of Mr POLLACK, Bevington, the servant of Mrs BUCKLEY in n her evidence, stated, that when the prisoner and his companion came to the door she told them that Mr COTTIER'S house had been broken in to. She formed this opinion from seeing the back kitchen open on the previous day. The prisoner was committed for trial. The girl BEVINGTON had been discharged from her situation, for which no reason was given, and Mr MARKS in relation to this, said that Mrs BUCKLEY, had thrown every possible obstacle in his way of obtaining the girl's evidence.

Birkenhead Police Court, Nov 5th, before Mr Preston

Theft of a bookshelf

Levi LAYMAN, about 18yrs, of William St, was charged with stealing a bookshelf belonging to William Henry COUSINS, 215 Chester St. The prosecutor, a furniture dealer, a bookshelf was stolen from the front of his shop about a fortnight ago, suspicion fell upon the prisoner, who had been standing near the shop. Upon being taken into custody the accused admitted having stolen the shelf and given it to another lad who sold it for 5d. Committed to jail for 14 days with hard labour.


Liverpool Mercury, Nov 12th 1886

Liverpool Police Court, Nov 11th, before Mr RAFFLES

An apprentice in trouble

A young man Charles HEATHCOTE, was charged with having stolen a piece of brass worth 1s. The evidence showed the prisoner was an apprentice in the employ of Messers SEDDLEY, brassfounders, 14 Upper William St, at "knocking off" time yesterday the prisoner was arrested as he was leaving the premises, with the sheet of brass in his possession concealed under his clothing. When charged by PC 790, the prisoner replied, "I took it to make something for myself at home". Mr RAFFLES, imposed a fine of 10s and costs for "not accounting". Jail for 7days in default.

Smashing a public house window

A rough looking man, Edward COONEY, was charged with breaking the window of a public house at 45 Athol St, and also assaulting PC'S 442 and 258. The husband of the complainant, Alice FOSTER, keeps the house, and at 9.20pm on Wednesday, while she was in the bar she heard a crash against the window. Mrs FOSTER was on the point of reaching the door when the window completely shattered. She saw the prisoner, who was drunk, drawing his foot away from the broken window. There was damage done to the extent of £3. The police were called, but the prisoner behaved violently and two other constables had to be obtained, to carry him to the bridewell. Jail two mths with hard labour.

Impudent boys

Three boys, William HAGUE, William PEERS and Peter CARAGHER, were charged with having stolen £3-10s from the shop of William STONE, a confectioner, carrying on business at 125 Mill St. A few days ago the shop was in the charge of an assistant Lilian SHARACH, she was in a room at the back at the time and heard a noise, on going into the shop she found the till had gone and informed the police. HAGUE, when arrested said, "I only got 2s" The other two prisoners surrendered. They said, "We got 6d each." Mr RAFFLES remanded the case for 7 days inquiry.

Before Mr Clarke ASPINALL

Attempted suicide

A respectfully connected many, Henry THOMPSON, was charged on remand with having attempted to commit suicide on Tuesday. THOMPSON, resided in Hammond St, Preston and came to Liverpool a few days ago. He took to drink and this so much affected him that he attempted to commit suicide by cutting his throat. Some friends appeared to take care of him and Mr ASPINALL accordingly discharged him.

Before Messers D. HUGHES and H. J. COOKE

Snuff manufacturers heavily fined

Peter BOGGIANO, tobacco and snuff manufacturer of 125 St James St, was summoned at the instance of the Excise authorities "for having in his possession, sodium and ammonium" contrary to law, and for which offence the defendant laid himself open to forfeit £50. Mr COTTON from the Customs conducted the case, Mr NEALE, defended. Evidence for the prosecution having been heard, Mr NEALE, for the defence, stated, that it was pure mistake, and had risen from the excess of natural salts found in the raw material, which contention was borne out by the evidence of Dr Norman TATE who was called. Mr NEALE also stated, this was the first such mistake made by the defendant, who had been in the trade for 5yrs. Fined £5 and costs.

Birkenhead Police Courts, Nov 11th, before Mr PRESON

Assault on a wife

Edward EDWARDS, a labourer, 37 White St, was charged with assaulting his wife Annie EDWARDS, complainant stated that lately her husband had become very drunk and frequently abused her. On Tuesday night they quarrelled and he beat her unmercifully, giving her a back eye. She wished to be separated from him. Prisoner stated, that his wife was disobedient and very unruly, and would "fly" at him without provocation, and would throw anything she could get hold of at him. He was agreeable that his wife should be separated from him. Mr PRESTON, said he believed the prisoner had received great provocation, but, he had no right to beat his wife in such a brutal manner. Jail, 1mth with hard labour.

Theft by a visitor

An elderly woman, Mary Ann WHELLIGAN was charged with stealing 2 yds of canvas cloth, the property of Mrs WILLIAMS, 9 Oliver Place, and a blanket belonging to some person unknown. The prisoner called at the house of Mrs WILLIAMS on the 5th July last to see a woman who was lodging there, and after she had left the cloth was missed from a bedroom, out from which the prisoner had been seen coming. She was only arrested on Wednesday, she said, she had found both articles, the blanket was marked "P.S.N. COY." The prisoner was fined 20s and costs or 14 days imprisonment in default


Liverpool Mercury, Dec 2nd 1886

Liverpool Police Court, Dec 1st, before Mr RAFFLES

Alleged horrible brutality to a wife

A rough looking man, George MORRIS, was charged on warrant with having assaulted his wife on the night of the 27th ult. Clara MORRIS, the wife, who appeared in court with her head enveloped in bandages, said she had resided with her husband at 5 house, 5 court, Pembroke Gardens. Last Saturday night they were out together, coming up London Rd, on their way home they had a "few words" the result being that her husband left her. She went to a neighbours house, but had only just got into the cellar when her husband came rushing in. He struck her with his fists on both sides of her face, and gave her another blow under the right ear, which rendered her senseless. When she "came to" she was on her face on the floor on the hearthrug in front of the fire. She found that her face as well as her fingers were burnt. She went to the Royal Infirmary next morning and is being treated by Dr CURRIE. John William MORRIS, son of the witness, corroborated his mother's evidence, as to the blows received from the prisoner. When she fell to the floor, he said, his father picked her up in his arms and put her head in the firegrate. There was a good fire at the time. He let go of her and she fell to the floor. He picked her up again and put her on the fire. When she was lying on the hearthrug he kicked her. His father then turned upon him and struck him, he ran into the coal vault and saw no more.

Mary Jane LEAKE, said she was present when prisoner came rushing into the kitchen after his wife. After striking her several times he got hold of her and put her on the fire, her face going on the top of the fire. She fell off and he did it a second time, she fell off again, and he kicked her and walked away.

The prisoner said his wife was drinking in the cellar, he only struck her once, and she fell with her head against the fire. Remanded for 7 days.


Master Mariner fined

Captain BLACK, the master of the vessel River Ettrick, lying in the Harrington Dock, was fined 40s and costs for "permitting and suffering" 9lbs of gunpowder to be brought into that dock.

Carelessness with naked lights

Isaac DIXON, master stevedore was summoned at the instance of the Mersey Docks and Harbour Board for suffering two naked lights to be used on board the vessel Achilles, while lying at the west quay Victoria Dock, at a time when cotton was being discharged. Mr BOSCAWEN was for the prosecution. Fined 40s and costs.

Butterine prosecutions

Charles M'LEAN, carrying on business at 44 Pitt St, fined 10s and costs for having sold as tenpenny butter an article which according to the certificate of Dr J. Campbell BROWN, contained upwards of 10% of water and 60% of foreign fats.

George EDWARDS of 150 High Park St, was fined 10s and costs for having sold as tenpenny butter an article which according to the certificate of Dr J. Campbell BROWN, contained upwards of 10% of water and 60% of foreign fats.

James FLETCHER, 120 Upper Stanhope St, fined 10s and costs for having sold as shilling butter an article which according to the certificate of Dr J. Campbell BROWN, contained upwards of 12% of water and 55% of foreign fats.

George John MAGINESS, of 132 Upper Hill St, fined 10s and costs for having sold as a pound of shilling butter an article which according to the certificate of Dr J. Campbell BROWN, contained upwards of 11% of water and 65% of foreign fats.

Richard DAVIES, of 142 Granby St, fined 10s and costs for having sold as a pound of tenpenny butter an article which according to the certificate of Dr J. Campbell BROWN, contained upwards of 10% of water and 50% of foreign fats.

Before Mr B. L. DENAS and Mr T. J. HARRISON


Sarah SCALES and Martha CHESHIRE, two respectable looking women, one of whom is married, were charged on remand with having stolen a quantity of wearing apparel, to the value of 42-6s-7d, from the shop of Messers OWEN, OWEN and Co, London Rd. Detective Constable ROBBINS watched the two women on the 16th November, and saw them come out of the house 188 or 183? Wavertree Rd, and from what he saw in London Rd arrested the accused. On searching the house a number of pawn tickets and a large quantity of goods to the value stated were found and recognised as belonging to Messer OWEN, OWEN. They consisted of fur caps, mantles, dohmans, dress and drapery goods. Both prisoners were found dealing with the stolen property, and SCALES acknowledged the thefts. A considerable quantity of goods were found also to have been taken from the establishment of Messers LEWIS in Ranelagh St, by the prisoners. SCALES stated they were taken during the sale. The prisoner CHESHIRE defended by Mr BERRY pleaded not guilty. Prisoners committed to sessions for trial.

2011 all rights reserved to date