Henry MILLER, Head Constable 1844

Liverpool Mercury February 9, 1844

Successor to Mr WHITTY, applications for the situation of Head Constable have been referred to a sub committee of nine to consider and report, the vacancy will not be filled for at least a week to ten days. There are 51 candidates, 3 being superintendents of Liverpool police, and one a superintendent of the county constabulary.

March 1, 1844

Appointment of Head Constable, the sub-committee after careful investigation reduced the list of 54 candidates to 3. The first being Mr MILLER, who has been acting as the superintendent of the Glasgow police for the last eight years, and during that time has repeatedly afforded abundant evidence of the soundness of his judgement as well as of the firmness and determination of his character. His knowledge of criminal law is extensive. The second was Captain WHITTY, who has been in the army for 13 years and has served as adjutant and captain. After his retirement from the army he acted as assistant to Captain MOORSOM for 2 or 3 years in the construction of the Birmingham and Gloucester Railway, and for the last 2 years has conducted the secretary ship of the London Colonial Association. The third was Mr SHEPPERD, who was formerly in the army and has been assistant chief-constable in the county constabulary since its formation four years ago. He is the brother-in-law to Captain WOODFORD the chief of the county constabulary. On Tuesday last the Watch Committee met for the purpose of choosing one of the three and the appointment fell upon Mr MILLER, by a majority of 19 to 3.

Liverpool Mercury, April 26, 1844

The new Superintendent of Police

On Saturday last the ceremony of swearing Mr Henry MILLER the newly appointed, Chief Constable, took place in the Police-court before His Worship the Mayor, Thomas SANDS Esq, and E. RUSHTON Esq, magistrates, and James ASPINALL Esq, vice-chairman, and most of the members of the Watch Committee, who came into court a few minutes after 1pm. Mr MILLER was accompanied by Mr WHITTY. The necessary oaths having been administered by Mr ELLIS, senior clerk to the magistrates, Mr RUSHTON addressing Mr MILLER said, "Mr MILLER you have been appointed by the Watch Committee of this borough, who have the power to appoint all officers of the police force, to fulfil the arduous and responsible situation of Head Constable, to succeed a man whose example I trust, you will carefully endeavour to follow, and who has earned for himself the highest consideration not only from the magistrates but from every class of the community. I trust when it happens at some distant period, that you are to retire from the great position you now hold, that you have the satisfaction of leaving the office with the good wishes of the whole community, which your predecessor carries with him, and I wish you may long live to discharge the duties of your office." Mr MILLER bowed and immediately left the court.

Upon the retirement of Mr WHITTY from the police force on Saturday last he received a highly complimentary letter signed by Edward RUSHTON and Francis HEYWOOD Esq's enclosing a cheque for 410 being the amount of subscription entered into by several gentlemen, desirous of presenting him with some substantial mark of their approbation of his conduct whilst he held the situation of Head Constable of the borough. The subscription list contained the names of many respectable inhabitants of the town. Mr WHITTY in suitable terms, acknowledged the highly flattering and well deserved compliment.

October 25, 1844, Liverpool Albion

For some days past an investigation has been going on before the Watch Committee, relative to the general conduct of the Head Constable. A number of witnesses connected with the police department have been examined, some at considerable length, and it is stated that should the present Head Constable resign or be removed, it is not the intention of the Watch Committee to appoint another, but to entrust the surveillance and management of the force to the superintendents and inspectors. A sub-committee has been appointed to inquire into the present efficiency of the police force generally and whether the printed rules and regulations are fully carried out, results of investigation to be reported at a future meeting of the committee.

Proceedings of the Watch Committee minutes

"At a special meeting of the Watch Committee held on the 24th, October, 1844, the report of the Daily Board was read, "The Daily Board of yesterday think it their duty to report to the committee, on the earliest opportunity, that the Head Constable has been guilty of a flagrant disobedience of orders, given to him by the chairman in the presence of three members. An application had been made to the committee to allow a portion of the police force to attend at Birkenhead yesterday. The request was immediately compiled with, and the Head Constable was directed to send 50, under the charge of an experienced superintendent, with the usual compliment of inspectors, but on Mr LAYCOCK one of the commissioners of Birkenhead, deputed to make the necessary arrangements, expressing the wish to have the services of the Head Constable also, the chairman and the other members of the committee then present refused, in the strongest terms possible, to allow him to leave his post in Liverpool, thinking it highly probable that his utmost energies would be required to keep order and regularity amidst the immense concourse of persons likely to be assembled at the pierheads, as well as to superintend the necessary arrangements during the disembarkation from the various steam-boats at night, but, notwithstanding this positive prohibition, the Head Constable thought proper to go over to Birkenhead with Mr LAYCOCK at 7am, and did not return to the discharge of his duties in Liverpool until 3.30pm, thereby setting an example of insubordination and neglect of duty which cannot but prove highly prejudicial to the good order and discipline of the force. It also appeared that Superintendent LOVERATT and Mr HEWITT, the foreman of the fire-police, were both absent at Birkenhead yesterday, the latter during the whole day, and, as the Head Constable states, without his permission. The Daily Board have not yet had the opportunity of inquiring into the cause of the absence of these two officers, but think it important an immediate investigation should be instituted by the committee, as, in consequence of such absence, there would not have been any superior officer in the borough competent to take the command and make the necessary arrangements in the event of a fire."

George Hall LAWRENCE, Chairman of the Daily Board.

And the Head Constable, Superintendent LOVERATT and Superintendent M'DONALD, having been called in and examined on the subject thereof, resolved that the evidence been given, with the report of the sub-committee appointed on the 5th inst to inquire into the present state of the police force as to its efficiency, and whether the printed rules and regulations are full carried out, a special meeting was held on the 25th October it was resolved unanimously, - "That this committee, having taken into consideration the evidence taken yesterday, concur in opinion as to Mr MILLER'S inefficiency to fulfil the duties of his situation, and it is further resolved that his services be dispensed with, but that he be allowed to resign forthwith. Resolved also, that the secretary be directed to transmit a copy of the above resolution to Mr MILLER, the Head Constable."

At the meeting of the 26th, the following letter was read and ordered to be entered in the minutes :-

"Central Station, Liverpool, 26th Oct, 1844, "

"Gentlemen, - I beg to reign into your hands the situation to which you did me the honour to appoint me last March. In accepting the appointment, I resigned an office which I had held, not only with the general approbation of the public authorities, but of the citizens of Glasgow, for nearly eight years, and in coming to Liverpool, I subjected myself to great domestic expense and inconvenience, but finding that I cannot any longer satisfy either you or myself, I deem it due to the public and my own sense of right, to challenge the worst consequences rather than continue in an office, the duties of which I find I can no longer fulfil with satisfaction to myself.

"In retiring I hope to leave behind no unkind feeling, I entertain none, I am Gentlemen, yours very respectful, "H. MILLER" The above letter having been read, the resignation was accepted and in consideration of the heavy expenditure to which Mr MILLER had been subjected in removing from Glasgow and establishing his family in Liverpool, he would be allowed his salary up until 27th February 1845, the day this year his appointment took place.

It was appointed that the Commissioners of police be directed to take charge of the police force until a further resolution thereon.

Ironically in the same newspaper of the 25th, an article appears concerning the Birkenhead Festival, of the 23rd, [the foundation stone of the new dock was laid] the event requiring extra policing in that article it refers to the morning being bright and beautiful, many rose early to prepare for the pleasures of the day, it seemed the whole of Liverpool were excited by the event, crowds of gaily dressed people made their way to the river side, seven steam-boats plied regularity between Liverpool and Woodside and Monks Ferry to ferry the masses to the Cheshire side. The shops and markets were closed at Birkenhead and there was a days holiday, with every man being paid the amount of a day's labour. "A large body of Liverpool police under the command of Mr MILLER was in attendance, and great credit is due to the chief constable of Liverpool for his efficient services in marshalling the procession, assisted by superintendents LOVERATT and M'DONALD, who had the immediate disposition of the officers of the police force and the arrangements were such, as under the circumstances, reflected great credit on all parties concerned. The procession was formed in Hamilton Square and the streets adjoining, at 11.30 am it moved forward, leading the procession on horseback, were the High Constable of the borough Mr PALMER, Mr MILLER head constable of Liverpool, Mr MOSS general superintendent, and Mr ROUGHLEY police inspector. ?

In November 1844 an advertisement appeared in the Liverpool newspapers, for the auction of excellent household furniture, by Messers Thomas WINTANLEY and Sons, at the residence of Mr MILLER

In December 1844 and January 1845 articles appeared in the Glasgow Herald, concerning letters Mr MILLER had sent to the Liverpool Watch Committee, and Corporation showing his disgust at the way he had been treated, he thought his good character had been injured and that he had been treated with a want of common courtesy and respect.

The contents of a report which contained several reasons why Mr MILLER had been considered incompetent to discharge the duties of the office of Head Constable. The report stated that during the time Mr MILLER was head Constable the printed rules and regulations for the good conduct of the police force were not carried out, Mr MILLER had not attended the bridewells and stations at intervals during the day and night, the force since his appointment had declined in general discipline, partly from the foregoing causes and from him having selected young and inexperienced inspectors, he had kept himself aloof from the superintendents and inspectors, his general conduct and demeanour had been so haughty and overbearing as prevented intercourse with him, that acts of insubordination and dissatisfaction in the discharge of their duties had been more frequent under Mr MILLER than before and there was a greater desire on the part of the men, than ever, to quit the force, and the cause of much of the insubordination of the officers was the injudicious system of drill introduced by Mr MILLER. Subsequent to his resignation Mr MILLER had applied for a copy of the evidence taken in his case before the Sub-committee, his application was refused on the grounds that as his resignation had been accepted, there was an end to the matter.

Mr NICHOL, asked whether it did not appear somewhat singular that the proceedings against him should be publicly read in the council now 6 weeks after Mr MILLER'S resignation, these proceedings would go forth to the public and perhaps prevent the man from getting another situation.

Mr BIRKETT agreed with Mr NICHOL; the proceedings contained a most unmitigated condemnation of a public servant, he did not mean it was unjustified but he thought when the Council allowed him to resign, they should have washed their hands of him altogether, he ought not to have been allowed to resign he should have been dismissed.

Mr ASPINALL was quite sure that, that report would never had been published if Mr MILLER had not voluntarily come forward and published a letter in the public prints, containing a series of miss-statements

March 21, 1845

Mr Henry MILLER, late Head Constable of Liverpool has been appointed Governor of the Glasgow prisons and superintendent of the other prisons in Lanarkshire, with a salary of 650 a year. In April 1848, he was appointed by the Glasgow Municipal Police Board to the office of Chief Superintendent of Police, with full powers under the Act.

December 5, 1848

Captain MILLER, Superintendent of the Glasgow police, who for a short time held the office of Head Constable of Liverpool has resigned, in consequence of the state of his health, he is succeeded by Superintendent MACKAY

By September 1850 he had taken the position of Messenger at Arms, living 25 Queen St, Glasgow, in this capacity he was despatched to America from Liverpool on the steamer Niagra, by the Guarantee Association, in pursuit of James DEWAR a teller in the Western Bank who absconded, under the name of Mr and Mrs DUNN on the same vessel which bore Jenny Lind. In July 1857, apprehended William WOOD, late salesman to William GILMOUR and Co, Glasgow, at Helensburgh on a charge of embezzlement , they were conveyed to Greenock on the steamer Alma. While the boat was passing West Quay WOOD jumped overboard, but was rescued by two Norwegian seamen. When taken into the boat, however, he drew a razor from his pocket and cut his throat, he is now in the Infirmary in a critical state. In 1867, appeared as witness as Messenger at Arms at the Glasgow Spring Court, in the case of James COLHOUN, of Londonderry for uttering false and fabricated letters of guarantee.

September 24, 1873, Glasgow News The death of Henry MILLER is announced.

The announcement of the sudden death of Mr Henry Miller, of the Glasgow and West of Scotland Guardian Society, for the Protection of Trade, will be received with regret by the commercial community. Mr MILLER seemed to be in his usual health on Sunday last, but was stricken with apoplexy on Monday morning. From the moment he was seized with the attack he was insensible, and died Wednesday afternoon, aged 71 years. In his early years he was a messenger-at-arms at Dunblane and in Paisley he pursued the same calling for some time. Coming afterwards to Glasgow, he was so successful in prosecuting inquiries regarding criminals, that in 1836, he was appointed superintendent of the city police. About 1844 he received the appointment of head of police at Liverpool, but southern tastes not harmonising with his own, he soon returned to Glasgow. Subsequent to the period referred to he was Governor of the Glasgow Jail, and later on still was offered the chief-constableship of the city, which he accepted, but after a lapse of a comparatively short time, resigned the post in order to commence business on his own account in the city. As a messenger-at-arms Mr MILLER proved himself very energetic, and as Secretary to the Guardian Society he was particularly active and successful in detecting and exposing fraudulent dealers and swindlers. The "cautions" which he caused to be published from time to time in the newspapers saved not a few merchants and retail dealers in Glasgow from many a "bad debt", The deceased was much employed by banks and business firms in the detection of frauds and was generally respected. Mr MILLER was a gentleman of commanding appearance, and his portly figure will be much missed in the streets of Glasgow, he was native of Stirling

2012 all rights reserved