Death from a fall
Yesterday morning a rigger, John GRIFFITHS, aged 30, fell from the main topgallantyard of the American ship Sarah and Louisa, in the Stanley Dock. He struck the maintopmast-stay and fell to the deck. He was quite dead, verdict, "Accidental death".
Andrew BOYD of No 9 Kitchen St, and who had formerly been much addicted to liquor, requested his wife to get up at 4am yesterday, she did so and was making the fire, when she heard a groan, and on going to the bedside found the deceased had suddenly expired, verdict, "Died by the visitation of God".
Yesterday morning a dock labourer, Michael FLYNN of Mason St was found by a man named Henry RICE, lying in a state of insensibility at the Canning Dock side. He was taken to his lodgings but died within a few minutes of being taken there, he was also much addicted to drunkenness.
On Wednesday night last William HARRINGTON, 14 Cavendish St, fell into the river at the Seacombe slip. He was got out by some men and walked home, he was put to bed and Dr Emmett was sent for, but before he arrived the deceased had expired, verdict, in accordance to the evidence was returned.
On Saturday morning last, Abraham TWAITHE, aged 56 of Rathbone St, fell through a trap in the mill of Joseph Martin, Rainsford Square. He was conveyed to the Royal Infirmary where he died on Sunday morning, verdict, "Accidental death".
On Friday afternoon, Thomas FODEN, employed at the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway station, Great Howard St, was pushing a waggon along the line, when an engine came up and knocked him down. He caught hold of the life-guard that is before the wheel of the engine, and was drawn along with it several yards. He then loosed his hold and fell under the wheel, which passed over him crushing his head to atoms. Verdict, "Accidental death" with a strong expression of opinion that the company have not sufficient lookout kept, that part of the line being very dangerous.
Liverpool Mercury, January 11, 1853
On Wednesday last, Thomas CLEGG, aged 8, living with his parents in Airey St was severely burnt by his clothes accidentally taking fire, his mother upstairs heard screams coming from the kitchen and found the child in flames which she could not extinguish, until the little fellow was severely burnt over his stomach, face and other parts of the body, he lived only till the following morning, verdict, "Accidental death".
On Friday morning Michael DOYLE, a labourer employed at the Industrial Schools, Kirkdale, met with an accident which resulted in his death the following day. The deceased was attending the pigs and had to manage a small boiler used for boiling the pig's food. The boiler burst and the hot water ran into the ashpit of the furnace, the deceased in his hurry to escape fell into the ashpit and was severely scalded over his legs and the lower part of his body. He was conveyed by cab to the Northern Hospital, where he died the next day, verdict, "Accidental death".
Liverpool Mercury, January 21, 1853
On Thursday last Hugh CARY died at the Workhouse, Brownlow Hill. Death was ascribed to natural causes and a verdict to that effect was returned.
Richard ROBINSON fell into the Princes Dock on Wednesday week, and died the following Friday, a verdict, "Accidental death" was returned.
On Tuesday last John DAY, aged 52, was assisting to discharge some flour from a French Brig, lying in one of the docks. During the day he left the hold and went to the head of the vessel, shortly afterwards a quantity of blood was seen in the water, and blood was seen to issue from the mouth of the deceased, he had ruptured a blood vessel and was taken ashore, where he died a few minutes afterwards, verdict according to evidence returned.
John CALLAGHAN, aged 23, died on Wednesday last in the Borough Gaol, of epilepsy. The prisoner was recently tried before a jury on a charge of felony and was acquitted. On the 8th he was again brought up before Mr Mansfield on another charge of felony, and was ordered to trial. He was seized with epilepsy immediately after being sent to gaol which resulted in his death. His mother [a respectable old woman] attended the inquest at the gaol, and on seeing the dead body of her son, clasped her hands and passionately ejaculated, " He was the sixteenth child. It is painful to a mother's feeling, he was a bad, wild lad, but thank my gracious Redeemer that he has taken him from me." A verdict, of "Accidental death" was returned.
John CLARKSON, aged 70, died on Saturday last at the Southern Hospital. On the 10th ult deceased was employed as keeper on a ship lying in the Brunswick graving dock, and during the night he fell into the dock, where he was discovered by PC 234 who conveyed him to the hospital. He had received a compound fracture of the left leg extending to the ankle, from which he died. A verdict, of "Accidental death" was returned.
Liverpool Mercury, February 4, 1853
Yesterday morning Ann SPRUCE, of Bootle, who had been suffering for some time back from disease of the heart, was found dead in bed, verdict accordingly
On Tuesday morning William HALL, aged 2, was so severely burnt by his clothes accidentally catching fire, he survived only a few hours. The deceased lived with his parents in Hardwick Court, Clare St, he was left in the house with another child only 6yrs old, verdict "Accidental death".
On Tuesday Isabella COOKE, daughter of Samuel COOKE, Park St, was found dead in bed having been accidentally overlain, verdict accordingly.
About a month ago William WILCOCK, a porter on the Liverpool and Yorkshire Railway was shunting some carriages to a siding of the Exchange Station. The shunting was done by a rope fastened to an engine on another line, the deceased endeavouring to cast off the rope from the carriages was crushed between the latter and the waggon by which he received a compound fracture of the left leg. He was conveyed to the Northern Hospital and died on Wednesday, tetanus having supervened from the injury, verdict "Accidental death".
On Tuesday last Hugh RILEY a porter in the employ of Lee and Waddington fell through a warehouse doorway in New Quay, and received severe injuries which terminated in death a few minutes after the accident, verdict "Accidental death".
On Monday last James McDONALD, a man who lodged in Peter St died suddenly whilst sitting in his chair. He had been drinking immoderately the previous night, and was a man of dissipated habits, verdict "died from natural causes."
Ann EDWARDS living in a court in Highfield St was found dead on Monday evening the cause of death being congestion of the lungs, supposed from the usually intemperate habits of the deceased, to the result of excessive drinking, verdict "Accidental death".
A serious charge
Yesterday the widow of a man named Gilbert EVANS, of Burrough Gardens, appeared at the coroner's court, in consequence of a letter received by the coroner involving a charge against her of a very grave character. The husband, Gilbert EVANS a man of dissipated habits was found dead in bed on Thursday morning the 27th ult. He was affected with asthma and went to bed drunk the previous evening, having never been sober for 5wks previous. Evidence was produced at the inquest that the deceased died from natural causes and a verdict to that effect was returned by the jury.
The letter, sent by the deceased's father, was as follows, :-
I beg to announce that I am the father of the deceased Gilbert EVANS, who died on Thursday last the 27th ult, in Burrough's Gardens. Having heard since his interment the most alarming details of his wife. I beg, for God's sake, that he may be raised for examination. I heard that she put a strong needle through the chair, which went through a certain part of his person, and was likely to cause death. From certain details I am inclined to believe that she put a pillow to his mouth, which caused suffocation. They were four years separated by reason of her acting the harlot with certain men. It can be proved that she gave him a pint of ale two hours before his death, which appears very singular."
The coroner called the attention of the widow to the letter, which was read to her and she most positively denied the allegations contained in it. After putting some questions to her, the coroner said he considered the thing merely an idle tale, without any foundation, and he could not take any further notice of it.
Subsequently the writer of the letter had an interview with the coroner, and made certain statements which induced him to believe an inquiry was necessary. The witnesses were ordered to attend today when the investigation will be proceeded with.
Liverpool Mercury, February 8, 1853
Inquests held yesterday by Mr P. F. Curry
On an infant Sarah Jane HARRIS, 2mths, who lived with her parents at 29 Richmond Row, who died suddenly on Thursday night last, when the parents woke on Friday morning they found the child dead, the child had been ill from the Thursday previous but had been given no medicine, Dr Whittle, was of the opinion the child died from inflammation of the bowel, verdict “Death from natural causes”
On the body of Henry KELLY, a labourer at the Albert Dock who fell into the hold of a vessel called the, Marion, whilst removing sugar in bags on the 17th ult. He died on Saturday morning in the Southern Hospital from his injuries, verdict, “Accidental death.”