Misc snippets Clyst St George

Trewman's Exeter Flying Post or Plymouth and Cornish Advertiser

July 16, 1801

Exeter, Wednesday, July 15th, the Lord Bishop of the Diocese licensed, the Rev Gilbert Rice HANCOCK, of the Exeter College, Oxford, to the Curacy of Clyst St George.

June 11, 1823

Castle of Exeter, June 6th, Henry SALTER, of Clist St George, timber carrier was fined for carelessly driving, against the Mount Radford toll gate and injuring the same

North Devon Journal 01 May 1828

A labourer of Clyst St George named CALLOWAY was convicted in damages for cutting wood on the premises of Mr Robert NEX of Pinhoe.

Western Times 10 April 1830

At Woodbury Petty Sessions, Susanna TAPSCOTT of Clyst St George was brought up having 36 gallons of cyder concealed in an unentered room, she pleaded not guilty, cyder and cask were forfeited.

Exeter and Plymouth Gazette 12 November 1842

Robert HORWOOD, Clyst St George was apprehended on Saturday by Mr MORGAN of Topsham on a charge of stealing a sack of barley meal belonging to George GALE, maltster and spirit merchant. After enjoying the delights of indoor confinement till Monday he was brought before Sir John DUCKWORTH Bart, and fully committed.

October 24, 1844

Devon County Sessions

Transported for ten years, John LANE, aged 20 for stealing on the 4th August in the parish of Clist St George, a horse and mare the property of Elizabeth GORE

November 27, 1845

Extraordinary calf, Col LEE of Woodbury, has a cow, which on Saturday last, calved a remarkable calf, this weighing at two days old, 123 lbs. It was by a Durham Bull, the property of Mr W. COOK of Clist St George.

March 11th 1847

The English Gentleman

Often has it been said there is not on earth a character which does greater honour to human nature than that of a true English gentleman, a man of firm but gentle mind, and philanthropic in disposition, one who avoids and discountenances evil, and does all the good he can, and such is the Rev John Frederick DOVETON of Karsfield, Clist St George. Of what he was in the day of his strength as a Clergyman of the Established Church, the testimony of his parishioners by whom he was so greatly beloved, affords the best proof to what he is in his retirement every one living near him would rejoice to give evidence. With him the great object is to effect improvement. This he would do in all things, but especially does he desire that it should take place in agriculture, whether it be the farm or the cottage garden, his advice is ever ready, in the communication of facts, and the suggestion of new and improved modes foe obtaining increase in produce. Thus to does he encourage the agriculturalists of his neighbourhood to meet and converse together, being ever ready with his advice and assistance as to the introduction of new manures, and all that tends to the fertility of the earth, so that a greater amount of food may be produced for man and cattle. In this way recently he invited all the farmers in the parish of Clist St George to meet him in a friendly manner at his own residence some 15 or 16 were enabled to attend. Mr DOVETON entertained them with an excellent dinner, this passed, and the bottles on the table, he appropriately introduced and gave the usual loyal and constitutional toasts, then led the way to subjects in connection with agriculture in which he encouraged discussion, and in speaking of new manures mentioned the coraline formations furnished by our own seas and coasts, and ground to powder, as is done with bones, as a most valuable manure. Thus a most instructive afternoon passed, and when the evening came the guests took their leave with a still deeper sense of how much they owe to him as a most enlightened and useful neighbour and truly valuable friend.

August 5, 1847

The Harvest, the Wheat Harvest commenced in the immediate neighbourhood of this city on Friday last, 30th July, when Mr Henry PIDSLEY of Court Farm, Clist St George, cut a field of "Brown's Prelific" an early description of wheat. The Harvest also commenced at various other places in the vicinity on Monday last.

October 5, 1848

On the night of the 26th ult, some thief or thieves entered the farm of John SHILES at Keniford, Clist St George, and selecting from his flock a fine weather sheep, slaughtered and skinned it, and carried off the carcase. The skin was left in the field, it is supposed the entrails were taken away, as nothing of the kind was found.

November 16, 1848

Clyst, Agricultural Association, cottager's prizes, gardens in the neatest and best condition, Henry GREENSDALE, Clyst St George. The best crop of potatoes, onions, parsnips, carrots or cabbage from a garden or allotment, not exceeding a rood, Henry PARR, Clyst St George

November 16, 1848

Devon and Exeter Hospital, the treasurer reported that he had received 3 from the Rev T. CLARKE, being a collection from the Parish Church of Clyst St George

April 5th 1849

Clyst St George, on Thursday last, the rate payers of this parish assembled in the School Room, with the parochial officers, to pass their accounts etc, after having done so they sat down to an excellent dinner. The Rev T. F. DOVETON, took the chair supported by S. PARR Esq, and the much respected curate Rev Mr CLARK. The cloth being removed, the Chairman gave, the Queen, followed by Prince Albert and the rest of the Royal Family. The health of S. PARR. Esq was drunk, and in his reply he proposed the health of Mr John SHILES, of the Clyst Agricultural Association, eulogising him on his able manner of farming, and his true advocacy of the agricultural interest in general. In return Mr SHILES thanked the Chairman and company from his heart, for the high compliment gave him. He made many appropriate remarks on different subjects. Several other toasts followed, one of them of which was that of "Tenant Right" The evening was spent in the greatest harmony and conviviality. It would be well if the neighbouring parishes would follow this example

May 3, 1849

On Monday night Mr John HELLIER, Marsh Farm, Clist St George, had a lamb killed, the head, skin etc being left in the field and the other parts of the animal carried off. Two young men where seen about 9.30 pm, both having the appearance of persons lately discharged from gaol, were seen lurking about the field and are supposed to be the parties who committed the act. It would appear the thieves cooked part of the meat at the lime-kilns, which is near and probably slept there as people answering their description were seen about 4am to pass the George's Clist, turnpike gate by the Sidmouth Rd, and Heavitree, proceeding towards Exeter. Mr Supt STEELE was apprised of this and the police are on the alert.

May 31, 1849

Devon and Exeter Botanical and Horticultural Society

Cottager's prizes

Best bundle of leeks, best carrots, best bundle of vegetables, extra prize for broccoli and lettuce, Thomas SHEPPARD, Clist St George

May 31, 1849

Clyst, Agricultural Association, cottager's prizes, 1 each with a framed testimonial, Thomas SHEPPARD, Clist St George. Sheep Shearers, Class 1, members or sons of members, 1st prize William HELLIER, son of Mr HELLIER, Clyst St George, 3rd prize, George HELLIER, son of Mr HELLIER, Clyst St George.

May 31, 1849

Exeter District County Court, Friday Oct 12th

Insolvents, Thomas COOK of Clist St George, the insolvent who is a harness and saddle maker, applied for his protection, his debts, 277-10s-10d, assets, 74-18s-11d. Supported by Mr G. W. TURNER, passed his first examination and obtained his interim order.

January 17, 1850

Testimonial to a clergyman, the Rev T. CLARKE, being about to remove from the parish of Clyst St George, in which he has successfully laboured for several years, the Parishioners to mark their appreciation of his worth and excellence, subscribed a sum of money, and on Monday the 7th inst a handsome piece of plate was presented to the rev gentleman. On his retirement from Clyst St George, Mr CLARKE will carry with him the respect and esteem of all classes.

February 21, 1850

The Rev Henry Thomas ELLICOMBE has been instituted to the Rectory of Clyst St George, void by the death of William Rous ELLICOMBE, clerk on the presentation of John BLACKALL. Esq, M.D, and H. M. ELLICOMBE Esq

October 28, 1852

Sowton Ploughing Match, took place on Tuesday in a field near the Cat and Fiddle, public house, the society of which this was the first meeting, includes the parishes of Clyst St Mary, Clyst St George, Clyst Honiton and Farrington. There were 15 ploughs on the ground. The dinner was provided at the Cat and Fiddle, kept by Mr BURGOYNE, about 50 partook thereof. The chair was filled by Mr R. H. PIDSLEY, Moor Farm, supported by Rev W. BAGNALL and Mr WISH of Holbrooke, in whose field the match took place. Among the company we noticed, Messers, SHILES, GOULD, REED, ASHFORD, BURRINGTON, S. PIDSLEY, E. PIDSLEY, H. PIDSLEY, FROOM, DOWN, WARE, H. SHILES Jnr etc, Mr S. ROACH occupied the vice chair. The judges were Mr ASHFORD of Woodbury, Mr GRIFFIN of REWE and Mr BURRINGTON of Topsham.

Prize list, Ploughing 1st class, 1st prize, John MILSON, ploughman to Mr WISH, 2nd prize, John VENN, ploughman to Mr H. PIDSLEY, 3rd prize, John ROW of Clyst Honiton, 4th prize, Chas GODFREY, ploughman to Mr WESTCOTT, Extra prize, 5s, to R. PYNE, ploughman to Mr J. GARRETT. Esq.

2nd class, for persons under 20yrs of age, 1st prize, William WARE, son of Thomas WARE, 2nd prize, Jas ANDREWS, ploughboy to Mr J. PIDSLEY, 3rd prize, Robt JOHNS, ploughboy to Mr PYLE, 4th prize, Wm JOSLIN, ploughboy to Mr PITTS.

December 20, 1855

Castle of Exeter, Thursday, John COOK, a farmer of Sampford Courtenay and William COOK an innkeeper of Sampford Peverell, were ordered to contribute 1s-6d per week, each towards the support of their father, a pauper, aged 70, now chargeable to the parish of Clyst St George

March 4, 1858

R. H. ABERDEIN Esq has been appointed Under-Sheriff, the Rev M. TUCKER, Clyst St George, Sheriff's chaplain, and H. D. BARTON, Esq, County Clerk

May 13, 1858

Exmouth Petty Sessions, held last Thursday, The police and the publican, John LEATT, a beerhouse keeper of Clyst St George, was summoned for having kept his house open after the prescribed hours. The defendant who keeps the George and Dragon Inn, has annually obtained the magistrates license at petty sessions, by which he can sell spirits if he please. He has not, however been in the habit of selling anything but beer and cider and has no sign over the door indicating that spirits are retailed on the premises. On the night of the 10th April at 10.45, PC. SANDERS went into the house and found persons drinking there. The officer saw the brother of the defendant, the latter being away from home, but he did not say anything about having a spirit license. As the defendant had clearly a right to keep open his house until 11pm, under the magistrate's certificate the case was dismissed. The defendant applied for his expenses saying that he had made such an error he should have had to pay for it. The Bench granted the application.

December 23, 1858

Accident, on Saturday morning as Sir Massey LOPES, Bart. MP, and the Hon Lady LOPES, were on the road to Exeter in one of Mr PRATT'S carriages, near, Clist St George,, the near front wheel came off the carriage which was immediately upset. Lady LOPES received a severe blow on the forehead and her wrist was cut by glass, but she was able to proceed to Maristowe in the afternoon. Sir Massey and the servants escaped with a few scratches. Dr BRENT was promptly in attendance, and rendered professional service to her ladyship.

November 17, 1859

Sowton, Agricultural Association, Thatching, to the agricultural labourer who thatches a rick in the best manner, 1st prise, 15s to C. ROUTLEY labourer to Mr FROOM, 2nd prize, 7s-6d to J. MARKS, labourer to H. PIDSLEY of Clyst St George

February 11, 1863

Clist St George

The Choral Society of this little village held their third annual concert on Wednesday evening, in the schoolroom which was tastefully decorated with flowers and evergreens. The performance [without any musical accompaniment] were rendered in a style which reflected the greatest credit on the indefatigable exertions of the ladies by whom the members have been trained. The room was crowded with villagers, to whom the entertainment was open, and others from the neighbourhood who were admitted by purchase of tickets. Looking at the programme and the style of the performance, and the population of the parish [over 300] it is a matter of astonishment as well as encouragement that so many as thirty performers should be forthcoming. It only shows what patience and perseverance, with kindness and good temper will accomplish

February 22, 1865

Castle of Exeter, Friday, Trespassing in the pursuit of game, George BUCKLAND, labourer was charged with trespassing in the pursuit of game on the 28th January, in Pidsley Copse, in the parish of Clyst St George. Mr SIM stated he saw the defendant with a gun in the copse at 3pm on the day named, he asked him what he was doing and he replied, "Shooting pigeons and small birds" and produced a blackbird from his pocket. Mr WILLSFORD supported the charge. Fined 10s and costs.

November 15, 1865

Woodbury Petty Sessions, Monday

William HOWE was charged with assaulting William BACK. Twelve months since the complainant, a labourer of Clist St George, was returning from his work when he was accosted by the defendant, who, without the slightest provocation, struck BACK, and in the scuffle stabbed him. Directly afterwards HOWE offered to pay some compensation it the complainant would not prosecute him, but this promise was not kept, and when he found legal proceedings were to be taken HOWE left the neighbourhood. He was committed for trial.

November 15, 1865

Sowton annual ploughing match, took place Wednesday last at Clyst Honiton on a field in the occupation of E. WISH. 17 ploughs entered for competition, in the 4th class, sons of members of servants under 18, 2nd prize went to James ROSE, ploughboy of Mr SHILES, Clyst St George

November 29, 1865

Devon intermediate session concluded on Wednesday, William HOW, aged 24, labourer indicted for unlawful wounding at Clyst St George, was found guilty of common assault and was sentenced to 1 mth imprisonment.

October 31, 1866

The Rev H. T. ELLACOMBE, rector of Clyst St George has been appointed domestic chaplain to the Earl of Harrington

November 11, 1868

Woodbury Petty Sessions, Monday

John HAYNES and George BUCKLAND of Clist St George, were summoned for trespassing in pursuit of game on lands belonging to J. GARRATT. Esq, but the summons was informal and the case was adjourned.

November 24, 1869

Woodbury Petty sessions, Wednesday, John SANDERS, a labourer, was charged with stealing turnips from a field in the occupation of Mr HELLIER, of Clyst St George, and was fined 10s.

March 16, 1870

Woodbury Petty Sessions, Monday

Robert BRAUND, labourer charged with stealing a hurdle [valued 4d] from George SHAPLAND, of Clist St George. PC RYDALL said he was watching near the place and saw the defendant take the hurdle away from a small plantation belonging to Winslade Farm, and carry it home with him, witness followed and found the hurdle in his room and took the prisoner into custody. Fined 10s with costs.

March 29, 1871

Woodbury Petty Sessions, Monday

Henry DENNING of Clist St George, admitted selling beer during prohibited hours on Sunday 19th, March, fined 20s with 6s costs.

May 29, 1872

Woodbury Petty Sessions, Monday

Peter MAY and George BUCKLAND, of Clist St George, were summoned for trespassing in pursuit of game on lands belonging to Mr SIM, BUCKLAND fined 20s including costs, MAY 7s -6d, with costs.

August 14, 1872

Topsham Horticultural Society, held Wednesday at Winslade Park, by the kind permission of Joshua DIXON Esq. Prizes, Cottage vegetables, Kidney potatoes, 1 st prize, G. BUCKLAND, Clyst St George, 2nd prize, S, HOOPER, Topsham, 3rd prize J. TUCKER, Clyst St George. Dwarf beans, 3rd prize Jas RUTTER, Clyst St George. Wild flowers arranged by children, 1st prize Harriet STRONG, Clyst St George, 2nd prize, Celia VINNICOMBE, Clyst St George, 3rd prize, Robert LANG, Clyst St George. Extra prize, to Sarah RUTTER, Clyst St George

July 12, 1876

Woodbury Petty Sessions, Monday, John THORN, for allowing a horse to stray at Clyst St George, was fined 6d and 7s-6d costs.

July 10, 1878

Woodbury Petty Sessions, Monday, before Admiral May and John DIXON Esq, Emma FORD and Agnes ROWLAND, sisters, residing in Clyst St George were summoned by Mrs Sarah PALMER for assaulting her on the 2nd July. There was a cross summons against Sarah PALMER for assaulting Agnes ROWLAND. After hearing a great deal of evidence the Bench decided that the case against FORD and ROWLAND was not thoroughly substantiated and dismissed it, ordering the complainant PALMER to pay the expenses. They had no doubt PALMER assaulted ROWLAND in a trivial manner, and fined her 2s-6d and costs.

Edward FORD, farm labourer, Clyst St George and husband of the defendant in the last case was brought up in custody on remand charged with stealing the handle of a scythe, the property of James ROSE, also a farm labourer. Prosecutor had been in hospital for about a month after the 28th May, and when he went in he left his scythe in a field of his master Mr MOORE of Topsham. The prosecutor's brother used the scythe on the 3rd June, and in the afternoon the prisoner saw it and said it was a pretty little handle. He left it in the hedge and on the following Wednesday the handle was gone. On the 10th June the prisoner sold the handle to Edwin DARTCH, for 1s-6d. When the prosecutor came out of hospital he gave information to the police, and the prisoner was apprehended at the Exeter Inn, Topsham. The prisoner pleaded guilty and as he had already been in custody 10 days, he was sentenced to 2 weeks imprisonment with hard labour.

November 13, 1878

Exeter County Court, yesterday, STOKES v. PRATT, This was a "running down" case, the plaintiff a butcher, of Sidwell St, Exeter, claimed of the defendant, landlord of the Horse and Dragon Inn, Clyst St George, the sum of 35 the extent of damage caused, as he alleged, to his cart and horse by the defendant's carelessness. The case was expected to last a considerable time, and as the learned Judge was suffering from a severe cold which affected his voice, Mr FRIEND and Mr FRYER, solicitors in the case consented to an adjournment until the 9th December.

October 15, 1879

Woodbury Petty Sessions, Monday, Richard REDMOND and Thomas GREENSLADE, boys, residing at Topsham were charged with stealing apples, the property of William May HELLIER, from an orchard at Clyst St George, on the 3rd inst, and William HARRIS another boy was charged with aiding and abetting the other defendants. All pleaded guilty and were each fined 5d and 7s-2d costs.

August 17, 1881

Topsham Annual Flower Show, held last Thursday at Winslade, awards for cultivated allotments awarded to Clyst St George, Richard WARE and John POTTER, Gardens, Clyst St George, William STOKES and William GIBBINGS

September 26, 1883

Woodbury Petty Sessions, Monday, John SALTER, aged 17, was summoned by William May HELLIER for stealing apples on the 14th September at Clyst St George, fined 5s and costs.

October 10, 1883

Woodbury Petty Sessions, Monday, Elizabeth WALTERS, laundress, Clyst St George, pleaded guilty to allowing a pony to stray on the highway in that parish on the 30th September. PC RYALL proved the case. Fined 6d and 2s expenses.

July 30, 1884

Devon Summer Assize, Thursday at the Castle of Exeter

Action on a promissory note

HELLIER v, ELLIS, Counsel for the plaintiff, R. COLLINS, Q.C, and Mr PITT-LEWIS, instructed by R. R. M. DAW. Counsel for the defendant, Mr CHARLES, Q.C, and Hon Bernard COLERIDGE, instructed by Mr Walter FRIEND.

The plaintiff is a farmer of Clyst St George, and the defendant a farmer of Thorverton, and the plaintiff claimed of the defendant the sum of 246, alleged to be due on a promissory note. The defendant paid 15s into Court, and said that the money had been paid.

Mr CHARLES having opened the case, and a good deal of contradictory evidence having been called, the jury were directed to return a verdict for the defendant, and judgement was entered accordingly.

July 30, 1884

Clyst St George, The Rev H. T. ELLACOMBE, the respected Rector of Clyst St George, on Sunday last, the 17th inst, returned public thanks that it had pleased the Almighty to spare him to enter his 96th year in health and senses.

August 12, 1885

Topsham Flower Show, opened on Thursday in the grounds of Weir Park, kindly lent by Sir John T. B. DUCKWORTH Bart. Prizes for Gardens and allotments, in Clyst St George, allotments, R. WARE and J. POTTER, Gardens, W. GIBBINGS and Charles PRICE.

September 30, 1885

Auction, 12, 13, 14th, October, Household furniture etc, The Rectory, Clyst St George, Messers HUSSEY and Sons, auctioneers.

March 5th, 1889

Clyst St George, Concert, last evening, at the schoolroom, before a large audience, in aid of the organ fund. The following was the programme :- Pianoforte solo, Miss L. GIBBS, song, F. SMITH, reading the Rector, song, Mr HALLIDAY, Topsham, duet, Mrs CHOPE and Miss GIBBS, song, Mr RICKARD, the handbells, St George's ringers, song Miss GIBBS, glee, the choir, song, Miss SMITH, recitation, W. WESTAWAY, song, Mrs CHOPE, song, Mr STEER, the handbells, St George's ringers, comic song, Mr HALLIDAY, recitation, W. WESTAWAY, glee, choir, "God save the Queen."

March 11, 1889

Exmouth Petty Sessions this day, Alleged theft of a pole. William HARRIS, aged 16, of Topsham, was charged with stealing a pole, value 3d, the property of John COLE, Marsh Farm, Clyst St George. Prosecutor stated the pole was nailed across a gateway and he saw it there last November. On being charged by the policeman the defendant said he picked the pole up half a mile from the field in question, Cross examined by Mr VINE he could not identify the pole. James MIFFIAN in the employ of the last witness, deposed to nailing the pole up to the gateway [produced] PC PHILLIPS stated that on the 27th February he was in company with PS ELLSCOTT, when he met the defendant near Topsham carrying the pole produced, on being asked where he got it he said he picked it up at Madlin Corner. Witness pointed out it had evidently been used for a fence, but defendant denied ever taking it On his going the next day to make inquiries he met the defendant and asked him to show him the spot where he picked it up, which he did. Witness said if it had lain there, there would have been mud on it, there was none on it.. He afterwards went to the prosecutor and saw the gateway where it had been nailed, the three nails in the pole corresponded to three holes in the gate post. Mr VINE for the defence, had two witnesses who he could call before them to prove the boy was not guilty. He was an errand boy in the employ of Mr FERRIS, grocer Topsham, and had to carry groceries from Topsham to St George's Clyst, and on that day had been to St George's Clyst, and was returning from that place. The case he contended was one of suspicion, and he would prove the boy picked the pole up at the place where he stated. George RUTTER, said on the 27th inst he met the defendant near the George and Dragon, he had no pole. Bertie TOWELL, telegraph boy at Topsham said he had been to St George's Clyst, and met the defendant between the lime kilns and Marsh Farm. The Bench thought there was not sufficient evidence to convict.

July 19, 1889

Alleged theft by an old gipsy. Michael DEAN, a gipsy nearly 95 yrs of age was charged at Exmouth yesterday, before Capt LUKE, with stealing a quantity of wood valued at 6d, the property of John Lewis STEER, builder, Clyst St George. PC WOODBURY of Topsham, stated that on Wednesday evening he was on duty at Topsham Bridge, and saw the defendant there. At the side of the road were three gipsy vans and several horses. A gipsy girl about 8yrs old went into the Mr STEER'S marsh, picked up several pieces of wood and gave them to the defendant, she went for more and put it into the van. Witness accused DEAN of stealing the wood, he walked away and made no reply. Mr STEER asked that DEAN might be dealt with leniently, but the magistrate committed him for trial. July 27th, DEAN appeared in court, the Judge called the case, "trifling" and DEAN was found not guilty and discharged

September 24th 1889

Illegal fishing at Topsham, At the Castle of Exeter this morning, George WANNELL Snr, Robert HEARD and John HEARD of Topsham, where summoned for unlawfully fishing or attempting to fish for certain salmon in waters called Clist river, during the season, contrary to the bye-laws of the Exe Salmon Conservators. There are two other charges both at the same time and place, one being that they did above a line drawn from the perch at Turf on one side and the Woodbury Rd, station on the other side, use nets for fish other than salmon. The third charge was for unlawfully using a mode or instrument for fishing for fresh water fish, other than, and except a rod and line contrary to the bye laws of the Exe Salmon Conservators The defendants pleaded not guilty to all charges and were defended by Mr BROWN, while Mr HARRIS [Messers FORD, HARRIS and FORD] prosecuted. Mr A. K. HAMILTON asked if the offence took place in the parish of Topsham or outside. It was stated that if it had occurred in the parish of Clyst St George, it would be out of the magistrates jurisdiction. Mr HARRIS, stated he was informed that it was in the parish of Topsham. Having stated the facts and the Acts of Parliament under which the case arose, he concluded by saying that the prosecution was taken with the view to protect the fishing and improve it for the protection of such men as the defendants. It seemed short-sighted policy on there part to commit acts which would tend to stop their own livelihood.

He then called Henry LUXTON, who said he was a water bailiff from Topsham. On the day in question he went down to the river Clist. Just above the river he saw George WANNALL'S boat, across the mill leat was a net, 60yds above that was another net fastened across the river, further up 200yds apart were three more nets fastened at each side of the river. After waiting about 2hrs he saw the three defendants come back. He went to George WANNELL, who said, "he had a right to the fishing" and witness replied he had not. Cross examined by Mr BROWN, He had lived in Topsham all his life, and did not know whether the mill leat was in Clyst St George or Topsham. They were not using salmon nets, but smaller ones. PC PHILLIPS was questioned as to the parish in which the alleged offence was committed, he said the mill leat was in the parish of Clyst St George, but where the other net where as described by last witness, one side of the river was in Clyst St George and the other Topsham. Mr BROWN asked if the case came within the magistrates jurisdiction, they decided it was.

Speaking on behalf of the defendants Mr BROWN, they did not deny they were there, but the reading of the bye law made it appear to them that it only applied to the seaward side of the weir, the place they were fishing Mr WARREN could allow anyone to go, they went to him and asked permission, they did not do it at night but openly, they did not think they were doing wrong. With regard to catching salmon, he had heard that you might as well catch and elephant, as to catch any such fish there. In order to find them guilty it must be shown they had a criminal intention. Mr WARREN, miller of Marsh Mills, Clyst St George was then called. He said WANNELL had asked him could he catch some mullet in the river, he said, he could, not knowing he would be acting against the law. He had been there for 37 years, and had never seen a salmon there, it was common for mullet to be caught there. By Mr HAMILTON, he had never heard of anyone being prevented from catching mullet there. The Bench dismissed the case on the first charge, but in the other two cases a fine of 2s-6d with costs of 5s, would be inflicted making 15s each in all

May 31st 1890

Alleged assault at Clyst St George

Magisterial proceedings at Exmouth

Scene in court

A special Session was held at Exmouth Public Hall on Wednesday, Colonel NAPIER in the chair, to hear a case against Walter COLES, farm labourer, who was charged on warrant, with assaulting and beating Elizabeth PAGE, at Clyst St George on Sunday last. The prosecutrix, a domestic servant to Mr HANNAFORD, Marsh Farm, Clyst St George, and who appeared in Court, with her arm in a sling, said on Sunday evening, just before 9, she was in the road near the St George and the Dragon proceeding towards the farm, when she saw the prisoner by the door of the public house. Witness heard someone whistle to her but she did not look back. She then saw the prisoner running after her. On coming up to her he took her by the arm and swung her round. It was raining at the time and the prisoner asked for part of her umbrella. She refused, and the prisoner then caught her hold around the neck, and, catching hold of the umbrella, struck her a violent blow on the arm with it. At this moment prosecutrix heard her arm go "crack". A woman then came in sight, and the prisoner took the umbrella and walked away, she [witness] fainting at the time. Elizabeth TRIBLEY, the woman, said to the prisoner, "It is a fine thing to take away the girl's umbrella," and he replied "Yes it is" After fainting witness could not remember anything else until she found herself in her sister's house. Prosecutrix went to the Devon and Exeter Hospital at 1am on Sunday night, when her arm was bandaged.

Prisoner said he went into the public house about 7pm, and did not go out until about 9pm when he went home. He had never seen the girl for the evening, and had never spoken to her. Elizabeth TRIBLEY, wife of George TRIBLEY, of Clyst St George, said she was returning from the Topsham Station on Sunday evening, and when near the St George and Dragon Inn, she saw a young man and woman together, who she thought at first were "iteming" On going near to them she heard the girl call out, "Let me go, let me alone" When the witness went to them the prisoner let prosecutrix go, the latter saying that he had taken away her umbrella. Witness said it was a "shame", when prisoner replied, "Yes 'tis, idn't it" Witness made inquiries about the prisoner, and informed the prosecutrix's brother-in-law of the occurrence. At this point prosecutrix had a fit, and it was with difficulty two policemen could hold her.

Edward PARSONS, of Clyst St George, employed at the manure works Topsham, brother-in-law to the prosecutrix was next called, and said he left the public house on Sunday night about 10 mins to nine, where he had seen the prisoner. Soon after arriving home the prosecutrix was brought in, in a fainting condition. Witness went and informed her master of it, and while out he saw the prisoner with the girl's umbrella. On being asked why he assaulted the girl, he said he did it for a joke, and he wanted a part of her umbrella as it was raining. Prisoner gave the witness the umbrella. Witness saw a doctor at Clyst St George, who ordered him to take the girl to the Devon and Exeter Hospital where her arm was bandaged. No bones were found to be broken. Prisoner was wearing a grey suit of clothes.

Walter BERRY, a carter and John BRAY, a bricklayer's labourer of Clyst St George, proved seeing the prisoner in the vicinity on the night in question. PC PHILLIPS, stationed at Topsham, proved apprehending the prisoner on warrant, and charging him with the offence. He said, "They have made a mistake altogether in the man, I don't know nothing about it." Witness produced a suit of grey clothes which the prisoner said he wore on the night in question. At this point of the case prosecutrix had a second fit, and a medical man was called. Prisoner denied all knowledge of the assault, and said he walked straight home after leaving the public house. George BEDFORD, labourer Clyst St George, was called by the prisoner in defence, and said that COLE whistled to him and they walked home afterwards together. Prisoner was committed to take his trial at the next Quarter Sessions on a charge of occasioning grievous bodily harm. Bail was allowed, prisoner in 10, and BEDFORD became another surety in 10.

May 30, 1891

Exmouth Show, Monday, Farm competition, 1st prize, J. L. and H. STEER, Addleford, Clyst St George, 62 acres.

June 20, 1891

Devon Quarter Sessions, for trial, John BRAY snr, John BRAY jnr, [bailed on committal] receiving goods knowing them to have been stolen, in the month of March at Clyst St George

August 15, 1891

Topsham and District, Horticultural Society, at Winairde Park, flowers, box of cut blooms, Clyst St George, Annie SCOTT, Alice GIBBINGS. Special prizes given by Mrs STACEY, Clyst St George, for the best 12 pots of plants in bloom,, J. UNDERHILL, Mr T. BRAY. For gardeners assistants for the best collection of 12 different vegetables, F. SARGEANT. For gardener's wives for the best arrangement of flowers, grown by the exhibitor, Mrs RICE, Mrs GARDENER. A special prize of 1 sovereign for the best collection of 12 vegetable, Peter DREW, A. TRUMAN. Writing, for children under 14 yrs, Clyst St George, William RICE, Lloyd TRISKEY. Needlework, extra prize George PYM, Clyst St George, Emma TRICKEY, Ann TRICKEY, extra prize Julia PRATT, Knitting, Emma TRICKEY.

January 12, 1895

Presentation at Clyst St George, on Wednesday evening a presentation was made to the Rev C. T. TARR, curate of Clyst St George of a handsome travelling clock and address on his leaving for another sphere of labour. Major TRACEY spoke of the highest esteem in which Mr TARR was held by the parishioners during the time he had been with them. And wished him every prosperity in the future. The Rev TARR thanked the subscribers and expressed his sorrow at leaving the parish. Amongst those present were Messers J. STEER, STILES, W. G. FILDEW, RICKARDS, W. GIBBINGS, C. GLASS, START, BEAVIS, POTTER and others.

June 22, 1895

Devon Summer Assizes, Robert METHERELL, a boy of Coombe St, Exeter, pleaded guilty to indecently assaulting and ill-treating Kate DAVEY at Clyst St George, May 4th, His Lordship, bound the father over in the sum of 5, to bring prisoner up for judgement when called upon.

January 18, 1897

Devonshire Divorce Court, before Mr Justice BARNES, in the Divorce Division in the High Court of Justice on Saturday the case of PARKYN v, PARKYN, came on for further hearing. This was a suit in which Mrs Elizabeth PARKYN, Clyst St George, sued for divorce from her husband, William PARKYN, on the grounds of his alleged bigamous marriage with another woman at Barton Regis. The suit was undefended Clara SENDALL was called, and stated that she went through a ceremony of marriage with Mr PARKYN, who gave the name of William Fred PARKYN, at Barton Regis, and she had lived with him. She identified his photograph and handwriting, and Mrs PARKYN also identified them. On this his Lordship pronounced a decree nisi for the dissolution of the marriage.

March 30, 1897

The Rev M. D. BUCKINGHAM, Vicar of Burrington, North Devon, has been offered and accepted the living of Clyst St George.

May 10, 1897

Exmouth Petty Sessions, Thomas PEARCEY, a carrier of Budleigh, Salerton, was summoned for being drunk whist in charge of a horse and waggon at Clyst St George, on the 26th April. Henry ROGERS of Woodbury said, whilst driving up Stoney Lane he met the defendant and owing to the lane being very narrow witness drew into the side thinking defendant would also pull in, but he did not until the witness's wheel was jammed, and defendant still drove on. Witness asked him to apologise but he refused. Fined 20s and costs.

September 2, 1899

Thunderstorms in Devon, on Monday, The thunder and lightening frightened the deer in Powderham Park, they ran in all directions, as also did the cattle in the fields. Mr J. DISCOMBE of Halwell farmer had a bullock killed. A large oak tree a Pytte House, Clyst St George was split, Major TRACEY the occupier of the residence had a narrow escape, for while shutting one of the windows the electric current struck his arm and he could not move it for hours.

April 14, 1900

The Rev E. G. SELLMAN, married, Rector of Great Casterton, near Stamford, who was addicted to taking morphia in large quantities, and who committed suicide in his library by shooting himself with a revolver, was formerly curate at Holy Trinity, Taunton and Clyst St George, Devon. At the last Rutland Assizes he was to have figured as defendant in an action alleging the seduction of a parish official's daughter, but the case was postponed to the Summer Assizes.

Western Times 28 April 1903

Before Capt ASTLEY COOPER and the Rev F. S. W. HAMILTON GELL, at Woodbury sessions yesterday, Frank HARRIS summoned Edward PARSONS both of Clyst St George for assault on the 18th inst, Complainant stated that he was on the hedge of the field of his master talking to some friends when defendant came up the road with a fellow workman named MUTTER. The latter accused him of wasting the time of his master, words ensued and defendant threatened to twist complainants neck. Later defendant chased witness who ran away as he did not want to fight. Later on when in the George and Dragon Inn talking to MUTTER, witness was struck by defendant three times in the face before he had time to defend himself. He received a black eye and cut lip. The master of complainant corroborated the last statement, defendant fined 5s and costs.

Western Times 27 September 1904

Poaching or threshing at Clyst St George

Thomas HARRIS labourer of Woodbury was summoned at the Woodbury Petty Sessions for poaching on Marionport Farm, Clyst St George on the 18th inst, defendant pleaded not guilty.

P.C, CHAMBERS said he watched defendant go to a field and send his dog in pursuit of a rabbit, he saw him pick up the rabbit from a hole. He asked defendant what he was doing, defendant replied that he had a right to be there.

Mr A. STEER owner of the farm said, the constable brought the defendant to him, and defendant asked him to let him off. Witness could not do so, as the defendant had been caught a week previously in the same field by his son.

Defendant denied the offence and said the rabbit was killed by a threshing machine. Fined 10s.

Western Times 30 September 1904

Thomas HARRIS, labourer of Woodbury was summoned at the Woodbury petty sessions for poaching on Marionport Farm, Clyst St George on the 18th inst, he pleaded not guilty but was fined 10s.

Western Times 06 January 1905

Accident to an Exeter man near Clyst St George

William OSBORNE, aged 38, of 4 Rosemary Lane, Bonhay Rd, in the employ of the City Brewery Company, was driving a waggon and two horses between Woodbury and Clyst St George yesterday afternoon when one of the horses became fractious, and OSBORNE was thrown to the ground, receiving a compound fracture to the left leg. Mr CORY a traveller for Messers KITTS and son, was passing at the time and bandaged the leg as well as he could and drove OSBORNE to the Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital where he was detained.

Exeter and Plymouth Gazette 29 August 1910

Strange affair near Topsham

A strange affair happened near Topsham on Saturday evening, about 9pm, Miss RICE of Clyst St George with a friend was waking home from Topsham when near the mills she heard a noise coming from the direction of the river Clyst. She went to the spot and found a woman struggling in the mud. Sending her friend for assistance she stayed with the woman and succeeded in getting her on the bank. She found that the woman was partly undressed, her clothes being on the bank. The woman was the wife of Mr C. RANDALL of Clyst St George . How she happened to be in this position is not known.

Western Times 26 March 1912

Woodbury Sessions before Rev F. A. W. HAMILTON GELL and Major GARRATT, yesterday the licenses of the George and Dragon Inn, Clyst St George was transferred from Louisa PRATT to Charles MAIR.

Western Times 04 July 1912

Wandering at Clyst St George

At Exmouth Police Court yesterday, before, Mr J. R. ACLAND and Mr H. BLACKMORE, a young married woman named Emily Maud WREFORD, residing with her mother at Heavitree was charged with being a wandering lunatic.. P.C. KIFF, stated he saw the woman near Port View Farm Clyst St George, at 8.45 pm last night wandering aimlessly. She was unable to tell him her name or where she lived. He took her to Topsham Police Station and after making inquires, learned she came from Heavitree. Her mother said she was a widow and went out to work, her daughter had great trouble owing to her husband leaving her thirteen months ago for Canada, she had not heard from him since. Mrs WREFORD was examined by a doctor with the view to her being cared for in an institution.

Western Times 01 October 1912

Woodbury Petty Sessions

Drunk at Clyst St George

Arthur FARRANT a bricklayer, [formerly of Exmouth] was charged with being drunk and disorderly at Clyst St George on September 1st, he did not appear.

PC. KIFF stated on the date named at 9.45pm he was on duty near the Post Office when he saw the defendant led by Charles POLLARD. He was drunk and using bad language, and unable to walk without assistance. Witness spoke to him and told him to go home, he struggled and tried to get away from POLLARD [with whom he was lodging]. Fined 6s inclusive.

Western Times 15 November 1912

Alleged attempted suicide at Clyst St George

A man named George TULLY was admitted to the Devon and Exeter Hospital yesterday, with a bad gash in the throat, said to have been self inflicted. It appears Mr and Mrs TULLY, who belong to Denbury, were visiting a relative, Mr FISHER, at Addlespool Farm, Clyst St George . Mr TULLY intended to go to Exeter and consult a physician on the question of his health, he having been somewhat depressed of late. Mrs TULLY went downstairs at 3am for a cup of tea, and on her return to the bedroom, found Mr TULLY bleeding from a nasty wound in the throat. Dr McPHERSON of Topsham was called and after his attention the injured man was sent to hospital, where he was detained.

Western Times 02 March 1917

A six year old boy named George CONNETT of Homefield Place, Heavitree, while crossing Fore St about noon yesterday was knocked down by a motor cycle ridden by Mr Thomas PIDSLEY, Clyst St George. Fist aid was rendered by Mr T. PETERS of the St John Ambulance Brigade. CONNETT received injuries to his knees and was also suffering from shock.

Exeter and Plymouth Gazette 27 June 1917

At Wonford Petty Sessions yesterday, Margaret Louisa RICKARD and Edith Emily RICKARD of Clyst St George pleaded guilty to riding bicycles without lights at Countess Wear on June 15th. PC. COX said when defendant saw him they got off their bicycles but when he had spoken to them and left they got back on their bicycles and rode home. Fined 2s-6d each.

Western Times 01 April 1920

Parents responsibility

Serious disclosure at the Castle of Exeter

Case for official notice.

Serious case came before the Wonford Bench, Sir James OWEN, [chairman], Mr H. G. MORGAN, and Mr G. HARRISS, at the Castle of Exeter on Tuesday, when John TANOCK, travelling labourer of Clyst St George was charged with neglecting to send his child Reginald to school at Topsham and also failing to comply with an order made by the Court on July 1st, 1919, in respect of his son Alfred.

Mr STEPHENS, [school officer of the Devon County Council] said Reginald was absent from school on the 17th March and during January, February and March, had only made 57 attendances out of a possible 102. In the opinion of the witness the mother was to blame, as the father was travelling about the country, went away in the morning and did not return until late at night.

Miss MILLER, said she sent the children home from school on the 3rd and 11th of March as they were in a verminous condition. In their clothes the Medical Officer and herself could detect hundreds of eggs of the vermin.

Sir James OWEN remarked that it did not seem to be so much a case of neglecting to send the children to school, but rather that they were sent home from school because they were in a verminous condition. They were bright children and were not being given a fair chance.

The Attendance Officer then stated that Alfred had made 60 attendances out of a possible 102, and he added when he visited the house the mother and the place appeared to be clean.

The School Nurse, who was recalled, said the apparent cleanliness was only superficial.

The Chairman expressed an opinion that something should be done by the authorities of a more drastic character than merely summoning the parents for the non attendance of the children at school. The Bench, however could only deal with the case as it was placed before them. The one pound fine conditionally imposed last July in regard to the non attendance of the boy Alfred would now be made absolute, and in respect of the boy Reginald there would be a conditional fine of a similar amount. The Chairman added that if the mother did not do her duty and keep the children clean, and they were in consequence excluded from school the Bench would make the fine absolute, and the proper county authorities would doubtless take the case in hand because evidently the house was a menace to the health of the whole neighbourhood.

Western Times 31 March 1922


At Exmouth Sessions on Monday before Mr S. G. PARSONS, in the chair, Mrs J. E. BAKER, Messers C. E. THORNYCROFT, L. LEES and J. HARTREE, an application was made by Mr M. THOMAS, Exeter for possession of a cottage at 19 Clyst St George , occupied by Mrs Nellie WESTON

Mr THOMAS said his application for ejectment was made on behalf of Major A. H. GIBBS, Pytte House, Clyst St George . He stated that during the war Major GIBBS required a gardener, and he obtained the services of the husband of Mrs WESTON. It was part of the contract as this cottage was available that WESTON should live in it, and he therefore entered into possession. In December 1920, the gardener died and Mrs WESTON has been in the house ever since. No rent had been asked for and none had been offered. The woman was really trespassing on Major GIBBS indulgence, and she now declined to go out. It put Major GIBBS in an embarrassing position, as he wanted the house for a cowman he had just engaged. Major GIBBS was now giving this man accommodation in his own house. There was no question of hardship on Mrs WESTON, who had been offered accommodation in the neighbourhood.

Joseph BOTTERELL, clerk to Mr DREW, said when he served the notice on Mrs WESTON, she said neither Mr DREW, Major GIBBS of forty men like them would put her outside her house.

The Chairman and the Bench would make an order for ejectment within 28 days.

Western Times 01 February 1924

A Clyst St George divorce

Because of the misconduct of her husband, Henry Gordon SHRUBB, Mrs Doris Irene SHRUBB, who up until recently lived at Clyst St George , was granted a decree nisi in the Divorce Court on Monday. The petitioner said her husband served through the war, and afterwards they lived together at Exeter, but her husband ill treated her, and used bad language to her. Eventually she had to leave him, and she discovered that he had been guilty of misconduct.

Western Times 20 January 1928

Accident to Clyst St George farmer

Whilst working a circular saw attached to his tractor on Saturday Mr E. T. HEPPER, Clyst St George farmer slipped and caught his hand on the saw, he was taken to Dr R. C. WORSLEY, Topsham, four fingers had been badly cut and he was suffering from shock and loss of blood. Mr HEPPER is progressing favourably and it is hoped his fingers will be saved.

Exeter and Plymouth Gazette 02 July 1929

Women Licensees

Exmouth Comment

I cannot see why a woman should not be able to manage an hotel or public house quite well, with reasonable help, said Mr F. C. HUNTER, Chairman of Exmouth Petty Sessions, yesterday in assenting to the temporary transfer of the licence of the George and Dragon Inn, Clyst St George from Mr C. HANDLEY to Mrs Gladys Mary de JONG.

Mr H. Linford BROWN, in making the application, said he understood the police had no objection

Mr HUNTER, I see her husband is going to help her.

Mr BROWN, Yes, he will there practically all the time, but she is purchasing the premises. There will be a man on the premises.

Inspector DART, said the police wished it to be made a condition that there must be male help present the whole time. The house was a busy one, allsorts of people called there, and it was absolutely essential, and should be made a condition of the licence, there should be male help available all the time.

Mr BROWN, You cannot put a condition to the licence.

Inspector DART, Yes you can, There was talk of Mr de JONG was going into business at Exeter.

The Chairman said he did not think the Bench had any power to put a condition in the licence, but Mr BROWN had given his assurance that somebody would be there, and the Bench would grant the transfer. He thought, however, it was only fair to say he could see no reason why a woman should not be able to manage an hotel or public house fairly well, with reasonable help close at hand. There seemed to be perfectly capable women who could do it well.

On the application of Mr W. J. PRING, for Mr Thomas Henry WILLIAMS, licensee of the Malsters Arms, Woodbury, the Bench assented to an alteration for the purpose of providing a separate jug and bottle entrance. Mr PRING stated that the present jug and bottle entrance opened from the passage, and it was thought advisable on account of the children, to make the department separate.

Western Times 22 May 1931

Clyst St George farmer fined at Exmouth for cruelty to a horse.

Reginald Henry T. FISHER of Clyst St George, was summoned at Exmouth Sessions on Monday before Mr S. G. PARSONS, Mr T. ABELL, Mr L. LEES and Mrs J. E. BAKER for cruelly ill treating a horse by working it in an unfit state. Defendant was represented by Mr A. J. McGAHEY and pleaded not guilty.

Inspector LALE of the R.S.P.C.A, stated that about 12.30pm on the 29th April PC. HARDING heard a horse walking on the road at Clyst St George and by the sound he came to the conclusion that the horse was lame. He found the horse attached to a farm cart driven by the defendant who admitted that the animal had wrenched its off shoulder some time previously. Defendant said he had not had veterinary treatment for the horse, and promised not to work it again until it was better.

Inspector LALE said he had examined the horse, an old one, it was very lame on the off fore leg. He asked defendant how long it had been lame he said, he thought it sprained its shoulder about a year ago and had been lame ever since. Witness found evidence of ringbone in the off fore foot, there was heat in the foot, when pressure was applied the horse showed signs of pain. He considered any exercise on the road would cause the animal pain.

William ROACH, veterinary surgeon of Exeter said he considered the horse was not fit for work anywhere. It should be plain to any individual the horse was lame.

Mr McGAHEY said defendant had no intention of causing a horse pain, he had a farm of 117 acres, and this horse was 15 years old, born and bred on the farm. His client thought it was suffering from rheumatism and had treated it with oils.

Thomas WILLS, horseman and William George RENDELL, cowman, employed by defendant, did not consider the horse in pain or lame. Henry FISHER father of defendant also gave similar evidence.

Chairman imposed a fine of 1.

Western Times 11 September 1931

Clyst St George licence transferred

Mr L. J. HALLETT of Exeter applied at Exmouth Sessions on Monday for the transfer of the licence of the George and Dragon Inn, Clyst St George , from Mrs Gladys Mary de JONG to Edward PEDLER

In reply to Supt PARR Mr PEDLER said he was at present licensee of the Modbury Inn but intended to give that up and reside at the George and Dragon. The Bench agreed to grant the transfer on condition that the licence of the Modbury Inn was transferred to another licensee.

Western Times 13 April 1933

Albert Edward BAILEY of Clyst St George on the information of P.C. WHITE of Lympstone was fined 10s at Exmouth Sessions on Monday for not having an efficient silencer on a motor car, defendant admitted that the chamber had burnt through, but did not realise it was noisy.

Exeter and Plymouth Gazette 06 May 1938

George and Dragon

The St George and Dragon Hotel, Clyst St George, Exeter has been sold by Messers MUDGE and BAXTER, auctioneers of 6 Queen St, Exeter, by private treaty, subsequent to auction, to Mr Arthur N. PITTS of Exeter.

The St George and Dragon Hotel, is a very old establishment, the premises originating, it is believed in the 14th C, and being used at one period as a chapel. Until recently it was a small country inn, about two years ago the premises were greatly enlarged and improved and the hostelry has been developed as a highly popular road house.

Western Morning News 21 July 1938

Airman injured at Clyst St George

Flying a Miles Hawke, monoplane from his home in Co Antrim, Northern Ireland yesterday, Capt F. J. C. BLOOMFIELD crashed at Court Farm, Clyst St George, last night. It is understood he had to make a forced landing and that the machine nosed over as it touched the ground.

The pilot was fortunate to have escaped injury, but suffered from shock and received a blow to the head. He was attended by Dr S. C. DARBYSHIRE of Woodbury and taken to an Exeter nursing home by Exeter St John Ambulance Representatives of the airport, including Dr A. GLEN in attendance.

Western Morning News 26 February 1946

Exmouth protection order.

A protection order in respect of the George and Dragon Inn, Clyst St George, was yesterday granted at Exmouth Sessions to Mr W. J. MOOR in succession to Mr F. LOBB, who is going to Cornwall. Mr D. C. M. NICHOLLS making the application, said Mr MOOR had just been demobilized from H.H. Forces and had previously assisted his father in the management of the Chevalier Inn at Exeter before it was blitzed.


2011 all rights reserved to date