Liverpool Journal, 7th January 1882


County Magistrates court

Before, G. W. MOSS and A. CASTELLAIN, a respectably dressed girl named Annie ROBERTS was charged on remand for attempting to commit suicide by throwing herself in Sefton Park lake on 24th Dec last.

P.C, PAXEN, stated, the prisoner attempted a similar suicide near Stockport on Dec 1st last.

Father stated, she had been in service for 2yrs and left home the week before Christmas without letting him know where she was.

Mr William JONES, Rate collector, who found the prisoner explained the position she was lying in, which was that her face was above water which was only 6 ins deep. Prisoner said she thought it was deeper and told her father and Mr SWIFT in private the reason for her attempt at suicide, which had reference to some people trying to induce her to emigrate to America.

Father expressed his willingness to take her home and she promised never to make an attempt again, discharged and cautioned.

Southport Police court

Weds am, Harriet Jane BRAY charged with stealing an umbrella the property of Charles KAY from the shop of prosecutor's father in Eastbank St, on Monday night.

Thomas HOLDEN and Henry HOWARTH, charged with assaulting P.C.s MAGUIRE and GENT on Tues am.

BRAY pleaded guilty, sentenced to 2 mths with hard labour

HOLDEN with 9 previous convictions for similar offences, gaol, 1 mth with hard labour

HOWARTH fined 10s and costs in default 14 days hard labour.

Liverpool Police court

George THOMAS charged with stealing a purse containing 1 pound 5 shillings belonging to Joshua COLLINS, a coloured man who was standing in Park Lane having just purchased an orange, when prisoner snatched the purse from his hand and ran away, guilty 3 mths prison.

Sgt Joseph CUDMORE summoned for selling intoxicating liquor without a license in the North Fort on Christmas day.

Mr MARKS prosecuted, defendant belongs to the 8th Regt on foot, present in the fort. Police Insp HOOKS observed a number of people going in and out of the fort, on searching one on his way out he was concealing liquor under his coat. On entering the fort and the Sergeants messroom he found 10 civilians and a number of soldiers handing money over for ale. Fined 10s and costs

Mary Ann DOHENY a young woman of respectable appearance charged on remand for stealing a pair of gold spectacles, a towel and table cover from 46 Upper Pitt St, where she was formerly a servant.

She was charged further with stealing 47 pounds found on her person.

For some months prior to November last she was employed by Mr William WHITTINGHAM at above address, he died on 20th Nov last, his housekeeper of 50 yrs, an old lady, identified the articles stolen as Mr WHITTINGHAMS.

The money was found in prisoners rooms in Bank of England notes.

When asked to account where she got the money she said her father had left it to her and was a Sgt of Police in Ireland. This information was found to be correct.

The other items she found on the floor of the house, again remanded for 7 days for further inquiry

4 boys, Alfred ROBINSON, aged 12, Thomas POWELL, aged 4 [NB Age], Henry BURROUGHS aged 11, and John WRIGHT aged 10, charged with stealing 7 pots of jam, worth 4s-3d from the shop of Anne COLE, Grocer, Whitford Rd, Higher Tranmere on Weds pm.

POWELL and BURROUGHS entered the shop asking the time, finding no one there they took the jam and shared it between them.

Supt CLARKE said POWELL was a very bad boy and the ringleader of the gang. On Thurs he was apprehended in Tranmere for stealing oysters and on account of his tender age, parties would not prosecute.

Mr PRESTON ordered POWELL six stokes of the birch rod [NB age 4yrs].

The other boys he dismissed with a caution.?

A respectable looking woman named Catherine BRODERICK charged with having on 30th Dec last stolen a gold chain and locket valued at 3 pounds the property of Peter DAVIDSON, refreshment-house keeper of 44 Tithebarn St.

Prisoner lodged at the house on 29th and 30th Dec, after she left property found missing.

There was another charge of having stolen 5s from a refreshment-house in Moorfields kept by John HUGHES. She entered the shop and during the absence of Mrs HUGHES the money went missing from the till.

Prisoner admitted guilt, said she had come from Birkenhead, gaol 3 mths for each offence

James YOUNG, platelayer of the Cheshire Lines Committee Railway was sent to prison for I mths hard labour, for early on Sunday morning indecently assaulting Ann NEWBOULD a widow in whose house he lodged in Eleanor St, Walton

At Ormskirk

Edward RIGBY was fined 5s and costs for making cartridges with blasting powder in his house, not being licensed for the same. The bench recommended representation should be made to the colliery proprietors to provide a place where colliers can make these cartridges, further cases would be severely dealt with, with a fine of 100 pounds.

Birkenhead Police courts

A man of respectable appearance was charged with begging, he gave the name of William HARRIS. He had asked for alms of Major BARKER the head constable at Price St, on Tues, stating he was suffering from an internal injury. It was found he had gone to many medical men in the town representing he was ruptured. He had called at Dr CRAIG of Claughton and Dr FORBES of New Ferry who examined him and gave him a certificate to say he was injured.

In some cases he gave the name of CLARKE, others SMITH, Mr PRESTON sent him to gaol for a month.

Frederick GIBBONS was brought up and charged with stabbing a woman named Margaret STEIN, the two cohabited in a court in Back Beckwith St.

Yesterday Insp BENNETT met STEIN in Victoria St, she was covered in blood and complained GIBBONS had beaten her. She had been with him for 9 yrs and supported him.

She had been stabbed in the forehead. Insp BENNETT went to the house entering through the back window and arrested GIBBONS, locking him in the bridewell both GIBBONS and STEIN were drunk at the time. STEIN was taken to the borough Hospital and her wounds treated.

She frequently asked the magistrate to liberate her, "dear Fred" She gave her evidence in an unsatisfactory manner and the case was remanded.

James ATHERTON, Samuel STREET and Henry BOOTH of Ellesmere Port summoned for trespassing on the land in Overpool belonging to Mr R. C. NAYLOR of Hooton Hall.

On 30th ult, a gamekeeper named ROBERTS found the defendants in a plantation with nets, a ferret and a spade. They were beginning to dig for rabbits.

When spoken to STREET said the plantation did not belong to Mr NAYLOR but was in the occupation of Thomas FIELDS who rented 112 acres. A plan showed the plantation 30 yds from the boundary of Mr FIELD'S land.

The defence was the men were on Mr FIELDS land purchased by the late Nathaniel COOK of the Duke of Westminster 10 yrs ago, he re-sold it to Mr WILSON the present owner.

The bench held, a question of title was involved and dismissed the case.

Liverpool Journal, 7th January 1882


At St Helens Police court.

Before Messers W. L. EVANS and John A. PILKINGTON, Robert PLUNKETT charged with being on the premises of Charles GLANCEY, 12 Sandfield Cres on Sunday at midnight for unlawful purposes. He kept hens in the cellar and heard a noise amongst them, on looking out of the window he saw two men standing near the cellar-grate. He shouted "Police!"and the two men ran away, the prisoner came up through the grate. He said he had been knocked into the cellar.

Another charge was preferred against him of being on the premises of Joseph FORD, 37 Water St, for unlawful purpose, at 9 pm the same night. Mrs FORD went to close the front shutters and saw someone in the parlour, before she could get her husband the man jumped out of the window and ran away. FORD ran after him down Liverpool Rd, the man turned into Greenbank.

Prosecutors identified prisoner who was a bad character and had been convicted 19 times for offences some serious, 2mths prison for each offence.

St Helens Tuesday.

John GILOOLEY, middle aged, charged with causing grievous bodily harm to Dennis CONNOR his stepfather, by stabbing him on the 24th ult.

Prosecutor was called and when stepping into the box in an exited state, shouted to the bench, "Gentlemen it was Christmas time, I don't want to swear against him, I will not take the book in my hand" Mr DAVIDSON [Dept magistrates clerk], You'll have too, or go to gaol yourself if you do not. Take the book in your right hand.

Prosecutor, No!, it was Christmas time, I don't want to swear. With reluctance he was at last persuaded to kiss the book.

He stated he was a labourer living at, 17 Copperas St, Eccleston, the prisoner had lived with him for 3 wks up to 24th ult.

Between 11 and 12 midnight Michael GILOOLEY his nephew got off the bed where he was lying and started to cry, prisoner said to him, I'll make you so you won't be crying". Prosecutor said prisoner should not touch the lad and went between them. He was struck on the shoulder and then the leg. Michael GILOOLEY went into the street and called the prisoner to come out. The latter wanted to follow but was prevented by a number of people.

Prisoner then went upstairs [it being a low house] got out through the window, and went towards Michael GILOOLEY. Prosecutor told him to give over and shouted "Police!" prisoner struck him on the thigh and stomach and he shouted he had been stabbed.

Dr MC NICOLL was called and found two wounds, one in the abdomen, one in the thigh. The knife produced would cause such wounds. P.C, KENDALL found the knife in prisoner's waist-coat pocket, committed to sessions bail refused.

Liverpool Journal, Jan 14th, 1882

Birkenhead Police courts

Mary HUGHES, a deaf and dumb woman was charged with being drunk and disorderly and breaking two panes of glass in the shop windows of her brother, Arthur HUGHES, Fishmonger, Rock Ferry. Brother said the prisoner, whose illegitimate child, he was keeping, was in the habit of annoying him. She had recently struck him in the face and thrown stones at him in the street. She came to his house throwing stones at the window, breaking two panes. 6 mths ago she did the same and he had to take her to court. He was keeping her child of 8 yrs, clothing and educating him. She wanted the child, he gave the child back once, she was drunk and turned out of her lodgings, sleeping with the child in entries and out-houses, she had pawned the child's good clothes he had provided, for drink. She constantly annoyed him, he one time gave up his situation and left the town in consequence, remanded

Frank ALLEN charged with embezzling 1 pound 45 pence belonging to George CORKHILL, Cork manufacturer, Conway St. He was employed there in 1878 to solicit orders, one was sent to Thomas GARDNER, Licensed Victualler, Tithebarn St the amount was paid to the prisoner who then absconded, GARDNER intended to pay, prosecutor withdrew charges on account of prisoner's wife and children. Mr BURNSAND, Photographer had employed him for the past 8 yrs, gave him a good character, discharged

John PARSONS, Stonemason, employed in Bootle, summoned for threatening P.C CHALLONER. The officer met PARSONS in Albion St on Sunday morning, he was using abusive language and calling him a murderer, alleging he wanted to kill him. Defence believed the accused laboured under some hallucination having a long series of charges against the police in his past, he was satisfied not 100th part to be true. Accused often wandered around the streets at 4am accusing the police of murder, asked who he lived with, defendant said he had two sons, whom he often turned out of doors, ordered to keep the peace, not to speak to complainant any more, case dismissed

Ann JONES and Ellen TAYLOR brought into custody, TAYLOR charged with stealing and JONES receiving an overcoat belonging to Henry MURPHY, Pawnbroker, Market St. They had been into his shop and on them leaving coat was missing, P.C, DUFFY approached the pair trying to board the Woodside Ferry, JONES had the coat under her arm, sent for trial to sessions

Mary BURKETT summoned for breaking a pane of glass in the window of the house of Edward JONES, where she lodged. On Sunday defendant quarrelled with BURKETT and threw jars, jugs, mugs and cups at her, she put her fist through the window braking the glass, evidence given by complainant's daughter that drunken brawls were frequent. Defendant said the window had been broken for months, case adjourned for further evidence.

Samuel WILLIAMS living at Bromborough summoned for being drunk and disorderly at that place on the 4th inst. P.C, 174 found him in that state at the cross in the village. Defendant said he had been out with the hounds and met a gentleman who gave him a shilling to drink his health. He had some Irish whiskey, whiskey with beads in it, Lieut Colonel King.

What kind of whiskey is that?

Dunvilles, and it Dunvilled me [laughter] it was Christmas time your worships.

Leiut Colonel King; you are a foolish fellow to be Dunvilled, you must pay a fine of 2s-6d and costs.

At St Helens yesterday

Thomas MC GUIRE was summoned for assaulting Hugh MC CORMACK, they had been drinking in the Black Horse, Parr, on the 4th inst, complainant was fetched out by his wife, defendant and another man named DORAN followed them home. DORAN knocked him down, while he was down defendant kicked him, fined 1 pound and costs or 2mths prison.

Breach of licensing laws at St Helens

William LEIGH, Landlord of the Seven Stars Inn, Millbrook, Eccleston, pleaded guilty to selling intoxicating liquor during prohibited hours on Dec 28th last. Those involved, Samuel WEBB, Thomas PARR, James HALL, Thomas WARD, Joseph PARR and George MANCHESTER, all fined 5s each and costs

Liverpool Police court

Robert WILSON, charged with burglary at the shop of Thomas TODD, Tobacconist, Park Hill Rd, prosecutor found prisoner in the act early Saturday morning with a quantity of tobacco concealed on his person. Entrance was gained to the premises through a broken window at the rear, assizes for trial

Mary MULLEN charged with wounding James MULLER of 260 Upper Mann St, complainant drinking in a house in Star St where prisoner has apartments. They had both been drinking, on going downstairs complainant slipped and put his foot through a pane of glass in the cellar window, when prisoner came out and struck him on the back of the head with a piece of iron, 21 days prison with hard labour.

Thomas DOYLE charged on remand with having on the 27th ult, wounded his wife with a shovel, inflicting a serious wound on her head, remanded for 7 days till his wife was fit enough to appear.

Robert SMITH charged with wounding his wife, Ann SMITH, early yesterday morning. The wife of the prisoner was sitting on the steps of her house, 34 Cuerdon St, awaiting his return. He returned drunk and without provocation knocked her down and kicked her. In the house he later struck her over the head with a chair, remanded for 7 days

James WOOD charged with being drunk and disorderly on the 11th instant. The prisoner witnessing the Rotunda pantomime, suddenly rose and began to preach d la Salvation Army. The audience turned him out. On P.C 356, requesting him to go home quietly he refused and was taken into custody, fined 5s and costs

Charles NAPIER was charged with assaulting Thomas ROBINSON, Publican, Strickland St, on Sat last. Prisoner was involved in a disturbance with some other men and was using abusive language. When complainant threw him out, accused struck him a severe blow to the right eye, fined 40s and costs or 1 mths prison.

Ellen Ann BROWN, aged 16, charged with stealing 21 pounds from her father, John BROWN, Tobacconist, 257 Scotland Rd, and a watch and chain from her brother John BROWN. Ellen ROBINSON a widow, who keeps a shop at, 310 Scotland Rd, was charged with receiving the same knowing it to be stolen. Prisoner left her father's house on 6th inst and went to live with ROBINSON. The girl said ROBINSON incited her, promising to take her to Manchester to start up in business. She asked for the goods back but ROBINSON said she had lost them. It was found ROBINSON had asked a publican at 110 Vine St , to keep the goods for a few days, committed to sessions for trial, bail accepted for BROWN

County Magistrates Court

George BROUGH, aged 16, charged with stealing 6d from the poor-box in the laundry kept by Mr KAY in West Derby Rd, which was intended for the Little Sister of the Poor. The prisoner had been employed by the prosecutor, and knew how much was in the box. Mr KAY suspected him and marked the money, which was later found on the prisoner, remanded

George BUNTING charged with being drunk and disorderly at Walton. Frank BUNSALL charged with attempting to rescue BUNTING from the police. BUNTING, very drunk was behaving in a noisy manner and was taken into custody. BUNSALL made a savage attack on the constables kicking them about the legs. Both were then locked up. BUNTING fined 5s and costs for being drunk and 20s costs for assaulting the police, BUNSALL fined 10s and costs for interfering with the police in the exercise of their duty.

Hugh THOMPSON, a respectfully dressed youth of about 18, charged with stealing 9 hens, the property of Samuel HOPE, Sandringham Rd, Tuebrook, 3 hens and 1 cock the property of Thomas MADDOCKS, Larkhill Rd, Tuebrook and 2 hens the property of William HARRIS, Sandringham Rd, Tuebrook.

Fowls had been going missing for some weeks past in the neighbourhood. They were found at the prisoner's house. The fowls had been allowed to stray into a brickyard at the back of the prosecutors houses, the prisoner had employed a boy, Robert JACKSON, to catch the fowl by spreading corn on the ground. The boy received a 1d for his services and the promise of a dog, committed for trial, admitted to bail

Liverpool Journal, 21st January 1882

Wrexham County Petty sessions


Richard ROGERS, Wholesale Butcher carrying on business at Summerhill charged with depositing for sale unsound meat

On 16th December defendant killed 28 sheep, 4 were taken to the shop of Mrs HUMPHREY at the Moss, Broughton and exposed for sale.

On the following morning Mr DAVIES the Inspector of nuisances and Mr Robert ROBERTS Veterinary surgeon seized one of the carcasses, which they considered diseased.

Mr CARTWRIGHT of Chester for the defendant, submitted the wrong person had been summoned, Mrs HUMPHREY ought to have been proceeded against. It was decided any animal affected with flukes was unfit for human food, where would they stop?

Two Veterinary surgeons, the defendant's son and a butcher were then called and said the carcass seized was sound, case dismissed.

Wrexham Borough court

Edwin Humphreys WILLIAMS formerly assistant overseer, committed for trial on a charge of embezzlement of poor rates amounting to 266 pounds.

Defendant well known being a borough rate collector and also holding other responsible positions in the town.

The overseers confessed they left matters, entirely in the defendants hands. 2nd charge of falsifying accounts was dropped.

Birkenhead Police Courts

Joseph BRADY, brought up for being drunk and disorderly in Market St and assaulting 2 police officers. Prisoner was creating a disturbance in Eldon Place, P.C HARRIS asked him to desist when prisoner struck him severely, kicked him and bit one of his fingers, he had bruises on his legs.

Prisoner alleged P.C HARRIS attacked his wife and this exasperated him. The bruises on the P.C'S legs where from a swelled vein he had, always had, no doubt he had blackened them for the occasion, if his Worships would allow he would wet a handkerchief and rub the marks to prove it.

Mrs HUGHES, said she saw the P.C strike the prisoners wife while she was holding a baby, a girl CALLAGHAN gave similar evidence. The officer denied striking the woman.

Mr PRESTON believed the officer and doubted the prisoner's statement as he had been 28 times before the courts, 4 mths hard labour.

Sarah Jane ATKINSON of 9 Charlescomb St, Tranmere, brought into custody charged with being of unsound mind.

P.C 89 called to the house at 8.30 on Saturday night, prisoner was in an excited state. She said a man and woman where in her house and wanted to murder her. P.C found no one there.

Witness a lady of 8 Elm Grove said, Mrs ATKINSON, who she had never seen before, knocked on her door asking for protection against a man and woman in her house who had something like a peacock with prongs on it, they wanted her to stand at the back door till they shot this through the body. She was sure they wanted to shoot her with this thing and was in fear for her life.

Witness took her in till her brother-in-law arrived, he went into the house and found nothing.

The prisoner was not satisfied till a policeman was sent for.

Supt CLARKE said Dr LAIDLOW was sent for and said Mrs ATKINSON was suffering from the effects of drink. She had been a widow for 18 mths, her husband's estate wound up, said she could have 100 pounds a year for life. The estate was in the hands of Mr BELLRINGER of Liverpool.

Mrs ATKINSON when questioned said she was not afraid now and the matter was settled.

Mr PRESTON remanded her in order that her friends may be communicated with.

Henry RICKETTS, alias William BROWN, alias Henry HALL was brought up on remand on suspicion, P.C GIBBONS said at 1am on the 11th inst he saw the prisoner crouching in a passage behind Market St, on searching him he found a large stone tied in a handkerchief in his pocket. Prisoner confessed he was to smash in some place, if the officer hadn't nailed him, he would have broken in somewhere before morning.

Supt CLARKE said the prisoner had repeatedly been convicted in different parts of the Country and was at present wanted for house breaking in Wales, gaoled for 3 mths with hard labour.

Frederick GOODWIN, a pattern maker of 1 Ernest St, Toxteth Park, summoned for interfering with the comfort of the passengers on the Birkenhead Railway.

Insp BAXTER of the company's service prosecuted.

Thomas JONES, Coppersmith of, 63 Oakes St, Liverpool said he and his wife had boarded the train at Chester at 10.30 pm on the 27 ult.

Prisoner and two other men used insulting language to his wife, when he interfered they set upon him and beat him severely.

Corroborative evidence was given by his wife and Margaret WILLIAMS of Elgin St, Birkenhead.

Harry SIMS the guard said that complaints were made to him concerning the three men's conduct at Rock Ferry Station.

Prisoner regretted incident saying he was drunk at the time, fined 20s and costs.

St Helens

Luke CONNELLY of Parr was charged with assaulting P.C RHYMER, he had 45 previous convictions, 2mths prison with hard labour.

Southport County Court

William BOOTH, Rent collector of Southport and William ODDIE a bailiff each charged with unlawfully assaulting John Henry SIMPSON, Cow keeper of 23 Stamford Rd, Birkdale.

Mr OAKES of Southport for the complainant

Mr BEST of Liverpool defending

Mr BOOTH collected rent for Mr HIBBERT of Birkdale and on the 2nd inst went to the house of Mr SIMPSON for a quarters rent. He was asked in the house and before receiving the rent signed the reciept for the amount.

SIMPSON gave the receipt to his wife and then went into the shippon. His wife went upstairs and brought down receipts for taxes paid to the amount of 2 pounds 18 shillings and 1 pound 12 shillings. These BOOTH would not accept for payment and was ordered out of the house. He could not get his receipt back even after seeking help from a police constable. He returned the next day with a warrant. He and ODDIE managed to get in and a struggle occurred this is when they struck SIMPSON, fined 10s each and costs or 14 days prison.

City Police courts yesterday

Jane JOYNSON, aged 19, charged with stealing wearing apparel, the value of 1 pound, property of Mary Ann WRIGHT, 44 Lydiate St.

Prosecutrix said in september last she heard the prisoner giving her experience at a Salvation Army meeting in Beaufort St. She heard her asking where she could obtain lodgings, thinking her to be a good Christian she invited her to stay at her home, where she stayed for a few days. On her leaving she found clothing missing.

A few days ago she met her in the Cocoa-rooms and confronted her.

Prisoner said she had taken them by mistake and would return them. Which she did and stayed the night at Prosecutrix home. On prisoner leaving property was found missing and subsequently found in various pawnshops in Birkenhead, guilty for trial

John STANTON a private in the 40th foot Regt, stationed at Warrington was charged with being drunk and assaulting the police. He was walking along Scotland Rd at 12 o clock on Saturday night, he was knocking people off the side-walk as he went and hitting them with a stick. When confronted by a PC he hit the PC with the stick and kicked him, fined 20s and costs or 14 days

James WALKER, Ramsey St, was summoned for discharging a gun on the 8th inst. PC saw prisoner fire a double-barrelled gun in Commericial Rd. Prisoners explanation was that he had some valuable birds and saw two flying away, in order to prevent them escaping he took his gun and shot them [laughter], fined 2s-6d and costs.

Henry James Cornwall WEBSTER, charged with embezzling, 10s, 20s and 13s the moneys of Charles Edward POLL, Bailiff, process server and inquiry agent, 140 St Domingo Vale, prisoner employed by the prosecutor as manager and collector during the absence of Mr POLL who was on his Christmas Holidays. He received the money but failed to pay it over or account for it - for trial to sessions.

Thomas FOGARTY, Dock labourer, charged with cutting and wounding his wife by striking her over the head with a belt. She was taken to the Borough hospital on Saturday night with a wound on her head, an artery had severed and she was in danger of bleeding to death. At this time she said she had complained to her husband he had not brought enough money home, a quarrel occurred and he hit her over the head. He was arrested and when charged said, "It served her right"

The wife now swore he did not strike her and that she was drunk at the time and fell hitting her head. The bench discharged the prisoner, but the Chairman remarked, he only escaped through the wilful and deliberate perjury of his wife.

City Sessions Thursday

Ellen STEEL, aged 25, charged with having on the 16th December last stolen a diamond ring, sheets and other articles the property of Thomas George EDWARDS.

Her husband William STEEL, 56, Stuff dresser, was charged with receiving the same. The woman took lodgings in upwards of 25 houses and stole from them several items, amounting up to 150 pounds. Det GLYNN took the prisoner to Manchester where she pointed out several pawnshops where she had pledged the stolen goods.

Here she escaped amongst a large crowd of people, 2 days later she was apprehended in her lodgings along with her husband where a considerable amount of stolen goods where found, Ellen STEEL, 5 yrs penal servitude, William STEEL, 4 mths prison.

City Sessions Friday, St Georges Hall

Samuel Hopper WATSON, aged 19, clerk, Hugh CUTHBERT, aged 17, pageboy and John Stewart CRIGHTON, aged 17, shopboy, charged with having on 31st December last unlawfully obtained from the Washington Hotel Company [Ltd], food and lodgings with intent to defraud. The prisoners belonging to Carlisle, left the city with only 12s between them. They came to Liverpool by train and proceeded to the Washington Hotel, Lime St and engaged a private room and bedrooms. The "boots" of the hotel was sent to Lime St, Station for their luggage consisting of one portmanteau The prisoners for 4 days had carte blanche at the hotel and lived like Lords. The suddenly disappeared from the hotel leaving the portmanteau behind, this was opened by the police and found to contain bricks and waste paper.

The prisoners where traced to Carlisle and brought back to Liverpool.

CUTHBERT had written to his father on New Years Day on Washington Hotel notepaper, informing him, he and his companions were staying, without a single halfpenny in their pockets. He told his father to send him no money to Liverpool but to forward some to the, General Post Office London.

Det ALLINSON also stated the prisoners had got on top of one of the carriages of the express train from Liverpool to Carlisle and had travelled the whole distance without being noticed, three weeks prison each.

William MARSH, aged 40, formerly a porter in the warehouse of Messers FRISBY, DYKE and Co, and Joseph PRITCHARD, aged 35, upholsterer were charged with stealing on the 14th December last, 2 rolls of carpet, other carpet, skin mats and other items the property of Messers FRISBY, DYKE and Co.

John MARK, aged 67, shoemaker and Mary Bridget MARK, aged 50, were charged with feloniously receiving part of the property.

Joseph SALKELD, aged 44, Carpenter at the same time charged with stealing on 31st Aug 1881, seven mats the property of Henry James COOK and others [Messers COOK and TOWNSHEND]. The two MARKS charged with feloniously receiving the same.

Mr Joseph Carlton SHANKS, buyer to the firm and manager at the carpet warehouse, in the box, stated, MARSH was for 3 yrs in their employment as a porter, it was his duty to keep stock straight, and being in a position of trust as the key holder, lock up at night and open up in the morning. On 14th December last he missed a roll of carpet and confronted MARSH who said the warehouse had been broken into the previous night.

This was found to be a sham.

The prisoners, the MARKS, lived in Blandford street, he carried on business as a shoemaker and she had a shop across the street and carried on business as a broker. She dealt with a Mrs MERCER, from Gloucester St, Dublin who ran a curiosity shop and had once lived in Blandford St.

The goods were shipped to Dublin and found in MERCER'S shop.

PRITCHARD was a carpet fitter with another firm, he left a roll of carpet at the MARK'S shop which was later despatched to MERCER'S shop in Dublin.

PRITCHARD found not guilty, sentence differed on the other prisoners.

Patrick CARPENTER, aged 40, formerly a member of the Corps of Commissioners, charged with stealing 40 tickets, the property of David Marshall SCOULLER and 30s belonging to the Liverpool Musical Society, found guilty and bound over to come up for judgement when called

George BROWNBILL aged 27, joiner, charged with at Prescot on 13th July last, embezzling 12s-8d and other sums the property of Thomas PRESCOTT was discharged.

Elizabeth HOLMES, aged 20, laundress, charged with at Bootle on 27th November last, keeping a disorderly house, discharged to come up for judgement when called

John WINROW and John William REID charged with at Ashton-in-Mackerfield on 5th November last conspired and agreed together to acquire a payment of 6 tubs of coal amounting to 4s-6d belonging to William and Edward Frederick CRIPPIN, WINROW 9mths prison, REID discharged

Mary LUPTON charged at Seaforth on 19th November last, with obtaining from William HOLMES by false pretences, 20 oysters, 1 fowl, 1 rabbit and a quantity of eggs, not proceeded with, liberated for 10 pounds and surety of 20 pounds to come up for sentence when called


Liverpool Mercury, 29 November 1882

Dublin outrages arrests

Shortly before three Sergeant Reilly, 11C, in uniform and Police constables Scully, 122 C, Donohoe, 67 C, and Murphy 8C. The last three named being in plain clothes, entered the house 13, Middle Gardiner St. which is let tenements. Their object was to arrest two men, Joseph Poole and a man named Grundy the brother of the man imprisoned for intimidating Mrs Kelly the widow of the man murdered in Seville Place. They found the two men in the same bed Murphy seized hold of Poole pulling him out of bed, Scully at the same time presented a revolver to his head, declaring he would blow his brains out if he resisted, Donohue searched his clothes before allowing him to dress. The prisoners were taken to the Exchange court

Copyright 2002 / To date