Liverpool Mercury, July 11th 1884

Liverpool Police Court, Thursday July 10th, before Mr RAFFLES

A violent drunken man

George JACKSON, a young man was charged with having committed grievous bodily harm, the prosecutor being Peter PERDOE, a draper of 169 Kensington. It appeared the prisoner when in a drunken condition on the 2nd inst, entered the premises of the prosecutor and it became necessary to eject him. He struck Mr PERDOE several times on the face, and threw him to the ground, injuring his foot, in such a serious manner it prevented him attending to his business. Prisoner also roughly handled PC 353, when being taken to the bridewell. Committed for trial

Cruelty by a father to his children

John H. EDWARDS, violinist was charged on remand at the instance of the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children, with cruelly ill-treating his son, aged 11, on the 29th May. The case having been proved the prisoner was bound over for his good behaviour towards his children for 3mths.

Before Messers T. Stanley ROGERSON and Peter STUART

Ill treating a horse

William ANDERS a carter in the employ of George COLEMAN, teamowner, Lodge Lane, was summoned for cruelly beating a horse. Mr MOTURN, secretary of the R.S.P.C.A, prosecuted. It appeared the defendant who was in charge of two horses attached to a lorry at the goods yard of the London and North Western Railway Station, Great Howard St, beat the shaft horse about the legs and body with his whip, and afterwards took up a piece of wood about 3ft long and 2inch thick, with which he beat the animal about the head. Insp FORSEY of the above society and PC 1086 proved having found the animal bleeding from the mouth and suffering from ill-treatment. The defendant admitted beating the horse, but expressed his regret. A penalty of 20s and costs was imposed.

Bootle Police Court, July 10th, before Messers W. POULSOM and F. BOND

Alleged stabbing at Bootle

Patrick FLYNN of 19 New St, was charged on remand with having wounded Patrick GALLAGHER by stabbing him in the head with a knife. Insp SHAUGHNESSY prosecuted, Mr COX appeared for the prisoner. It was stated the prisoner and GALLAGHER were walking along Stanley Rd on Sunday night last, when they quarrelled about something the prisoner had done, and were going to fight when GALLAGHER noticed that the prisoner who had been cutting tobacco had a knife in his hand. He asked FLYNN to put it away, but he would not, they fought and fell to the ground, and whilst struggling there FLYNN is supposed to have stabbed GALLAGHER in the head. The wound was serious but GALLAGHER is progressing favourably. Prisoner sent to the sessions for trial.

Birkenhead Police Court, July 10th, before Mr PRESTON

A liking for rabbits

A youth, William GLAZEBROOK was charged with stealing 5 rabbits from the premises of Mrs Elizabeth Ann WITT, Willes St, Tranmere. It seems on Tuesday evening the rabbits were missing from the yard of the prosecutrix's house and the same night were found in the house in which the prisoner lives in Brook St. The accused, who pleaded he stole the rabbits because he liked them, was sent to jail for a month with hard labour.

Birkenhead County Magistrates Court, July 10th, before Messers S. LEDWARD, S. STITT, Dr STEVENSON and S. EDDOWES

Permitting drunkenness at Hoylake

Mary Jane TOWSON, of the Ship Inn, Hoylake, was summoned for permitting drunkenness. Mr BLEAKLEY appeared for the defence. Sergeant GARSIDE stated that between 1 and 2pm on the afternoon of the 2nd inst, he was informed that a man named TURNER was drunk and fighting with another man named EVANS at the Grand Stand, Hoylake. He went to the place and told TURNER to go home, afterwards he saw him going into the Ship Inn, and on following him into the house he found that he had been served with a glass of beer which was on the counter before him. The defendant's son admitted to serving TURNER, but had not received payment so took the beer off him. In cross-examination, the officer said that TURNER'S condition might not be noticed when sitting down. For the defence, 3 or 4 witnesses were called to prove that TURNER was not intoxicated, but merely excited through fighting with the man EVANS. Mr LEDWARD observed that with regards to the Ship Inn, it would be recollected that the question of the transfer of the license was before the magistrates a fortnight ago, and certain allegations were made as to the house being loosely conducted. Nothing, however was proved against the house. The license was unendorsed and no charge had ever been substantiated against the proprietor. Under these circumstances the justices were perfectly powerless, but the case was clearly proved, and the magistrates considered it a pity that the tenant of the house would begin so badly as to allow an offence of this sort to be continued. The defendant was fined 20s and costs, and Edward TURNER who was found drunk in the house, was ordered to pay 5s and costs, Mr BLEAKLEY gave notice of appeal on behalf of the defendant TOWNSON.


Liverpool Mercury, Sept 12th 1884

Liverpool Police Court, Sept 11th, before Messers G. BEHREND, H. J. COOK and D. HUGHES

An impudent theft

William H. DAVIES was charged with stealing 4-5s belonging to Joseph ELLIS, auctioneer, 4 Church St. Mr GRUBB prosecuted, and said that on the 4th inst Mr Albert REDFERN, who owed the prosecutor a bill for 4-5s went to Mr ELLIS'S office to settle the account, the prosecutor was not in the office and Mr REDFERN in coming away met the prisoner, who represented he was authorised to act for Mr ELLIS and was paid the money. Prosecutor said that the prisoner had done work occasionally for him, but was not authorised to receive money. Prisoner pleaded guilty and was sent to jail for 3mths with hard labour.

Before Messers G. BEHREND, H. J. COOK

A faction row in Toxteth Park

Patrick BURKE, a respectably dressed young man was charged with assaulting PC 717 in Mill St, the previous day. The prisoner was seen by the constable attempting to kick a bandsman who was in uniform. The constable interfered, when the prisoner turned on him and struck him in the face.

Mr BEHREN, "Have there been many of these rows lately, and are they Orange rows?

Witness, "I could not tell at the time, whether it was Orange party or the other. I understand since that it was the Orange party.

Prisoner was fined 10s and costs

Before Messers John HUGHES and David HUGHES

Quarrelsome young women

Elizabeth WEST and Louisa VERNON, two young women said to belong to the music-hall profession, were summoned on a charge of having on the 2nd inst, assaulted Mary EDWARDS, and damaged a gold necklet and gold locket to the amount of 5. Mr H. NEIL was for the prosecution and Mr QUELCH defended WEST. It was stated whilst WEST was in Camden St the complainant passed up London Rd and called her names. The defendant VERNON just then came out of the Camden Hotel, and entered into the dispute. Blows followed after some angry words had passed, and in the fight bonnets were torn off and trampled on the street. The complainant was badly beaten and her jewellery damaged. The prosecutrix alleged that the assault was entirely unprovoked, and the bench took this view in ordering the defendants to pay 4-15s for damage done to the jewellery, and a fine and costs of 60s.


Richard BREAZEAL, cartowner, 21 Alma St, was summoned for working a lame horse. A penalty of 5s and costs was inflicted

John ARMSTRONG, cabdriver in the employ of Robert RIMMER, cab proprietor Clint Rd, summoned for working a lame horse, was fined 5s and costs.

Patrick DOUGHERTY, carter for Joseph REES, teamowner, New Quay, was fined 2s-6d and costs for overloading a horse.

Samuel FRANKLIN, drover, Tuebrook, for travelling a lame cow was fined 5s and costs.

Mr MOTRUM, prosecuted and the offences were proved by Inspector's SIM and COOKSEY, of the R.S.P.C.A.

Bootle Police Court, Sept 11th, before Messers W. GIBSON and J. SMITH

Brutal assault with a belt

James HANLON, of Eldon St, Bootle, a soldier, who stated he had been all through the South African War, was charged with being drunk and disorderly, and also with violently assaulting a girl, Kate MALONE, by striking her on the head and face with the buckle end of a belt. On Wednesday the prisoner was very drunk in Balliol Rd and was beating an old man. Prosecutrix was passing at the time on the way to her work, and remonstrated with the prisoner for his violent conduct. He then took off his belt, and using the buckle end, struck the girl in the face and then on the forehead, causing a deep wound which bled freely. Prisoner now stated he did it in self defence, as a number of women set on him and would have, "murdered" him had he not used his belt. Prisoner was fined 5s and costs for being drunk and disorderly, and was sent to jail for 4mths with hard labour for the assault.

Birkenhead Police Court, Sept 11th, before Mr PRESTON

Watch stealing from a steamer

John ROWLANDS, was charged with stealing a silver watch and chain, valued at 4, belonging to William TORRENS, mate of the steamship Nestor, lying in the Great Float. It appeared on Monday morning the prosecutor saw the prisoner leaving the cabin on board the vessel with the watch and chain in his hand. The prosecutor followed the prisoner, who wrenched the watch from the chain and threw it into a railway waggon. The accused, who pleaded that he was a shipkeeper, out of work, was committed to jail for 3mths with hard labour.

Charge of wounding.

Elizabeth FERNLEY, a young woman was charged with wounding Elizabeth TEMPEST, her aunt, by striking her on the head with a jug. On Monday evening there was a meeting outside the Queen's Hotel of the friends and supporters of Mr R. GRACEY, the Conservative candidate for Cleveland Ward. The prosecutrix attended the meeting and upon getting home had some angry words with the prisoner about the election. The prisoner afterwards went out for a pint of beer, and on returning to the house threw the liquor over the prosecutrix, and smashed the jug on her head, inflicting a severe wound. The prisoner was committed to jail for two months with hard labour.


Glasgow Herald, Nov 26th 1884

Horrible conduct of a father

At the Liverpool Assizes yesterday a porter, named Augustus BUSCH aged 48, was sentenced to penal servitude for life for having at Liverpool committed a rape upon his daughter Mary Ann BUSCH, a girl aged 19 yrs. The defence of the prisoner was that the girl was of immoral character and a consenting party. It transpired in the course of the case that six years ago, when the girl was only 13 yrs he committed a similar outrage upon her.




Liverpool Mercury April 8th 1885.

Liverpool Police Court, Tuesday, April 7th, before Mr RAFFLES

Two young men Richard DUGGAN and Michael MADDEN were charged with being drunk and disorderly and with wounding two men, Patrick HOWARD and Thomas NOON. It appeared from the evidence that on Sunday evening the prisoner DUGGAN and NOON quarrelled in a public house and on Monday night HOWARD and NOON were in Scotland Rd, where they were met by the two prisoners who brutally struck them on various parts of the body with their belts and sticks. Mr RAFFLES remanded the men for a week in order that the nature of the victims injuries might be attained. It was stated both men where members of the "High Rip Gang"

2011 all rights reserved to date